• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X and GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5 available by June 2016

Durante

None of this sounds completely unlikely (and it's basically just a summary of earlier rumours), but calling wccf a "source" is denigrating the term.

In any case, my Vive might compel me to upgrade a tier higher than normal -- that is, to a 1080 -- though if it's just a few % off the 1070 I don't think I'll be able to justify it to myself (at the expected price gap).

tci

Not sure what card to get yet. Depends on price and reviews.

My 780 is starting to show its age.

Should a 1080 get me max settings at 1080p/60 until next gen (whatever that means now) not counting performance eaters like some crazy custom AA and physics settings?

There is never ever a guarantee of 1080/60, let alone at max settings. Some games are simply technical messes and some games have very high requirements in general or specific settings that are resource hogs. But if you're asking whether or not a 1080 (being >980ti level) will be doing that for most things, the answer is "probably". The iterative PS4 upgrade might raise the ceiling for some third party games that take advantage of it for extra effects and such which could find their way into some PC games. But I would not expect that to prevent you from getting great performance, the 980ti is still much stronger than the PS4k will be assuming rumours are accurate and it's double the PS4 roughly.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Ill get the 1080. Need to change my 2gb 770 sometime soon. This sounds good

The 970 and 980 are going to be on release of the 1080/1070 1 1/2 years old. They are virtually the same price in EU as on release because of unfavorable exchange rate developments.
The thought of the 1080/1070 starting at 500-650 EUR and offering only a 30-50% performance boost is terrifying.

I want something near 980-980Ti power for ~300-350€. I think Polaris 10 is the best bet for that this summer.

If Polaris kicks ass I might finally build a media centre PC to run AMD while I'm running Nvid on my regular desktop.

Nahhhh probably too lazy and I definitely don't need it.

Ill get the 1080. Need to change my 2gb 770 sometime soon. This sounds good

That'll be an enormous boost.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm interested in this and the Polaris launches not because I'm actually interested in these cards, but because I'm looking for price drops on the stuff that came out last year.

I picked up an R9 280X in 2014 for $180 that has pretty much been playing games on High for the past few years. I'd love to be able to upgrade to nVidia/AMD's year-old cards for sub-$200. I don't see the point of paying more than that when I'm still gaming on 1080p.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I really don't see why any current TI owner would jump on the 1080, myself included, you know and I know as soon as the TI comes along we're going to want to upgrade, so the question is do you need the extra power over the 980ti for the several months between the 1080 and 1080ti release?

holygeesus

Banned
All this shows just how revolutionary a card the 970 was. Any increase in speed over the 980ti should be tempered by the fact that top range AMD cards are starting to show similar gains in some recent games. I can't wait to see what they come up with next which is why I'm glad still I bought my 980ti in January as it will last me till they emerge it looks like.

brawly

Was in for a 1070, but the memory situation has me thinking that a 1080 may be better. Previously the performance increase from the 970 to the 980 wasn't really worth the price increase.

At what resolution does that difference in vram come into play?

I have a 290X right now...I know the 1080 would be an upgrade over that (no way I could afford it though) but going off of the rumored specs how would the 1070 compare to what I have now? Or is it way too early to say? 1070 would at least be more affordable I would suppose.

bj00rn_

Banned
This is stupid. I'm officially off the Nvidia bandwagon.

Edit: Unless the 1080 is sensible priced and benchmarks show a significant difference (to my OC'ed 970) in VR..

Given that the die size is around the 300mm² mark, we are looking at performance levels roughly faster than the GTX 980 Ti (depending on how it is clocked).

That's not what I was hoping for.

I'm really looking for a 4k capable card. This doesn't sound like it...

My 570 is just dragging ass over here.

Kezen

Banned
Was in for a 1070, but the memory situation has me thinking that a 1080 may be better. Previously the performance increase from the 970 to the 980 wasn't really worth the price increase.
If you play at 1440p and above or with high amounts of MSAA the higher bandwidth of GDDR5X will prove useful.

Jimrpg

I'm in if the 1080 is 50% faster than the 980Ti.

The 980ti is decent as a 1440p/60 but my monitor is 1440/144 so I need something stronger. I could SLI but I need to buy a new motherboard and I don't really want to do that.

I havent really had issues with my 970 but now that I have a 144hz monitor i might just upgrade. I need some serious gains with the 1080 though. Hopefully this isnt just a BS gen

takriel

cant wait to buy a cheaper 960/70/80 thanks to this. i cannot fathom how some of you upgrade seasonally. I'm using a 660 gtx just fine with recent games, i imagine a 980 will last me until 2020.

but ill gladly buy your old ones cheap, so thanks for that at least!
One smart man you are

OmegaDL50

My monitor is 1440p, and I downsample where possible too.

