• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bear thanks Salmon for a fine meal, picks teeth with Salmon bones

bdouble

I don't get it. No one is saying Nintendo came up with the first ever motion control. The whole idea is that Nintendo is the one that had success with it. It doesn't matter if you do something first. No one remembers that part of history.

Who made the first car? I have no freaking idea but I do know Ford was very successful at making them. So what if Sony had that in 2004. Nintendo might have had the same sort of tech going on behind closed doors but who was the company that had the balls to release it and make it a part of their system from day 1.

Wii was the 1st to market the other two are "me too" products. Simple as that.

GCX

Miyamoto better do something crazy at this year's E3 conference since last year we didn't even see him.

Maybe he'll appear as a 3D holograph! And dressed as Zelda!

Swittcher said:
I love that post showing ad-on EyeToy games for the ad-on EyeToy peripheral for the hugely successful traditionally controlled PS2 which came 3-4 years after the PS2 was released. And no one fucking remembers those games, and no one gives a shit about them anymore.

Good thing that's nothing at all like the PS3 and Move.

Or the E3 demo where some guy takes a button-less stick with a sphere and says "hey the Eyetoy can see this maybe games could sorta work with this in the future???," and people act like that's the final version of the Move and that Sony has just had this thing sitting around for 6 years, away from any outside influence, without any kind of work being done on it. Even though Sony only decided to make it a real commercial product and started in 2008 (4:45).

Yeah obviously all companies were researching motion control, and Sony has toyed with the basic idea of sphere-tracking for a while, but come on. They brought it back two years ago (while the Wii was practically plastic gold), added buttons and accelerometers, made it look more like a remote, and added an accompanying controller with an analog stick.

No, it's not a rip-off, but there's undeniable major influences there.

Gilby

MrPliskin said:
So then you think playing the Konami boxing arcade game with the gloves (replaceable by a wiimote and nunchuck) is a different experience from Wii Boxing? Please do explain, because from a gameplay standpoint, they are identical.

There wasn't much in the way of 'poineering' or 'originating' with the Wii, outside of taking now affordable technology that had only previously been seen in arcades, and putting it in with older hardware to keep the costs down and get it in homes at low prices.

So then you think playing the Konami boxing arcade game with the gloves is a different experience from the Power Glove? Please do explain, because from a semantics standpoint, they are identical. :p

Tarin02543

I want Nintendo's competitors to succeed only to enrage Miyamoto and make his grand finale game which outclasses all games to come for years.

Taurus

tokkun said:
Are people really still ignoring those Sony videos of their motion controller from 2004? I thought that was pretty convincing proof that they were not copying Nintendo's technology.
Yeah, they are actually like a night (black) and day (white).

wiimove.gif

wrowa

When did GAF start hating Miyamoto so much? It doesn't matter what he says, he is immediatly an arrogant dumbass nowadays.

A magazine asks him about Natal and Move. What is Miyamoto doing? He responses with a polite anwser: He is honored that Sony and MS follow what Nintendo made popular. A very Japanese answer - he isn't accusing them of anything, he doesn't offend them, he just answers the question politely. The type of behaviour most people expect from a Japanese.

And what is GAF's reaction to this standart sentence? Uuhhh, Miyamoto is so full of himself! Uuuuh, he has created everything right? Next time he'll say that he has created the Earth! What an idiot! Whine whine whine.

Jesus. That's not funny anymore.

gogojira

Classy, even if others are trying to act as if it isn't. I like the Japanese side of Nintendo so much more than NoA and Reginald.

Vizion28

Banned
GCX said:
Miyamoto better do something crazy at this year's E3 conference since last year we didn't even see him.

Maybe he'll appear as a 3D holograph! And dressed as Zelda!

Miyamoto is going to wield the Master Sword via Wiimote w/motion + and with a vitality sensor attachment.

Hero

I see the bitterness never ends.

Before: "Wii is a fad, waggle is gimmicky."
Now: "SONY WAS WORKING ON THIS FOR YEARS NINTENDO COPIED THEM!"

Never stop amusing me, mindless fanboys.

wrowa said:
When did GAF start hating Miyamoto so much? It doesn't matter what he says, he is immediatly an arrogant dumbass nowadays.

