• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 Patch 1.20 - Changelog

S1kkZ

Weird
Have tou tried reloading a save? Rebooting?

yep, all of it. i can still kill deer/rabbits but thats it.

ok, solved it: i had to do a mission that requires no fighting. after solving the mission i got some xp (which set my xp bar back to normal) and enemies had lifebars again.

MilkBeard

Wow, that is a metric shit-ton of updates. The enemy scaling option sounds interesting. Could make for more interesting playthroughs if you happen to overlevel.

yep, all of it. i can still kill deer/rabbits but thats it.

ok, solved it: i had to do a mission that requires no fighting. after solving the mission i got some xp (which set my xp bar back to normal) and enemies had lifebars again.

Eek
Sorry, man. That sucks. Hopefully CDPR can push out fix.

Edit: Glad you sorted it out.

PreFire

No problems post patch. Just weird that the font for items and stuff are huge all of a sudden

Is there a graphical upgrade? I swear, the game looks better for me on ps4.. Fogs, smoke, the woods at night time are much scarier lol

S1kkZ

Is there a graphical upgrade? I swear, the game looks better for me on ps4.. Fogs, smoke, the woods at night time are much scarier lol

i noticed that too. i was running around in skellig and noticed some awesome new (?) effects in the background. there was this "magical" shine on the horizon that i never noticed before.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
They fixed the bug with a level 10 treasure hunt quest! I'm so happy.....It was "Not Only Eaghles Dare" and it auto completed when I fast traveled nearby this time. Feels good to see it finally cleared out of the quest log.

Coreda

Yup, that's it. The HUD also doesn't scale correctly to 16:10. You have to edit uiVerticalFrameScale=1 to uiVerticalFrameScale=1.125. Certain UI elements like posters, signboards and notice boards are also a bit broken.

Just tested it and that setting only affects the HUD positioning. The problem I encountered were the dark overlays seen in the Quick Access Menu background and signs (like you linked).

And a new bug: loading screens play the Quick Access Menu 'clink' select sound just before the game loads in. If you listen at around the 80% loaded mark you'll hear it.

As for my initial impression of any graphic improvements the game seems 'smoother' when the viewpoint moves even at less than 60fps. But is it just me or have the vanilla graphics been slightly adjusted to look more like the B&W colors? The sky immediately looked different in Novigrad after the sun came out, and the environment more yellow. Anyone else notice this or am I imagining things? Maybe it's my flux install overriding the game window for once. Edit: yup, it was just flux after all. Nevermind.

PreFire

This is a game that DEFINITELY needs a photo-mode (ps4). It's too beautiful

Imagine pausing mid-cast, and the magical effects shining on your face, your enemy's face and the ground.. Particles mid-flight, facial expressions, foliage, etc.

Is it impossible to add something like this from a technical standpoint?

And to be honest, I don't care about the filters and other camera effects most photo modes have.. Just a camera I can zoom and move around lol

I get weird performance results now. I can hit everything on Ultra and still get the same framerate as with High or even Medium. (only marginally lower)
I also switched from fullscreen to borderless, could that be it?

I used to run it at around 45 to 50 fps before the patch, now it's to 26 to 37 regardless of setting I use.

xVodevil

No problems post patch. Just weird that the font for items and stuff are huge all of a sudden

There is an option for that, in the HUD section, small/large fonts. But looks good, so I like it large :)

CHC

So are the weird bright blue lines on the Kaer Morehn armor seems happening to everyone?

bM11vuS.jpg

PreFire

I get weird performance results now. I can hit everything on Ultra and still get the same framerate as with High or even Medium. (only marginally lower)
I also switched from fullscreen to borderless, could that be it?

I used to run it at around 45 to 50 fps before the patch, now it's to 26 to 37 regardless of setting I use.

I'm not on PC, but usually when there are big updates for games like this, Nvidia and ATi release an update for their graphics cards because older configurations might cause performance issues.

Hope you get back to 50fps though.. Try full screen again see if it helps

I'm not on PC, but usually when there are big updates for games like this, Nvidia and ATi release an update for their graphics cards because older configurations might cause performance issues.

Hope you get back to 50fps though.. Try full screen again see if it helps

You know what's weird?
After a fresh start performance improved massively. Went from averaging 25 to 44 even hitting 60 in parts. I tried some of the busier locations like Novigrad, and rarely did the game fall under 40 now. I even have Hairworks on, and aside from a dip when fighting 5 wolves it doesn't impact performance.... what is going on

And I didn't change anything lol.
But now the text in the menu is actually readable from the couch. Biggest improvement so far.

PreFire

Anyone experience audio problems since the update? When scrolling through the pause menu, some of the "click" sounds don't make a sound at all. Same thing when slicing through enemies, and casting signs that don't make any sound. All other sound seems to be working. Ps4

Edit: restarted the game and now it's working the way it's supposed to. At least I know it's not a permanent thing

I am really digging the increase in text size (ps4) and menus. I actually didn't want to play the game because I found it hard on my eyes when trying to read text on my 50 inch. Now I can read the bestiary, character bios, quest logs, etc, without having to squint hard or zoom with the home button on DS4.

