• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

REV 09 said:
They change the AR perk from sprint to AL in tier 2 or 3.

I need to check but I swear that it says or said AL and then becomes sprint without any progression on the map or with kills, with the bugs invasion has currently I would not be surprised if it's just another bug.

Raide

REV 09 said:
They change the AR perk from sprint to AL in tier 2 or 3.

Tier 2 I think. Makes it easier for Spartans to defend against the Onslaught of Elites with Swords. :D The only problem is if Spartans get swords with AL, it becomes really hard for the Elites to break through if the Core is still inside.

Mad Max

Offtopic, but has anyone here been receiving wierd ass messages on bungie.net like this?

Holla,

i was goin' round for some cool gamers, and I hit your profile. U seem to be a pretty noticeable hombre, but I'm pretty new at this site, and don't know my way around here. Can't they have some sort of chat thing here?? i hate sending msgs to ppl, and potentially not getting an answer. Anyways, if you feel like chattin' with me, you can catch me over at find-a-friend.org?id=5315&profile=LovelyRanzie , my name there is LovelyRanzie.

So, ya, hope to see you there. always looking to meet more people.
Genie Chillis

:lol

Raide

Mad Max said:
Offtopic, but has anyone here been receiving wierd ass messages on bungie.net like this?

:lol

Yes, I deleted them all. I had 3 and it was from different people, yet the message was exactly the same. Obviously some annoying Phishing attempt.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
LOVING INVASION mode by far the best new addition to the series. However one thing Im still seeing in Halo is everyone jumping 24/7 and throwing grenades..

How about we make the jump feature use some of your endurance.. Lets get a little more skill involved in the game than just random jumping ans tossing of grenades..

Dorfdad said:
LOVING INVASION mode by far the best new addition to the series. However one thing Im still seeing in Halo is everyone jumping 24/7 and throwing grenades..

How about we make the jump feature use some of your endurance.. Lets get a little more skill involved in the game than just random jumping ans tossing of grenades..

Yeah because killing Halo's signature movement is a good thing! Oh I know, lets also make it so crouching makes your weapons more accurate, that always works well in realistic shooters...... oh wait. =(

Gui_PT

bobs99 ... said:
Yeah because killing Halo's signature movement is a good thing! Oh I know, lets also make it so crouching makes your weapons more accurate, that always works well in realistic shooters...... oh wait. =(

Hey, let's make the damage more realistic! 1 shot in the leg and you can't run! 1 in the arm and you can't shoot!

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Wow some of you are clearly are defensive. The fact of the matter is Im not asking for Halo to become Modern Warfare however if you have played any Halo games online you know that jumping 24/7 is a problem (Unless your one of those people your who disagree) and also not very realistic at all if you want that type of game.

Im not saying remove jumping, just make it not available every 2 steps!! I played against people who never walked just jumped the entire game it's ridiculous.

The game would be better served to all old and new fans if you just made on generic endurance meter that was shared for sprinting, cloaking, jetpacking, Jumping etc.. when you use any move above the standard run (or walk I should say!) that some of your meter is used and will recharge over time.

Now players have to have some skill and changes the dynamic of gameplay some as well. Both good things in my book.

Raide

Roche178 said:
I know! Lets all get on GAF and whine about everything!

Sounds like a plan!

Regarding Invasion, anyone else think that the Elite's starting point should have a some of those Covenant blast shields placed around? Mainly to make it easier for those people who cannot use Camo correctly. :lol

Gui_PT said:
Hey, let's make the damage more realistic! 1 shot in the leg and you can't run! 1 in the arm and you can't shoot!

Im ashamed to admit I would love that, seeing 'damage systems' like that would be awesome, getting hit in the face by a plasma pistol should make my HuD go all fuzzy!
Please note I realize this would make gameplay suck :lol

Dorfdad said:
Wow some of you are clearly are defensive. The fact of the matter is Im not asking for Halo to become Modern Warfare however if you have played any Halo games online you know that jumping 24/7 is a problem and also not very realistic at all if you want that type of game.

Im not saying remove jumping, just make it not available every 2 steps!! I played against people who never walked just jumped the entire game it's ridiculous.

The game would be better served to all old and new fans if you just made on generic endurance meter that was shared for sprinting, cloaking, jetpacking, Jumping etc.. when you use any move above the standard run (or walk I should say!) that some of your meter is used and will recharge over time.

