• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 2 confirmed, Game Informer info, Trailer released

spats

Nice hype train img JardeL. :lol

One of my favourite things about lbp was that you could tack pretty much anything on your sackboy. Best way to do this was to have a friend help you: for instance if you wanted to attach bunny ears from the popit, you could have a friend attach them while you were turning your sackboy's head with the sixaxis. I wish they've expanded on this and added lots of stuff into the popit material library.

YYZ

This is a large thread so please forgive me if it's been covered, but is there an option to change gravity levels? I searched the first page and the next few and couldn't find anything.

jiggles

Banned
YYZ said:
This is a large thread so please forgive me if it's been covered, but is there an option to change gravity levels? I searched the first page and the next few and couldn't find anything.

2liealk.png

:D

YYZ

Oh god yes, that's literally the only thing I care about. But the other stuff is nice :D

Can't wait to see what you guys have planned. A LittleBigDudebro?

RagnarokX

gofreak said:
TTP, I think, asked earlier about an apparent back-flip.

Is it a consequence of the new bounce pads?

2ypng5i.png

I think bouncing on these turns Sackboy into a little gymnast...
From the official site: "We’ve crammed in a whole bunch of new things for Sackboy to play around with, including a swell Grappling Hook, and nifty Bounce-pads for springy-flippy action.

IIRC from the trailer, they also flip after swinging into the air with the grappling hook.

Although my 10 year-old brother still plays LBP on a daily basis, I burned out on it really fast. Never expected to buy the sequel, but that trailer was so awesome it got me hyped. MM, I've got high hopes for LBP2, don't disappoint me!

Tiagomnh said:
Although my 10 year-old brother still plays LBP on a daily basis, I burned out on it really fast.

Same, partly because I was never much of a creator.

I'm liking that they're moving the emphasis away from it just being a platformer though.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I got my copy of Edge. There's actually a number of subtle but interesting revelations in there not yet reported, AFAIK. I'll just list them in no particular order of importance:

- "We've made a couple of tiny tweaks but there won't be anything instantly obvious", says Healey re. Sackboy's default controls

- Music for 'Tower of Woop' level is Deodato's rendition of Richard Strauss' Also Sprach Zarathustra

- Sackbots can be set to avoid danger, enabled (or disabled) to switch planes and jump, or be afraid of heights...all ways of binding them to specific areas.

- Edge says it's possible to spawn 20 or 30 sackbots in a level.

- Evans explains some changes more generally regarding thermometer "We're trying to allow a lot more of everything but it will crucially be a lot more balanced. Before you'd hit your switch limit and you'd be done because it had a limit. Now we trade memory and CPU - lots of sackbots are fine, you just have to skimp elsewhere."

- To answer a question I had about Sackbot behaviour, sackbots can have one behaviour set...

- ... or on a more intermediate level can be set to switch between preset behaviours e.g. benignly patrols until player nears, whereupon they can electrify and chase after them...

- ... or on a more advanced level can be controlled by microchips which house existing types of logic, and new types of gadget to ease creation of common electronic processes.

- Two of these new gadgets are mentioned: a randomiser ("I hope no one gets annoyed with the random gadget", says Healey. "People have spent ages making their random devices and now its a single object.")

- The other gadget suggested at in a picture caption is a gadget for 'control tweaks'; see below for a bit more on that, one suggested later seems to be a momentum control gadget.

- The disco scene uses the randomiser; 3 cameras with different properties and transitions are hooked up to a randomiser, leading to a pulsing series of shots. Camera transition options include cross-fade and zoom-fade.

- Matchmaking now tries to match you with players with similar taste in levels based on your stream etc.

- Someone asked if 'burning' would look better; it's one of a number of improvements they've made in the rendering. Evans says "Play the Darkness story level - same content, but fuck me it looks different" With the transparency changes they cannot guarantee 100% that all levels that use exploits will work properly.

- You can wire multiple sackbots/direct-seats to one controller if you want ("some to tilt, some to thumbsticks if you want"). Or multiple controllers to one sackbot.

