• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft has revoked licenses for free Fallout 4. $10 credit given

The $10 will be credited into your account by the end of this month. Also, that message can only be accessed on the console I reckon by the image in the OP? Seems like you HAVE to read that message in order to trigger the $10 gift (stealth DRM, so MSFT can revoke the game license when you go online to read it on the console). Check if it works offline after the D/L is done. If yes, you've got 20 more days to play it offline.

I opened the message on SmartGlass.

Pretty rad though! Free Forza cars/ Rock Band DLC, here I come!

^And to above, I still have digital GOW1/2 because of a Sony error on PS3. I have them physically too, but hey, now I can be lazy haha.

MYeager

When I downloaded it I got a free $5 for some reason and that's how it shows up in my purchase history. Wonder if that means I'll get $15? I can't complain about getting free credit and a trial period of Fallout 4.

A store will not generally honor a gross price error of that magnitude.
Yeah they will, remember the PS4's people got for 150$ shortly after it came out by price matching a secondary seller on Amazon? Walmart had to change the policy because of that.

Also as someone who worked retail for nearly a decade yes you do have to give customers the lower price if its screwed up. In Gamestop's case they would generally catch the errors beforehand and it wasn't generally that big of a deal but when price changes happened and someone missed one (easy to do when you are doing several hundred at once) you would absolutely give the customer the lower price otherwise you'd have to deal with an angry customer and a DM who would just tell you to give them the lower price anyway.

I had to discount someone 80$ off a collectors edition price change someone missed.

Obviously these are different circumstances and obviously this happened on a much bigger scale but retailers do absolutely honor price mistakes like that. I'm not saying Microsoft should have in the case, just saying it certainly does happen.

Same store error:

Sony = 0$ and nothing
Microsoft = 10$ and an apology

I went PS4 this gen but man...

Eh. I'm on Xbox One and Sony's are the only platforms I don't own from the last two gens, but I wouldn't make a deal of this. It's nice MS did this, but it's not a bad thing Sony didn't. Plus, MS simultaneously has waaaay more cash to throw around and is trailing the PS4, so the scenario is a little different. MS both has more reasons to look like the nice guy and more ability to do so.

uh no... thats like saying walmart should have sent $5 giftcards to the world for not taking advantage of that webstore mishap that happened a few years back ... aka KAYAKgaf.

joke.

just saying the "You're rewarding THIEVES!" line of thinking is silly

Chris1

Yeah they will, remember the PS4's people got for 150$ shortly after it came out by price matching a secondary seller on Amazon? Walmart had to change the policy because of that.

Also as someone who worked retail for nearly a decade yes you do have to give customers the lower price if its screwed up. In Gamestop's case they would generally catch the errors beforehand and it wasn't generally that big of a deal but when price changes happened and someone missed one (easy to do when you are doing several hundred at once) you would absolutely give the customer the lower price otherwise you'd have to deal with an angry customer and a DM who would just tell you to give them the lower price anyway.

I had to discount someone 80$ off a collectors edition price change someone missed.

Obviously these are different circumstances and obviously this happened on a much bigger scale but retailers do absolutely honor price mistakes like that. I'm not saying Microsoft should have in the case, just saying it certainly does happen.
Retailers have to otherwise they're breaking the law but digital is different because you're only renting it I think. Like you don't actually own your game

Rembrandt

Banned

That's not free. I've worked retail before too and seen managers give big discounts but no store will honor it ringing up as free.

Alucrid

Banned
As far as I'm concerned Microsoft has better logic. Great PR move, quite evidently.

no one cares a few months after sony revoked the season passes. no one will really care months from now when the, probably, thousands of customers have spent their $10

Yep just got the same message..and after I had already spent 3 hours downloading the game and DLC..so I guess now I should just go ahead and delete the game?

I opened the message on SmartGlass.

Pretty rad though! Free Forza cars/ Rock Band DLC, here I come!

Thanks for the update. I remember now these kinda messages/updates when there's credit expiry about to happen (mostly from XBL Rewards program), they use similar strings like "This message can only be opened on the console" and you could totally check you GT / open it on smartglass or even it's precursor, the Xbox app, but not Xbox.com.

jony_m

That $10 apology voucher is really surprising, good on them.

I would rule MS with an iron fist... Anyone who tried to pounce on this would get a week ban from me haha

sensui-tomo

Eh. I'm on Xbox One and Sony's are the only platforms I don't own from the last two gens, but I wouldn't make a deal of this. It's nice MS did this, but it's not a bad thing Sony didn't. Plus, MS simultaneously has waaaay more cash to throw around and is trailing the PS4, so the scenario is a little different. MS both has more reasons to look like the nice guy and more ability to do so.

joke.

just saying the "You're rewarding THIEVES!" line of thinking is silly

whoops sorry, didnt pick up on the sarcasm .

HARDLY ANYONE will do this.

Not everyone has Xbox Live Gold, with free Xbox Live you have no online play (not sure if there are free to play games) and no party chat among other things. However the free Xbox Live from the 9th to the 12th of June could be a strong deterrent. Perfect timing really.

They're not really missing out on much by spending a couple of days or weeks not connected to Xbox Live other than that, they also wont be able to see what their friends are doing or message them.

Does anyone know if you have to connect to Xbox Live to access apps llke Netflix?

hemo memo

Gold Member
no one cares a few months after sony revoked the season passes. no one will really care months from now when the, probably, thousands of customers have spent their $10

They'll remember the games they bought with this 10$ and tell thier friends.

//DEVIL//

1- i got to try fallout . As u suspected, I don't like it. Just like how I don't like any game from the same type ( Morrowind, Fallout . Skyrm) . I honestly deleted it from my HDD after 20 minutes ( reached some sort of a dude with a cowboy hat and weird gun in his hand. Thats when i got bored ) . I liked the story though but the movement. Big bugs that i can hit with my hand. Movment with no control assist was all a big no no to me specially when I didnt feel the game is smooth

2- I got 10$ free from them. Thanks, I will spend it in a good sales

Awesome deal

Classy move. I mean, it's complicated because an automated store by definition has no room for pricing error correction.

Sales are presumably final, at the agreed price. So if you price at zero, your fault, really.

That said, it was clearly a financial blow and a lot of companies would have been tempted to claw the licenses back without compensation...so yeah, cool.

Bsigg12

What a crazy gesture. They have a pricing error and they're giving a $10 credit because of it? Good on you Microsoft.

Already had the game on PC, so I didn't bother.
Next time I will. Strange thing to encourage your customers to take advantage of these mistakes, but that's fine by me.

Top Bottom