Now players have to have some skill and changes the dynamic of gameplay some as well. Both good things in my book.

This is HaloGaf, we have been playing Halo for close to 10 years. I havent noticed constant jumping to be an issue, because quite frankly the players who do it are asking to be shot in the head by a Sniper :lol

Your 2 posts make it seem like you dont play Halo much, or dislike it but your now loving Reach? I have a few friends who share that sentiment, and I hate how the loss of core Halo gameplay seems to please the non-Halo fans more than the Halo fans.

Sorry if I came across as scathing, I didnt mean any personal offence, and your idea is good, but doesnt suit Halo in my opinion.

Raide

bobs99 ... said:
Im ashamed to admit I would love that, seeing 'damage systems' like that would be awesome, getting hit in the face by a plasma pistol should make my HuD go all fuzzy!

Actually there is a slight distortion of the HUD when you take damage but yeah, Plasma Pistolling people would be annoying if it shut you down. :D

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Just finished catching up updating the Friend's List for the HaloGAF beta gamertag. There is still plenty of room for more folks so feel free to add it

GT: HALOGABETA3

(all caps!)

Am I the only person that dislikes sprint? Not being able to shoot while sprinting makes it less useful imo. Plus, keeping track of where you are on a map and using smart positioning can negate the need to sprint out of sticky situations. The only benefit I see using sprint is having the hammer, sword or shotgun, where it would be beneficial to close distances fast, or I guess getting power weapons quicker. However, I don't generally rely on power weapons, nor race to be the first person to pick one up at the beginning of a match (neglecting objective games at least). But I've had trouble going in for quick melees. Usually the sprint carries me past the person that I'm trying to melee, leaving me in a bad position to get assassinated or double melee'd first.

I find it highly humorous that I was the most skeptical about jetpacks and now jetpacks are my favorite thing in the world.

Dani said:
Just finished catching up updating the Friend's List for the HaloGAF beta gamertag. There is still plenty of room for more folks so feel free to add it

GT: HALOGABETA3

(all caps!)
Hmm. I thought I was friends with the halogafbeta or halogafbeta2 gamertag, but the other day I looked and didn't see it. I may need to add the new one if so.

I think with the way that reach has it's weapons setup I prefer to play Arena more then invasion and the rest is middle ground, The new weapon damage works great for arena IMO but invasion has way too many power weapons and weak vehicles, again I ask why does a scorpion tank 1-hit a wraith? it's a cluster fuck of failure. Why do we still have a splazer when there are 6 other ways to disable a vehicle? why can we still snipe with a splazer? why does the pro pipe have emp effects and not work like a brute shot instead?

Also annoying is when you spawn for wave 2 and see two rocket launcher and two snipers on the rack, some idiot grabs a rocket launcher and then runs to the other for it's ammo, taking it away because then it becomes empty, oh look now we have one rocket launcher! and the dude dies by running out into the field. Same with sniper you can steal the ammo for yourself. imba.

zumphry

Banned
Gui_PT said:
Didn't know my mom liked sodomizing little boys

Hiyoooo

Anyone looks like a little boy compared to your mom's age, which is like a fine wine.

Wait wat :lol

bobs99 ... said:

Going back to the newest Halo Mythbusters episode, the one myth of charged Plasma Pistol shots taking down armor abilities would be a pretty cool option to have. Wouldn't want to have it in every gametype, but as a custom games option would be awesome.

Monocle

Dorfdad said:
Wow some of you are clearly are defensive. The fact of the matter is Im not asking for Halo to become Modern Warfare however if you have played any Halo games online you know that jumping 24/7 is a problem (Unless your one of those people your who disagree) and also not very realistic at all if you want that type of game.

NO.

Chittagong

Gold Member
F***!

Here I am, bottle of Coke and blanket, prepared for an afternoon of Invasion in Halo Reach beta. Game boots fine and I get all the way to the countdown - then... DISC ERROR. Dirty Disc.

So I install Halo ODST on my hard disc. Booting up the beta again. Everything goes fine until match is just about to start... DISC ERROR.

Grab bag works just fine.