I think I'm glad I've been waiting on this game for so long. They really went all out on the updates. Playing it fresh with all these refinements is exciting.

Raguel

Well, anyone else experiencing random crashes on the game after the update? I'm doing the oxenfurt drunk quest and it has crashed on me twice back to back. Never crashed before

Griss

Love the new UI and inventory but wish they'd fixed the lag.

Almost everything in the patch was great. Only other issue I'd have is that you can no longer choose which symbols show up on the map, but have to select a preset group of symbols. As far as nitpicks go, it's just about the pickiest, but I noticed it.

But overall the patch is so good that it has made replaying the whole game a no-brainer. Glad I waited.

Coreda

Other observations since spending a bit more time with the patch.

• Yay, they cleaned the dirt off the Viper trousers texture. The only gripe I had about the Viper trousers was that it shared the same dirty texture as the starting trousers. Now it's had a proper wash and is looking smick.
  • New global water. It's certainly an improvement in movement physics, with swimming having more verticality due to the better waves (perhaps a bit overboard in areas as seen below :p). I've found though while sailing at night the water looks very reflection-less, at least in stormy weather. Shallow water is more dark, and in general it seems they've tweaked the reflection properties.

• Being able to buy crafting components directly from the Crafting tab while in dialog with a Blacksmith/Armorer is a major improvement and time saver.
  • Preview mode of armor/items is nice and they finally added character rotation in the Inventory screen. Pity it doesn't auto-rotate behind Geralt to preview the crossbow and swords, ala MGSV's sortie prep.
  • Not a fan of the new crafting progress bar or visual style. Too simplistic and lacks a Witcherin' flavor. Now it's just a simple highlighted square with a bottom-to-top progress fill. The round progress meter and Celtic-like border was more attractive.
  • Still can't permanently collapse crafting heading sections. They re-expand when opening the tab again.
  • Inventory sorting delay is noticeably longer.
  • Wish there was an option to change the quick access menu from pausing time to only slowing it down, as before.

Bugs

• No scrollbar in Dismantle menu when in dialog with a blacksmith/armorer/runesmith. Forced to scroll using arrow keys.
  • Alt+Enter no longer fullscreens a windowed game (which is usually triggered when set to exclusive fullscreen and alt+tabbing out then coming back to see it windowed). The game sometimes launches in a borderless window when not set to, as well.
  • [Old bug] The Alchemy tab still displays the tutorial about 'pinning formulae and diagrams' each and every time the tab is opened.

Justinian

What's everyone's consensus on the enemy level upscaling? Trivial difficulty and outlevelling stuff was the primary reason my incentive to play was wearing off. Can someone with a higher level character confirm if it's made the reverse difficulty curve a bit more bearable?

I just jumped in and did a level 11 quest and that offered some challenge at level 21 which was great.

My playtime stats have been messed up ever since the 1.20 patch, previously it was showing 17 days of playtime, now it shows 6hours and 45 minutes which is totally incorrect. Is there a way to redownload the game(since it's digital download title that Iown) and prevent it from updating to the latest patch?

Coreda

Cross-posting because I feel it deserves discussion.

Can I just say how disappointed I am in the water at night after patch 1.20? It's a real downgrade that I'm surprised more are talking about. Posted a bit about it in the dedicated patch thread but after see Skellige water at night it drove it home.

Just look at the stark difference. I don't know what they were thinking. The daytime water looks mostly okay but the night reveals the changes. All shots taken at Ultra settings at the same time of day and condition (Left to right: 1AM/Rain, 1AM/Rain, 6PM/Clear IIRC).

The menu visible is due to sandboxing the 1.12 patch (since I didn't want it making any changes to the 1.21 install), which meant Afterburner couldn't detect the window so I used ShareX.

Woah, difference is very clear on the first comparison. On the third one, I think it's just a different weather/wind effecting the waves.

Anyway, are you sure both version is at the same weather condition?

Coreda

Woah, difference is very clear on the first comparison. On the third one, I think it's just a different weather/wind effecting the waves.

Anyway, are you sure both version is at the same weather condition?

The third comparison was just to show that during the day the new water appearance is fine. It's the new water physics that are affecting the shape of the waves (water has more movement and isn't so flat like it used to be).

The first two show the extremely dull and reflectionless water during the night. I've seen this both in Novigrad and Skellige.

While I couldn't match weather 1:1 it's the closest matching conditions I could get but in-game the change is obvious regardless of the weather at night.

The third comparison was just to show that during the day the new water appearance is fine. It's the new water physics that are affecting the shape of the waves (water has more movement and isn't so flat like it used to be).

The first two show the extremely dull and reflectionless water during the night. I've seen this both in Novigrad and Skellige.

While I couldn't match weather 1:1 it's the closest matching conditions I could get but in-game the change is obvious regardless of the weather at night.

I see. I was in Skellige on my last playing session last night. Most of my activities were at noon though, so I didn't notice it. Maybe I'll check it out myself later today. It's gonna be a huge bummer if true.

