• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Is 'Aware' of Dragon's Dogma 2 Frame Rate Issues on PC, Looking Into Fixes

Buggy Loop

I doubt Denuvo/capcom DRM is the highest culprit on the list, although their fuckup of RE8 could say otherwise

Like I said

Open world
CPU “(1) am female NPC”
CPU “is ogre excited?”

City
CPU “(50) am female NPC”
CPU for (50) female “is ogre excited?”

cook cpu GIF

JayK47

This again? OMG it can drop into the 30s...

Oh no. The 30s. That is so low. Well not really. Fucking single digits is low. A bunch of frame junkies. Cancelling pre-orders if a frame drops below 60. Standards are way to high.

It blows my mind that pages and pages get filled with pissed off gamers over fucking frame rates below 60 or even 120 now.

StereoVsn

Oh no. The 30s. That is so low. Well not really. Fucking single digits is low. A bunch of frame junkies. Cancelling pre-orders if a frame drops below 60. Standards are way to high.

It blows my mind that pages and pages get filled with pissed off gamers over fucking frame rates below 60 or even 120 now.
Your standards are too low if you think the DD2 performance is acceptable on modern hardware.

Guilty_AI

I don’t want random shit from random ass suspect company installed on my PC. That’s a very good way to get yourself hacked.

And yes, I did mean Enigma fiasco.
I don't necessarely disagree, but i never play their games online anyway so i'm not particularly worried about hackers.

Enigma itself is just translates file formats, it doesn't really have any root access to the PC, online checks or anything. Naturally there's the risk of the company itself doing shady stuff but that's a kind of risk i learned long ago i cannot avoid, though it's perfectly understandable why someone would be pissed at it (especially considering this piece of DRM doesn't even really prevent what Capcom wants to prevent).

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

Even Doom in 1993 was 35 fps so yeah, standards are higher.

nemiroff

Gold Member

The game looks like a PS4 game, all while running more sluggish and more inconsistent than a city in Cyberpunk filled to the brim with NPCs, and running at max settings and full path tracing.. The NPCs in DD2 are literally spawning in at an arms length ffs. And your mind is blown over people's reactions..

GymWolf

Looks like an issue with AMD CPUs. Here are a couple of benchmarks that show incredibly low CPU utilization. Even if its bugged, the FPS is very high.

rDsCl6b.jpg
lQasNJr.jpg
Well from the benchmarks my 13600k run almost like a 12900k (but i think it's a bit faster for gaming tho) so i think i'm not gonna have much problems outside of the cities.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member

It’s 2024, not 2014. Stop acting like this is acceptable.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent

On a 4090? Nope. Never should do that. Even the developers are looking into it.

If you pay for the most banger PC and a game struggles to stay 60fps locked, then that’s an actual issue with the game brochacho.

StereoVsn

I don't necessarely disagree, but i never play their games online anyway so i'm not particularly worried about hackers.

Enigma itself is just translates file formats, it doesn't really have any root access to the PC, online checks or anything. Naturally there's the risk of the company itself doing shady stuff but that's a kind of risk i learned long ago i cannot avoid, though it's perfectly understandable why someone would be pissed at it (especially considering this piece of DRM doesn't even really prevent what Capcom wants to prevent).
Issue with crap like Enigma is that someone does a push update and installs more shit after the fact.

Hell, it may not even be Enigma itself but since that’s really some random company, another hacker group could use them in a supply chain attacks. Not playing MP wont help then.

Plus, it is absolute unnecessary and frankly offensive to push it to older titles.

DavidGzz

I'd like to see some of these benchmarks ran at 1080p or 1440p. Yes if you have a high end gpu you expect to be able to play at 4k, but thats not always possible with these rushed unoptimized games at launch.

Having said that, the gamne barely looks much better than the orig game maxed out on PC, so i'm guessing the game must be doing a lot of stuff that simply doesnt show well on screenshots lol.

Maxed out DD1 looks like poop even compared to compressed PS5 gameplay, stop.

DavidGzz

Fextralife said that the game ran at about 80 fps most of the time at 1440p on 12900k and 3090. Only dropping to the 40s in some towns.

Im ok with that as long as the game runs at 60 fps during combat. Dont care about towns running at 30.

Yeah, I'll be fine at 1440p. 25 hours or so!

Rossco EZ

are you guys savants?!
I am sitting here, watching this on 48" tv in my face and the compresison is eating all the resolution differences you could extrapolate from that video.
Looks about identical and you are acting like if one version was 240p lol. be real
get your eyes checked then cause there's clearly a difference

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
get your eyes checked then cause there's clearly a difference
Ok. Show it to me. On the screenshots I posted.
The 1% darker shadow or the 2% more orange floor floor in the 2nd shot. wow such difference.

