• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Is 'Aware' of Dragon's Dogma 2 Frame Rate Issues on PC, Looking Into Fixes

Sentenza

Not really. My hope was I could maybe get 60fps on PC, but I knew it was a fool's hope. I was expecting a bad PC port as most signs were there.
I'm going out of my way to bet that with a couple of twekas there will be no proble to achieve at least-

Fextralife said that the game ran at about 80 fps most of the time at 1440p on 12900k and 3090. Only dropping to the 40s in some towns.

Im ok with that as long as the game runs at 60 fps during combat. Dont care about towns running at 30.
...Well, there it is. Pretty much what I was expecting.

Bojji

Dragon's Dogma 2 currently has high demands on hardware, with the Steam Deck struggling to run at playable rates and even high-end machines of an RTX4090 paired with an AMD 5800X3D CPU can drop into the 30s whilst in the denser populated towns.

pub-1710876360453.png

fps-4-1710876390236.png

50% GPU usage, LOLOLOL. What the fuck this game is calculating on CPU?

He's not wrong. I'm not sure why so many console players think they should be able to play all games at 60fps. Hardware limitations will become apparent and frame rates will be scaled back as a result.

It's not as simple as turning on a switch or reducing graphics to get to 60fps. Sometimes it just isn't possible at all on the hardware. Zen 2 (3XXX) is old and whilst leagues ahead of the ancient Jaguar CPU, we've had 3 or 4 generations of CPU since then that are wildly superior.

That being said, consoles provide incredible value for £450. Don't go expecting it to perform like a £3000 PC.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Fextralife said that the game ran at about 80 fps most of the time at 1440p on 12900k and 3090. Only dropping to the 40s in some towns.

Im ok with that as long as the game runs at 60 fps during combat. Dont care about towns running at 30.
Plus all these benchmarks are done with max settings. Pretty sure I’ll run this at 60fps without much problems. I’ll start with Forbidden West though so I’ll be there after some patches.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Plus all these benchmarks are done with max settings. Pretty sure I’ll run this at 60fps without much problems. I’ll start with Forbidden West though so I’ll be there after some patches.
This. I'm sure you can just knock some settings down and still look better than the console version at 60 fps.

Pc is the best because you can choose your settings.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Dragon's Dogma 2 currently has high demands on hardware, with the Steam Deck struggling to run at playable rates and even high-end machines of an RTX4090 paired with an AMD 5800X3D CPU can drop into the 30s whilst in the denser populated towns.

pub-1710876360453.png

fps-4-1710876390236.png

You mean RTX 3080?

That aint a 4090 bro.... unless I'm missing something.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I upgraded to a 7800x3D last week, I swear to god if this over-expensive piece of shit cant run this at 60 I am going back to PS5.
You will be fine.

Eurogamer review:

Sadly, I do have one small criticism, although thankfully it is a lot less detrimental than it might initially appear to be. I did run into some performance issues on PC, specifically in regards to some occasional frame droppage. Now, I should note that I never ran into any drops in frames in the open world and managed to run at a pretty consistent 120FPS, so oddly this was never an issue during combat. I only ever experience drops in frames during my time in the two biggest cities in the game, and these drops did seem specific to certain locations within those cities, such as in Vernworth's town square. However, I was running the game with all of the graphical settings at their highest, so I was able to completely offset these drops in frames with some slight tweaks that barely impacted how pretty the game looked - changes I could revert once I left said cities.

w6bV7jb.jpg

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
7800x3d is now minimum spec. Capcom gonna pull a Todd Howard and demand everyone upgrade their PCs lol

Fix code?
No Way Smh GIF by MOODMAN
Lol looks like I dodged the bullet with my old 3700x.
I will happily play at 22-27fps on ps5 lol.

