• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Joystiq videos were great, although they didn't have any footage of Invasion or Generator Defence (why isn't this simply called "Lockdown", by the way?). I loved the Slayer game on Powerhouse. I think that or Overlook will be my favourite in the beta.

derFeef

Shake Appeal said:
Joystiq videos were great, although they didn't have any footage of Invasion or Generator Defence (why isn't this simply called "Lockdown", by the way?). I loved the Slayer game on Powerhouse. I think that or Overlook will be my favourite in the beta.
Gametrailers has a 2-part Invasion video.

Waypoint's footage is the most informative, but the compression isn't great and the colours looks a little... baked? Jaggies are widely noticeable, but are not as obvious as they were in Halo 3. And yeah, you get to see the rockets locking onto a Banshee, Warthog turret overheating, etc.

Really benefits from being made by people who know what's new and interesting for Halo fans.

neoism said:
So is all the stupid writing and numbers at the bottom center of the screen going to be on the pubic beta??
As far as I recall, that stuff was in the pre-beta for Halo 3 but didn't make it into the public beta, and I imagine it'll be the same here. I thought they said they were going to put the Arena formula on screen when those games were in progress, but again, I could have imagined this.

Watching everything. So much stuff.

Popeck said:
The videos should come online in about three minutes. Woo!

EDIT: Old? Lost of footage from Giant Bomb: http://www.giantbomb.com/ask-me-anything-halo-reach/17-2381/
Thanks.
bobs99 ... said:
Whoa, Ive watched about 10 mins of that video and I have to say

First person warthog - SUPER AWESOME

New commentator - not so super awesome. - I know the old one is back and that I guess Generator defence is more story based so needs a more 'realistic' commentary. Still it would be awesome to hear "Protect the generators" from a dude who sounds like he wants to rip your head off if you fail.

Edit: Oh wait, maybe im wrong, seems like theres a mix of new commentator for some stuff and old guy for some stuff.
Remember, this gametype may not even be in the final game.
Deadly Cyclone said:
Hmm just saw this press release pop up.
Fucking sweet.
Shake Appeal said:
On the subject of Achievements, I'd like to see them take out multiplayer achievements all together (apart from a few for basically trying out the features, or reaching a certain rank, or others that are similarly abstracted from how the game is actually played). I don't want to have any repeats of those experiences of people whining in lobbies about achievements or hogging the spartan laser looking for a twofer, or whatever else.
I agree. From the looks of it, there's going to be so much stuff in Reach that would make it a waste to make any achievements for MP.

Edit:
nilam01 said:
I'm gonna be honest here, I thought the alpha footage looked better..
...What? Weren't you the one complaining about graphics for a few pages in the last thread?

Sill4 said:
Fucking joystiq vids keep freezing on me :(
I loaded them all up, waited for them to download completely, then put the first one fullscreen and pressed the screen to play and it goddamn took me to Vlimeo or whatever the fuck.
Zeouterlimits said:
From what? The multiplayer madness trailer? Justify with screenshots?
By Alpha footage he means the single player.

nilam01 said:
I'm gonna be honest here, I thought the alpha footage looked better..
Huh? The graphics have obviously and evidently improved since then. Gun models in particular look more detailed, but there are also seem to be more decorators, foliage, etc. on the maps.

I think much of the footage suffers because watching someone play any videogame badly sort of snaps you out of it, but visually it's definitely looking as good as it ever has.

Shake Appeal said:
Waypoint's footage is the most informative, but the compression isn't great and the colours looks a little... baked?
Not entirely certain and Cocop may be able to answer more specifically, but I think a lot of the playback fidelity has to do with connection, since it's being streamed from Xbox LIVE. For example, mine at home looks snazzy, but I tried a box in the office and it wasn't nearly as pretty.

Nevertheless, Reach in person looks amazing.

FrankT

Yea Waypoint hardly ever looks good to me, but Netflix I rarely have a bad picture. I rarely use Waypoin because of that. 6mb connection just doesn't cut all too well for Waypoint. Can't wait for all the pixel counting fun in the next week, not heh.

Mr Vociferous said:
Not entirely certain and Cocop may be able to answer more specifically, but I think a lot of the playback fidelity has to do with connection, since it's being streamed from Xbox LIVE.
No, I presumed that's it. The compression is horribly obvious when you look at the artifacting on the Loadout tile in the corner. And it's more noticeable when a video is playing full-sized on my 22" monitor, whereas the GB/Joystiq videos are in a corner of my laptop screen.

