• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

feel

Great update. Nice to read that melee and grenades will be improved for ship.

They need to add more satisfying rumble/sound to melee and splattering, the feel of them in reach is a huge step back from the previous halos. Why is stuff like this even changed?

Yeah, if you have a good team and spawn as a Spartan, there is no way in hell that the Elites are winning. It feels so one-sided it's not even funny.

In the game that I just played as a Spartan, I got 9 kills, 8 assists and 2 deaths. The Elites didn't even get into the first zone once.

Thermite

backflip10019 said:
Welp, my immediate impressions of Invasion are that it fucking sucks. So unbalanced in favor of Spartans.

This is pretty much how I feel. I don't think Invasion completely sucks, but playing as an Elite is far more frustrating than I originally thought it would. Spawning with a Needler or a Plasma Repeater/Plasma Pistol while Spartans get an AR/Pistol or a DMR for the initial weapon spawn feels ridiculously unfair. Especially if you're playing against people who know how to use a DMR and Pistol well. In the second and third phases, Spartans get a plethora of power weapons (Sniper Rifles, Spartan Lasers, and Rockets) to pick off Elites from a distance while they charge. I think Elites only have a chance to grab a Focus Rifle and a Plasma Cannon? The hell. :/

Cant0na

Banned
this kid on the spartan team told me -

"ill climb on your back and hump you dinosaur"......then he did cause elite loadouts ARE BROKEN

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Also of note are the fireteam configurations. While we mentioned earlier on Bungie.net that full squads of six would remain glued together, it’s actually set to distribute squad’s fireteams on both sides of the ball. As long as you go in with an even number, you can expect to play alongside at least one of your bros, but you might make note that it’s entirely possible for a squad of four or six to end up squaring off against each other after their distinct fireteams are selected and split up across Boneyard.

What is this shit? We're getting split up even as a full party of 6. I understand being on seperate fireteams, but there's STILL party splitting in a game that's coming out 3 years after Halo 3?

Why the fuck does Bungie have such an obsession with party splitting? I don't invite my friends to a party only to face off against them in MM, for fuck's sake.

Dirtbag

Domino Theory said:
What is this shit? We're getting split up even as a full party of 6. I understand being on seperate fireteams, but there's STILL party splitting in a game that's coming out 3 years after Halo 3?

Why the fuck does Bungie have such an obsession with party splitting? I don't invite my friends to a party only to face off against them in MM, for fuck's sake.

I'm pretty sure they addressed it as a bug.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Probably mentioned but why don't the teams switch at the end of an Invasion game?

shouldn't both teams get a chance to attack and defend?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
D4Danger said:
Probably mentioned but why don't the teams switch at the end of an Invasion game?

It will in at launch.

D4Danger said:

Not in the beta:

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=BWU_050710

In effort to keep matchmaking churn at maximum, you should expect to play one-sided games for now. You’ll either be a Spartan or Elite, defense or offense, with no chance to switch it up until the next match begins. It's all on autopilot. Don’t worry, though, you’ll definitely get to experience play from both species’ perspectives as long as you get in a respectable number of games.

Kapura

Banned
D4Danger said:

Sketch said it was to increase volume of games. Makes sense.

Oozer3993

D4Danger said:

In the final game they will, but Bungie wanted as many unique games as possible in the beta, for data collection purposes, so they cut it in half.

Domino Theory said:

Quite a few pages ago, right when Invasion went live and people started complaining about party splitting. Sketch responded, calling it a bug.

WOW Juices and I just lost in Invasion as the Elites by literally one foot. Fucking Spartans had a thousand power weapons and just kept spamming us. Fuck this gametype. Out of the 6 matches that I've played, Elites have never won.

IJoel

What? Teams of only two during Invasion? I really don't like the concept at all.

PS: I realize I'm late to the invasion party, but I just had a chance to try it.

