• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Zezboob

user_nat said:
So.. does anyone like Invasion?
I do.

It needs to be tweaked but it's cool.

I was expecting something closer to BFBC, but the result is ok. I am only disappointed by the fact you can only have squad of two players.

NG28 said:
From my experience, the elites usually always get to the 3rd round. If they can get the core out of the base and in the open, they usually always score. It's getting the core out of the base which is a bitch, and where spartans have the only real advantage.

Uhhh nooo, they do not usually win if the core is in the open due to the fact that the spartans spawn right next to drop off point and have a ton of power weapons.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
ManCannon said:
Not that it helps for the purposes of the beta but to reiterate - yes it's a bummer parties get split across teams and it isn't "by design." unfortunately a bug was identified at the root but its not something that can be hot fixed into the beta. You'll also play both offense and defense in the final game.

Also some very interesting internal discussions and findings today regarding headshots with precision weapons. I hope to be able to share details soon but the gist is that I think the end result will be a much welcomed tweak for the final game.

Thanks for clarifying and teasing headshots. :)

It's just a real bummer to be split since Invasion is an awesome gametype and we've been living with it since 07.

ManCannon said:
Not that it helps for the purposes of the beta but to reiterate - yes it's a bummer parties get split across teams and it isn't "by design." unfortunately a bug was identified at the root but its not something that can be hot fixed into the beta. You'll also play both offense and defense in the final game.

Also some very interesting internal discussions and findings today regarding headshots with precision weapons. I hope to be able to share details soon but the gist is that I think the end result will be a much welcomed tweak for the final game.

What is this I don't even

I mean is there a problem with hitboxes?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Played 4 games so far, we won as Elites once because I ran the core all the way for the win, and we almost lost as Spartans, beat them on the last part.

EazyB

Banned
ManCannon said:

?!?

Please make Halo fun again, Brian.

backflip10019 said:
I'm going to be providing periodic updates about Invasion and the stats of the games that I play. Thus far I have played 8 matches of Invasion. Spartans have won 8 times and Elites have won 0 times.

It's almost embarrassing that Bungie thought this was balanced.
Played 5 games starting as elites, won all 5 of them, get better at videogames.
:p

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Lastly, and all new for Reach, we have a new type of ban called a Quitter Ban. This is a relatively soft ban, so we will be using it quite aggressively, activating after only a handful of quits and lasting a rather long time. What does it do? A player with a Quitter Ban will be temporarily unable to re-enter Matchmaking for 15-30 minutes following any further quits.

Oh God yes.

Please make it happen only after just a couple, please.

Bungie, I love you guys...

Oozer3993

ManCannon said:

Consider my interest piqued.

Headshot weapons become 1000000 times more fun once you realize the proper cadence:

blamblamblamblam...blam

Seriously. Getting four shots off to the body to quickly kill shields, waiting for the reticule to shrink, taking the headshot... sooo much more satisfying than the BR "spam as fast as you can at the head."

Blueblur1

Hmmm... Reach. Anyone else not excited about the fall release after playing the Beta? I kind of feel like Ghaleon did a week ago. The game's kinda meh.

Yea i dont get while all of you guys are saying its ridiculously imbalanced. Yea elites should have slightly better loadouts but other than that its pretty balanced. Out of the 9 or so games i played spartans won 5 times and elites 4 times. Thats pretty blanced in my opinion.

ManCannon said:

Wow! I need to start this post off by saying GAF is certainly not meant to be viewed with a blackberry.. It has taken me nearly five minutes to get this reply to you set up.

Anyways, learning the inner workings of a video game has always fascinated me. So I was wondering if there was anyway you could elaborate on what the bug is that causes the parties to split. From my eyes it seems like an easy fix, which is obviously not the case.

Also in response to all the invasion hate... I only had a chance to play a few games before I had to head out to catch my plane, but the games I did play I enjoyed. With that said I agree invasion has the potential to be so much more then it is. I think with tweaked loadouts, an improved spawn system, vehicle changes and a few other tweaks it could be a lot of fun.

Guess we will see in september (updated invasion at PAX!?)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
People that join a game and are away the whole time should be banned too.