REV 09 said:
Slayer classic is the best mode in the game.
If I enjoyed using sprint even just a little bit, I might be able to agree with you. But I have grown too fond of the jetpack. I think slayer pro and classic should give you the choice between the jetpack and sprint. Just my own opinion though :D

Dorfdad

Gold Member
bobs99 ... said:
This is HaloGaf, we have been playing Halo for close to 10 years. I havent noticed constant jumping to be an issue, because quite frankly the players who do it are asking to be shot in the head by a Sniper :lol

Your 2 posts make it seem like you dont play Halo much, or dislike it but your now loving Reach? I have a few friends who share that sentiment, and I hate how the loss of core Halo gameplay seems to please the non-Halo fans more than the Halo fans.

Sorry if I came across as scathing, I didnt mean any personal offence, and your idea is good, but doesnt suit Halo in my opinion.

Close on some points.. Yes I used to play a ton of halo back in the Days of Halo 2 Halo 3 just didnt do it for me. I played and found the game very frustrating, slow, and when I played Jumping was the NORM. I played for a few mnths got bored and left.

I grabbed the Halo Reach Beta to see what it would be like. I love Battle Field Bad Company, and have a love / Hate relationship with Modern Warfare 2. PLaying HALO just feels dated to me. Thats just my opinion.

I love the inclusion of the sprinting, jetpacks, and more bringing the game more inline with newer games. However Im not sure what the point of the upgrades are are these basically perks? Add some chest armor and you can take x more damage?

Also the one thing I hate is I spent a long time tweaking and customizing my character only to never see them represented in online gameplay! There has to be a way we can look unique while still being able to identify ourselves! Isn't the Red or Blue name above us enough to identify ones self?

I want to see my enemy in the purple suit!! I want to be able to track his sorry ass down and assassinate him from behind.

Dani said:

GT: HALOGAFBETA3

(all caps!)

Fixed, and caps don't matter when you add a friend right?

Monocle

Chittagong said:
F***!

Here I am, bottle of Coke and blanket, prepared for an afternoon of Invasion in Halo Reach beta. Game boots fine and I get all the way to the countdown - then... DISC ERROR. Dirty Disc.

So I install Halo ODST on my hard disc. Booting up the beta again. Everything goes fine until match is just about to start... DISC ERROR.

Grab bag works just fine.
Replug all your cords. My console had a persistent disk reading issue and it turned out the power cable was slightly loose. I almost lost my mind and bought a new 360 in anticipation of the beta before I figured out the real problem.

Dorfdad said:
Close on some points.. Yes I used to play a ton of halo back in the Days of Halo 2 Halo 3 just didnt do it for me. I played and found the game very frustrating, slow, and when I played Jumping was the NORM. I played for a few mnths got bored and left.

I grabbed the Halo Reach Beta to see what it would be like. I love Battle Field Bad Company, and have a love / Hate relationship with Modern Warfare 2. PLaying HALO just feels dated to me. Thats just my opinion.

I love the inclusion of the sprinting, jetpacks, and more bringing the game more inline with newer games. However Im not sure what the point of the upgrades are are these basically perks? Add some chest armor and you can take x more damage?

Also the one thing I hate is I spent a long time tweaking and customizing my character only to never see them represented in online gameplay! There has to be a way we can look unique while still being able to identify ourselves! Isn't the Red or Blue name above us enough to identify ones self?

I want to see my enemy in the purple suit!! I want to be able to track his sorry ass down and assassinate him from behind.

As much as I mostly disagree with you on gameplay stuff, aesthetically your right, but I put that down to this being a beta, im sure with the final game everyone will have theyre own 'look'. P.S. Visual customization is purely aeshetic, it changes nothing gameplay wise. Armour customization works better in Halo 3 at the moment by the way, you really can get a feel for who everyone is, I reckon Reach will pull this off with the full game.

As for Halo feeling dated, thats your opinion after playing newer games. I have stuck with Halo despite newer games because I prefer its feel - modernizing Halo to attempt to claw fans away from more modern games is probably the smart thing to do, but it may backfire and cause the Halo fans to just not bother with it. After all theres a reason why 3 years from release thousands of people still play Halo 3, if they havent been lured away by Gears or CoD or Battlefield then they probably jsut really love Halo.

Jex

Spartans shouldn't have legs, they should have wheels. This will solve the jumping problem, and the vehicle/health problem. Plus it would finally feel like a real, modern game because the spartans wouldn't be so slow!

Raide

Jexhius said:
Spartans shouldn't have legs, they should have wheels. This will solve the jumping problem, and the vehicle/health problem. Plus it would finally feel like a real, modern game because the spartans wouldn't be so slow!

I heard they might employ slave Grunts to carry them around.