- Some of the direct-seat vehicles Healey's made include a flying robot chicken with feet from which he's programmed sackbots to hang; a hairy caterpillar (the one viewed from top-down) that grows when it eats score bubbles, Snake-style; and the metallic fly with the laser gun.

- You can finesse handling as you wish; Edge notes that the fly handles with 'beautifully damped inertia'. Evans says "There are things you can attach to control momentum".

- You can limit the amount of time a player spends in a direct-seat, count the number of attempts made. Edge asks if a direct-seat controlled sackbot can enter a direct-seat. MM says they haven't tested that 'but yeah...'.

- Another camera option, for cutscenes, seems to be 'fade audio'.

- Browsing levels now seems to be via a list...when a level is highlighted, the creator's moon is shown in the background.

- They suggest that a class of player will emerge that everyone will want to follow in their stream...people with a knack of highlighting and finding great content. They say these people will be rewarded with 'community points'.

- You know those 'other new gadgets' MM won't reveal yet? Edge says it spied perhaps two of them in the pop-it: 'Magic Glove' and 'Bag'. I think I know what the latter does, at least... :)

- New filters added include x-ray, and 'vectorise' (e.g asteroids style outlines) These can be applied locally, to specific areas.

Annnnnd...that's it, I think.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
gofreak said:
- Sackbots can be set to avoid danger, enabled (or disabled) to switch planes and jump, or be afraid of heights...all ways of binding them to specific areas.

There goes another LBP1 complain :)

Pancho

Qurupancho
Mm has literally heard every complaint ever =O. Seems they addressed just about every complaint they had with the 1st, this game is officially unhatable.
Although, I can't fathom how one person can dislike the 1st one, but that's just me :3

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DMPrince said:
as long as they don't jump from one plane to another if the planes are the same height.

I'm guessing it's an absolute rule. No switching, period.

Also, to amend one thing, the 'filters' aren't global...you can apply them locally over specific areas. They give the example of making an arcade cabinet, and then putting the vectorise filter over the TV screen in it or what not.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
gofreak said:
I'm guessing it's an absolute rule. No switching, period.

Also, to amend one thing, the 'filters' aren't global...you can apply them locally over specific areas. They give the example of making an arcade cabinet, and then putting the vectorise filter over the TV screen in it or what not.

Goddamit gofreak stop it. Seriously. I can't wear pants anymore since the last couple of days. And can't piss properly either.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Better start practicing now to be somewhat good at making levels by the time LBP2 rolls around. I've made some but I got long ways to go to do stuff like I've seen around in the LBP community.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So... I'm gonna guess 'Bag' is an inventory.

Put objects in the bag, forget about them, take them out later.

So no need to drag a 'key' around a whole level anymore, for example.

Can't really use pop-it...since you don't wanna give general object-spawning capability while playing levels, in the same way stickers are allowed. Enter 'Bag'.

I could be totally wrong though.

spats

the game is constantly looking out with the PlayStation Eye for QR codes. And if you hold a QR code of a level up, it will take you to that level. Hold up the QR code of a creator, it will take you to that creator’s stuff. So the awesome thing is, you can imagine print magazines or ads for DLC. Or even blogs on your phone -- you’re going through, and it’s like, “Oh, this guy really likes this level. Here’s the QR code. I’ll just hold it up to the PlayStation Eye.” Bang, I’m in the level.

That's so cool. This alone almost makes the pseye a worthwhile addon.

http://g4tv.com/games/ps3/63750/littlebigplanet-2/articles/70759/LittleBigPlanet-2-Interview-Alex-Evans/

gofreak said:
So... I'm gonna guess 'Bag' is an inventory.

Put objects in the bag, forget about them, take them out later.

So no need to drag a 'key' around a whole level anymore, for example.

Can't really use pop-it...since you don't wanna give general object-spawning capability while playing levels, in the same way stickers are allowed. Enter 'Bag'.

I could be totally wrong though.
sounds like a good guess. especially for RPG style game where you want multiple key items in one location. that way you can put it in the bag and switch plane to use it!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Pancho said:
What about the Magic Glove, gofreak? Any theories of what it might be?