Also there are way too many power weapons, just got demolished as Spartans in Invasion slayer because 2 guys weren't playing and the Elites got all the power weapons and vehicles.

biosnake20 said:
Yea i dont get while all of you guys are saying its ridiculously imbalanced. Yea elites should have slightly better loadouts but other than that its pretty balanced. Out of the 9 or so games i played spartans won 5 times and elites 4 times. Thats pretty blanced in my opinion.

Elites also need another way in on the first stage. Games should only end on the first stage if the elites really, really suck, whereas now it usually ends there if the Spartans are even slightly coordinated, since there are only two entrances (the staircase on the left side doesn't count because it's essentially the same spot) to the ship and lots of Elites on the aft side of the ship get donged before they can even get within needle range.

Voltron64

Blueblur1 said:
Hmmm... Reach. Anyone else not excited about the fall release after playing the Beta? I kind of feel like Ghaleon did a week ago. The game's kinda meh.
Not as hyped as I was before the beta. :(

Kuroyume

Banned
I also don't want people spawning on me. I crouch walk to catch the Spartans off guard and my moron teammate spawns on me and runs right in shooting everything in sight.

Kuroyume said:
I also don't want people spawning on me. I crouch walk to catch the Spartans off guard and my moron teammate spawns on me and runs right in shooting everything in sight.

I find these situations tend to be outweighed by the times I get instant backup in a firefight.

Blueblur1

Voltron64 said:
Not as hyped as I was before the beta. :(
Maybe you have the same feeling I have. I feel like they're making 'Call of Halo' due to a lot of the small changes they've implemented. The only time I really enjoy the game is during Covie Slayer when it actually feels like Halo 2 and 3. The rest of the time it feels like something I'm not really interested in. I find myself wanting all the sweet new weapons and features in the Halo 3 engine and/or gameplay style.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I've been playing the BETA but I never posted any actual impressions and I'm still not going to do that but I did want to comment on some things:

(1) The newest BWU is awesome. Those fixes will definitely help. A lot.

(2) The netcode is awesome (originally, I thought this would be the one to need the most improvement because it was the BETA but that's not the case).

(3) Overall, I like the new direction taken with Halo. With the fixes that should come as a result of Beta, I can definitely see Reach being the new multiplayer game for me.

I also think part of the problem is mixing the glitched, unbalanced portions of the game with the new design Reach is taking. They are not one and the same, but because this is a slightly different experience it may be easy to think that some of the stuff that will get fixed is actually part of the design itself.

Blueblur1 said:
Maybe you have the same feeling I have. I feel like they're making 'Call of Halo' due to a lot of the small changes they've implemented. The only time I really enjoy the game is during Covie Slayer when it actually feels like Halo 2 and 3. The rest of the time it feels like something I'm not really interested in.

Anyone saying Call of Halo has never actually played Call of Duty. It plays NOTHING like Call of Duty :lol

Blueblur1

Thagomizer said:
Anyone saying Call of Halo has never actually played Call of Duty. It plays NOTHING like Call of Duty :lol
I've played CoD. Reach feels more like a slow military shooter than it does Halo. When I play Halo I expect to be able to drive fast smooth-handling vehicles, be able to jump over other players and walk faster than an octogenarian.

kylej

Banned
Blueblur1 said:
I've played CoD. Reach feels more like a slow military shooter than it does Halo. When I play Halo I expect to be able to drive fast, smooth-handling vehicles, be able to jump over other players and walk faster than an octogenarian.

Use Sprint.

MrDaravon

Blueblur1 said:
I use Sprint 99% of the time. In fact, it's attributing to the "Call of Halo" feel.

This. To be clear, I don't have any problem with Reach not "feeling" like Halo like a lot of people do; I've played a fuckton of CoD (I think I'm a 5th prestige in MW2?). I don't know that I would say Reach plays more like CoD than Halo 3, but it goes way further in the CoD directly than in the Halo 3 direction, or at least I can see why people feel that way.

Blueblur1

SailorDaravon said:
This. To be clear, I don't have any problem with Reach not "feeling" like Halo like a lot of people do; I've played a fuckton of CoD (I think I'm a 5th prestige in MW2?). I don't know that I would say Reach plays more like CoD than Halo 3, but it goes way further in the CoD directly than in the Halo 3 direction, or at least I can see why people feel that way.
Yep. And just to make it clear to everyone: I fucking hate CoD. If Reach is truly going to lean in that direction then I'm not really interested.

kylej

Banned
To each their own. I like Reach the more I play it. Would I prefer H3 style Halo? Yeah, but I'm willing to sacrifice it for hitscan weapons + sprint. It all comes down to the maps and playlists for me.

