• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA currently investigating how to make Shenmue 1/2 HD a reality

MrT-Tar

First Shenmue I & II HD

Then Jet Set Radio Future HD

Then Panzer Dragoon HD Collection

Then Shining Force III HD Collection (in English)

Then Segagaga HD

giphy.gif

SMG

First Shenmue I & II HD

Then Jet Set Radio Future HD

Then Panzer Dragoon HD Collection

Then Shining Force III HD Collection (in English)

Then Segagaga HD

giphy.gif

I want to live in a world where Sega spams digital retail with all thier old games. Why can't I give them cash for a arcade port of Last Bronx?

KingJ2002

It would be good if they did it prior to the Shenmue 3 release... let players get up to speed on the franchise.

Saoshyant

Why can't I give them cash for a arcade port of Last Bronx?

Because there's no money in it.

Sega of Europe (the guys who do PC ports) are run by a skeleton crew. If they are going to bet on a horse, it has to be a winning one out of the gate or they will be reduced further into nothing.

Goliath

SEGA, don't bother releasing Shemnue 1&2 HD on the PS4 or XB1. It CLEARLY isn't working for Capcom with their profitless resident evil HD remakes..........

SEGA, don't bother releasing Shemnue 1&2 HD on the PS4 or XB1. It CLEARLY isn't working for Capcom with their profitless resident evil HD remakes..........

SEGA are so fucking slow as molasses with this. They've had at least a couple of years to action this knowing that S3 was happening. And they're only just now "investigating" it when S3 will be probably be out before they get off their butts and take advantage of sales of a HD remaster of those two games. At least Capcom had the sense of re-release REmake and RE0 before the RE2 remake releases.

Shadoken

Is it really that difficult to do some simple ports? I don't think people would mind if the licensed products change.

Am trying to think as to what licensed stuff the game even had. I cant even remember them. The sodas were all Jet-Cola or something. Hardly doubt anyone is going to care.

The only memorable licensed thing were the arcade machines , which were SEGA games themselves.

Wow are you serious? If so you just made my day wow!

PSO2 is coming sooo late. I feel like they would announce the next PSO game by the time it comes here.

Then they will not bring that over because PSO2 didnt "perform well in the west" :(

Its a lose lose situation.

Joqu

I'm tired of trying to get my Dreamcast copy working, so I really need this to happen. I want to experience these games before Shenmue 3 releases.

Spaghetti

I assume the legal wrangling involved for licenced products is at least in a manageable state for them to say even this much.

So-

Shenmue HD Collection confirmed..?

The games still look great via emulator at 1080p, so even if they don't touch the visuals (beyond rendering at 16:9) the games should look great. Shenmue II's colour palette is awesome.

Control refinements and adding Shenmue II's save system into the original are changes I'm expecting, but I'd be happy to see what else can be done to enhance the games.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
PS4 and XB1 are large markets, so no, don't screw us over.

They said they were doing that last week and the Shenmue question this week even referenced that answer.

Would you please send me the link to the page it says it's coming to the west? I would have send you priv message but you don't allow so sorry for double post. Thank you.

Well, it's something at least. Do hope this isn't just for PR brownie points and they are actually looking into things.

And like someone said, if re-acquiring branding licenses act as a roadblock towards bringing the games back onto the scene, then they're probably better off replacing them. Getting the licenses back for the game would be nice to have, but shouldn't be necessary IMO.

jennetics

Not sure why they're "investigating" the issue since it's a super simple solution.

"Save As" the game data and change the type to ".HD" instead of ".dst" and ".xbx"

Typical lazy developers

Is a /s necessary for a reply like this? I'd hope it's obvious enough.

Hope they can finally find the motivation to jump over the legal hurdles and make this a reality. I'd love an HD refresher of Shenmue before the 3rd one comes out.

batfax

Branding? Screw that. Ryo can wear a Time-axe watch for all I care. I mean, they already changed Coke products to Jet Cola so what's the big deal?

qcf x2

I'm ready, but what is "Heych Dee?" I think it's time to ask everybody in town what they know about "Heych Dee."

Also they need to get the controls right. Game would be dope on steam w/ the mod potential.

They could slap the original discs image on an emulator and they would manage to get losses somehow.

Well, I mean, if one of the lucky new copyright holders for the engine's code notices they didn't get their cut, I'd say Sega'd get losses from the lawsuit.

I'm ready, but what is "Heych Dee?" I think it's time to ask everybody in town what they know about "Heych Dee."

Also they need to get the controls right. Game would be dope on steam w/ the mod potential.

Heych Dee? Are they related to Selfairea Blesh?

Freeman76

PSO2 is coming sooo late. I feel like they would announce the next PSO game by the time it comes here.

Then they will not bring that over because PSO2 didnt "perform well in the west" :(

Its a lose lose situation.

What the actual fuck? PSO2 being released in the West is a giant WIN for any fans of the franchise,which obviously you are not one of. Doesnt matter how late there are thousands of people who would jump on that.

Spaghetti

Here's a reminder as to why it's not that easy to make

CHt5aFEWoAEWNBx.jpg:large

It seems to be licensing issues with the engine.

Well, I mean, if one of the lucky new copyright holders for the engine's code notices they didn't get their cut, I'd say Sega'd get losses from the lawsuit.

Guys.

The video directly states "licenced products".

Either any middleware licencing was sorted already, or it was never a problem. I'm personally of the opinion it might never have been an issue, as nothing besides that one post ever substantiated anything regarding middleware problems. That's neither here nor there though.

Top Bottom