No idea. They didn't get to see either of these things, they just noted them from the pop-it during the presentation.

Magic Glove could mean anything I guess...

Pancho

Qurupancho
Pancho said:
What has me very curious is how flexible is the make-your-own-HUD thing, would be interesting if you could put pictures on it to make little character portraits of the players that are playing.

How much does a Qore episode cost? And I forget that psn updates tuesdays now.:lol
haven't bought one in a long time. but one of these prices. $2.99, $3.99, $4.99

EDIT: it's $2.99

Dragnet

Could Magic Glove have anything to do with the Move controller? When it was demonstrated they used it to move stuff around in the environment..could be something like that, equip the glove to be able to manipulate the environment around you.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Dragnet said:
Could Magic Glove have anything to do with the Move controller? When it was demonstrated they used it to move stuff around in the environment..could be something like that, equip the glove to be able to manipulate the environment around you.

Maybe... it could possibly tie in to RTS stuff too... Maybe you control a disembodied gloved hand or something.

But it really could be one of many things, so don't wanna get my hopes up about one or other particular possibility :p

netguy503 said:
DMP....it looked like Veronica was using the new in-game voice feature at the end, didn't it?:D
maybe OR just voice chatting with herself like you could do in LBP1? ;P guess we'll find out in 4
hours!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
netguy503 said:
DMP....it looked like Veronica was using the new in-game voice feature at the end, didn't it?:D

"New in-game voice feature"...? Are you talkig about recording your own sounds and putting them into the game, or have I missed something?

Sackboys moving their mouths as you speak into your headset was in the first game as well.

beast786

Majic glove will be something a creator can use as a level up reward.

Ability to move objects (big objects), Change material etc etc

netguy503

DMPrince said:
maybe OR just voice chatting with herself like you could do in LBP1? ;P guess we'll find out in 4
hours!

I dunno.....there HAD to be some significance to that as they held that shot for awhile.
Or maybe I'm just over thinking this as I'm WAY too excited!:D

netguy503

RoadHazard said:
"New in-game voice feature"...? Are you talkig about recording your own sounds and putting them into the game, or have I missed something?

Sackboys moving their mouths as you speak into your headset was in the first game as well.

I dunno...but if it is the lip sync to your voice even is way better than I remember in LBP1.

Confidence Man said:
I hope to god they don't keep things locked in the level creator until you go through all the tutorials. That was such a pain in the ass.
but it was so rewarding when you got 100% item!

netguy503 said:
I dunno...but if it is the lip sync to your voice even is way better than I remember in LBP1.

could have reedited it to fit perfectly ;P

Have they mentioned if they're going to add the jpeg upload feature that they scrapped from the first? I think they had said they would patch it in but never did :/

netguy503

Confidence Man said:
I hope to god they don't keep things locked in the level creator until you go through all the tutorials. That was such a pain in the ass.

No...that was an awesome trophy to get but I liked all the beginning stuff including being locked out of online at the beginning of the game and all the game narration/videos, which I hope they all keep in, so maybe I'm just weird like that.:D

gofreak said:
- You can wire multiple sackbots/direct-seats to one controller if you want ("some to tilt, some to thumbsticks if you want"). Or multiple controllers to one sackbot.

- You can limit the amount of time a player spends in a direct-seat, count the number of attempts made. Edge asks if a direct-seat controlled sackbot can enter a direct-seat. MM says they haven't tested that 'but yeah...'.

- Browsing levels now seems to be via a list...when a level is highlighted, the creator's moon is shown in the background.

- You know those 'other new gadgets' MM won't reveal yet? Edge says it spied perhaps two of them in the pop-it: 'Magic Glove' and 'Bag'. I think I know what the latter does, at least... :)

Thanks so much for that. These are the features that blew me off when reading it!

pistolpete2940 said:
Have they mentioned if they're going to add the jpeg upload feature that they scrapped from the first? I think they had said they would patch it in but never did :/

Nope, so don't expect it... i guess

Top Bottom