This beta is fucking terrible and this is coming one of the biggest Halo fans. I have bought everything Bungie has released but it is clear they just half-assed this. I played with four friends and we barely got through 2 games without getting bored out of our minds.

Striker

kylej said:
To each their own. I like Reach the more I play it. Would I prefer H3 style Halo? Yeah, but I'm willing to sacrifice it for hitscan weapons + sprint. It all comes down to the maps and playlists for me.
Indeed. Hoping they can bring out the big bucks.

Trickster

ManCannon said:

So you gonna make 'em 4 shot weapons after all huh? :p

Blueblur1 said:
I've played CoD. Reach feels more like a slow military shooter than it does Halo. When I play Halo I expect to be able to drive fast smooth-handling vehicles, be able to jump over other players and walk faster than an octogenarian.

How is call of duty a slow shooter to you? People are sprinting all over the place and gunning you down in ½ a second.

kylej said:

The beta needed 2 flag spartans vs spartans, sprint only, on a gulch style map, then I would be happy.

DanielPlainview said:
This beta is fucking terrible and this is coming one of the biggest Halo fans. I have bought everything Bungie has released but it is clear they just half-assed this. I played with four friends and we barely got through 2 games without getting bored out of our minds.

How it is "clear that they half-assed this?"

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
riceandbeans said:
I'm hating the matchmaking right now. Either I'm on an awesome team that decimates the competition or on a team of losers who can't play at all. My 5+ losses in a row speak for themself :lol Only had one tight match. Had one guy running his mouth off telling the team how badly they suck when he has 4 kills compared to my 18 by the end of the match. We went on to lose the match 47-50 because of him.

As much as I hate to say it (as I'm generally not a "DURR HURR RANKED" person), make the matchmaking find by "skill." It may take a few minutes longer (*mumble grumble "server browser" mumble grumble*), but I have had some close games. Then again, I have also had games where I totally steam roll the other team (with assists to/from my teammates). It's a crap shoot, but I feel it's better than "fast" matchmaking.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Why does playing as Elites in Invasion feel like playing as an oversized Spartan? You really don't feel like you have more health when you get killed just as quick (seemingly).

Trickster

Killer said:
People calling this game Call of Halo?

smh.

Yeah I don't get it either. I mean, sure, Bungie has changed reach to be a bit less like a normal halo game, but it's still very much halo.

The best way I can think of to illustrate what I mean is by making a compare-o-meter.

Call of Duty 4|--------------------------------------------------------O---| Halo 3

Reach is the O if anyone didn't realize.

CoD and Reach have a few similarities like loadouts, loads of unlockable stuff and sprint. But those are really the only things of the top of my head that remind me of a Call of Duty game at this stage.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Blueblur1 said:
Maybe you have the same feeling I have. I feel like they're making 'Call of Halo' due to a lot of the small changes they've implemented. The only time I really enjoy the game is during Covie Slayer when it actually feels like Halo 2 and 3. The rest of the time it feels like something I'm not really interested in. I find myself wanting all the sweet new weapons and features in the Halo 3 engine and/or gameplay style.

Reach plays absolutely nothing like Call of Duty. Stop it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Blueblur1 said:

Well, maybe they'll have "no load out" featured in custom games to where you can have your "Halo 2/3" style games with new maps/weapons + forge? Surely Bungie wouldn't be crazy to exclude that? (*knock on wood, look at Urk/Mancannon?*)

However: Reach doesn't play like Call of Duty. My main issue is the grenades and slightly more effort it takes to kill someone. And sometimes I pop their shield, and suddenly they pop mine and kill me even if I had the drop on them. ARGH.

Alucrid

Banned
Deadly Cyclone said:
Why does playing as Elites in Invasion feel like playing as an oversized Spartan? You really don't feel like you have more health when you get killed just as quick (seemingly).

Recharging health, roll, and faster movement are all pluses in my book.

