• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom is working on a patch which will address some of the issues reported by players with Dragon's Dogma 2

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Very happy to see RT and 30fps caps as options and not forced updates. Game will be very future proof for PS5 Pro & PS6.

PS6 maybe PS5 Pro, not really if the rumors of it keeping the same processor and giving it a slightly higher clock speed are true.

The issue is the game us CPU limited so an estimated 10% performance uplift on the processor won't really help with that.

This is the game that has convinced me to upgrade my CPU along with my GPU on PC when the 5000 series hits.

Last edited:

nikos

I'll change back as soon as I get home, can't remember ( I think it is but not 100% sure)

I believe it's the only one available but I could be wrong.

It may be worth checking the Shader Cache Size in the 3D settings of NVIDIA Control Panel.

Matt_Fox

1) you are spreading misinformation regarding DLC
2) you can start a new game by deleting your save file
3) if you don’t own the game nor plan to own the game, why are you writing this

I read about the save game DLC on this forum just three or four days ago, I didn't know it had been debunked (good to hear it, I'll edit my post).

I don't own the game yet but I certainly am planning to get a copy soon when I've got time to put the hours in, really looking forward to it!

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Lol .What is the point in turning RT off if doesn't affect performance significantly? Lose time/money implementing the option?

clarky

Gold Member
DLSS image quality improvement is what I’d really like to see. Performance is really good with the frame gen fix.
Im sorry, performance is fucking shocking across the board. Adding an external solution that brings its own problems just now, doesn't make performance "really good" Especially when 95% of the player base doesn't have access to the mod.

I'm on a 4090 btw and refunded, will buy back in a few months when its fixed and half the price.

Last edited:

nikos

Im sorry, performance is fucking shocking across the board. Adding an external solution that brings its own problems just now, doesn't make performance "really good" Especially when 95% of the player base doesn't have access to the mod.

I'm on a 4090 btw and refunded, will buy back in a few months when its fixed and half the price.

All the fix does is enable Frame Generation, which is already implemented in the game but disabled for whatever reason.

I'm on a 7800X3D and 4090. At 3840x1600 I'm almost always at my frame cap of 138 FPS at max settings with FG enabled. There are some hiccups in major cities but that's it.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
PS6 maybe PS5 Pro, not really if the rumors of it keeping the same processor and giving it a slightly higher clock speed are true.

The issue is the game us CPU limited so an estimated 10% performance uplift on the processor won't really help with that.

This is the game that has convinced me to upgrade my CPU along with my GPU on PC when the 5000 series hits.

In its current form it seems to me that upgrading CPU isn't going to help much. Watch the GN video on it. The game demands enough to take 4 cores of any CPU to 100% on entering a city, and honestly its anyone's guess if they can re-engineer it to a degree where it won't load up enough to buckle anything on the market at peak load.

My suspicion is that there's a high degree of synchrony required between AI instantiation/running on the CPU and how it connects with everything running on the GPU threads (animation/rendering). Essentially the game's been engineered around the performance of the console APU's balance between CPU and GPU throughput, and pushing above that on either end results in bottle-necking and in some cases severe stalling.

Like I've been saying from the start: The reason few games try and do what Dogma does is that its literally the worst-case scenario for load balancing. It fluctuates massively between thrashing the GPU when there's a heavy load in the open world, and doing the same to the CPU when the player is in an area with a large number of NPC entities to coordinate. GN's tests show the game dynamically adjusting load intelligently based on circumstance, its just that the variance scales directly with power - the deltas seemingly increasing the harder the CPU gets pushed.

clarky

Gold Member
All the fix does is enable Frame Generation, which is already implemented in the game but disabled for whatever reason.

I'm on a 7800X3D and 4090. At 3840x1600 I'm almost always at my frame cap of 138 FPS at max settings with FG enabled. There are some hiccups in major cities but that's it.

That not my experience on a similar rig. If you call drops to 60-70 in cities with micro stutter some hiccups then i suppose you are right.

Either way the games perforance isn't in anyway aceptable because a few of us are able to brute force it. The game lools ok but should be running at 120fps native locked on a rig like yours it really isnt doing anything special.

We shouldn't give devs a pass for releasing games in such clearly unfinished states, its bollocks.

Look at Horizon, the game looks far superior to this and runs x10 better out of the box. Shame that game isnt that great.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

Belthazar

The 30fps cap take should've been available at launch on console... I really don't understand why Capcom seems to be obsessed with unlocked framerates.

Feels like someone who doesn't understand jack about how refresh rates on tvs work just saw it and decided 32 fps is better than 30 because the number is bigger.

scydrex

So instead of delaying and releasing the game with this update or options they prefer to release it before at full price... i decided a long time ago not to buy day 1. I wait 6 month to 1 year to buy a game.