Trasher

EazyB said:
I'm surprised most of the people that dig Reach's garbage in the other playlists are disliking this more than I am. Maybe it's just lower expectations because Invasion always looked like a glorified match of Territories and 1-flag to me. Anyways, Trasher and I played 6 quick matches and I had more fun with it than with anything else in the beta. The first 5 we were covie every single time but despite the disadvantage we won each match. I say disadvantage because against equally-skilled players the covie side would get destroyed due to some of the gametype choices. Our last game when we were finally spartans ended up 3v6 but we still managed to fend them off :lol

Things I don't like about it:
  • Covie loadouts blow: no long range at the beginning, shotty vs sword, grenade launcher vs... needler?, ghost vs warthog, wraith vs scorpian, and more.
  • As I predicted, vehicles are death traps, the only one I think is balanced properly is the tank but I don't have enough games under my belt to say that for certain.
  • The spawning system seems borderline broken. Incredibly inconsistent.

I just hope they iron out the party splitting thing then I'll spend the vast majority of my time in there destroying terrible players. I may think Reach is poop when playing competitively but destroying players that are worse than you is still just as fun.

Haven't got a chance to read the BWU but I like what I read about the quitter ban. I hope they really are liberal about its use.
FEAR THE SHOTGUN, ELITES. FEAR IT.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
user_nat said:
So.. does anyone like Invasion?

I think I will like it in customs and things like that because right now with random players and never having a full team it is actually kinda boring. It always seems unbalanced and I am not talking about skill or weapon loadouts but how 1 teams seems to know what they are doing and the other team has no clue. :lol

GhaleonEB

backflip10019 said:
Yeah, if you have a good team and spawn as a Spartan, there is no way in hell that the Elites are winning. It feels so one-sided it's not even funny.

In the game that I just played as a Spartan, I got 9 kills, 8 assists and 2 deaths. The Elites didn't even get into the first zone once.
Like 1-Flag on Sword Base, the first phase of Invasion seems to break some fundamental rules about map design. IIRC, Boneyard was actually plucked from campaign and brought to MP (undoubtedly tweaked), but it does not have the polish or depth of design that a MP map should have.

When Invasion was announced, I thought the initial phase would be about trying to prevent one team from sneaking into the base. Instead, it's a shooting gallery. It's like clay pigeons are being launched at the defenders, and we have to clean up the ones that get through the initial salvos. And with only two main ways in, there's no tension about where they're coming from. Like Sword Base, there's only two ways in: the stairs. In particular, the stairs we saw them heading toward.

I thought the Invasion structure would be: 1) A small-scale mission where one team tries to sneak into the base via multiple routes and unlock the second half of the map. Then a longer-range fight where the attackers spawn in the previous base, and the defenders fall back and there's a larger, slightly escalated shootout. And then a vehicular assault on the last phase.

I think that's the idea it tries for, but the game plays out as: 1) shooting gallery, 2) shooting gallery, 3) camp the Core room and if it gets out, a vehicular clusterfuck with rockets and lasers and grenade launchers and grenade launchers and grenade launchers and grenade launchers and grenade launchers. It lacks that sense of evolution and escalation.

I think roughly the same geometry and structure could result in something great, so I'm hopeful it's tweaked big time for ship. But the load outs, objective placements and weapon mix really don't gel.
TheSeks said:
Give it to me, baby. Give it to me all the time.
TheSeks

Edit: also the BWU rocked. Lots and lots and lots of great fixes. The new Banhammer is great. Between the Quit Ban and the "sudden death" mercy ending of a lopsided game, that will go a long ways toward addressing miscreants in matchmaking. Delightful stuff.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
user_nat said:

Invasion: Meh.
Invasion Slayer: Give it to me, baby. Give it to me all the time. (This and Team SWAT = mmm'yes)

IJoel

Maybe I'll end up liking Invasion, but after 1 game I didn't even want to play more. Invasion Slayer seemed much better, though again, I don't care for the 2-man teams at all.

I'll give it a try later to see if it clicks.

Sanic

I have yet to see the elites win a match. Anecdotal, of course, and I haven't played a massive amount of games, but it seems i'm not the only one after reading through the last few pages.. We may have a bit of a problem.