So, after taking a short hiatus from the beta, I gave Invasion a shot last night with some friends. Wow, yet another awful gametype. It plays like a second-thought mod. Can't believe the map manages to be both too big and too cramped. That's a feat. It's like bungie played bad company or tf2 and said, "yeah, we can do that too without changing the dynamic of our game at all!" NO! It's hard enough for Dice or Valve (two companies that completely out class bungie) to balance a game like this when their game was exclusively built around an "invasion-style" gametype. You just can't throw the pieces together and expect it to be magic. Bungie, you've been off more than you can chew here. At best, Invasion just plays like an uninspired 1 team king of the hill with awful unfair spawns and an oversized map. I'll tell you one thing it doesn't play like - the preview videos of invasion from a few months ago.

Not sure why I expected Invasion not to suck. So far, headhunter, juggernaut, 1 flag ctf, crazy king of the hill, stockpile and oddball play like god awful mods thrown into maps and said "good enough." There's not a single FFA gametype that doesn't amount to a cluster-eff within 15 seconds. Not a fun cluster eff either, but a slow, opportunist's driven and tiring one.

Oh well, see you guys next friday.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
bobs99 ... said:
As much as I mostly disagree with you on gameplay stuff, aesthetically your right, but I put that down to this being a beta, im sure with the final game everyone will have theyre own 'look'. P.S. Visual customization is purely aeshetic, it changes nothing gameplay wise.

As for Halo feeling dated, thats your opinion after playing newer games. I have stuck with Halo despite newer games because I prefer its feel - modernizing Halo to attempt to claw fans away from more modern games is probably the smart thing to do, but it may backfire and cause the Halo fans to just not bother with it.

Agree but there are thing they can do to maintain the same HALO fans and get new fans as well. Specifically with the Gameplay modes and filter settings. However the matchmaking system sucks and is balls ass slow.

I know this is a Beta and this thread is about the beta so Im stating my opinion. Not that anyone cares but im on record with my thoughts..

The Beta is a fun diversion right now till I get Red Dead Redemption :)

One thing they need to improve and Im sure will get a shitstorm of screw you's is the graphics. Now I understand this is a BETA and usually they tone things down, but for the most part the look is not on par with anything newer on the PS3. I expect that to change though some once they tweak it up and get closer to release it looks slightly nicer than Halo3 does right now which is ok for a BETA

/Logs off due to incoming F-YOU Graphics are awesome and 360 rules posts..

Schmitty

I think Invasion needs longer rounds. Sometimes it just feels too easy as Spartans, especially during the core round when Spartans can have shotguns inside the building.

Invasion slayer also seems empty in a way. There needs to be more vehicle carnage going on. Instead of only 1 territory, there should be like 2 or 3.

Both modes need 8v8. 6 is not enough

Forge 2.0 will save us I hope, we can make some full halogaf parties and then work out some awesome balances and layouts for invasion. While flying around the map in a theatre video there are ledges on the covie start side that are unused, you could easily have a sniper battle between the rocky ledge and the unsc ship the spartans spawn in.

In reply to the poster above me, if vehicles didn't blow up after being spat on they would play a much bigger role too and that would help.

So, after taking a short hiatus from the beta, I gave Invasion a shot last night with some friends. Wow, yet another awful gametype. It plays like a second-thought mod. Can't believe the map manages to be both too big and too cramped. That's a feat. It's like bungie played bad company or tf2 and said, "yeah, we can do that too without changing the dynamic of our game at all!" NO! It's hard enough for Dice or Valve (two companies that completely out class bungie) to balance a game like this when their game was exclusively built around an "invasion-style" gametype. You just can't throw the pieces together and expect it to be magic. Bungie, you've been off more than you can chew here. At best, Invasion just plays like an uninspired 1 team king of the hill with awful unfair spawns and an oversized map. I'll tell you one thing it doesn't play like - the preview videos of invasion from a few months ago - an exciting war like game mode that's rough and tough. Haha. Not exactly.

Not sure why I expected Invasion not to suck. So far, headhunter, juggernaut, 1 flag ctf, crazy king of the hill, stockpile and oddball play like god awful mods thrown into maps and said "good enough." There's not a single FFA gametype that doesn't amount to a cluster-eff within 15 seconds. Not a fun cluster eff either, but a slow, opportunist's driven and tiring one.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Diablohead said:
Forge 2.0 will save us I hope, we can make some full halogaf parties and then work out some awesome balances and layouts for invasion. While flying around the map in a theatre video there are ledges on the covie start side that are unused, you could easily have a sniper battle between the rocky ledge and the unsc ship the spartans spawn in.