A magazine asks him about Natal and Move. What is Miyamoto doing? He responses with a polite anwser: He is honored that Sony and MS follow what Nintendo made popular. A very Japanese answer - he isn't accusing them of anything, he doesn't offend them, he just answers the question politely. The type of behaviour most people expect from a Japanese.

And what is GAF reaction to this standart sentence? Uuhhh, Miyamoto is so full of himself! Uuuuh, he has created everything right? Next time he'll say that he has created the Earth! What an idiot! Whine whine whine.

Pretty much sums up this thread, yeah.

Somnid

There's really only two things that factor into this

1) Market Awareness
2) Market Acceptance

1 is how many people knew of it and actually used it. 2 is how many of those people had a good opinion of it. It's annoying watching people research obscure controllers to bring up in these arguments because it automatically invalidates the claim. If nobody used it and nobody liked it what's the chances that someone copied it? Plenty of people have similar ideas but if it's just an idea or poor implementation then that really doesn't matter.

So company X actually invented the analog stick and released an MSX compatible controller in 1990. Well nobody knows it existed and I'd venture to guess no game actually used it so don't bring it up unless it's as an interesting factoid. The N64 had it in every system and every game used it, it had high awareness and high acceptance. The N64 also had the rumble pack which was also high on both acceptance and awareness. Both were later leveraged by Sony in the Dual Shock. Saturn might fall under parallel development because it did hit around the same time and was probably developed around the same time. But also consider that Saturn peripherals have low awareness and thus are significantly less important to consider.

ASCII developed a 1-handed controller for the PS1 so gamers could masturbate while playing RPGs (PR didn't word it like that but alluded to it). The nuchuck was born of a complete different need to supplement a second one-handed controller with an analog stick to play things like FPSs (an intent that was completely opposite of the ASCII). It not difficult to believe that nobody knew about the ASCII Grip and Grip II, awareness was low even if acceptance might have been high (I really don't know). They share similarities in that they have analog sticks and a tear-drop shape and it really ends there. The Nunchuck is now an iconic peripheral the other is a relic.

I'll submit my last piece with the PS Move. EyeToy was demoed with a colored stick in the early 2000s. EyeToy eventually released to mild awareness and acceptance and was quickly forgotten. The Stick was never used, even when the PSEye evolved. Sony debuts it nearly 10 years later and long after Wii becomes a huge hit ditching most of the camera processing for accelerometers and gyroscopes and adding a second peripheral piece that has an analog stick. You could say they were staying the course but only a small portion still exists (Sony actually made many boasting comments that they could do everything the Wii does with just the PSEye). The augmented reality pieces stayed but camera-based motion tracking was thrown out, probably because it never worked and the camera was left for error-correction. It's pretty obvious that something between 2006 and 2008 dramatically changed to course of development. I wonder what it was?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
wrowa said:

And what is GAF reaction to this standart sentence? Uuhhh, Miyamoto is so full of himself! Uuuuh, he has created everything right? Next time he'll say that he has created the Earth! What an idiot! Whine whine whine.

Kids these days and their Killzones :/
Miyamoto answered like the gentleman he is. What do you guys expect?

Miyamoto is a true innovator. Gaming wouldnt be what it is without him.

whole thread is haters gonna hate.

miyamoto's responses are completely harmless compared to the motion control comments coming from everyone else.

Haunted

wrowa said:

dude, it's fortified_concept

Yoshi256

Banned
DidntKnowJack said:
Wait a minute. So Nintendo invented analog sticks and rumble now too?

They made it popular.
That's also an achievement. The Natal technology was developed by an Israelien company, the Cell chip was developed by IBM.
All three majors do not really invent things.

Gomu Gomu

wrowa said:

And what is GAF's reaction to this standart sentence? Uuhhh, Miyamoto is so full of himself! Uuuuh, he has created everything right? Next time he'll say that he has created the Earth! What an idiot! Whine whine whine.

Good post.

