• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA currently investigating how to make Shenmue 1/2 HD a reality

ajim

Shin Ishikawa (Shenmue II Xbox team leader) [2003] :

Code:
[B]Q: Did you have any trouble converting Shenmue II to the Xbox? [/B]
A: Apart from the aforementioned difficulty with transparencies, no, not really. The Xbox was easy to work with.

[B]Q: How long did it take to convert the game?[/B]
A: The entire project took [U]eight [/U]months, which is quite short for a game this big.

http://www.the-nextlevel.com/features/interviews/am2/

And about the so-called proprietary "library":

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/am2-to-license-shenmue-development-tools/1100-2698497/

source: http://shenmueangel.free.fr/news2.php?id=398
So...they're not investigating hard enough is that what you're saying?

Varg

Banned
A lot of gamers are in for a rude awakening playing these titles again. You think you want it but Sony better market it right because a lot of gamers are going to be left confused and left with a bad taste in their mouth for shenmue 3. It's a niche taste . If I were them I would just ride out the nolstagia trip and just release shenmue 3 to maximize sales. Releasing the older games may scare some away that are on the fence

IrishNinja

really is a shame that JGR & NiGHTS HD didn't sell well, we lost this & Arcadia both

still, i've been sitting on my replays (III's not due anytime soon), really hoping this gets sorted!

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
A lot of gamers are in for a rude awakening playing these titles again. You think you want it but Sony better market it right because a lot of gamers are going to be left confused and left with a bad taste in their mouth for shenmue 3. It's a niche taste . If I were them I would just ride out the nolstagia trip and just release shenmue 3 to maximize sales. Releasing the older games may scare some away that are on the fence

Ideally they'd update the controls for a more standard dual stick navigation+look arrangement. Definitely feels clunky now.

OTOH, with the resurgence of adventure games and the rise of walking simulators, I don't know why Shenmue is a thing that cannot be enjoyed by people.

People thought the same thing about REmake with its tank controls, but it was well received all over again.

I feel that a hd collection will be unveiled at e3 as they've brought up again. Either that or theres no chance and sega release a movie collection of the first 2 instead!

TrueBlue

I hope it happens. The holy trinity completely passed me by at last years E3, but now I've played Final Fantasy VII, this series is next on my list.

Spaghetti

?

You mean SEGA.

Sony's involvement with the series is strictly limited (at the moment) to publishing and marketing Shenmue III on PS4 ONLY and nothing else. They will likely have no involvement in a Shenmue HD collection unless there is an issue SEGA definitely cannot solve alone.

But regarding the rest, I think more people will appreciate what Shenmue does in 2016/2017's more diverse gaming landscape than in 1999. Shenmue had no real contemporaries back then, but now comparisons to games like Life is Strange, The Witcher 3, The Last of Us, etc, can be fairly easily made.

And let's be real. People who want to play Shenmue know what they're in for, and they're okay with it, flaws and all, because they know there's something special and unique to enjoy in there.

A HD Collection is also going to introduce people again to the largely ignored Shenmue II, which is a much improved and accessible version of the Shenmue formula set out in the original game,
and is also secretly one of the best video games ever.

Just received this gem today. If Sega could bring an HD collection, I would buy the sh*t out of it.

Ci4SiiFUUAAmxsy.jpg:large

Aspiring

I play them every year and only just finished again recently. Besides some control issues which should be fixed and maybe a wuick save option in shenmue 1 there is nothing wrong with them and they are still amazing to play.

Wink

I play them every year and only just finished again recently. Besides some control issues which should be fixed and maybe a wuick save option in shenmue 1 there is nothing wrong with them and they are still amazing to play.

That's because you know exactly what you're in for, many people who never played Shenmue are gonna scratch their heads what all this carrying boxes, stereotypical characters and slow pacing is about.
I like them, but there's no denying many of the mechanics even beyond the controls are very outdated.

Neff

People thought the same thing about REmake with its tank controls, but it was well received all over again.

For most, RE simply works better as a videogame and is way more marketable than Shenmue is, and I say this as a fan of the first Shenmue game.

I don't know if 'rude awakening' is something I'd agree with or expect, but there's no doubt that the love for these games is incredibly niche, and was so at the time of release.

Top Bottom