In reply to the poster above me, if vehicles didn't blow up after being spat on they would play a much bigger role too and that would help.

I really hope we can edit everything in Forge 2.0, Invasion, Firefight, traditional MP and everything in all those modes; territory locations, goal locations, loadouts, round times, etc.

Mr. B Natural said:
So, after taking a short hiatus from the beta, I gave Invasion a shot last night with some friends. Wow, yet another awful gametype. It plays like a second-thought mod. Can't believe the map manages to be both too big and too cramped. That's a feat. It's like bungie played bad company or tf2 and said, "yeah, we can do that too without changing the dynamic of our game at all!" NO! It's hard enough for Dice or Valve (two companies that completely out class bungie) to balance a game like this when their game was exclusively built around an "invasion-style" gametype. You just can't throw the pieces together and expect it to be magic. Bungie, you've been off more than you can chew here. At best, Invasion just plays like an uninspired 1 team king of the hill with awful unfair spawns and an oversized map. I'll tell you one thing it doesn't play like - the preview videos of invasion from a few months ago - an exciting war like game mode that's rough and tough. Haha. Not exactly.

You realize Bungie wernt trying to copy bad company or tf2 with Invasion right? Its really theyre own take on a BTB Aliens invading Humans scenario, I actually think Invasion has the potential to be really good with some tooling up of loadouts.

Eric WK

bobs99 ... said:
You realize Bungie wernt trying to copy bad company or tf2 with Invasion right? Its really theyre own take on a BTB Aliens invading Humans scenario, I actually think Invasion has the potential to be really good with some tooling up of loadouts.

It doesn't matter if they were trying to mimic those games or not. In light of how those two games do objective modes, Invasion is a pile of dung.

Dani said:
I really hope we can edit everything in Forge 2.0, Invasion, Firefight, traditional MP and everything in all those modes; territory locations, goal locations, loadouts, round times, etc.
Aye yes I hope to soo, a few extra tasks or capture points for Invasion would work well, make more use of the ship interior and areas of the map which are untouched currently. Also balance.

Dirtbag

I guess after playing Invasion I realize why the covenant glassed Reach instead of occupying it....
Because the elites get donged

Monocle

Voltron64 said:
Not as hyped as I was before the beta. :(
Same here. I feel like in Reach I'm witnessing Halo's death by degrees. Bungie is monkeying with things that didn't need changing—jump height, movement speed, weapon and melee behavior—fundamental aspects of Halo's gameplay. I'm totally on board with additions like armor abilities, the gameplay differences between Spartans and Elites, and the fantastic new weapons (the Pro Pipe is rapturous). I can accept tweaks like the grenades' new damage scheme (if not the amount of damage they inflict), the loss of dual wielding, and the omission of weapons that were redundant or ineffective in Halo 3. None of this changes my opinion that Reach very nearly feels like a game from a different series.

I don't understand how anyone could go from Halo 3 to Reach and say, "Yep, this all feels just right." Was the Halo 3 beta such a radical departure from Halo 2?

Jexhius said:
Bungie, hire this scholarly gentleman.

Invasion should add 4 minutes onto the time remaining when you complete an objective as opposed to setting it 4 minutes. Spartans have way too much of an advantage at the moment.

Walshicus

Okay, has anyone ever defended invasion round 2? Because it seems unbalanced as fuck...

Also, what's the deal with splitting up a party of four going into invasion?? That should be the absolute *last* option for getting a game going.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Monocle said:
Replug all your cords. My console had a persistent disk reading issue and it turned out the power cable was slightly loose. I almost lost my mind and bought a new 360 in anticipation of the beta before I figured out the real problem.

This one is something bizarre. I can play Grab Bag for ages, just did some 5 matches without any errors, but any time I choose Invasion and I'm about to begin on Boneyard it gives me a Dirty Disc Error. Its as if something on Boneyard was broken on my Xbox.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
played several hours of invasion last night, i rather like it. slayer is a blast, but straight up invasion can be painful with a shit team.

and am i the only person just completely horrible with the propipe? thing is basically useless in my hands, i rarely get kills unless its against a vehicle. halp.

Top Bottom