• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Oozer3993

CrazedArabMan said:
Not that hard considering spartans kinda spawn right their next to it.

That last minute included swatting down 2 jetpack-wielding players right over the spot, and a miraculous killing of an Elite who dropped out of a Banshee right on top of the platform. It was tense, and a blast.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Popeck said:
You gotta love the air-to-air, Elite on Spartan assassination animation =P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlrNT4ewnho

That's fucking bad-ass.

Also, after playing some more Invasion. I do have some complaints. The loadouts are a little janky. In the opening of Invasion Slayer, the game favors pretty heavily for the Spartans. If you have two teams of equal skill playing against each other the Spartans have the advantage due to the Magnum secondary. It's such a large map, why not just open up the first 2 loadouts that have ranged weapons? I like the weapon drop zones because they focus the battles on such a large map. You would think that 6v6 on that map you wouldn't find anyone to kill but it works. DMR and Needle Rifles off the start would make it glorious. I'm also having a better time with the Needle Rifle. It's not the piece of shit I thought it was. It has a great range and accuracy. The DMR still trumps it though. I fucking love that gun.

Pro pipe and vehicles don't mix. Vehicles are almost a death trap. Especially when I'm driving. I drove a warthog right off the fucking map today hahahaha.

I think for Invasion Objective there should be more Needle Rifles laid out for the Elites at their spawn. It's a bit of a shit fest without it. Also, trying to remove the core from that room is fucking insanely hard. We had a 12 man GAF party, you know, people who knew what they were doing. The instant I would drop down for the core, I'd get shit on by multiple shotguns
FUCK YOU TRASHER <3
Shotty beats sword.

Overall though, I'm having a lot of fun with it. Especially slayer...
as a Spartan hahaha

Willeth

Oozer3993 said:
After my initial displeasure, I am loving Invasion. Despite the big initial advantage the Spartans have, only once have I been in a game where it didn't go the full time. And that was the 1 time it put all of us GAFfers on the same team. Most of the games have ended with the core out in the open. And then there was the one time this happened:

rlkwhg.jpg

We Spartans won the game, holding them off from touching it, while it was in the zone, for the last minute of the game. :D
We had a string of games where we got a skunt (seriously, someone explain what the fuck) three times in a row.

Wizpig

Teknoman said:
Invasion slayer isnt that great, but the regular Invasion objective style is awesome.
It's the other way around =P

This map needs some fixin' (slowdowns when there are like 3 veichles and some nades -- also we experienced some lag, but maybe in the next days the servers will be less hammered :)) but that's a beta for you.
I like it.

YES @ the quitter ban!!

Teknoman

Wizpig said:
It's the other way around =P

This map needs some fixin' (slowdowns when there are like 3 veichles and some nades -- also we experienced some lag, but maybe in the next days the servers will be less hammered :)) but that's a beta for you.
I like it.

YES @ the quitter ban!!

I dunno...Invasion slayer just seems to not focus on what makes Invasion sound so great. Escalating weapon loadouts, vehicle types, and objectives until the big showdown, not just wide area territories.

MrDaravon

While we mentioned earlier on Bungie.net that full squads of six would remain glued together, it’s actually set to distribute squad’s fireteams on both sides of the ball. As long as you go in with an even number, you can expect to play alongside at least one of your bros, but you might make note that it’s entirely possible for a squad of four or six to end up squaring off against each other after their distinct fireteams are selected and split up across Boneyard.

This definitively breaks Invasion for me, and as Invasion is the main thing I'm interested in the Beta for. Despite the bullshit that it's only 6v6, you're telling me I can't go in with 5 buddies and be on the same team? Are you fucking kidding me? I've got friends who were waiting for Invasion to go live before even really playing the Beta, if we start getting split up it's getting dropped like a bad habit, and that's not even counting all the other things that are (apparently) broken about Invasion, at least if the internet is to be believed.

I reserve final judgment until I get some Invasion time in tonight, but I am literally a broken, broken man. For 90% of the people I play with, all we want is 8 player BTB, and not only do we not get that, we're probably going to get split up. Fucking. Lame.

Bitching aside, just about everything else in the BWU is fucking fantastic, but the fact that people are essentially taking Bungie's word for the things that have been "fixed" for the next 4 months is probably going to cause some to have skepticism until the final product launches, which is never good.

Will certainly play more over the week but right now the more I play invasion the more turned off I am for it. I think the slow spawning (even though I heard the beeps and my bro was not in battle) or maybe the vehicles being super shit or super strong, I would prefer to see it with only ghosts and warthogs I think. And the spartan shotgun class sucks, no sprint? DMR for me is hard to use not because of the recoil but I have trouble keeping my target under fire, need practice, but I love the nerfle.