EmCeeGramr said:
:lol

Rabbitwork said:
again, you imply that because he was asked the question, his answer doesn't warrant a forum reaction on the level of a press conference statement; a level that in my opinion this thread has not reached. (edit: prior to my writing this, the thread didn't have the above ms paint pics, now we're getting there)

so. again. i ask why do you feel that an answer prompted by a question provided by a major corporate figurehead is somehow less worthy of criticism or scrutiny than a prepared statement provided by a major corporate figurehead.
I'm sure you're responding to somebody's post, but it doesn't seem to be mine.

Nintendo is honored other folks are stealing their amazing idea to make minigame compilations instead of real games? Really? They must be flat out embarrassed by Ubisoft.

I'm not disappointed in GAF... I came in here and was pleased to see that everything that needed to be said to the idiots had already been said. Few more added to the ignore list in this thread too.

The 'deal with it' GIF is a keeper as well!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Haunted said:
dude, it's fortified_concept
What does that mean? V__V

radioheadrule83 said:
I'm not disappointed in GAF... I came in here and was pleased to see that everything that needed to be said to the idiots had already been said. Few more added to the ignore list in this thread too.

The 'deal with it' GIF is a keeper as well!
I even remember some gaffers hating on Carmack @___@

DidntKnowJack said:
Wait a minute. So Nintendo invented analog sticks and rumble now too?

No, but did they not pioneer and subsequently validate them on mainstream consoles effectively?

I mean, gosh damn people hate.

Sony Playstation releases worldwide with d-pad, x,o square and triangle, with shoulder buttons........basically the snes/virtua boy pad with prongs.

Nintendo 64 releases with analog stick and rumble, sony later releases updated controller now world famous dualshock.

I mean, if you can't see one as the reactionary in this particular situation, i don't know what to tell you.

Meier

You'd have to be the biggest and most cynical asshole on the planet to have something negative to say about Miyamoto.

rpmurphy

Miyamoto is hardly a tech guru. I couldn't see him being wide-eyed over tech demos like most people here. Looking at stuff like Move's Sports Champions or Natal's racing and human pong, they seem extemely similar to the experiences that Nintendo made with their Wii games. Without Wii Sports and its massive success, I highly doubt that both Sony and MS would have moved into this area of gaming experiences right now.

Meier said:
You'd have to be the biggest and most cynical asshole on the planet to have something negative to say about Miyamoto.
I think I remember him saying something in the lines that Donkey Kong Country was shit back then, and how for non-Japanese graphics was everything and something like that, but then again, I'm probably remembering things wrong and out of context.

Even then, He's easily the nicest guy in the industry.

Regarding the origins and evolution of any technology - it doesn't count unless it actually influences the industry. And that's why Miyamoto wins.

Vinci

Danish
MrPliskin said:
I still think the market would have made a clear progression toward a medium that would include casual gamers, and this would be the easiest way to do it. Given the state of game development, I think it's only natural to think that both 1st and 3rd parties would be looking for ways to bring in a more casual market to the table, and this is clearly the way they would have courted them.

You've completely gone off the deep end, man. Nothing - NOTHING - about this industry was shifting towards motion controls prior to the Wii. They had been used through half-assed attempts in the console market until the Wii, and even now that it's reached a critical mass of acceptance they are STILL doing everything in their power to avoid them. All these 1st and 3rd parties you're lauding were digging themselves gravestones development houses high.

jay

cakefoo said:
This has nothing to do with my response to the implication that the Eyetoy was a ripoff of the Gameboy camera.

No, it has to do with your position that Sony came up with motion based gaming, as seen in post 89.

Let's all just agree that god created motion control.

Unless it evolved.

SelfCon

These quote threads really seem to bring out the console warriors from all sides. GAF around E3-time is going to be a nightmare.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Edit: didn't want to get stuck at the bottom of the page :D

Edit 2: holy crap, some beat me to the punch already?!?!?

Swittcher

Banned
bdouble said:
I don't get it. No one is saying Nintendo came up with the first ever motion control. The whole idea is that Nintendo is the one that had success with it. It doesn't matter if you do something first. No one remembers that part of history.

Who made the first car? I have no freaking idea but I do know Ford was very successful at making them. So what if Sony had that in 2004. Nintendo might have had the same sort of tech going on behind closed doors but who was the company that had the balls to release it and make it a part of their system from day 1.

Wii was the 1st to market the other two are "me too" products. Simple as that.

In a nutshell?

Yes.

Top Bottom