100000% nobody would know which version is which if showed outside of comparison.

phant0m

James Franco Reaction GIF

JayK47

In my opinion, the performance is up to the developer. If they set it to 30 fps, they should be able to do that. It can be an artistic decision. Developers are so hamstrung these days, having 3rd party consultants forced on them telling them to change the story or add BS to satisfy ESG. Gamers demanding insanely high fps to justify their PC investment. I really wish they could just make the games they want to make and let the market decide. But it sounds like they will try to make the game run faster, likely at the expense of something else, to make some happy.

Maybe it is 2024, and not 2014, but to me 2014 was not that long ago and I do not see why frames need to be so insanely high today to be considered acceptable. I always understood wanting higher resolution or better graphics. But saying anything under 60 frames is awful is so weird to me. I guess I really do have low standards in that regard. I cap my FPS at 60 intentionally and I really do not care if it drops until it gets into the teens.

I used to make custom game levels back in the Unreal Tournament days and I did have to design the level specifically to meet FPS. So I can understand if a developer wants an area to look a certain way or have content that may drop the FPS. They do know about it, and they considered that acceptable. maybe they can optimize it, but it may require cutting content or reducing affects to speed it up.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

yep, it never ends lately. And then we get hate for poor graphics when devs stick to 60fps. We get complaining one way or another.
And people don't know what low fps is lol. I have a funny story btw. I recently got into rebuying my old gpus. I have few retro pcs with goal to rebuild my 1997pc.
I even got diamond 3dfx voodoo and let me tell you... quake 2 is like 23-25 fps on it and Unreal - the game I MOST remember my beloved voodoo for is 20fps.... and that's 640x480 for both these games.
And you know what? I remember playing and finishing both of these and not even a slither of my memory is remembering the performance. In my memory, these games were amazing, looked amazing and played like a dream.
haha not my vid

Your standards are too low if you think the DD2 performance is acceptable on modern hardware.
Dude gtfo with the usual "standards too low" bullshit. That's some grade B gaslighting.
It's your standards then that are too high. you are limiting yourself and your brain ability to adapt and enjoy yourself.
I am not saying we all go back to playing Unreal 1 at 20fps and 640x480. Obviously times change but this sudden hate for every new game in tech/performance aspect is out of control. Devs cant get away with anything.
You all should just stick to playing on pc. Console is for people who want to play what devs put down.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Like Elden Ring. People forget how atrocious that game was at launch. It was so unplayable on PC I bought it on PS5.
ps5 version of launch eelden ring was rough too. no vrr back then, so it was kinda stuttery all the time since that game is never 60. I kinda got used to it.... and then the fucking vrr ps5 patch dropped.

iHaunter

ps5 version of launch eelden ring was rough too. no vrr back then, so it was kinda stuttery all the time since that game is never 60. I kinda got used to it.... and then the fucking vrr ps5 patch dropped.
Overall was still way better on PS5.

Skifi28

The ps4 version on a ps5 was the best way to play the game for a while, it's still pretty good with decent image quality and a mostly solid 60fps.

JayK47

yep, it never ends lately. And then we get hate for poor graphics when devs stick to 60fps. We get complaining one way or another.
And people don't know what low fps is lol. I have a funny story btw. I recently got into rebuying my old gpus. I have few retro pcs with goal to rebuild my 1997pc.
I even got diamond 3dfx voodoo and let me tell you... quake 2 is like 23-25 fps on it and Unreal - the game I MOST remember my beloved voodoo for is 20fps.... and that's 640x480 for both these games.
And you know what? I remember playing and finishing both of these and not even a slither of my memory is remembering the performance. In my memory, these games were amazing, looked amazing and played like a dream.
haha not my vid

Dude gtfo with the usual "standards too low" bullshit. That's some grade B gaslighting.
It's your standards then that are too high. you are limiting yourself and your brain ability to adapt and enjoy yourself.
I am not saying we all go back to playing Unreal 1 at 20fps and 640x480. Obviously times change but this sudden hate for every new game in tech/performance aspect is out of control. Devs cant get away with anything.
You all should just stick to playing on pc. Console is for people who want to play what devs put down.

You made my day. I think I still have my old Voodoo and I think it is worth a lot now. And "back in the day" 30 FPS was cruising. Anything above 20 FPS was nice. I'm not one to typically feel bad for a developer, but they truly cannot win these days.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
To be fair, they're actively working on addressing performance on PC. Not consoles. It might be bad a launch but it will get fixed eventually. Consoles... not so much.

Where do they say they're only working on improving performance on PC? And if they manage to optimize the CPU utilization on PC (which would mean general optimizations since there is no single "PC" to target), why do you think those optimizations wouldn't also benefit the console versions?