I don't own a PC monitor and game on a 32" HDTV at a max resolution 1080p. Also this is one of the better HDTVs for use as a PC monitor because it's 60hz and Full RGB 4:4:4 Chroma.

So if I do upgrade to a GTX 1080 I wouldn't be able to run in 4K unless I replaced my display, so I also will probably be downsampling from 1440 to my TV's native anyways.

It's just a matter of waiting for aftermarket variants from EVGA or MSI for me.

Jimrpg

I really don't see why any current TI owner would jump on the 1080, myself included, you know and I know as soon as the TI comes along we're going to want to upgrade, so the question is do you need the extra power over the 980ti for the several months between the 1080 and 1080ti release?

The 980 was faster than the 780ti so I think if they wanted to they could easily make the 1080 faster than the 980ti and it would make financial sense too... May as well get everyone to upgrade to the 1080 and upgrade again when the 1080ti/titan hits

jax

Banned
Of course this would be announced a day after I order my 980. Looks like it's going back to Amazon!
in 30 days after I use it for the Vive

Jedi2016

Based on everything else, I think they still have a TI variant up their sleeves. I'll hold out for the GP100 and HBM2 memory.

At the very least, I'll wait until they finish announcing the entire 1080 line before I make a decision. I need a new card badly, but I don't want to jump the gun.

KingBroly

Banned
DerZuhälter;202350701 said:
The 970 and 980 are going to be on release of the 1080/1070 1 1/2 years old. They are virtually the same price in EU as on release because of unfavorable exchange rate developments.
The thought of the 1080/1070 starting at 500-650 EUR and offering only a 30-50% performance boost is terrifying.

When you look at their PC marketshare, it's unfortunately not that surprising. While AMD has the console space, their PC presence is seemingly getting worse. It's going to take a while for AMD to get back into the game, if they can at all.

I'm excited for these. I've got a freshly built computer (slowly re-gathering parts after RMAs) with no GPU waiting for whichever one of these cards hits the price-to-performance ratio I like. Probably the 1070, though I might buy a used 970 too.

Luminaire

Hm, been running a Radeon 6950 for a few years. Might be time to upgrade but I'm wondering if I might hit a bottleneck with my i5-3570k.

Perhaps a complete new build might be a good idea.

Didnt think they would increase the number to 1080, I figured they woukd start a new line lol. Anyway this is pretty cool news, hopefully the 980 line will become a bit cheaper now.

Marmelade

I'd be more than disappointed if the 1080 is just a little faster than a 980 Ti.
I mean a 980 beat a 780 Ti and that was on the same node...

I would expect a bigger difference from a new GPU on a 16nm node

JordanKZ

One rumour isn't enough for anyone to jump to conclusions.

However, expecting significantly faster than 980ti performance from the mid high cards like the x70 and x80 cards is crazy. The Ti and Titan are always faster, sometimes significantly so, and will probably hit in Q1.

Let's wait and see, shall we?

Didnt think they would increase the number to 1080, I figured they woukd start a new line lol. Anyway this is pretty cool news, hopefully the 980 line will become a bit cheaper now.
That's still yet TBD on the naming. The rumor is all based on the leaked cooler shroud pictures that have surfaced as well as the next logical number increase from the 900 series into the 1000 series.

Hm, been running a Radeon 6950 for a few years. Might be time to upgrade but I'm wondering if I might hit a bottleneck with my i5-3570k.

Perhaps a complete new build might be a good idea.

I doubt it with a 3570k not significantly at least. Unless you're aiming for extremely high frame rates or are playing very CPU intensive games like Arma 3 or high intensity RTS games.

Even then the 3570k is still very capable, it just might show some minor performance degradation.

I think people waiting for the 1080TI will be waiting a long time.

The next Titan in December of this year maybe, THEN the 1080TI around this time next year.

Remember Nvidia needs to milk customers with the TITAN before the next TI :)

Think I'll be better off just getting a 2nd 970.

The problem is the prices never really drop. It's not like it was years ago where you could pick up the second card at a markedly decent discount. The 970 price has barely changed. Like $30-50 over the last two years. It's been like that since the 600 series. Nvidia really figured out how to curb end of life price decrease to keep people upgrading to new cards. The plus side is that it's kept older cards values up so you can still sell them for a decent price.

takriel

I think people waiting for the 1080TI will be waiting a long time.

The next Titan in December of this year maybe, THEN the 1080TI around this time next year.

Remember Nvidia needs to milk customers with the TITAN before the next TI :)
So wait another year? Perfectly fine by me.
My 980 Ti will have had two years worth of performance, which is great considering the high price.

Top Bottom