• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bear thanks Salmon for a fine meal, picks teeth with Salmon bones

jay

Sony (or posters speaking in their defense) manages to claim every technology by having a tech video of it from a decade ago but they don't seem to have the guts to lay things on the line for their new tech.

Vizion28

Banned
tokkun said:
Are people really still ignoring those Sony videos of their motion controller from 2004? I thought that was pretty convincing proof that they were not copying Nintendo's technology.

That was just a prototype and the Move looks much more like the Wiimote and Nunchuck than the wand in that video. Moreover Sony probably would have never jumped on the motion controls bandwagon when they were calling it a gimmick and fad which all changed when the Wii kept on selling.

Willy105 said:
That's more Eyetoy than Move, and apparently Iwata said they already tried doing camera-based motion control and rejected it.
But...that's what Move is.

Look, I don't give a shit either way. I don't care much for motion controls. But that video clearly shows Sony was R&Ding the current technology implemented in Move before the Nintendo Wii was even revealed. Though I will concede some of the Move software looks like a Wii Sports Resort ripoff. And the sub controller is a nunchuck too.

Vizion28 said:
Moreover Sony probably would have never jumped on the motion controls bandwagon when they were calling it a gimmick and fad which all changed when the Wii kept on selling.

So Sony had a guy working on motion control for a decade of his life just for fun?

jrricky

Banned
Refuting, challenging, and nitpicking Miyamoto's statements about this is very sad: Fanboys never seize to amaze me.

MrPliskin

Banned
Somnid said:
And nobody gives a shit about them. They originated obscurity.

The "prototype" was just a colored rod that the EyeToy could track. Everything else seemed pretty much lifted out of the Wiimote.

Actually, you should give a shit about them, because they generated, improved, and perfected a lot of the technology that is available in the Wii. Without those arcade systems, the technology may have not received the attention it needed, and may not have become as affordable for Nintendo.

Also, it doesn't matter what the prototype was, it clearly shows that they were looking into motion control, and that the form factor was to be something straight with a colored ball on top.

I could just as well argue that the design of the Wii-mote is lifted from a number of television remotes, or other motion control devices that I'm sure were available / demoed at CES and other events. Fact is, children get caught up in this "who copied who" business, when the reality is all of these competitors were probably looking into doing the exact same thing at some point in time, Nintendo was simply the one to take the plunge because, face it, they really weren't doing so hot with the Gamecube. Sometimes, you risk big, you win big.

Mudkips

Banned
tokkun said:
Are people really still ignoring those Sony videos of their motion controller from 2004? I thought that was pretty convincing proof that they were not copying Nintendo's technology.

Are people really still applying a "Nintendo invented the Wii on release day, but others had videos of shit around that time and therefore were working on shit for years!" filter?

It takes years to bring a product to market. I guarantee you Nintendo was working on the Wii well before 2004. I guarantee you Sony started playing around with similar stuff because they heard what Nintendo was working on.

The Nintendo hate is strong in this thread. Waggle won, and it's coming to your shit too, like it or not. Get over it.

ShockingAlberto said:
And once again GAF assumes that, because a thread was made about a quote, the person saying it must have called a press conference specifically to say so.

The interviewer couldn't have asked them the question, no.
i'm not sure what your point is here. miyamoto is a representative of nintendo; what he says will invariably be attributed to the company.

just because he didn't proclaim this at a press conference to make it, what, i guess "official"? are answers to interview questions impervious to scrutiny because they aren't wrapped in a nice prepared statement?

tokkun

civilstrife said:
Patented and demo'd. Not released...Until Wii was a proven success. Let's not kid ourselves. None of these companies invented motion control. They simply developed a form factor and packaged it successfully for the mainstream consumer. And Nintendo did it first.

Well, if you want to believe Richard Marks, Sony delayed their motion controller due to the cost of using high quality gyroscopes, whereas Nintendo decided to release a controller with low-fidelity motion sensing, then release a new product once the gyros were cost-effective.

Obviously it appears that Nintendo had superior business acumen in their approach, but it still seems pretty smug and disingenuous for someone from Nintendo to then come back and say that they are honored that Sony is doing it because they were so impressed by Nintendo.