ProtoByte

The game isn't doing anything crazy too justify this. We've seen better looking and more populated open worlds, there's no destruction or dynamic physics making this chug. The best thing about the game visually is probably the particle effects.

Kacho

Where do they say they're only working on improving performance on PC? And if they manage to optimize the CPU utilization on PC (which would mean general optimizations since there is no single "PC" to target), why do you think those optimizations wouldn't also benefit the console versions?
Capcom only talked about PC performance in the PR they released earlier.

The ps4 version on a ps5 was the best way to play the game for a while, it's still pretty good with decent image quality and a mostly solid 60fps.

I played through Elden Ring on PS5 (with the PS5 version) and it was fine. There were spots where the frame rate did dip a bit but I didn't think it was that bad.

Maybe it is 2024, and not 2014, but to me 2014 was not that long ago and I do not see why frames need to be so insanely high today to be considered acceptable. I always understood wanting higher resolution or better graphics. But saying anything under 60 frames is awful is so weird to me. I guess I really do have low standards in that regard. I cap my FPS at 60 intentionally and I really do not care if it drops until it gets into the teens.

Aparently one issue is that OLED TVs have a problem with 30 fps? Which sounds silly but people keep complaining about it.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
It was so unplayable on PC I bought it on PS5.
that's not true.
yes there were issues people experienced, but saying it was unplayable is nonsense, I got it at launch and had zero issues; sure it sucked for the people who had a negative experience, but you can't just discount all the people who were playing it just fine by just stating it was "unplayable"; it wasn't.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The game isn't doing anything crazy too justify this. We've seen better looking and more populated open worlds, there's no destruction or dynamic physics making this chug. The best thing about the game visually is probably the particle effects.

You can't judge workload based on render quality alone, its all about the dynamics; how elements within the scene interact and vary.

Optimization in code is largely about pipelining, the elimination of stalls and bottlenecks within the process. The more linear you make things, the faster they run. The more branches and critical sections (points where the digital gears need to interlock) the slower it gets.

Its all about negotiating trade-offs, typically sacrificing flexibility for efficiency.

It cracks me up when people talk about "optimization" as if its some sort of special sauce that gets applied to make every issue go away!

Complex systems that require high variability are just way harder to process efficiently than ones that are more fixed function and predictable; and if you apply that understanding in terms of game-design function and requirement you will understand why titles like this tend to be very resource intensive. Moreover it also makes them way more difficult to optimize.

Kokoloko85

Lol.

Theres no reason this game cant run 60fps on consoles either.
When games like God of War Ragnarok, Horizon 2, Spiderman 2, RE4 which all run at 60fps. All are as good graphically as impressive as DD2 or more so

Stuart360

Maybe the Resi Engine just isnt good for open world games, or needs more modifications for open world games.
The engine was so good in the Resi remakes, and 7 and Village, so optimized. I could even run Village at 4k/60 on my 1080ti!.

There has for to be some reason why this is so bad.

simpatico

Are there any reports about reduced settings? Certain games have had a couple real kickers, like ultra volumetrics or some type of AO.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Maybe the Resi Engine just isnt good for open world games, or needs more modifications for open world games.
The engine was so good in the Resi remakes, and 7 and Village, so optimized. I could even run Village at 4k/60 on my 1080ti!.

There has for to be some reason why this is so bad.

DD2 puts massively more demand on the CPU than any of those rather simple games (as in there's not really that much going on at any one time), would be my guess.

ProtoByte

You can't judge workload based on render quality alone, its all about the dynamics; how elements within the scene interact and vary.

Optimization in code is largely about pipelining, the elimination of stalls and bottlenecks within the process. The more linear you make things, the faster they run. The more branches and critical sections (points where the digital gears need to interlock) the slower it gets.

Its all about negotiating trade-offs, typically sacrificing flexibility for efficiency.

It cracks me up when people talk about "optimization" as if its some sort of special sauce that gets applied to make every issue go away!

Complex systems that require high variability are just way harder to process efficiently than ones that are more fixed function and predictable; and if you apply that understanding in terms of game-design function and requirement you will understand why titles like this tend to be very resource intensive. Moreover it also makes them way more difficult to optimize.
I can acknowledge that, and still say it's not good enough. Seems to me like some devs are using the powerful hardware on consoles to brute force instead of actually taking advantage of the architecture; because none of these games that have struggled thus far are doing anything that hasn't been done before and run sufficiently therein. DD2 especially. I'm supposed to be blown away that NPCs will fight enemies if they come across them in a city's?

Is the engine properly coded to really use the I/O on either console, let alone on PC? Have they used all the threads they can on the CPU? More often than not, you find the answer to be no. I get it, the game dev process doesn't usually allow for detours like that, but it's not like Capcom rushed getting a sequel to Dragon's Dogma out anyway.

Top Bottom