That said, it would be nice to be able to download a proper HD version that could be watched outside of Waypoint.

Watched IGN's video preview. God damn I'm excited. I'm a little concerned about getting used to the control changes but it'll come eventually. I'm really excited to try Stockpile and Generator Defense. Invasion too, but Stockpile and Generator Defense just have me excited for some reason.

One of the best things to come out of all this footage is gameplay with nothing compromising game sounds. Grenades sound absolutely fan-fucking-tastic. Unbelievable sound work! All the weapons sound amazing, with different effects for different spaces...

I may have to connect my pc speakers to my 360 for the duration of the BETA. My current setup just isnt going to cut it.

PzDFY.png

As good as it was to watch some real game-play, I am annoyed with how bad the majority of press are.

I wish they would bring some actual Halo players into the studio to play their games, and then show THOSE videos....

2v2 Invasion is not that interesting to watch :p

Regardless, the game looks amazing and I cannot wait!

BladedExpert said:
One of the best things to come out of all this footage is gameplay with nothing compromising game sounds. Grenades sound absolutely fan-fucking-tastic. Unbelievable sound work! All the weapons sound amazing, with different effects for different spaces...

I may have to connect my pc speakers to my 360 for the duration of the BETA. My current setup just isnt going to cut it.
Yeah. The gun sounds are amazing. Especially the Needle Rifle.

Dax01 said:
Yeah. The gun sounds are amazing. Especially the Needle Rifle.
I'm also impressed by the sounds of bullets whizzing past you when someone is barely missing shots. Halo has always had good sound work but they're really cranking it up to 11 :D

chrisgrant said:
If you're having trouble with our vids, check the FAQ here: http://www.viddler.com/help/faq/

holy crap, chris grant!
love the podcast

Mr Vociferous said:
Not entirely certain and Cocop may be able to answer more specifically, but I think a lot of the playback fidelity has to do with connection, since it's being streamed from Xbox LIVE. For example, mine at home looks snazzy, but I tried a box in the office and it wasn't nearly as pretty.

Nevertheless, Reach in person looks amazing.

waypoint's vids always look great for me at home. i wonder why there's huge discrepancy? also, shouldn't the waypoint videos look the best at the WAYPOINT offices?? someone needs to get on that.

You should only be entering that once. It should've saved a cookie. Try reloading the page to reload those Flash embeds, which will hopefully read your cookie state so you're not re-entering that info seven times.

Monocle

Gui_PT said:
I am going to marry this game!

Love all the gametypes, love all the weapons. Love how you feel the shock of an explosion and you even lose your hearing for a while.

Didn't really like the fact that you have to press a button to pick up a health pack though
No, that's a good thing. It'll help prevent careless players with a sliver of health depleted from accidentally snatching up a health pack.

DualX

Kinda lttp, but I am surprised that I didn't see anyone taking DUDE or BROS as their tag. Probably going to roll with DEWL like I did with ODST.

Can't wait to view all of these vids. =o

Azar

Hey, chrisgrant is my former boss! Well, indirectly. :D

I'm sure all these videos would choke on my netbook, so I have to wait till I get home to watch them. And waiting is not fun.

Gui_PT

Monocle said:
No, that's a good thing. It'll help prevent careless players with a sliver of health depleted from accidentally snatching up a health pack.

I thought about that, and you're right. But it'll also cause me to die many times because I'm being shot at, and because of that, being too clumsy to be able to look at the medpack and pressing a button before dying

NG28

From the looks of these vids I think I'm going to be using roll a lot with elities. It seems like it pretty much does same job as armor lock w/o the EMP and sticky drop but also without vulnerability afterwards.

Invasion also looks batshit insane. Always something going on even though the map is huge.

My understand is Marty oversees all of the audio stuff, but obviously it's a big team and there would be subdivisions within it (music, audio, VA).

mr afghan jones said:
Multiplayer acheivements should be based around something like medals and daily/weekly challenges.

So unlock 50 unique medals or, 1000 total medals or sometihng similar.

Doesnt force a particular playstyle or weird behaviour such as camping a certain weapon, but encourages everyone to try different things to get different medals.

Unlocks over time for pretty much anyone eventually but works better than a 'play 100 matches' type cheevo as it gives up the goods sooner for those who do well and get tons of medals.

I love you.

Top Bottom