Haunted

The detractors are right, we'd definitely be seeing Natal and Move being pushed so hugely like this if the Wii didn't exist at all.

*coughs*

Sony's motion controller, held in one hand with an optional sub controller released alongside a suite of casual-oriented software is not at all a response to Nintendo.

Mudkips

Banned
Mudkips said:
Are people really still applying a "Nintendo invented the Wii on release day, but others had videos of shit around that time and therefore were working on shit for years!" filter?

It takes years to bring a product to market. I guarantee you Nintendo was working on the Wii well before 2004. I guarantee you Sony started playing around with similar stuff because they heard what Nintendo was working on.

The Nintendo hate is strong in this thread. Waggle won, and it's coming to your shit too, like it or not. Get over it.

Speevy said:
You mean the console Nintendo and Sony were supposed to make together?

I think you mean the CD addon for the SNES.
And yeah, Nintendo said fuck off to Sony because the agreement was shit, the cost of the drives was ridiculous, they didn't like load times, etc.

Sony then ran with the SNES designs and began work on their own CD-based, updated clone.

The PS controller was a blatant copy of the the SNES controller.
This is not news. The N64 controller has analog and rumble? Queue the Dual Shock!

It's like people are blocking bits they don't like.

Vizion28

Banned
tokkun said:
Well, if you want to believe Richard Marks, Sony delayed their motion controller due to the cost of using high quality gyroscopes, whereas Nintendo decided to release a controller with low-fidelity motion sensing, then release a new product once the gyros were cost-effective.

Obviously it appears that Nintendo had superior business acumen in their approach, but it still seems pretty smug and disingenuous for someone from Nintendo to then come back and say that they are honored that Sony is doing it because they were so impressed by Nintendo.

So you honestly believe Sony and Microsoft would be releasing Move and Natal this gen if the Wii didn't exist?

MrPliskin

Banned
Haunted said:
The detractors are right, we'd definitely be seeing Natal and Move being pushed so hugely like this if the Wii didn't exist at all.

*coughs*

Given the amount of money 1st and 3rd parties have invested into accessories and add-ons, I think it's extremely likely that we would see something similar either this generation or next. Perhaps not as a primary focus, but most certainly as an accessory or something similar.

It's not like Eyetoy, powerglove, SuperScope, Sega Activator, etc. never existed. Clearly all of these competitors were looking into similar things, new ways to play games, etc, and open it up to casual gamers and the like.

Don't kid yourself.

AntMurda

Nintendo has motion control R&D dating to the Game Boy Color. They ended up using it on Koro Koro Kirby released on the Game Boy Color.

ShinNL

Haunted said:

*coughs*
Yeah, I'm shocked at all the posters in this thread thinking they're actually proving a point by playing with words when everyone who takes a step back can clearly see what's going on in the business.

Edit: MrPliskin, you're trying so hard to discredit Nintendo, it's cute.

Rabbitwork said:
i'm not sure what your point is here. miyamoto is a representative of nintendo; what he says will invariably be attributed to the company.

just because he didn't proclaim this at a press conference to make it, what, i guess "official"? are answers to interview questions impervious to scrutiny because they aren't wrapped in a nice prepared statement?
This is funny because it isn't what I said at all.

He was asked a question on how he feels about Natal and Move. The GAF reaction, which is sadly pretty typical, is like he called a press conference to call them jive suckers.

wRATH2x

Banned
MrPliskin said:
...really, Nintendo originated motion control? I think Konami and Namco would like to have a word with you, Nintendo, they've got quite a few things they've done over the last decade in arcades...
And who used it as a standard controller? Who took a huge risk and are now reaping the rewards? Why do you think Sony and Microsoft made Move and Natal anyway?

First of all, I hate the Wii. I hate motion controls and I wish it wouldn't become the standard, but Nintendo does deserve the credit. They didn't invent motion controls, but they sure as hell made it popular.

[Nintex]

Between the Move and this thread I made two pictures that perfectly sum up my feelings on these subjects.
MrPliskin said:
...really, Nintendo originated motion control? I think Konami and Namco would like to have a word with you, Nintendo, they've got quite a few things they've done over the last decade in arcades...

Also, isn't the design of move fairly similar to it's prototype, that was patented and demo'd long before the launch of the Nintendo Wii?