Adding the option to start a new game when save data already exists
Ok, it should have been there from the start
Changing the number of Art of Metamorphosis items available at Pawn Guilds in the game to 99
I didn't follow the whole DLC debate, they look pretty much like any pay to progress boons we have in every single sports game with GM mode.
Making the quest that allows players to acquire their own dwelling (where they can save and rest) available earlier in the game
I think it's early enough as it is to be quite honest, but whatever.
Typos and small bug fixes, cool

Now, there are a couple of things I don't fully understand, I need somebody more tech savvy then me please.
Adding the option to switch motion blur on/off in options
Good, I'm not a fan of motion blur, at all. Adding a slider would've been even better.
Adding the option to switch ray tracing on/off in options
Ok, but what would benefit from this? I get no RT means less stress on the GPU, but the main problem here are the CPU-bound processes right? So, blander looking but more consistent framerate when away from cities (because in the wild there are way less NPCs)?
Adding the option to switch frame-rate to either variable or max 30fps in options
I don't get the wording: they're both variable, or they would've said "locked 30fps"...so, it will still fluctuate, but they are capping it at 30fps, right? If so, option 1 it's just like now, very unstable and uncapped, and option 2 very unstable but capped at 30fps. I don't really get the reason behind this.
(These options will not affect the frame-rate significantly. Frame rate improvements are planned for future updates.)
Of course they are.
BTW, I'm having a blast.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Lol .What is the point in turning RT off if doesn't affect performance significantly? Lose time/money implementing the option?
Who knows. But Capcom's bullet point is subjective. So it can mean anything. Not significantly affect frames sounds to me like turning it off will boost frames maybe 2 or 3 frames tops. But who knows. Maybe it boosts frame 1 fps or 10 fps.

mkacc

Neo Member
I'm playing this on PS5 and I must say I don't find the frame rate issues all that bad. I'm loving the game. Yes, a locked frame rate could be better, but I'm having a lot of fun either way

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Amazing how this game got higher scores than Rise of the Ronin.
I bought dragon dog with two over rise of the Ronin, because I thought rise of the Ronan needed some patches before it became a viable game funny how that turned out

Hoppa

framebeta GIF

Fbh

Good.
The 30fps lock is nice, will probably help the game just feel bad instead of terrible.
Also I wonder what the FPS gains will be by disabling ray tracing. In theory it shouldn't be much, right? since the problem seems to be a CPU bottleneck

Could you be bigger drama queens? Performance dips but not to the point of unplayability so them improving it is nothing but a good thing, not them suckering day one buyers.
And to whoever said New Save files were going to be DLC, you’re a moron, that was never the case. They’ve simply heard all the whiners and are adding a option for multiple saves.
So much pointless whining. Game is excellent, has MINOR ISSUES that are getting fixed. Quit the hyperbole.

So don't buy it before it's fixed? Got it.

Dorfdad

Gold Member

interested in what CPU you currently have as I have a AMD 79503dx and 64gb ram and a 4090 and the game still stutters. Don't think the game is very well optimized for anything. Im done throwing money at PC gaming. Paying 3K+ for a gaming system and to still have issues left and right is crazy.

PC gaming offers incredible versitality, but also has negative aspects as well. Im at a point in life now where I don't want to spend hours tweaking, obsessing over settings, and speeds. I just want a 1440p or above image quality with 120fps. I have used 240/360 Hz and others and to ME and just to ME 120fps seems to be the sweet spot for not giving a damn.

Im hoping next gen and Pro consoled allow 4K/120 for almost every title. This Is where I will get off the train and enjoy what time I got left gaming actually playing games instead of constantly chasing shit on PC.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
interested in what CPU you currently have as I have a AMD 79503dx and 64gb ram and a 4090 and the game still stutters. Don't think the game is very well optimized for anything. Im done throwing money at PC gaming. Paying 3K+ for a gaming system and to still have issues left and right is crazy.

PC gaming offers incredible versitality, but also has negative aspects as well. Im at a point in life now where I don't want to spend hours tweaking, obsessing over settings, and speeds. I just want a 1440p or above image quality with 120fps. I have used 240/360 Hz and others and to ME and just to ME 120fps seems to be the sweet spot for not giving a damn.

Im hoping next gen and Pro consoled allow 4K/120 for almost every title. This Is where I will get off the train and enjoy what time I got left gaming actually playing games instead of constantly chasing shit on PC.
5900x and a launch RTX 3080 10GB with 32GB of DDR4 ram @ 4000Mhz.

like it WAS pretty kicking when I got it a few years back, but now it cant even run this game steady, its just depressing really.

proandrad

Performance is crap but there is no way it’s the ray tracing, right? This is like Jedi Survivor all over again. Happy I dodged this technical shit show on consoles. I’ll get the game in 6 months for half off when you guys are finished beta testing.

DeVeAn

Man, I had a feeling about this one. I still want to play it. I'll grab it down the road. FF7 Rebirth got me in a bad mood with the "nothing" patch with Smooth and Sharp option. Blew off new stuff to play Chrono Trigger on Steam deck with 8bitdo controller. So damn good that game.

