• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X and GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5 available by June 2016

Why are people surprised? They haven't led with the flagship enthusiast part for a few generations of releases.

Baby steps with a 300 mm^2 die, then release a 500 mm^2 monster when yields are better and the process is more understood.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Need something to replace my 970's for VR.

They have done me good, albeit very short-lived.

Thinking I will go with a 1080 and sell my 970's.

Hopefully it's powerful enough to play 4K and ramp up VR.

Atolm

I bought my first PC in ten years earlier this week with 970, I don't regret it since I just wasn't physically able to wait more. Now I think I'll just wait for the 1080ti.

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
Might replace my 980 with a (used) 980Ti and then wait for the 1080Ti.

K' Dash

Gold Member
Come On AMD!

GiantMenacingArgentinehornedfrog-size_restricted.gif

Teletraan1

Banned
This thread is just more speculation and contains the same speculation the other thread that has been on the first page of GAF for a year. Yet people are taking it as gospel as to what the performance and price of these cards are. I would wait for benches and an official price announcement before declaring any company dead to you or whatever melodrama I have read in this thread so far.

I am going to be getting either a 1070 or 1080 and I am leaning toward the latter if the price premium is not too steep. I am upgrading from a 670 (2GB) so win lose or draw I am going to be getting a massive improvement. The only issue I have is finding a card that does not have one of those coil whine blower style fans. Never again.

None of this sounds completely unlikely (and it's basically just a summary of earlier rumours), but calling wccf a "source" is denigrating the term.

In any case, my Vive might compel me to upgrade a tier higher than normal -- that is, to a 1080 -- though if it's just a few % off the 1070 I don't think I'll be able to justify it to myself (at the expected price gap).

This, WCCF tech never offer anything but baseless rumors, OP you should fix your title because you're stating these things asif they're confirmed

paskowitz

The X80 card has never been a good value. It is the awkward middle child of Nvidia's lineup. Not as powerful as the X80 Ti and not as good of a value as the X70.

I wasted my time and money upgrading from a MSI 770 ($330, sold at $200) to a MSI 980 ($600, sold at $420) and then to an EVGA 980 Ti Classified ($700). The 980 was a $300 waste in that equation.

I know some of you are on old hardware and waiting is tough, but if you are eyeing 4k or 2K/144hz or HDR gaming (which you should) I would strongly advise waiting for the 1080 Ti. And if not, saving your money and going with the 1070.

Another thing to think about is we do not know how well Pascal will overclock. Maxwell overclocked really well (assuming you got a good chip). The reference card had a 1075Mhz boost clock and many AIB cards could reach 1500Mhz. I am sure the 1080 will be faster stock vs stock. Stock vs OC and OC vs OC is not as certain.

This thread is just more speculation and contains the same speculation the other thread that has been on the first page of GAF for a year. Yet people are taking it as gospel as to what the performance and price of these cards are. I would wait for benches and an official price announcement before declaring any company dead to you or whatever melodrama I have read in this thread so far.

I am going to be getting either a 1070 or 1080 and I am leaning toward the latter if the price premium is not too steep. I am upgrading from a 670 (2GB) so win lose or draw I am going to be getting a massive improvement. The only issue I have is finding a card that does not have one of those coil whine blower style fans. Never again.

These threads are always a shitshow doing a shitstorm

Nothing ever really happens until official news comes out and then it's either 1. Shut up and take m money or 2. Groaning over how much the product is

It's nauseating and awesome at the same time

Tanston

I'm waiting on these new cards for a new computer build.....getting tired of waiting wish we'd get some real news already with prices. I'm trying to keep it around 1k for the build so I really need a mid range bang for your buck card.

neoemonk

cant wait to buy a cheaper 960/70/80 thanks to this. i cannot fathom how some of you upgrade seasonally. I'm using a 660 gtx just fine with recent games, i imagine a 980 will last me until 2020.

but ill gladly buy your old ones cheap, so thanks for that at least!

I'll shove a 1080 or 1070 in my current desktop that I'm going to use as my TV box. I'll wait on a ti or Titan for my VR build.

I'm with the first person here...but wish I had the bankroll of the second one lol

I know this leak is from wccf and I'm kind of new to the scene on what tech sources are reliable, but most of this info is the culmination of information on the graphics cards power comes from other sources on the net as well. Videocardz.com has leaked much of the info as well. Again, not sure if they are a reliable source here either.

Zaph

10-20% performance gain over the 980ti? Yeah, glad I didn't wait for this and got a 980ti at launch.

I hope the new high-end cards with HBM2 aren't too far behind - as great as the 980ti is, it's just far too easy to hit its performance ceiling and I can't be bothered with SLI hassle.

Luminaire

I doubt it with a 3570k not significantly at least. Unless you're aiming for extremely high frame rates or are playing very CPU intensive games like Arma 3 or high intensity RTS games.