Sensationalist writing ftw!
jgp9go.png

Swittcher said:
I wouldn't be exactly "honored" if everyone copied what I did, after three years of them saying to everyone and anyone they had no interest in copying what they just copied from me.

Copy?
5n12yd.png

So There!

On topic:

I think that Miyamoto is especially 'honored' by this because this might be one of his last ideas that goes mainstream. Usually it takes him and Nintendo about 2 console generations to come up with a new idea and by then he's retired.

jrricky

Banned
tokkun said:

I'm sure your not blind or stupid living under a rock for the past few years...no one is saying(not even Nintendo) that they invented motion controls. We will sure as hell be going into graphical fidelity leap year over year (innovation, yay) with same controls if it wasn't for what Nintendo did. Actually, look at the move, look at the f***ing thing, look at the planned marketing...that's all you need to know that this is a 'followers' process and Nintendo should damn well be honored.

civilstrife said:
Sony's motion controller, held in one hand with an optional sub controller released alongside a suite of casual-oriented software is not at all a response to Nintendo.
if you're saying that it is not an adequate response, that is correct
but to say it is not a response is false

MrPliskin

Banned
Mudkips said:
I think you mean the CD addon for the SNES.
And yeah, Nintendo said fuck off to Sony because the agreement was shit, the cost of the drives was ridiculous, they didn't like load times, etc.

Sony then ran with the SNES designs and began work on their own CD-based, updated clone.

The PS controller was a blatant copy of the the SNES controller.
This is not news. The N64 controller has analog and rumble? Queue the Dual Shock!

It's like people are blocking bits they don't like.

:lol

So you think Nintendo was the first to use all of these technologies? More importantly, do you think Sony released all of it as a response?

Haunted

MrPliskin said:
Given the amount of money 1st and 3rd parties have invested into accessories and add-ons, I think it's extremely likely that we would see something similar either this generation or next. Perhaps not as a primary focus, but most certainly as an accessory or something similar.

It's not like Eyetoy, powerglove, SuperScope, Sega Activator, etc. never existed. Clearly all of these competitors were looking into similar things, new ways to play games, etc, and open it up to casual gamers and the like.

Don't kid yourself.
Well, that's exactly why I clearly said "pushed hugely like this". Denying the effect of Nintendo's success with motion controls is just as silly as saying that Sony and Microsoft only researched these technologies because of the Wii.

I think this is all fairly obvious stuff.

ShockingAlberto said:
This is funny because it isn't what I said at all.

He was asked a question on how he feels about Natal and Move. The GAF reaction, which is sadly pretty typical, is like he called a press conference to call them jive suckers.
again, you imply that because he was asked the question, his answer doesn't warrant a forum reaction on the level of a press conference statement; a level that in my opinion this thread has not reached. (edit: prior to my writing this, the thread didn't have the above ms paint pics, now we're getting there)

so. again. i ask why do you feel that an answer prompted by a question provided by a major corporate figurehead is somehow less worthy of criticism or scrutiny than a prepared statement provided by a major corporate figurehead.

MrPliskin

Banned
Haunted said:
Well, that's why I clearly said "pushed hugely like this". Denying the effect of Nintendo's success with motion controls is just as silly as saying that Sony and Microsoft only researched these technologies because of the Wii.

I think this is all fairly obvious stuff.

I still think the market would have made a clear progression toward a medium that would include casual gamers, and this would be the easiest way to do it. Given the state of game development, I think it's only natural to think that both 1st and 3rd parties would be looking for ways to bring in a more casual market to the table, and this is clearly the way they would have courted them.

I think it's disingenuous to say that this ONLY happened because of Nintendo, or that it would have never seen the light of day if Nintendo hadn't rolled around. Clearly this has been something that has been on the table for over a decade between all of these competitors.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
jay said:
Sony (or posters speaking in their defense) manages to claim every technology by having a tech video of it from a decade ago but they don't seem to have the guts to lay things on the line for their new tech.

It's very clear the Move's parentage - it's a hybrid eyetoy/wii device.