MacReady13

Releasing games in an unfinished state seems to be the norm in today's gaming landscape... And some wonder why us older folks miss the older days of gaming when games were released fully complete.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
5900x and a launch RTX 3080 10GB with 32GB of DDR4 ram @ 4000Mhz.

like it WAS pretty kicking when I got it a few years back, but now it cant even run this game steady, its just depressing really.
yeah seems PC gaming is an expensive hobby! One of the reasons I like a FIXED platform yeah I give up tweaking and max settings, but I actually jut play the games now instead of spending my time stress testing my components lol

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
i bought the game on ps5, guess ill focus on other games and wait for a few more months on the performance patch

Btw, turning off RT will not affect the frame rate significantly? then why turn off?
Because who wouldn’t want worse lighting with no payoff?

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I bought dragon dog with two over rise of the Ronin, because I thought rise of the Ronan needed some patches before it became a viable game funny how that turned out
It’s 2024. Games don’t launch in great condition anymore. It is what it is. And did you hit the sauce early today?

Last edited:

decisions

For anyone who does have high-end AMD computer (I’m on 7800X3D/7900XTX), I just want to say for this game literally all I did was

- download the most recent driver, let AMD configure my DD2 settings via that HYPR preset
- Set in-game cap to 120FPS
- Set everything to max except shadows: high, DLSS off, dynamic res off

And I feel like the technical issues impact me in no real way. I get some slight stuttering in towns. I love the game. Avg FPS is 97.6 according to AMD.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
For anyone who does have high-end AMD computer, I just want to say for this game literally all I did was

- download the most recent driver, let AMD configure my DD2 settings via that HYPR preset
- Set in-game cap to 120FPS
- Set everything to max except shadows: high, DLSS off, dynamic res off

And I feel like the technical issues impact me in no real way. I get some slight stuttering in towns. I love the game. Avg FPS is 97.6 according to AMD.
When I lower my shadows trees tend to flash really bad. Have to keep them at max or I would have a seizure. Is there anyway else to reduce them on a 4090?

Mikado

Gold Member
Glad to see some quick updates on this. Resolves a lot of the concerns I had. I'm way too busy to have time to put into it now, but will definitely pick it up in the future.

Tomi

Capcom shot themselfs in foot with this release

People wont trust them much with future releases...
I still dont understand those developers, you want to sell as much copies as you can, and you need to release game in perfect state right?
BUT NO!
you actually want me/us to wait for few months to fix the game, and when we see that game is in playable state we buy it ( and price is no longer full )
What the actual fu*k???

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I still dont understand those developers, you want to sell as much copies as you can, and you need to release game in perfect state right?
Not when it comes to video games and digital download patches. The strategy is to release the game in "hopefully" a good enough state which gamers love and any patches to fix stuff are bonus tweaks.

Other industries arent like this since it's a physical product. You release a shit product (or worse one that is so broken it involves a safety recall), the store has to handle refunds and potentially shipping the product back, and the supplier has to credit the store for the refunds and most likely destroy the product because the chances of refurbing it as a resale is low unless it's something worth refurbing and reselling a second time to a liquidator store for 50% off.

So software companies are blessed they can pull the 'ol "Hey gamers, give us a break a patch is coming". If a game is released a little sketchy and gamers dont make it a big deal the game company wont even bother doing a patch.

Just imagine what a car company would be like if they had a software company mentality. Just release the car asap despite it being shit. And when a customer complains something is broken, they cant take it back to the dealer for a free warranty fix right away. They got to wait for the car company to decide themselves what they think is worth fixing or not and it might come 6 months later, or never.

Last edited:
I'm playing this on PS5 and I must say I don't find the frame rate issues all that bad. I'm loving the game. Yes, a locked frame rate could be better, but I'm having a lot of fun either way
Game plays smoothly on my PS5. I'm wondering what's going on with all these pc complainers.

Kumomeme

as long they dedicate a proper support then the game gonna be fine in long run. look at Cyberpunk for example.

First planned update is now live.

[PlayStation®5 / Steam]
  • Adding the option to start a new game when save data already exists.
  • Changing the number of "Art of Metamorphosis" items available at Pawn Guilds in the game to 99.
  • Making the quest that allows players to acquire their own dwelling (where they can save and rest) available earlier in the game.
  • Miscellaneous text display issues.
  • Miscellaneous bug fixes.
[PlayStation®5]
  • Adding the option* to switch Motion Blur on/off in Options.
  • Adding the option* to switch Ray Tracing on/off in Options.
  • Adding the option to set Frame Rate at Max 30fps in Options.
[Steam]
  • Improving quality when DLSS SUPER RESOLUTION is enabled.
  • Fixing an issue related to the display of models under some specific settings.
*These options won't affect frame rate significantly. Improvements to frame rate are planned for future updates.
Updates to Xbox Series X|S are planned in the next few days.

Top Bottom