Even then the 3570k is still very capable, it just might show some minor performance degradation.

Thanks, I know I can dig through tons of articles and research on google but it helps to have someones opinion. A new build is in the cards but I may wait until early 2017 like some other people. It's so tempting to bump up when these come out as the 980tis should hopefully drop in price like others are saying.

neoemonk

10-20% performance gain over the 980ti? Yeah, glad I didn't wait for this and got a 980ti at launch.

I hope the new high-end cards with HBM2 aren't too far behind - as great as the 980ti is, it's just far too easy to hit its performance ceiling and I can't be bothered with SLI hassle.

Just curious, what are you running to hit that ceiling? I've got a 670 and I will be upgrading to either this line or the 900 series based on how price to performance shakes out when these cards hit, and would like to know what to expect when I do.

quesalupa

Still waiting for 1080ti vs AMD 400 Fury X (or whatever they'll call it). These cards seem decent enough but I'm trying to go 4K.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
That's an average jump assuming the source is correct. However, I think I'll just buy another 980Ti and run an SLI setup. I should roughly get 70% more performance which should be enough to run all games in 4K/60fps. I know SLI has problems but I do not want to ditch my 980Ti for this card as I feel like I've still not gotten my money's worth yet with the current one. Ultimately it all depends on whether I want to play games in 4K and if the price drop is reasonable enough to get another one.

Zaph

Just curious, what are you running to hit that ceiling? I've got a 670 and I will be upgrading to either this line or the 900 series based on how price to performance shakes out when these cards hit, and would like to know what to expect when I do.

Only a Asus 1440p/165hz monitor - but if you like your games to look pretty, that's a lot of pixels to push. For most recent games I hover around 30-50fps - Gsync helps a lot to smooth things out, but it's still no substitute for >60fps.

Only a Asus 1440p/165hz monitor - but if you like your games to look pretty, that's a lot of pixels to push. For most recent games I hover around 30-50fps - Gsync helps a lot to smooth things out, but it's still no substitute for >60fps.

Out of curiosity, what games?

June and at rumored performance/price?

dissapointed.gif

The 7970(OC) 3GB I borrowed has been enough to get 60fps with acceptable IQ for now. I guess I can wait and see what AMD does.

June and at rumored performance/price?

dissapointed.gif

The 7970(OC) 3GB I borrowed has been enough to get 60fps with acceptable IQ for now. I guess I can wait and see what AMD does.

Prepare to be even more disappointed.

I think the end of the year/next year is when the exciting stuff is coming out for both companies.

Bl@de

Ehm why a new thread? We have a Pascal thread. I don't see anything thread worthy. The usual rumours and no official specs :/

Zoggy

Yes, you people with 980 ti's should definitely upgrade.

Your card is outdated and literally unplayable

LCGeek

formerly sane
Knew nvidia would do this shit. Not buying nothing from them till HBM2 is even on models like these. Gonna be a long time team green, this 970 was gotten for like 230$ don't see a deal like that happening anytime soon. Only good thing I see here is they are giving us 8GB which I didn't expect.

Pascal looks strong lets hope the SKU can match up.

Zaph

Out of curiosity, what games?

Recently? Division, RotTR and Witcher3 all are <60 for significant portions. Yeah I could probably turn the settings down more - but I'd prefer to just throw more power at it.

Knew nvidia would do this shit. Not buying nothing from them till HBM2 is even on models like these. Gonna be a long time team green, this 970 was gotten for like 230$ don't see a deal like that happening anytime soon. Only good thing I see here is they are giving us 8GB which I didn't expect.

Pascal looks strong lets hope the SKU can match up.

A 970 for $230 is incredible price/performance, given the legs of that card. I wouldn't bank on a similar situation happening soon.

Is there likely going to be a price drops with older cards?

Just made a rig for the first time in 20 years and got everything apart from the graphics card.

Interested in the 970 but don't fancy paying more than £200.

These cards will most likely signal my long awaited return to PC gaming. Been rocking a i7-920, GTX 285 for like 5 years now. Bought a house so have had different financial priorities the last few years but starting to get comfortable again. Would have liked a big boost over the current cards but I'm not playing the waiting game forever. I will also keep an eye on AMD's offerings

I feel no buyers remorse for my 980ti looking at those cards.

That's an average jump assuming the source is correct. However, I think I'll just buy another 980Ti and run an SLI setup. I should roughly get 70% more performance which should be enough to run all games in 4K/60fps. I know SLI has problems but I do not want to ditch my 980Ti for this card as I feel like I've still not gotten my money's worth yet with the current one. Ultimately it all depends on whether I want to play games in 4K and if the price drop is reasonable enough to get another one.

These cards aren't meant to replace the 980TI. These are 980 and 970 replacements.

We have these cards to launch, then the next TITAN, then the next TI card. It's still a ways off.

Top Bottom