• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Hey You

I can't wait for the full release this fall. Glitch fixes,Customs,Full Matchmaking,Campaign.

What's not to be excited about?

Anybody got room for me in an Arena party? I do good when I have a decent team that I'm used to, but playing with randoms who the hell knows what's gunna happen

GT: MetallicLlama

Proven

GhaleonEB said:
And Firefight. Don't forget about Firefight. <3

There's bound to be a subset of Reach's MP that I latch on to and enjoy, as I did with Halo 3's BTB. It's just not in the Beta.

Oh yeah, Firefight. Can never hate Firefight.

Network Test 1 should be fun. On paper the attackers have an overwhelming advantage at it though.

Dirtbag

I think for me its:
1).The encounters take too long, ends with backup arriving or running away when shield beeps too often. UNLESS YOU HAVE GRENADES (blah).
2).The Vehicle combat absolutely sucks balls right now.
3).Everything feels too heavy, in the gears way. From the spartans walk to the warthog turret.
4).Constantly dying by grenades from the guy you just killed just feels so cheap
5).Armor lock interupts the game pace. The others are all mobility enhancements.
6).Melee battles are messy (Especially my 10ft. Elite vs. the midget Spartans). Luckily it sounds like this is changing away from the two punch bullshit.
7).I feel like we are 1 for 3 in the maps right now. Powerhouse being the best of the bunch, but clearly done better when it was called High Ground.

I really am pretty disappointed across the board.

Do like the graphics, I think it looks pretty amazing ghosting aside.
And the hitscan weapons, welcome back... you were missed.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
The first round of Invasion Objective should be hard for the Spartans to stop the Elites. I'm not saying it's easy but the Spartans definitely have an advantage with a much much better weapon loadout. If Spartans stop the Elites in the first part, it should be because they're the far far superior team. It should be very rewarding for the Spartans to end the round in the first part. Instead, it's almost expected. I'm not so sure it should be like that.

Also, the weapon drops in Invasion Slayer and actually this applies to the rest of the game too but in Invasion Slayer the weapons are dropped right on each other and so I can't pick up the weapon I want to. It would be nice if they were spread out a little so that I can pick the weapon that I want without accidentally picking up something else. This happens in regular games as well. I want to pick up the flag and I pick up the plasma repeater. I go to reload and I pick up a gun on the floor. It's sometimes difficult to pick up the weapon I want. It feels a little different than Halo 3 in that regard. They might seem like minor things, and they are, but if I'm playing competitively and I really want to win, little things like this are really annoying.

feel

Blueblur1 said:
Hmmm... Reach. Anyone else not excited about the fall release after playing the Beta?
Campaign and Coop still have me very excited. About the Versus, definitely much less excited about it, but that's not saying much, since my hype for it pre-beta was on ridiculous levels.

I have more realistic expectations now, I'm liking it, and I can see it being my go-to game as every Halo always is, but lots of stuff needs to be fixed, nerfed and balanced for it to get to that superior level the Halo games always are at for me, and I don't know if Bungie will do a very good job about it because there are too many conflicting opinions between the old fans and the new.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Tashi0106 said:
The first round of Invasion Objective should be hard for the Spartans to stop the Elites. I'm not saying it's easy but the Spartans definitely have an advantage with a much much better weapon loadout. If Spartans stop the Elites in the first part, it should be because they're the far far superior team. It should be very rewarding for the Spartans to end the round in the first part. Instead, it's almost expected. I'm not so sure it should be like that.

I agree with this. We have finally won 2 in a row as Elites, but the first section is crazy sometimes.

Fun though, I like Invasion Slayer as well.

soldat7

Letters said:
Campaign and Coop still have me very excited. About the Versus, definitely much less excited about it, but that's not saying much, since my hype for it pre-beta was on ridiculous levels.

I have more realistic expectations now, I'm liking it, and I can see it being my go-to game as every Halo always is, but lots of stuff needs to be fixed, nerfed and balanced for it to get to that superior level the Halo games always are at for me, and I don't know if Bungie will do a very good job about it because there are too many conflicting opinions between the old fans and the new.

Hyperbole, etc. Some stuff needs fixing, not lots of stuff. Bungie will do what Bungie does, regardless of what you or I say. Ultimately they are making Reach something that they want to play, not something to appease HaloGAF. They're on a trajectory to making their best multiplayer title ever, and thank goodness for that. Halo was growing extremely stale.