Invasion Slayer IMO is the best mode, shame it doesn't sometimes play on the first half of the map though, it gets ignored too much.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Hey You said:
I dislike Invasion slayer. I just wanna play Invasion.

I'm the opposite.

IF ONLY WE HAD A SERVER BROWSER INSTEAD OF BEING FORCED INTO GAMES WE DON'T LIKE. *siiiiigh* Bungie, I curse the day you brought Matchmaking into the world. :(

Sanic

I don't know, I guess Invasion is just alright, kind of like the rest of the beta for me at this point. Maybe i'm just burned out. I just feel like my indiference is channeling the developer's. The game seems to lack character and energy. Just my opinion, of course.

Lazslo

Good games tonight dani, vh and grim. Invasion is really fun to mess around in and not take it to seriously. Invasion passed the roommate test tonight. My roommates were really digging Invasion Slayer. Now I'm going to watch the Yankees dong all over the Red Sox's, Believe.

SailorDaravon said:
I reserve final judgment until I get some Invasion time in tonight, but I am literally a broken, broken man. For 90% of the people I play with, all we want is 8 player BTB, and not only do we not get that, we're probably going to get split up. Fucking. Lame.
It keeps you in groups of two, and if you bring in twelve people (which you can do), you're set.

Get on now.

Teknoman

Diablohead said:
Will certainly play more over the week but right now the more I play invasion the more turned off I am for it. I think the slow spawning (even though I heard the beeps and my bro was not in battle) or maybe the vehicles being super shit or super strong, I would prefer to see it with only ghosts and warthogs I think. And the spartan shotgun class sucks, no sprint? DMR for me is hard to use not because of the recoil but I have trouble keeping my target under fire, need practice, but I love the nerfle.

Invasion Slayer IMO is the best mode, shame it doesn't sometimes play on the first half of the map though, it gets ignored too much.

The shotgun class with armor lock works nice since its really made for defending, not sprint shotgunning.

MrDaravon

Shake Appeal said:
It keeps you in groups of two, and if you bring in twelve people (which you can do), you're set.

Get on now.

Yeah, because I'm ALWAYS rolling in groups of 12, fucking please. Also I've gone into this before, and I'm probably just weird, but I don't really like playing in all friends games; it's the reason I don't really participate in the Halo 3 customs nights. I mean it's fine if you've got a few too many people or something, but not with any consistency. I like the feeling of going in with a full team and win or lose, struggling with all your friends to beat the other team, those motherfuckers! I guess I like rallying against the common foe, I dunno. Also it NEVER fucking balances full groups right, one team almost always destroys the other, which I've already had happen way too much in the Beta (on both ends).

I'll be on in like 30.

Teknoman

SailorDaravon said:
Yeah, because I'm ALWAYS rolling in groups of 12, fucking please. Also I've gone into this before, and I'm probably just weird, but I don't really like playing in all friends games; it's the reason I don't really participate in the Halo 3 customs nights. I mean it's fine if you've got a few too many people or something, but not with any consistency. I like the feeling of going in with a full team and win or lose, struggling with all your friends to beat the other team, those motherfuckers! I guess I like rallying against the common foe, I dunno. Also it NEVER fucking balances full groups right, one team almost always destroys the other, which I've already had happen way too much in the Beta (on both ends).

I'll be on in like 30.

I think its because some people never mess with matchmaking options (skill option for one).

Dirtbag

Marrshu said:
I'm starting to think I'm the only person in this thread who genuinely enjoys the game as a whole, FFA Oddball aside. :lol

Or you have no eye for criticism. Its an enjoyable game, but its an inconsistent experience that has proven to be just as frustrating as it is satisfying for many of us.
I want to love it, I'm settling for just liking it right now.
There are so many different parts of a halo game, so its impossible to think they will all cater to one person's tastes.

Proven

SailorDaravon said:

I'll be on in like 30.
I'm same. Luckily I dont have a consistent group to play with so getting a dingle shouldn't be too hard

Oh and for the record the bloom is tons better for the DMR if you crouch, I never notice a difference with the pistol but the DMR improved a hell of a lot.

Dirtbag said:
Or you have no eye for criticism. Its an enjoyable game, but its an inconsistent experience that has proven to be just as frustrating as it is satisfying for many of us.
There are so many different parts of a halo game, so its impossible to think they will all cater to one person's tastes.

Exactly, its not a matter of hating it or loving it, theres a lot of grey area. I love many aspects of it, but also have my fair share of grievances. Its nice to see that a lot of my 'problems' have already been fixed, long before I discovered them.

Wizman use Y (change weapons button).

Diablohead said:
Oh and for the record the bloom is tons better for the DMR if you crouch, I never notice a difference with the pistol but the DMR improved a hell of a lot.

