• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sources: Media Molecule to layoff 15-20% of staff

GLHF sources say UK game developer Media Molecule plans a round of layoffs with around 20 jobs being on the chopping block. Targeting a headcount of 115 employees, this is a significant reduction from the roughly 135-strong workforce. Employees were informed about this in an internal meeting today, on October 24, 2023.
Founded in 2006, Media Molecule was acquired by Sony in 2010, becoming part of PlayStation Studios. It’s best known for developing the LittleBigPlanet series, a puzzle platformer with a big emphasis on content created by its users. The original LittleBigPlanet, released in 2008, won several awards and was likely the catalyst for Sony seeking to integrate the studio fully into its own operations. The company had already helped kickstart Media Molecule with initial funding after being presented with a prototype of its first game.
sackboy-sad-1.webp

In 2020, the studio released Dreams, a sandbox game with extensive game creation tools for users. Dreams allows players to make some pretty impressive games by themselves, but it seems like this recipe wasn’t leading to financial success. Back in April 2023, Media Molecule announced that it would stop supporting Dreams starting in September 2023.

Media Molecule is currently developing a new game, though other than the project not being in any way related to Dreams nothing certain is known about it.
This bad news comes a day after Sony triumphantly announced that Insomniac Games’ Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 was the fastest-selling first-party launch in PlayStation history. Fellow UK studios Frontier and Creative Assembly are currently undergoing restructuring with job losses as well.

Last edited:

Tsaki

Pity, though I'm surprised Sony has been so lenient with them. Studios have been closed for more than MM has achieved the past decade. It seems every studio has to pull their own weight and not hope for others to support them financially.

Mowcno

Not surprising really. They haven't had big success since LittleBigPlanet 2. They've basically just done Tearaway in 2013 and Dreams in 2020. Neither remotely close to the success of lbp.

While dreams is very cool I think it was a mistake to devote that much time and resources to it. I mean there's 7 years between the release of Tearaway and Dreams.

Last edited:

RyRy93

That’s a shame, they make interesting games but they don’t always cater to the mainstream and have weak IPs

AlphaDump

Gold Member
A talented studio that lost their focus with keeping Dreams on life support. They need to reshift their focus to be more like Housemarque and do more bite sized vertical slice arcade type games.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
They have 135 employees? WTF!

Unless they get their act right, Media Molecule will have to be shut down, and this money needs to be funded in a better way.

They better start acting like a studio of 100+ developers and give us proper kickass games that are in line with the standards set by PlayStation Studios.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
This is what I (and many others) expected when Jaffe talked about bad news.
Also not unexpected. They haven't delivered much in years, even the Japanese studios look productive by comparison.
But is this even bad news?

Media Molecule has been sucking money and not producing anything for some time now. If Sony were to use this money to fund other games, we'd have gotten 1-2 extra games this generation by now.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I figured we'd hear about a studio closure by now, so this is good news, comparatively. Their next project is probably make or break for the studio.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Look at little big planet they were aggressive with the creativity with dreams they broke that down and it was a mistake.
Sad Give Up GIF by PlayStation

Killjoy-NL

I don't see why people say Dreams "bombed". It's not like it was a game or anything.

But I can see why a studio like MM will see layoffs. They're a talented studio, but not exactly one that produces AAA-titles.

Ozriel

M$FT
Then what's it about?

Because Dreams is basically a game-engine.

It’s a game + game creator. Like arguing Mario Maker isn’t a game.

Dreams absolutely made me feel like 40% of media molecule is huffing their own farts like that episode of South Park.

This feels like an unfair characterization. It might have underwhelmed commercially, but as a product it was nothing short of brilliant.

Blame Sony for not putting it on PC to try to capture some of the education market etc. though perhaps I’m looking at things too simplistically and they might have had metrics to show it wouldn’t have done well on PC.

I just think there’s a wider market for stuff like that on PC.

Last edited:

CobraAB

Sorry to hear this. I loved the first 2 Little Big Planet games. Nephews and nieces loved them too.

But it seems like Dreams just never quite caught on though it was a pretty cool idea.

Yes, it needed to be on PC.

Has there been any chatter what they have been working on?

acm2000

studio was very much a one trick pony but they were at least trying something different even if ultimately its not something many people actually really wanted.

im sure like all the people involved in the industry job cuts will find new homes.

Killjoy-NL

It’s a game + game creator. Like arguing Mario Maker isn’t a game.
I can't comment on Mario Maker, but Dreams isn't a game.

Whatever MM made for the "sp-campaign" was more tech-demo for Dreams' capabilities than anything.

But it's irrelevant, because at the end of the day, Sony is a company that needs revenue and something like Dreams isn't going to cut it.

Dreams was a cool project but it wasn't the answer for MM2 as a game studio first. If only they had ported Dreams to PC or turned it into a platform for games and tools beyond the PS ecosystem, then it could easily have gained some ground with things like Fortnite and Roblox.

I thought they'd close down.

They've lost most of their founders and their last released game Dreams (2020) didn't perform well nor did LBP3 (2014) before it. That's nearly 10 years of lackluster performance.

I do think if Dreams had the right model it could have found more success. Should have been F2P.

Top Bottom