Striker

I love Invasion, but my only concern is the rounds. If the Elites do not capture the initial point, it's over. It would be cool if, similarly to Battlefield, we each take a turn on Spartans side and Elites side. Not sure how scoring would happen, in terms of capturing a Core.

Also, I heard "Flag Dropped!" when a Core got dropped. Minor bug.

EDIT

I guess ManCannon already answered this question of OFF/DEF, nice.

Striker

soldat7 said:
Hyperbole, etc. Some stuff needs fixing, not lots of stuff. Bungie will do what Bungie does, regardless of what you or I say. Ultimately they are making Reach something that they want to play, not something to appease HaloGAF. They're on a trajectory to making their best multiplayer title ever, and thank goodness for that. Halo was growing extremely stale.

re: "Old fans" and the new

Fans from Halo 2 to Halo 3 felt the same way. But it didn't hurt the product nor did it effect sales. Really a non-factor to me.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
soldat7 said:

I think we'll see just how the smallest changes make the biggest differences. I have faith.

Anybody else think the new vehicles control is screwed up? The warthog was so fucking fast and the scorpion is nearly impossible to back up.

side-note: Just won a game of arena slayer 3 vs. 4 when one of our guys quit right at the start:D

Anyone else notice that the stealth elites have the little UNSC stealth packs on their back? That's something Bungie should probably take care of, unless they want it to look like Elites are trying to steal technology they already have.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Well final thoughts, Invasion grew on me quite a bit. Even as the Elites it isn't as hard as once thought, if you come up from the sites and just continue to chip away at the timer on the capture points you can get past the first stage. We won as Elites a few times.

Invasion slayer is awesome, I was able to win as both sides.

Overall, feels much better than when I started tonight. Screens coming tomorrow when Bnet shows them.

Arena aggregates:

egwcp2.png

Fuck the DMR. Useless for me.

Personally, after gauging my expectations before the release of the beta, I was really expecting more from Bungie. Invasion was touted as the be all end all of multiplayer FPS gametypes ... And to be honest I find it to be completely the opposite. I played around 14 games of Invasion tonight. Elites won twice. Does this sound like a balanced gametype? No, it does not.

It's really disappointing that Bungie would hype something so inherently flawed and get our hopes up so much for a cohesive large multiplayer experience. Because of how inherently flawed Invasion is, I almost feel cheated.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Deadly Cyclone said:
Well final thoughts, Invasion grew on me quite a bit. Even as the Elites it isn't as hard as once thought, if you come up from the sites and just continue to chip away at the timer on the capture points you can get past the first stage. We won as Elites a few times.

Invasion slayer is awesome, I was able to win as both sides.

Overall, feels much better than when I started tonight. Screens coming tomorrow when Bnet shows them.
Pretty much my thought as well. My first game I as an Elite and just couldn't do shit do to all the Spartans picking at me while I had no long range weapon. Got better as I played more and it became more manageable. I still think Elites are a little underpowered.

Invasion slayer is awesome but not enough people vote for it, I think I've done it 3 times out of like 15 or 16 searches.

Pappasman

Invasion is fun only as a spartan. I was so disappointed the first time i played and we crushed the elites in the first round. It felt so pointless.

Just got rated, im gold!

4.png

feel

soldat7 said:
Hyperbole, etc. Some stuff needs fixing, not lots of stuff. .
When I said lots I was referring to the major problems but also to every tiny little UI/menu/gameplay/sound/text size/balance/visual/etc flaw in the beta. Maybe my memory is failing me, but I don't remember the beta for H3 (nor any other Halo related thing from Bungie) being this unpolished.

First wave Covie side really is miserable. Even if most the time the game does move on from that, it's just not fun.

The final wave is pretty great though.

Letters said:
When I said lots I was referring to the major problems but also to every tiny little UI/menu/gameplay/sound/text size/balance/visual/etc flaw in the beta. Maybe my memory is failing me, but I don't remember the beta for H3 (nor any other Halo related thing from Bungie) being this unpolished.

I don't remember Halo 3 beta being this bad, but who knows it HAS been a while. :D

A ton of things Bungie has already fixed though, so the list really isn't extremely long or un-doable. They have a couple months still.

Striker

I had no problem with the Inv/Needler and Plasma Repeater/Evade combos. You have to strategize and use teamwork to capture the initial point. Having cloaked Elites and a couple Plasma Repeaters crouch up the steps and bombard the top platform, you do the rest from there. Even if you die, you can still spawn on your teammate.