RdN

I'm VERy, VERY, VERY happy about the Quitter's Ban! Man, I hoped for this kind of thing since Halo 2, and it's finally here. Kudos, Bungie.

I was really really disappointed after the first couple hours of just Invasion. I set it down and decided to come back to it later, and now I'm freakin loving it. It helps to know what is going on. Teammates with mics works wonders and knowing the map also seems to help. :lol

It's basically Battlefield's Rush mode isn't it? I mean not identical but overall its pretty damn similar. The one glowing difference is having to bring the objective back to the base, but everything else as far as the gametype goes is BF Rush. I mentioned the other day how I'd love to take Halo's weaponry and vehicles into a game like Battlefield's Rush mode. Its fun as hell.

I do wish they would change it so it is just two teams of 6 on each side and then split those six into two squads allowing you to spawn on your squad. Plus it will keep people from bolting for the door when it appears it is a bunch of two man teams fighting each other...lol It seems like every match someone comes in and starts screaming about it being 2 vs. 2 vs. 2 vs 2 vs 2 vs 2 before being told it isn't like that. Obviously this will stop once people know how it works, but its just kinda funny hearing people's reactions in the meantime.

user_nat said:

Not sure. The teams felt really unbalanced. We got stomped badly by Spartans and we went on to destroy the other team as the Conevant. There's no middle ground. Either we lost fast or we won quickly.

I'm hating the matchmaking right now. Either I'm on an awesome team that decimates the competition or on a team of losers who can't play at all. My 5+ losses in a row speak for themself :lol Only had one tight match. Had one guy running his mouth off telling the team how badly they suck when he has 4 kills compared to my 18 by the end of the match. We went on to lose the match 47-50 because of him.

MrDaravon

Played 3 games of Invasion, 2 games of Invasion Slayer. I wouldn't say it's complete garbage, but it's pretty close. The idea is sound, but it's unbalanced and broken for a number of reasons right now; many of them seem to have already been addressed or certainly will be before release. However that doesn't help me enjoy the game now, and quite frankly I'm pretty disappointed. I would have thought the new backend stuff (like bnet connectivity, Party/lobby system and filters, etc.) would be way more broken and buggy than the main gameplay itself.

My personal problems with Invasion:
-Spawns seem to be broken and inconsistent; it will take me eons to spawn in the back of my base, or my teammate will be nowhere near combat and take forever to spawn. Alternatively I've had multiple people (on the enemy team) spawn literally right in my face, and not as a result of a fireteam spawn or anything.
-Heavily favors Spartans right now. Elites get no ranged starting weapons, but more importantly later on Spartans get access to Grenade Launchers, which make it ridiculously easy to effectively nerf vehicles. All it seems to take is Spartans getting a good Warthog or Scorpion up, and assuming they don't completely suck they can prevent you from getting a weapon drop, which is your best chance to actually get something to stop them with. And one time a Spartan stole our Banshee, and just completely destroyed our team with it, absolutely nothing we could do against it.
-Map is ridiculously large for 6v6. This is less of a problem in regular Invasion, but in Invasion Slayer it makes the first phase goddamn ridiculous. Later phases are not much better, even with ranged weapons I was literally spending 30 seconds trying to spot anyone from anywhere. Regular Invasion's objectives essentially funnel combat which helps alleviate this, but the map is still way too big for 6v6, and it's borderline terrible in Slayer since there's no single focus.
-The team splitting is ridiculous. We played 3 games with a guy and his guest. Not only did he and his guest not get put on the same fireteam, all 3 games they were on completely opposite sides. Seriously, how do you fuck this up that bad? We had a few randoms in each game, and they were really confused and didn't understand why they had gotten split up.
-The in-game scoreboard could be split up better with headers or something to indicate sides. Could also be put maybe side-by-side, having to scroll down to see your kills if you're on the bottom third or so of the scoreboard teams seems ridiculous.

