• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot remastered collection coming in 2017

RK128

Bruce, man, please, don't do this to me one day into the wait.
Care to corroborate Dragon Punch's SIEJ stuff?

Well, what else could we have expected man XD? Sony & Activision want to see if the IP can go places, so they will be slowly introducing it through Activision-published productions (Skylanders Crash & Vicarious Visions Remaster/Remake of the first three games) then have Sony come in to produce a new title with a major internal studio.

If all three are a success? More might be coming :). Very excited about Crash's future after last night :D.

JamesAR15

I'm hyped af and to me they are clearly either already making a new game or gauging interest based on how the remaster does.

CfXGklGW4AAp6Jf.jpg

RK128

The PS1 classics are the most sold every month what more proof would you need.

PS1 games selling like hot cakes isn't enough; newer games haven't be introduced to Crash yet. So, him appearing in Skylanders (a huge and quality IP despite how Gaf doesn't seem to like it very much) in addition to a remake/remaster from a great Activision studio will be the stepping stone to much grander things for the IP.

But even if that is all we get with Crash, it is a hell of a lot more then nothing at all. Personally hyped for the two projects :D!

RK128

Me too. I'm mostly havin' a laugh. I honestly believe ETDP and Bruce clearly knew his shit, as Crash was right there at E3 where he said he would be, so I have plenty to look forward to.

I completely agree :). The Bandicoot is back and Sony & Activision's great relationship will foster a bright future for the Bandicoot :D.

Driw3r

Unconfirmed Member
This is good news, one of those game series which definitely needs remastered versions. I hope it will do good and we will get brand new Crash game after this.

Watevaman

This is gonna be good. I spent many months of my childhood playing Crash so even a modern graphics collection is fine by me.

I highly doubt this isn't something more like the R&C reboot (though not as high budget) then a simple up-res of a few games that's incredibly easy to get as is.

Not the best news I wanted, but I'm still excited and they've put good people on this project so if it's meant to gauge interest for a proper and faithful comeback then hopefully it sells really well. The use of the modern voice actors rather than the original game's also makes me hopeful they'll keep around some of the cooler elements from the post Naughty Dog games.

Skylanders Crash looks surprisingly cool to me, though it helps with how faithful they've kept his moveset. Besides the slightly too large head I'd honestly be fine with a new Crash using a variation of that design.

I think, first and foremost, we should be thankful that there were enough people who bought the re-released PSone games to justify a remaster collection.

Otherwise, a remaster collection would'nt have interested neither Sony nor Activision..

RK128

Does not Sony has rights for first 4 games of PS1 ? So these remasters might still be exclusive to PS.

The rights are a bit tricky; Sony owns the publishing rights to the first three games and Naughty Dog owns the source codes to the four Crash games they produced. BUT that did not stop Universal from using assets and music tracks Naughty Dog composed in the past (Nitro Kart, Wrath of Cortex and the GBA games come to mind here).

If Vicarious Visions is making this from the ground up, the source code will be owned by Activision (unless Sony made a deal of some kind), leading to the chance of the collection finding home on Xbox and Nintendo systems likely in the future.

But, this isn't a problem overall; rumors from trusted sources point to a new Crash game from Studio Japan to be in the works and considering that is a Sony studio, it WILL be PlayStation Exclusive.

breakfuss

The rights are a bit tricky; Sony owns the publishing rights to the first three games and Naughty Dog owns the source codes to the four Crash games they produced. BUT that did not stop Universal from using assets and music tracks Naughty Dog composed in the past (Nitro Kart, Wrath of Cortex and the GBA games come to mind here).

If Vicarious Visions is making this from the ground up, the source code will be owned by Activision (unless Sony made a deal of some kind), leading to the chance of the collection finding home on Xbox and Nintendo systems likely in the future.

But, this isn't a problem overall; rumors from trusted sources point to a new Crash game from Studio Japan to be in the works and considering that is a Sony studio, it WILL be PlayStation Exclusive.

Yikes...the same people who made Knack..

Stop. Trusted rumours also said there would be a transfer of ownership to Sony. It's an Activision property, nothing more.

Studio Japan wouldn't know what a Bandicoot even was.

The deluded people who think they are just going to do a remaster and not a full Abe's New N Tasty type grounds up remake. If it was just a normal Remaster they could release it this year...

RK128

Stop. Trusted rumours also said there would be a transfer of ownership to Sony. It's an Activision property, nothing more.

Studio Japan wouldn't know what a Bandicoot even was.

Regarding the bolded, who's to say that isn't in the process right now?

Activision not popping up in the Uncharted 4 credits is still odd and not explained and Sony being the one to announced these projects considering how both are likely not exclusive is interesting too; Crash may be owned by Activision still, but Sony is having an oddly large role in marketing things now.

Not going to comment much on this, but I expect the rights issues to be questioned during interviews and stuff with Sony heads this week. We will get our answer then.

RK128

The same people who made Ape Escape and Puppeteer, though. Also the same people who worked on Crash's Japanese versions back on PS1, most likely. I think it'd be a great fit.

I agree too. Puppeteer was an amazing platformer and the studios Ape Escape titles are fantastic :). Them working on Crash if the rumors are true is something we should be excited about, not worried for.

And even if the team that made Knack might be working on this, they could use what they learned from that project to make a great Crash game.

Activision not popping up in the Uncharted 4 credits is still odd and not explained and Sony being the one to announced these projects considering how both are likely not exclusive is interesting too; Crash may be owned by Activision still, but Sony is having an oddly large role in marketing things now.

Not going to comment much on this, but I expect the rights issues to be questioned during interviews and stuff with Sony heads this week. We will get our answer then.
The fact this remake is 100% handled by Activision and they never mention that they are naughty dog games tells me Crash isn't going anywhere.

Because Crash is in Skylanders and that is going to make Activision a space boat load of dollar.

Let it go.

zma1013

Doesn't matter if it's a collection or not. All that matters is what they mean by "remastered" really. It could be a graphic's upscale or it could be different.

The dude on stage at the conference said they were being rebuilt from the ground up. I don't know if that actually means that though, he could have just been misinformed possibly.

I would imagine though that completely rebuilding 3 old games would be more work than just making a new one, right? So why not make a new one?

And there it is. Absolute garbage.
Kidding, right?

You can't get better than Crash Warped, so why bother trying? Honestly, unless Naughty Dog made it I wouldn't want a brand new Crash because it just won't be as good. Having the original 3 Remastered is great. Hopefully this means that the PSOne classics will work on Vita in the US soon too.

RK128

Whenever the rights are with Sony & Activision are right now, its amazing to see the Bandicoot back :). Looking forward to playing as him in the new Skylanders this year and playing his remastered romp through the first three games next year :D.

Kidding, right?

You can't get better than Crash Warped, so why bother trying? Honestly, unless Naughty Dog made it I wouldn't want a brand new Crash because it just won't be as good. Having the original 3 Remastered is great. Hopefully this means that the PSOne classics will work on Vita in the US soon too.

This is spot on. If we'd seen a new game, no doubt many would have complained that it was either too different, or exactly the same as the originals, just prettier.

This way, we get the undisputed best 3 games in the series, remastered with trophy support; the developers would have to actually try to fuck that up.

As someone whose favourite game of all time is Crash Bandicoot: Warped, this is phenomenal news.

Tratorn

If the game was (fully) exclusive, they probably would have said so.
I expect the games for other platforms as well.

I'll buy them on eay 1 for sure, but I really would be much happier if they remaster CTR as well.

TheGrue

I always thought people were joking when they said they wanted Crash games. Those games weren't very good back then and they're even worse now. People really like Crash?

Top Bottom