=( - gross +1

Rapture

I've enjoyed both versions of Invasion, though i feel like the last part for the elites is too hard, there were Spartans in the wings with sniper rifles, DMRs and, the spartan lazer making the last few feet insanely difficult.

also i didn't realize how much of a difference it was going to make being so much larger then a spartan, not only can they hit me easier, but its harder for me to hide and i'm looking down half the time to see them scurrying around my feet hahaha.

Dirtbag said:
There are so many different parts of a halo game, so its impossible to think they will all cater
to one person's tastes.

Took the words right out of my mouth, it also seems to be that the people who have some of the toughest criticisms is normal HaloGAF... or so it seems to me, (I would include myself as well into that group of normals with much criticism.)

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
CrazedArabMan said:
Took the words right out of my mouth, it also seems to be that the people who have some of the toughest criticisms is normal HaloGAF... or so it seems to me, (I would include myself as well into that group of normals with much criticism.)

Considering some of the trolling that has labelled most HaloGAF regulars as the "Bungie Defence Force", most of the regulars have been quite upfront about their criticisms both positive and especially negative.

I honestly can't name a single person (well, maybe =P) that has ignored any grievances they have or shied away from being vocal on any issues that have affected them during the beta.

Is Reach, in Beta form, perfect? Hell no. Will the shipped version be perfect? Hell no. We're all fans and despite how polarising some of the issues that have cropped up are, we're all still willing to put them aside for them time being. It is just a beta after all.

In honesty though, I don't think anyone here could have predicted the various reactions we've all had. I think most of us went into this beta with certain expectations and we're dealing with the reality that the game isn't exactly what we'd thought it was going to be.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Holy shit, yes.

10 Killstreak/Killing Frenzy on death. That's a first for me in Halo. I barely get Killing Sprees. Hell, anything above Double Kills. :lol

Going to put that video in my file share. Too bad I won't be able to keep it in the retail. :(

Looking at the video I'm like "what the hell am I thinking?" because my aim is way way off on some people, yet I still kill them in the end. :lol

Also, Bungie: If you guys haven't fixed it yet. Making a screenshot and going back to the video seems to lose the HUD for the player + video. The menu will still phase/in out on command but the names of the players and stuff is gone. :/

CrazedArabMan said:

Yeah it seems that way to me also, it seems like there was a huge influx of people when the beta came out, and the HaloGaf regulars are getting basically getting drowned out. =(

I really hope a lot of the people stick around, and dont just migrate to the next game.

Dani said:
Considering some of the trolling that has labelled most HaloGAF regulars as the "Bungie Defence Force", most of the regulars have been quite upfront about their criticisms both positive and especially negative.

I honestly can't name a single person (well, maybe =P) that has ignored any grievances they have or shied away from being vocal on any issues that have affected them during the beta.

Is Reach, in Beta form, perfect? Hell no. Will the shipped version be perfect? Hell no. We're all fans and despite how polarising some of the issues that have cropped up are, we're all still willing to put them aside for them time being. It is just a beta after all.

In honesty though, I don't think anyone here could have predicted the various reactions we've all had. I think most of us went into this beta with certain expectations and we're dealing with the reality that the game isn't exactly what we'd thought it was going to be.

As a huge Halo fan, I feel that airing my opinion is important, maybe... just maybe it will make a difference. Clearly I dont think my opinion should matter, especially as im just 1 Halo fan out of a sea of millions, but if enough people air the same opinion, and Bungie find through stats and testing that theyre right, well thats awesome.

I dont know if im HaloGaf, but ive been around for a while and its annoying to see the regulars who have really good opinions being drowned out. A lot of people seem to be getting doubted and given advice which makes me laugh. When im complaining about a core concept, its not because im 'bad', its because im thinking about the gameplay. HaloGaf regulars have been playing Halo for 10 years.

EazyB

Banned
I'm surprised most of the people that dig Reach's garbage in the other playlists are disliking this more than I am. Maybe it's just lower expectations because Invasion always looked like a glorified match of Territories and 1-flag to me. Anyways, Trasher and I played 6 quick matches and I had more fun with it than with anything else in the beta. The first 5 we were covie every single time but despite the disadvantage we won each match. I say disadvantage because against equally-skilled players the covie side would get destroyed due to some of the gametype choices. Our last game when we were finally spartans ended up 3v6 but we still managed to fend them off :lol

Things I don't like about it:
  • Covie loadouts blow: no long range at the beginning, shotty vs sword, grenade launcher vs... needler?, ghost vs warthog, wraith vs scorpian, and more.
  • As I predicted, vehicles are death traps, the only one I think is balanced properly is the tank but I don't have enough games under my belt to say that for certain.
  • The spawning system seems borderline broken. Incredibly inconsistent.

I just hope they iron out the party splitting thing then I'll spend the vast majority of my time in there destroying terrible players. I may think Reach is poop when playing competitively but destroying players that are worse than you is still just as fun.