Teknoman

Invasion shots:

szeb1k.jpg

2lstsag.jpg

sy5zde.jpg

2yum15e.jpg

fav9ep.jpg

So much action when everyone is focused on the various ways to attack/defend objectives.

And the plasma repeater doesnt suck. Cloaking...well if you know when to use it, works out nicely. Especially if they are preoccupied with other enemies.

I havent quite caught up with the thread yet, still a few pages back so I'm not sure if this has been brought up. I have run into a few interesting glitches today in Invasion Slayer.

-I was playing as Elite on the last part of Invasion and the host quits. I spawn as an elite carrying an assault rifle and can use sprint... Which was really, really fast. :lol

-On a match of Invasion Slayer I played everyone spawned with assault rifles and no armor abilities.

-My first match I tried to "spawn on my bro co-op style" and I spawned inside of a wall.

So anyways, Invasion has been really fun.. and so many funny glitches. I'll get some videos up in my file share soon. Are these common or am I just managing to find the weird stuff? :lol

Demoncarnotaur said:
I havent quite caught up with the thread yet, still a few pages back so I'm not sure if this has been brought up. I have run into a few interesting glitches today in Invasion Slayer.

-I was playing as Elite on the last part of Invasion and the host quits. I spawn as an elite carrying an assault rifle and can use sprint... Which was really, really fast. :lol

-On a match of Invasion Slayer I played everyone spawned with assault rifles and no armor abilities.

-My first match I tried to "spawn on my bro co-op style" and I spawned inside of a wall.

So anyways, Invasion has been really fun.. and so many funny glitches. I'll get some videos up in my file share soon. Are these common or am I just managing to find the weird stuff? :lol

Damn you should have saved the film of the Elite with Sprint!

JohnIIVII

Here's a tip for those of you who haven't had the privilege of doing this yet: Do NOT spawn on your bro if he is flying a banshee around really high. :lol Bungie may want to look into a different spawn solution when your bro is piloting a banshee. (I guess there is always the option to just not spawn on him though lol)

Also, not sure if this has been explained yet, but what does the number on your star mean in the Arena?

GhaleonEB

Tashi0106 said:
I think we'll see just how the smallest changes make the biggest differences. I have faith.
Aye. I'm recalling the post release patches for Halo 2's melee and grenade damage, and Halo 3's simultaneous beat down patch. Neither were perfect, but both were good enough to dramatically improve the games, IMO. Given the very long list of stuff Bungie's already identified in the Beta, going from the update, I'm expecting the final game to be a much better experience (given the issues that I have, at least). Some of the core gameplay issues I have were mentioned, though not all, but tons of little things make it clear Bungie's sweating the small stuff.

What really worries me aren't the bugs and balance issues, but some really questionable big-ticket design issues, such as 1-Flag on Sword Base. The it's the most confined, narrow game of CTF I've ever played on any (Bungie-designed) Halo map. Two ways in, then a rush to the grav lift. There's several large-scale issues like that in the Beta that are just baffling to me (Powerhouse flag room design being another), and I hope they're not indicative of the shipping game.

Here's a few more I noticed tonight on Invasion. I want to point these out because I want to love Invasion very much, and I don't, and so I do this with love:

This railing is the exact height of a Spartan's line of sight.

reach_730215_Full.jpg

Meaning the entire space, which is otherwise an ideal firing position, is rendered almost worthless because you can't line up any shots. Back up a bit, and the next bar down blocks off the firing angle. I saw many people trying - myself included - to employ a variety of tactics from crouching to standing on it. It should be lowered or removed.

This is the view from the Core room exit to the pick up zone by the Phantom:

reach_732429_Full.jpg

It's a straight shot, no cover, from point A to point B. All great CTF games - and that's what the last part of Invasion is, 1-Flag - have multiple ways to take the flag. This does not. For that reason, I'm already bored with the third round of Invasion on Boneyard: it's a vehicular and explosive clusterfuck as the attackers try to inch the flag Core inch by inch in a straight line out in the open. No point going around the right side, since the spawn box has the doors blocked off.

Speaking of that spawn box, its existence is an indication of how unsuited that section of the map is to this gametype. I can't think of any other CTF map that puts spawn closet right next to the CTF cap point, reserved exclusively for the defenders (the doors are blocked off with a one-way barrier so it can't be entered). It has to be there, otherwise once the flag Core is out the door, it's game over. But that doesn't mean it makes for good gameplay.

Two examples.