What's everyone's consensus on the enemy level upscaling? Trivial difficulty and outlevelling stuff was the primary reason my incentive to play was wearing off. Can someone with a higher level character confirm if it's made the reverse difficulty curve a bit more bearable?

I just jumped in and did a level 11 quest and that offered some challenge at level 21 which was great.

I too am wondering this. I'm trying to decide whether to use the upscaling. I would like to make the lower level side quests more challenging for my level 30 character, but also enjoy having some quests where I can kick ass. How does it work? Does it make the enemies in the lower level quests equal to your current level?

I too am wondering this. I'm trying to decide whether to use the upscaling. I would like to make the lower level side quests more challenging for my level 30 character, but also enjoy having some quests where I can kick ass. How does it work? Does it make the enemies in the lower level quests equal to your current level?

I use it. On NG+, I still keep encountering level 30-40 enemies.

With the upscaling turned on, everything is now 2 level above mine. Low level quests is now kinda give more challenge.

ngower

Has the patch given the option to increase text size at all or made the UI more readable? I know it's made changes to the inventory systems, but I had a really hard time playing the game because I couldn't read any of the text (subtitles, quest info, etc).

Jebral

Has the patch given the option to increase text size at all or made the UI more readable? I know it's made changes to the inventory systems, but I had a really hard time playing the game because I couldn't read any of the text (subtitles, quest info, etc).

Yes! You hold the left stick for a second and it blows up the text boxes to more reasonable levels.

OtisInf

Is there a way to keep the new items (with the yellow '*') at the front of the item lists like before 1.21? they're now sorted within the rest of the items, and it is a pain to get rid of the '*' in the tab header in inventory now. Before you just rushed over the items, done. (yes I cleared that every time to quickly see what's new when I picked up a lot of stuff from e.g. a chest).

Also can't say I'm a fan of the new quick selection menu. It worked perfectly well before and now it's more of a hassle to select the other bomb for example. Also the delay in which they show descriptions of items is a bit long, would be great if that showed immediately (so I don't need the mod anymore which mentions the name of the concoction with the flask in the items list). Oh well...

Rest is great, so far.

Lock-on doesn't work for me on the latest patch. Also, I get framerate dips to 50fps when viewing my crafting materials. Would explain the lag that people are mentioning.

epmode

Is there a way to keep the new items (with the yellow '*') at the front of the item lists like before 1.21? they're now sorted within the rest of the items, and it is a pain to get rid of the '*' in the tab header in inventory now. Before you just rushed over the items, done. (yes I cleared that every time to quickly see what's new when I picked up a lot of stuff from e.g. a chest).

I don't think there's a way to do this. I noticed the same problem shortly after playing the new patch and I can't believe that CDPR didn't address the issue before release.

kpaadet

I've been following that Gwent book but the trophy won't pop, the book says "congratulations you've completed the collection..."or something like that. Always feels like 2 steps forward and 1 step back with these Witcher patches.

LifeLike

I've been following that Gwent book but the trophy won't pop, the book says "congratulations you've completed the collection..."or something like that. Always feels like 2 steps forward and 1 step back with these Witcher patches.

Same thing for me pal. :(

There's something wrong with that first image. I've played around in Skellige and a bit, and I've never seen it do that. It looks like the water textures didn't stream in properly.

I'm undecided on the second image. The patch set texture and water quality to low for most people, did you check those?

Third image looks better in 1.21 than 1.12. I've also noticed some boats bobbing in the water with 1.21, which I don't remember happening in 1.12.

From what I've read, they've removed a lot of the artificial light sources for the water, and it's now using the global system. Granted, that's not an official comment, just something I read on the forums that seemed plausible.

By the way, they've fixed the sign and noticeboard problems for 16:10 by adding a black bar, where the overlay used to end. Ayyy, that's not really a fix, but I guess that's the best I'll get. The new mutagen / synapse screen looks weird in 16:10 though.

GavinUK86

My Viper armor seems to take on a slight blueish hue in general in certain lighting.

Thought it was just the updated model or something.

That's the new colour pallette they've implemented due to being able to dye your armor. Like the Feline armor is bright blue now instead of being very muted. There's actually a patch on nexus mods that change it all back to the pre-patch colours.

All the talk of the expansion inspired me to pick the game back up, and I have to say all of these changes from the patch was a pleasant surprise. Definitely going to try to make some progress this time.

Also can't say I'm a fan of the new quick selection menu. It worked perfectly well before and now it's more of a hassle to select the other bomb for example. Also the delay in which they show descriptions of items is a bit long, would be great if that showed immediately (so I don't need the mod anymore which mentions the name of the concoction with the flask in the items list). Oh well...

Rest is great, so far.

I don't think there's a way to do this. I noticed the same problem shortly after playing the new patch and I can't believe that CDPR didn't address the issue before release.
I third this. It's driving me crazy lol.

I keep getting glitch after the patch that makes me overburdened... I found 2 ways to bypass it so far....

1 is to play Gwent with someone which isnt realistic in every scenario

2 unequip then re-equip your saddle bags.

Hope this gets fixed soon

Top Bottom