Haven't got a chance to read the BWU but I like what I read about the quitter ban. I hope they really are liberal about its use.

Alright. Never again will I post impressions about a gametype after like, one game. :lol

First off, I think phase one of Invasion is pretty satisfactory as it stands now but could use some tweaks here and there. I don't too much of a problem with the loadouts the Elites spawn with in phase one. I get over to where the Spartans defending pretty well, but I do notice when I play as Spartans, it must be pretty frustrating for some players who get killed by the DMR when all they have is a Needler or a Plasma Repeater.

Speaking of loadouts, there are some pretty weird design decisions for Invasion. Sword starts, for one, as this allows a significant number of players to pick up the weapon and use it without having to fear not being able to pick it up again. Pro pipe starts is another decision that makes me scratch my head. Allowing players to spawn with a weapon that's pretty damn effective at rendering vehicles immobile really hurts the vehicle gameplay (there are a lot of other factors that contribute to this, though).

My biggest concern, and disappointment, of Invasion stems from vehicles. Maybe it's because I haven't had enough time to learn the intricacies of the new health system for the vehicles, or maybe I have yet to get used to it, but as of now, I don't like this new system that separates a vehicle's health from the player's. For one, it's difficult to tell how damaged the vehicle is, and how close to it is exploding, without having some sort of health bar or less subtle signs. The system employed in Halo 2 and 3 was much easier to understand, and from what I've experienced, a lot more fun.

Looking past that, there are simply far too many anti-vehicle means in the game, and so now vehicles are closer to death traps than in either Halo 2 or 3. Okay, so we have: the plasma pistol (don't have a problem with it), the plasma launcher (its tracking is far too great), the rocket launcher, the pro pipe, the sticky grenade, and the spartan laser. Bungie has done a considerable job of tightening up the sandbox when it comes to infantry, but for vehicles, they have a lot of extra baggage to clear out. There's really no need for the spartan laser, or the plasma launcher, as it is now, at this point. Honestly, the only anti-vehicle weapons that this game needs are the plasma pistol, the rockets, the pro pipe, and the sticky grenade. Of course, they'd have to be integrated differently: The pro pipe, for instance, is something that should be fought for, not something you should spawn with. I think the plasma launcher would be a much, much better weapon than it currently is if the tracking were removed.

I think most of vehicles are satisfying to use sans the Warthog and the Ghost. Both seem to have lost something and gained nothing from Halo 3. The Ghost lacks the punch, I feel, it had in Halo 3, and the overheat meter for the Warthog's turret is quite an unnecessary addition that only leads to frustration and an ineffective vehicle.

Invasion Slayer has its own set of vehicle problems. A lot of the time, probably a majority of the time, every single vehicle is destroyed in a matter of seconds because many players on either team are concerned over controlling the spot the vehicle will spawn in. This, of course, leads to lots of grenade spam and lots of fire being exchanged. The vehicle gets caught in the crossfire, and nobody really gets anything.

In summary, Invasion right now is okay, but it can be so much more.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
EazyB said:
I'm surprised most of the people that dig Reach's garbage in the other playlists are disliking this more than I am. Maybe it's just lower expectations because Invasion always looked like a glorified match of Territories and 1-flag to me. Anyways, Trasher and I played 6 quick matches and I had more fun with it than with anything else in the beta. The first 5 we were covie every single time but despite the disadvantage we won each match. I say disadvantage because against equally-skilled players the covie side would get destroyed due to some of the gametype choices. Our last game when we were finally spartans ended up 3v6 but we still managed to fend them off :lol

Things I don't like about it:
  • Covie loadouts blow: no long range at the beginning, shotty vs sword, grenade launcher vs... needler?, ghost vs warthog, wraith vs scorpian, and more.
  • As I predicted, vehicles are death traps, the only one I think is balanced properly is the tank but I don't have enough games under my belt to say that for certain.
  • The spawning system seems borderline broken. Incredibly inconsistent.

I just hope they iron out the party splitting thing then I'll spend the vast majority of my time in there destroying terrible players. I may think Reach is poop when playing competitively but destroying players that are worse than you is still just as fun.

Haven't got a chance to read the BWU but I like what I read about the quitter ban. I hope they really are liberal about its use.

Yeah, aside from the Elites' inferior Loadouts and constant party splitting, I'd say it's a great gametype. I'm pretty much indifferent about the vehicles, though. I just let everyone else take 'em. I did destroy a Banshee and Ghost with a Pistol in my first couple games of Invasion, though. :lol

Here's to hoping for classic Spartan vs Spartan BTB in the final game!

My only problems with Invasion are the long spawn times and the loadouts. A little tweaking which I know the final game will get should fix everything.

Top Bottom