• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X and GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5 available by June 2016

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Sticking with my 970 until it can't do 1080p/60 then it'll be time for a completely new build.

Onemic

The 1080 will only be roughly faster than the 980Ti depending on clocks? That sounds really bad.

And it seems like Nvidia are doing a paper launch based on that article.

KKRT00

Is there likely going to be a price drops with older cards?

Just made a rig for the first time in 20 years and got everything apart from the graphics card.

Interested in the 970 but don't fancy paying more than £200.

For the first months i would not think so, but You dont have to buy new ones.
Just buy used ones.

I have a GTX770 2GB right now and I'm just looking for a good excuse to upgrade. I have to tinker with settings a lot, but I can still nudge up to 1080/60. I just want a new GPU so I can also get another new monitor that's 1440/144 or a 4K monitor. Think I might wait on AMD's offerings and then decide from there.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-19162-1384147513-5.gif

The Witcher 3 at 1440p 60fps ultra here I come!

(I'm currently rocking a 960 2gb)

John Wick

These tiny jumps in performance are everything that is wrong with GPU manufacturing these days.

Is it too much to ask to have a single gpu capable of running GTA V at 4k/60fps with all the settings maxed out? (Minus MSAA of course.) I expect the rate things are going that is going to be a very long way off isn't it? I mean you can't even get a solid 60fps with a 980ti with everything cranked up.

I guess I just expected a bigger leap, I should probably set my expectations way lower.

They probably could build one but it'd probably consume Ridiculous amounts of power and produce mega heat. Also at a stupid price of £2000+ not many will buy it

I was expecting to feel some buyers remorse come this day due to buying my 970 just before the holidays but as it turns out, I think I made the right choice. For quite a while, well before these things were even close to release I've been kinda thinking that it may be better to wait on Volta and skip Pascal. I remember there being a lot of buzz about how this gen of GPU's was supposed to be a big leap but it feels like they missed that mark when they had to bypass HBM2 and it doesn't seem like anything more than another typical yearly upgrade now.

Prepare to be even more disappointed.

I think the end of the year/next year is when the exciting stuff is coming out for both companies.

Yeah, maybe the price/performance battle will move to the 1060/480 spot. I always preferred that range, but the 970 was too good. Should have got that or the 390 last year.

Hell if the 390 had a decent game promotion I would jump on it.

Kind of amazed that people are considering replacing their 900 level cards. I'm rocking the 570 still, and I have only recently started to contemplate replacing it.

The 1080 will only be roughly faster than the 980Ti depending on clocks? That sounds really bad.

Well, supposedly it is a 300mm^2 chip (which is very small for a "high end" card with a premium price tag), so its not surprising. 980Ti was twice as large.
I know that the new process is going to be expensive (especially in the beginning), but this still seems disappointing.

What's the most demanding PC game at the moment? Crysis 3? GTA V? QB? ROTR? Of those I've got GTA V and Cryis 3 which run sub-optimally on my 290. If these cards are available before AMD and they run any of those games 1080/60 then I'll be happy to wait and see if AMD can do any better. If they can't I'll go for green.

low-G

Seems completely useless if they're charging the same price for a nominal improvement.

Why would you pay $650 for a 10% improvement on a card that you bought a while ago for $650? Idiotic (if it comes to that).

I have a 970, but I won't pay $650 for something that performs like a 980Ti. I already skipped that pricepoint choice.

Thaedolus

I'll stick with my 980 until the 1080ti drops...then I'll probably do a complete new build to replace my 2600k and 8GB RAM and get set up for VR. As of now I am not hurting too badly at 1440p

cyen

What's the most demanding PC game at the moment? Crysis 3? GTA V? QB? ROTR? Of those I've got GTA V and Cryis 3 which run sub-optimally on my 290. If these cards are available before AMD and they run any of those games 1080/60 then I'll be happy to wait and see if AMD can do any better. If they can't I'll go for green.

Quantum Break takes the cake right know, ultra 1440p on a 980Ti stays on low 20´s fps.

knitoe

Kind of amazed that people are considering replacing their 900 level cards. I'm rocking the 570 still, and I have only recently started to contemplate replacing it.

Sometimes it's simply about having the latest and greatest

There are some of us whom wants to play at 4K @ 60fps or 1440p @ 144hz with ~max settings. That's hard to do right now with even SLI Titans X / 980ti on recent AAA games. Now, if you play at low resolution, don't care about fps and/or max settings, you don't need to upgrade for a few years.

Depending on price and performance it'll either be nVidia or AMD for me. I want to make the jump to a 1440p 144hz monitor soon and I need a new card to drive that sucker.

Sizzel

So it looks like this is the same as last run?

1070 almost 980ti and 1080 a smidge better than 980ti and presumably in 6-12 months the "good" cards come out. Titan first to grab enthusiasts cash then 1080TI two months or so afterwards for normal folk.

1070 is going to be the move for most people as long as it is 350 ish ala 970. if that is the case 100% worth the upgrade for 980 and below IMO. Sell 970 for about 200-250 and voila. I am sticking with my 980ti until 1080ti drops.

Quantum Break takes the cake right know, ultra 1440p on a 980Ti stays on low 20´s fps.

What?! :O

I'm expecting a new monitor on the 3rd, the Viewsonic XG2401, after agonising over whether to upgrade to 21:9, 1440p, 4K etc. News like that makes me glad I went with 1080p.

TheExodu5

Banned
I need to upgrade since I'm still on an aging 680.

I really regret not getting a 970 at launch, especially considering it's gone up in price with the poor Canadian dollar.

Bummer for me. Been waiting to build a gaming PC until the "new" 980ti equivalent.... Seems I'll be waiting a while :/ I wonder when that will drop.

Stasis

Yay, I can complete my new build this Summer. I still wanna see what Polaris offers but I'm kind of an Nvidia fanboy now after having owned AMD cards for a long while.

Don't think I'll wait until 2017 for the HBM cards. A 1070/80 with 8gb* should be more than fine for me for a decent amount of time.

Cimarron

This is not great news. :( well I guess I will be holding onto my 980 sli rig for a while. I should have waited for the 980ti. But hopefully the 1080ti will be all that we have dreamed about.

LeleSocho

Banned
These tiny jumps in performance are everything that is wrong with GPU manufacturing these days.

Is it too much to ask to have a single gpu capable of running GTA V at 4k/60fps with all the settings maxed out? (Minus MSAA of course.) I expect the rate things are going that is going to be a very long way off isn't it? I mean you can't even get a solid 60fps with a 980ti with everything cranked up.

I guess I just expected a bigger leap, I should probably set my expectations way lower.

If you have some magic thing that defies the laws of physics please tell us...
Already to reach what we have manufacturers have to create enormous 600mm2 chips.

Freiya

Recently? Division, RotTR and Witcher3 all are <60 for significant portions. Yeah I could probably turn the settings down more - but I'd prefer to just throw more power at it.

A 970 for $230 is incredible price/performance, given the legs of that card. I wouldn't bank on a similar situation happening soon.
That's weird. You would think 1 980ti could 60 fps Witcher 3 at 1080p. I have 980ti sli and I run it 4k 60fps max settings no aa. Maybe something wrong with your setup.

If you have some magic thing that defies the laws of physics please tell us...
Already to reach what we have manufacturers have to create enormous 600mm2 chips.

Doesn't justify the high prices. 980 Ti costing $650 is obscene given the lacklustre performance for 4K.

Gitaroo

Is this based on a new architecture that is more efficient for DX12? If this is suppose be a 970 replacement price needs to be a lot lower.

Top Bottom