Example one:

reach_732425_Full.jpg

Dudes jump out of the spawn box right in front of you. And they're given power weapons in the box to head you off with. The best way to address this is to place some people just outside the spawn box and have them blow up anyone who comes out, like this:

Rendered film example.

There, problem solved. And since that's the only defending spawn location that gives you a shot at stopping the attackers, it's an easy fix. Now it's a free run to the cap point, with the defenders either trapped or spawning too far away to do anything. It's a tedious, linear phase to a gametype that is on the surface clearly intended to be dynamic, with all its moving parts. It can be fixed with some relatively small changes - a different pick up location on the map, for instance, and that's why I wanted to point it out.

Also, the Wraith and the Scorpion unlock together, but they're not an even match. This was pretty much the extent of my only time driving the Wraith. I was chasing down some Bozo driving around on his lonesome in the Warthog. He crashes, I toast him. Mind you, I'd not run into a single armed enemy at this point, and had taken exactly zero fire from anything. My immaculately detailed, gorgeous Wraith was hitherto untouched.

Rendered film of instadeath.

Since they unlock in the same phase, I assume the Wraith and Scorpion are meant to square off. I'd at least like to survive the first shot so I can get one response shot back, or a chance to bail out, or something. :(

Zomo

JohnIIVII said:
Here's a tip for those of you who haven't had the privilege of doing this yet: Do NOT spawn on your bro if he is flying a banshee around really high. :lol Bungie may want to look into a different spawn solution when your bro is piloting a banshee. (I guess there is always the option to just not spawn on him though lol)

Also, not sure if this has been explained yet, but what does the number on your star mean in the Arena?
1 steel
2 bronze
3 silver
4 gold
5 onyx

I don't understand the hate. I love Invasion. I spent 5 straight hours just now playing it. I rarely ever play games more than 2 hours at once. Sure a few tweaks here and there would help but for the most part it's a blast.

I'm sure all the major problems with Invasion will be addressed in the next BWU, right Urk?

Letters said:

Halo 3 was more of an evolution of Halo 2. It really didn't change much and the gametypes were pretty much the same (aside from Forge and the Theatre, which were wonderful improvements.)

Reach is basically a re-imagining of Halo, so naturally you're going to see a lot more problems in a Beta in which they are trying to do a lot of new things as opposed to a game in which it's just an evolution.

What we should be worried about is how short this beta is. Is 2 weeks really enough time to find all the flaws and bugs in this game? I hope so.

Jex

Invasion Round One - try and avoid going out into the middle of the canyon and getting headshotted by spartans, so go up the only two flights of stairs and get shot there.

Invasion Final Round - Carry massive, slow item across exposed canyon and get headshotted/killed by Warthog/Sropion

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Screw people who boot for accidental betrayals. I was trying to blow up a ghost so the Elites wouldn't get it, I shot it a ton then after my team killed the enemies it blows up right next to a teammate. Betrayal, kicked.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Jexhius said:
Invasion Round One - try and avoid going out into the middle of the canyon and getting headshotted by spartans, so go up the only two flights of stairs and get shot there.

Invasion Final Round - Carry massive, slow item across exposed canyon and get headshotted/killed by Warthog/Sropion

:lol Pretty much sums it up well. I was afraid for Invasion because I thought the Elites would be hard to kill/slightly overpowered but after playing it, it feels like the Spartans have a huuuuge advantage as far as vantage points on the map.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
UltimaPooh said:
What we should be worried about is how short this beta is. Is 2 weeks really enough time to find all the flaws and bugs in this game? I hope so.

I think 2 weeks is just long enough and I believe that Bungie has made it only two weeks and not any longer because they know that they have a long way to go with Reach before completion.

I am loving the Beta right now and was really glad with what was addressed in the BWU. Even though more problems or complaints still exist it is obvious to see how ambitious of a project this is for Bungie, I have faith that once the Beta commences they will iron a lot out and in the end ship something that they are happy with and they believe the fans will be happy with as well.