But Natal? It's parentage is pretty directly eyetoy. Miyamoto claiming that Nintendo 'originated that user experience', Natal's, is a stretch of the highest order.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Oh God, did this turn into another 'Company X invented this, Company Y is copying' thread, acting as if this isn't the case with every company, and that every company has 'copied' in one time or another in it's life?

Sigh GAF. D:

Somnid

MrPliskin said:
Actually, you should give a shit about them, because they generated, improved, and perfected a lot of the technology that is available in the Wii. Without those arcade systems, the technology may have not received the attention it needed, and may not have become as affordable for Nintendo.

Also, it doesn't matter what the prototype was, it clearly shows that they were looking into motion control, and that the form factor was to be something straight with a colored ball on top.

I could just as well argue that the design of the Wii-mote is lifted from a number of television remotes, or other motion control devices that I'm sure were available / demoed at CES and other events. Fact is, children get caught up in this "who copied who" business, when the reality is all of these competitors were probably looking into doing the exact same thing at some point in time, Nintendo was simply the one to take the plunge because, face it, they really weren't doing so hot with the Gamecube. Sometimes, you risk big, you win big.

This is silly and delusional. First off, they didn't receive much attention because nobody outside of Japan has ever seen them and they certainly didn't make big splashes within the Japanese arcade market. Kirby's Tilt 'n Tumble and WarioWare Twisted were probably a lot more important in the overall scheme of things because they represent cheap, mass consumer level and high acceptance level implementations. Everything else is on the order of the Power Glove in terms of significance and acceptance. That and MEMS accelerometers have been adopted in many industrial applications and digital cameras which the Nintendo can thank for lowering the prices. Nintendo now drives that market and is the largest purchaser of such technologies.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I had very well thought out post in response to some of the issues raised in this thread, but I'm afraid that Sony might copy it.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
DMeisterJ said:
Oh God, did this turn into another 'Company X invented this, Company Y is copying' thread, acting as if this isn't the case with every company, and that every company has 'copied' in one time or another in it's life?

Sigh GAF. D:

sbqzyv.jpg

In Ur Face Interface

cakefoo

civilstrife said:
A response to something Nintendo made popular? Sure. A response to something Nintendo "created?"

ascii-grip-v2.jpg

ohlm2t.jpg
avsfnm.jpg
1i0chc.jpg

Firewire

Banned
Miyamoto Asks: What should we try and take credit for next?

yeah...calm down its a bad joke!

This "who came up with what" shit is silly.

WillyFive

tzare said:
Miyamoto= poli bueno
Reggie = poli malo

That's pretty much how it was since the beginning.

Reggie would come out to the stage and make the crowd crazy by bashing the competition and then Miyamoto would come out and "thank you for coming!" in the most innocent voice possible.

Swittcher said:
I wouldn't be exactly "honored" if everyone copied what I did, after three years of them saying to everyone and anyone they had no interest in copying what they just copied from me.

Copy?

Obilgatory
817651900_UPD5c-L.jpg

MrPliskin said:
I still think the market would have made a clear progression toward a medium that would include casual gamers, and this would be the easiest way to do it. Given the state of game development, I think it's only natural to think that both 1st and 3rd parties would be looking for ways to bring in a more casual market to the table, and this is clearly the way they would have courted them.

I think it's disingenuous to say that this ONLY happened because of Nintendo, or that it would have never seen the light of day if Nintendo hadn't rolled around. Clearly this has been something that has been on the table for over a decade between all of these competitors.

You're just digging a deeper hole man.

DMeisterJ said:

Sigh GAF. D:
This is a true story. Everyone copies everyone else to some degree.

Except Nintendo, of course.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
tokkun said:

Link?

Because Sony quite happily put a (rate-)gyro in the sixaxis, plus all the accelerometers.

jay

gofreak said:
It's very clear the Move's parentage - it's a hybrid eyetoy/wii device.

But Natal? It's parentage is pretty directly eyetoy. Miyamoto claiming that Nintendo 'originated that user experience', Natal's, is a stretch of the highest order.

Yes, if you see it purely from the technology stand point. If you see it as the way people are interacting with games through movement, it's pretty apparent Microsoft noticed the Wii's success and said, hey, let's get in on that. If MS gave a shit about the Eye Toy's actual appeal they'd have beaten Nintendo to the movement punch years ago.

Top Bottom