It's basically unbalanced, the map is too big for the player count, and honestly it's just not a lot of fun right now. If I've got a group on but they're one or two short of 12 players I'll probably be willing to hop on, but other than that I think I'm pretty much done here. Generator Defense has no appeal to me with being only 3v3, and given how they fucked up party splitting and game balance in Invasion, I don't even know that I'd trust they'd get that right. I'm sure when the final game comes out this stuff will all be addressed or mostly addressed, but right now I'm super bummed out and disappointed. I think playing it a lot more (like I have been) is only going to make it worse, so I'm going to stop now while I still have some excitement left for the final product and not let problems that will likely only exist in this Beta get me down. Sorry urk :(

Are we going to be able to customize our Elite characters or is that just for the Spartans? It would be really cool to be able to customize both instead of just the Spartan.

zumphry

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Edit: also the BWU rocked. Lots and lots and lots of great fixes. The new Banhammer is great. Between the Quit Ban and the "sudden death" mercy ending of a lopsided game, that will go a long ways toward addressing miscreants in matchmaking. Delightful stuff.

I'd love to see (doubt it's possible) for games like that to transform into FFA games with the guy that's had his team desert him become a Juggernaut. The other team would still win, but the guy left behind could have a consolation prize of smashing the holy living fuck out of the other people and causing massive amounts of carnage. :lol

MrDaravon

Mizzou Gaming said:
Are we going to be able to customize our Elite characters or is that just for the Spartans? It would be really cool to be able to customize both instead of just the Spartan.

I would assume yes since the Special Edition comes with that Elite MP armor.

Oozer3993

Ajemsuhgao said:
I do. A lot.

So do I.

Pandoracell said:
I have yet to see the elites win a match. Anecdotal, of course, and I haven't played a massive amount of games, but it seems i'm not the only one after reading through the last few pages.. We may have a bit of a problem.

I played 17 games (so far) of Invasion today, probably 12 of straight up Invasion, and the Elites won 4 of them, I think.

GhaleonEB said:

How does the banhammer work for the quitters? I don't quit so I don't know, and didn't even know it existed.

I really wish they could find a way to seperate mic users from nonmic users. The social settings is nice and all, but I don't think its going to help a whole lot. Maybe it will, its obviously way too early to tell. I do appreciate the effort Bungie is putting into it.

SailorDaravon said:
I would assume yes since the Special Edition comes with that Elite MP armor.

Hmmm thats a pretty good point you have there. :lol I forgot all about that. This makes me very happy, because that Elite huffing and puffing after Invasion in the stats screen is just screaming to get all dolled up.

I'm going to be providing periodic updates about Invasion and the stats of the games that I play. Thus far I have played 8 matches of Invasion. Spartans have won 8 times and Elites have won 0 times.

It's almost embarrassing that Bungie thought this was balanced.

Alucrid

Banned
backflip10019 said:
I'm going to be providing periodic updates about Invasion and the stats of the games that I play. Thus far I have played 8 matches of Invasion. Spartans have won 8 times and Elites have won 0 times.

It's almost embarrassing that Bungie thought this was balanced.

I've been in a few games where the Elites won, I'd say it was 20% for me or so.

ManCannon

Not that it helps for the purposes of the beta but to reiterate - yes it's a bummer parties get split across teams and it isn't "by design." unfortunately a bug was identified at the root but its not something that can be hot fixed into the beta. You'll also play both offense and defense in the final game.

Also some very interesting internal discussions and findings today regarding headshots with precision weapons. I hope to be able to share details soon but the gist is that I think the end result will be a much welcomed tweak for the final game.

Took 9 games but thanks to party splitting, the Elites won. I was left solo on a team of scrubs against 4 solid players as Elites. Goddamn, if it isn't one thing, it's the other..

NG28

From my experience, the elites usually always get to the 3rd round. If they can get the core out of the base and in the open, they usually always score. It's getting the core out of the base which is a bitch, and where spartans have the only real advantage.

RyuHayate

While I'll attest to the fact that Spartans do have the edge in terms of load out options during the initial phase of Invasion, the Elites have the upper hand in armor abilities.

I notice many complaining about Elites getting picked off too easily by DMRs and whatnot, but they can use active camo to their advantage if they choose to.

Top Bottom