Striker

AwesomeSyrup said:
I don't understand the hate. I love Invasion. I spent 5 straight hours just now playing it. I rarely ever play games more than 2 hours at once. Sure a few tweaks here and there would help but for the most part it's a blast.
I like it too, and of course some tweaks and changes here and there should be made. First game I had absolutely no clue what was going on, so our team (my spawn buddy and I got split from our original party) lost and the game was over quick. But overall, I've won playing as an Elite and felt no leeway in terms of feeling inferior in terms of loadouts or weapons, and won as a Spartan defending. It's just much better having players in there knowing what they're doing rather than randoms who play simple, mindless Slayer and do nothing to help the team gain advantage. INV Slayer was fun in the one game I got to try. We were Covenant and my partner and I (Covenant A) went +22 and found most success with a Needler Rifle in K/D ratio; those initial spawns on both Invasion and Slayer I felt were fine. No need at all to begin with a DMR or Needler Rifle. Speaking on that, it seems some people are unaware the Elites get the Needler Rifle at their first spawn, while the Spartans get a DMR. It isn't like Bungie gave the Spartans every long range weapon and gave the Elites squat.

The weapons all around were pretty solid. Only weapon I despise in Reach is the Plasma Launcher. Really is the "point-shoot-forget" weapon; makes the Rocket Launcher in Halo 2 a weapon needing to aim. I hope they remove the tracking on Infantry, and do something regarding the other tracking. Perhaps decrease it a tad, without going overboard and rendering it useless.

-

Really, really hoping for a "ranked" Spartans vs. Spartans BTB playlist. I really do not want Arena as our only "ranked" (i.e. taken seriously) competitive playlist in the final game. Did not enjoy Halo 3's Social variants thoroughly because of unmatched games of Generals vs. Commanders, for example, and an abundance of guests. Hoping for our classic style of Big Team, regular Slayer (combining stuff like Slayer Pro, Slayer, others), FFA and most assuredly Skirmish. Please. :(

I really hate Invasion so far. Boneyard sucks for vehicles, no room to even drive but that's no problem cause no vehicles survive the grenade onslaught long enough for you to even drive off. And I'm really hating the whole "Battle Bro" pairs. Why the hell is this even needed? We're all in the same team, just let me spawn close to any of my teammates.

I'm sticking with Arena and Standard.

Monocle

I'm glad Bungie is going to address grenade damage and quitters. Now if only they'd take seriously the complaints about Spartan movement speed and jump height. If there's a good reason to keep both as-is I'd very much like to hear it. I myself can think of no downside to boosting both by, say, 10% or so.

(Seriously, I want to know. Educate me, Bungie.)

soldat7 said:
This vid helped me a ton. I started getting kills with the pistol and DMR, and even lost a little bit of weight!
Great video. Thanks.

Prophet Steve said:
I call it Rape Rifle.
I call it the Sexual Coercion Cannon.

forcible penetration lol

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
-htownplaya- said:
I really hate Invasion so far. Boneyard sucks for vehicles, no room to even drive but that's no problem cause no vehicles survive the grenade onslaught long enough for you to even drive off. And I'm really hating the whole "Battle Bro" pairs. Why the hell is this even needed? We're all in the same team, just let me spawn close to any of my teammates.

I'm sticking with Arena and Standard.

The only thing that I really dislike about the "Battle Bro" pairs is how it breaks you up into groups of two on the scoring list when you hit the back button. It just looks odd to me and throws me off. :lol

Jex

So I decide that it might be cool to grab the Banshee in Invasion. I power it up, swing under the main bridge-section of the map and then I'm killed in under a second by a Scorpion. Great balance.

Two interesting glitches I found.

Somehow got free from an assassination. The guy continued to do the animation and so I just bashed him to death. :lol

Another one on Invasion; I kept re-spawning in the "Abyss". I couldn't switch spawn locations at all. The game wouldn't even let me "spawn on my bro". This was at the end of the match so I died about 5 times before the game ended.

I would spawn in the air, then fall to my death immediately. I can't remember if jetpacks were available or not.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Put me on the side that loves Invasion. The anti-vehicle weapons could be toned down to give vehicles more of a place, but other than that I'm loving it.

Jexhius said:
So I decide that it might be cool to grab the Banshee in Invasion. I power it up, swing under the main bridge-section of the map and then I'm killed in under a second by a Scorpion. Great balance.
What do you expect? I don't understand the argument.

squicken

-1 for Invasion

It just isn't fun. I love BTB. Love lots of vehicles and objectives. I love the idea of an Enemy Territories MP variant. It's poorly executed here, though.

Invasion Slayer isn't that great either. Mostly due to too large a map, unfun vehicle combat, and the manner in which rewards are doled out for securing the circle.

Actually, I just don't like the Elites. Don't like playing as them. Don't like shooting them. I feel that Spartan vs Spartan combat is sufficiently diverse with the new armor abilities.

Top Bottom