Dirtbag

Blueblur1 said:

My hype has been reset, and will take time to build up again.
I'm looking forward to the campaign.

soldat7

Blueblur1 said:

Nope, just the opposite. This feels like Bungie's best multiplayer game. I can't wait for HaloGAF to go back to Halo 3 and lament the loss of the beta.

big ander

Dirtbag said:
I'm about here also.
The campaign seems like it will still play awesomely, and the story itself should be excellent.

I'm not as excited for it as I was for Halo 2 or Halo 3's campaign, but maybe that's a good thing. Some checked expectations may make the campaign seem super awesome.

But so far in the multiplayer, I haven't had that "30 seconds of fun." Everytime I start to have fun, I think of all the stuff I've also hated that match. Half the time I'm thinking about how I'd rather be playing Halo 3, to be honest.

But I don't think Reach is Call of Halo. It doesn't feel like COD to me at all. It takes way longer to kill someone and the gunplay is still so much more varied. I think the main problems right now are motion and melee. Melee sounds like it's being fixed enough. But Spartans should have a bit higher jump, at least. I forget who posted this a while ago, but I see people try little jumps over and over that I feel like we should make. Examples: from "under the yellow thingers" up to "bacon spawn/stockpile flag spawn." "Giant ass drain" to "ramp near bath house." These jumps look like they would be easy and necessary in Halo 3. But they can't be done without the perfect timing and crouching. It's not as fun, to me.

GhaleonEB

I've been trying to keep an open mind about Invasion and Invasion Slayer, especially since my initial scathing view of the game softened considerably after a few days. But both are just fatally flawed in the current implementation. Both are mostly fixable via many of the variables Bungie can tweak, such as load outs, and given how exhaustive the fix it list is already, I'm hopeful it will be much better at ship. That said, in the interest of feedback, some quick hits:

Ground vehicles are hopelessly outclassed by the avalanche of anti-vehicle measures. Rockets, lasers, plasma grenades, plasma pistols, armor lock, the plasma launcher and worst of all, the grenade launcher which can be chosen as part of a load out. Grenades and EMP bursts for all! And to compensate, the vehicles are nerfed with an overheating turret.

Invasion Slayer's weapon drops are kind of comical: they've gifts to the opposing team. The pattern throughout the games seems to be the team that gets a territory does so by the skin of their teeth, barely surviving the hail of grenades that comes down on the territory. And then the other team cleans up the stragglers, the fallen dudes spawn a long ways away, and the other team get away from the goods. It's a preferential strategy not to go for them until the other team does. That is, unless one is so far away you can't get to them. I tried to head off a drop from the moment it went active, but it took over 25 seconds - and three sprints - to get there a moment too late.

As has been mentioned, the map is way too big for 6v6 combat. Lots and lots of superfluous open spaces and winding routes inside that don't go somewhere useful.

The new system of dumping all the power weapons in one area - the rack with two rockets, two lasers, two snipers - only encourages randoms to grab two of each and head off with them as soon as they can. Play with a disciplined party, or they'll go to waste. I know it's a bug in the Beta, but since the party splits, that means the rack gets cleaned out and wasted before the third round every time. A method of spawning a few in each round would really help out.

And the starting round of Invasion really is unfair to the Elites. Spartans spawn with pistols and DMRs, they get needlers and plasma pistols over very long range; can't even engage the Spartans with either starting load out. Sure there's a few needle rifles scattered around, but they're less effective and too few; plus, they've got to be hunted down and you're exposed doing so.

One last thing. There are some weapons that just shouldn't be part of a load out. Off hand, swords, shotguns and grenade launchers. Especially on the last round of Invasion, it's easy for the Spartans to all be rocking shotguns or swords, and grenade launchers. When defending a tight indoors area with what have traditionally been close quarters power weapons in the hands of everyone on the team, the attackers are at a distinct disadvantage. Good grief we destroyed the Elites, a symphony of exploding grenades and shotgun blasts as they came through the doors. Got some nice double kills, myself.

As a huge fan of Halo 3's BTB (over 70% of all my matchmaking games), this was far and away my most anticipated part of the Beta. And it's a complete mess right now.
Dirtbag said:
And Firefight. Don't forget about Firefight. <3

There's bound to be a subset of Reach's MP that I latch on to and enjoy, as I did with Halo 3's BTB. It's just not in the Beta.

Top Bottom