TBH, I like that it has high requirements. Finally something is using the damn cpus. We have these amazing cpus but nothing is using them for years outside of cyberpunk.
good

f93e36dd0dfc80bff17d6e9f328597c6.png

88e9463ceba9c6fba9516a806793bb97.png

Doesn't look that bad to be honest considering it's 1440p at max settings which are always "absurd" settings to put, on big cities a 5600x struggles to get 40 FPS on average, but on the open world you can easily get over 60 FPS, which is where the fluidity matters.

Similar case to Starfield it seems, which i ran at around 90 FPS on average, and then on the main city frames could drop up to 40 FPS.

Fredrik

This. I'm sure you can just knock some settings down and still look better than the console version at 60 fps.

Pc is the best because you can choose your settings.
Yeah people just react on the numbers without thinking about the possibilities.
I’ve never been stuck playing a game on PC at sub-60fps.

tmlDan

everyone on this forum says PC is always so much better tho, despite my personal experience over 20 years of gaming on PC.

Some people are saying they can't hold 60 fps on a 4090, because its CPU intensive. Unacceptable.

• Empathy
Reactions: amc

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
As expected, the normal shit now days, so the same shit from me, il wait a yr - 18months for a better more stable version and a much better price, thank you, fuck off.

sendit

I upgraded to a 7800x3D last week, I swear to god if this over-expensive piece of shit cant run this at 60 I am going back to PS5.
Imagine upgrading to a 7800x3D when the Zen 5s are at the cusp of being released in the next few months. I can't.

Last edited:
Tekken 8 and Helldivers 2 launched both in such a sorry state I think I'm done buying games in launch...
Arrested Development No GIF

Game ran great and had a variety of selectable options to scale Unreal Engine 5 performance. You need at least a 4th gen NVMe SSD, but other hardware is not particularly taxed.

Last edited:

Kacho

Even in this case, the PC version is so much better.
Yeah, I think he's confused. The PC version runs anywhere between 80-90fps in the open world, where consoles are struggling to hit 40fps. Both versions suffer the most in cities, but it's still better on PC.

Buggy Loop

Even in this case, the PC version is so much better.

Consoles are stuck ~30 fps in the open world area

Imagine that

PCs are cruising 90~120 fps easy in those areas. Which is what, a good 90% of the game?

I know capcom will fix the cities. Then the remaining 10% will be top tier. I don't understand how picking >90% of the experience at much high fps than 30 with a current snag in a small part of the map is worth throwing the PC in garbage bin to pick a console which will be a garbage experience 100% of the game.

Think New Amsterdam GIF by NBC

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Gotta love all the "not optimized" stuff. Like, for real, it simply shows that the claimants don't have a clue about what optimization actually is!

It slows down in towns and other areas that are densely populated with npc's, unlike the open world which is more sparsely/dynamically populated. Which says to me its running a lot of AI scripts and managing a lot of entities. Which isn't technically anything to do with optimization, its just peak load demanding more resources.

This isn't something resolved through rewriting core functions to be more efficient, typically you simply disable stuff or make some other design alteration that caps-down the workload in those regions.

If the developer isn't prepared to make those changes, and prefers to retain integrity with their design decisions... their hands are mostly tied.

Mister Wolf

Consoles are stuck ~30 fps in the open world area

Imagine that

PCs are cruising 90~120 fps easy in those areas. Which is what, a good 90% of the game?

I know capcom will fix the cities. Then the remaining 10% will be top tier. I don't understand how picking >90% of the experience at much high fps than 30 with a current snag in a small part of the map is worth throwing the PC in garbage bin to pick a console which will be a garbage experience 100% of the game.

Think New Amsterdam GIF by NBC

You even got dudes with clearly better PCs than their consoles using these benchmarks as some kind of gotcha justification to get the console version. Shit is crazy.

3pne4m.png

Last edited:

OverHeat

« generous god »
Anything is better then 30 fps but since I have a backlog the size of Australia I will wait for a couple of patch and maybe save a couple of $$$

Top Bottom