• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA currently investigating how to make Shenmue 1/2 HD a reality

Z8hbhna.gif

RPGCrazied

Do it!! And release it on everything possible. That would hype up 3 for sure.

Don't do it, I'm in no hurry to play 3, cause I want to play the first 2. Don't remember them.

Balb

They have to be pretty smart about it, I think. If they don't get new players in the right mindset, I could see them not really taking to Shenmue I & II.

Adnor

Banned
They should had this ready when they announced the Kickstarter, one of the biggest reasons I didn't pledge was because I haven't played the original games and can't without buying it them at really high prices.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
No way Sega can afford the licensing agreements to keep all the product placement in there.

I smell a moneyhat coming.

Illucio

Banned
Would make a ton of sense considering 3 is on the way and a lot of people don't know anything about the series other then it showed up and was hyped about at E3.

Fuckssake, I was expecting an E3 announcement at this rate, yet they're still investigating how to make it a reality.

Oh well, better than the constant stream of radio silence we've gotten before I suppose.

wwm0nkey

Didn't they have one done on 360 but never released it? I believe there was an image on a 360 devkit or something with a few other games.

EDIT: Found it!
Shenmue-XBLA-Leak-500x281.jpg

StereoVsn

Step 1 - find the code.
Step 2 - upres graphics if you can.
Step 3 - release on Xbone and PS4
Step 4 - ???
Step 5 - Profit.

Erevador

In many ways Shenmue has never had a fair shot.

It was released on a console with a fast approaching expiration date. Shenmue 2 was released on the Xbox, which didn't cater to Japanophiles, and didn't have the original game available. I think there has always been large group of people who were interested in Shenmue, but simply didn't have the right console to play it.

Finally bringing the series to the dominant platform (and hopefully PC) will give it a chance to reach anyone interested.

LiK

Didn't they have one done on 360 but never released it? I believe there was an image on a 360 devkit or something with a few other games.

there was a fan who was doing a high res version with images floating around a few years ago. dunno what happened to it.

Fuckssake, I was expecting an E3 announcement at this rate, yet they're still investigating how to make it a reality.

Oh well, better than the constant stream of radio silence we've gotten before I suppose.

SEGA is making baby steps, at a molasses speed but still progress.
*Goes back to crying in the corner about Skies of Arcadia HD never coming*

SMG

I have played Shenmue 1 atleast 11 times start to finish, Once all the way through on Christmas day, the biggest draw of these would be achivemnts. Just enough excuse for a couple more run throughs.

Yawnier

Banned
Investigating? So sounds like it would be a few years off if they get a developer to make it.

Would be great if they could get a 1/2 HD collection out before 3 releases.

Alx

and want to include the licensed products from the original game.

Licensed products as in Coke and Timex ? We could live without those. Unless they're thinking of Hang on and Space Harrier, but I suppose they still own them.

Mugen08

Oh yeah. That's a good Sega-minute in that clip. First talk about Shenmue 1&2 HD and then Valkyria EU unpacking.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Here's a reminder as to why it's not that easy to make

CHt5aFEWoAEWNBx.jpg:large

That sounds like a pain in the butt, especially since Sega isn't the size it once was. Hopefully Shenmue III is making the footwork/blood/sweat/tears involved in getting the licences sorted out worthwhile for Sega.

Investigating sure sounds pretty positive though, I actually think this might happen now.

Corpekata

Banned
I imagine they want to time it so it works with Shenmue 3's release, which is likely still fairly far off. Porting them now leaves too large a gap. I'd expect them like a year before 3's release.

Compsiox

Banned

EDIT: Found it!
Shenmue-XBLA-Leak-500x281.jpg

Probably fake considering the subject of the leak is being covered. They obviously don't want you to see how badly done the fake actually is.

Top Bottom