• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: NX to Feature PS4 -style Split D-Pad and Share Button

Oregano

At this point we will know everything about the console before Nintenedo even announces it lol

Except what games are being made for it.;_;

As others have said thought these changes make a lot of sense if they want to have two detachable controllers for stuff like Mario,Smash,etc.

Really it all comes down to how these buttons feel to use and Nintendo is usually very good about that.

The most interesting thing IMO is that Nintendo do has often seemed reluctant to appear to be copying other companies which clashes with this. Maybe they'll design more in line with their competitors in other aspects.

Anybody else find it funny how these leaks almost feel "planned"? Like one leak and then a few more tidbits another day. Then another small thing or two a couple days after? Why isn't it all being leaked the same time?

Oregano

I also agree that the Foxconn guy mentioning a PSP-like device is more plausibly NX if it really features a split d-pad.

What I love is how people thinks Nintendo shouldn't stop using their D-pads. It's like a trademark.

Yet IMO the last Nintendo D-pad we got was on the GameCube, and we barely used the D-pad since the N64. The Wiimote had something different enough, but at least it felt good enough. And then the Wii U happened and it had the worst D-pad...

And never had problems with DualShock 4's D-pad.

There's the Virtual Console problem then, but honestly... there's no reason they can't allow more controllers in other ways.

I'm absolutely loving all the NX rumors. PS4 has the best d-pad (for my uses) I haven't really focused on a Nintendo home console and always wished they'd do a "super" upgrade to the 3DS. As long as there is no "Need to be plugged in to dock for this feature/game", I'm day one.

Taker666

Btw. DS4 d-pad isn't split in 4 parts. It looks like it but it's still one 'thing' covered by the controller surface in the middle.

The NX d-pad must be split if it's intended to replicate buttons for a second player (unless they can create a mechanism that allows for it to act as both a solid d-pad and separate buttons)). With a solid d-pad it would be impossible to press separate buttons to run & jump or jump & shoot ...you need the buttons split as a solid pad can only register one direction at a time.

Peterc

Damn,

the most bad control function i ever experienced was the splitted DPAD on psx controllers.
I hope this isn't true, or maybe you can buy different controllers for the nx?

Also not that happy with the 3d stick from sony too.

I still like the 3dstick from wiiu the most, from xbox one is way too high. The dpad from wiiu is to small, but the shape is good.

This is a black day for me :/

Refyref

I'm sure Nintendo could make something good out of a split D-Pad, but ugh. But it makes sense if they need symmetry, and a D-Pad on each side like the Virtual Boy isn't exactly acceptable. Let's just hope they manage to make one that manages to resemble their regular D-Pad in quality.

udivision

I wonder if Nintendo will bother making new controllers...

If the Wiiimote is supported... than it will be possible for some games (like Smash) to support

Wiimote
Wiimote + Nunchuck
Classic Controller / Classic Controller Pro
Wii U Game Pad Pro
Gamecube Controller (Smash Only)
NX Detachable (Or Full NX as a Handheld)
NX Pro Controller

Maybe it's best if they don't...

Tregard

Soothsayer
I wonder if Nintendo will bother making new controllers...

If the Wiiimote is supported... than it will be possible for some games (like Smash) to support

Wiimote
Wiimote + Nunchuck
Classic Controller / Classic Controller Pro
Wii U Game Pad Pro
Gamecube Controller (Smash Only)
NX Detachable
NX Pro Controller

Maybe it's best if they don't...

They should go the whole hog and implement NES controller support

Branduil

What I love is how people thinks Nintendo shouldn't stop using their D-pads. It's like a trademark.

Yet IMO the last Nintendo D-pad we got was on the GameCube, and we barely used the D-pad since the N64. The Wiimote had something different enough, but at least it felt good enough. And then the Wii U happened and it had the worst D-pad...

And never had problems with DualShock 4's D-pad.

There's the Virtual Console problem then, but honestly... there's no reason they can't allow more controllers in other ways.

Huh? The Gamecube's tiny D-pad was far worse than the Wii-U one.

fernoca

Split d-pad makes sense if you're supposed to use each side as a controller. So the d-pad becomes ABXY buttons sideways.

Jackano

I tried to make a meme about this share button, because after all...

CrG6OU9WgAElhvv.jpg

Split D-pad makes sense if they are supposed to be buttons cluster when you detach the left controller part. But it's shocking when you think the Nintendo d-pad is kind of a highly symbolic input all the way back to the Game & Watch.

PetrCobra

These leaks are always oddly synchronised and carefully dosed.

I guess Nintendo has a leaking schedule to keep us busy while we wait for the real deal.

yyr

Okay, what's wrong with a split D-pad?

It's uncomfortable.

If you only use it for menu selections, and don't actually use it for gameplay, you'll never notice, but if you play anything intensive with it for an extended period of time (fighting games, shmups, etc.), your thumb will start to hurt. Why? Because the edges of all four of those pieces have been continuously jabbing into it.

That being said, the revision on the DualShock 4 is much better in this regard than previous versions.

Wace

Split D-Pad makes perfect sense if it allows it to be used as ABXY buttons along with stick. I.e. in case controller-sides are detached both have one stick and 4 buttons.

Isn't it kinda obvious?

Edit: obviously beaten

Instro

Split D-Pad makes perfect sense if it allows it to be used as ABXY buttons along with stick. I.e. in case controller-sides are detached both have one stick and 4 buttons.

Isn't it kinda obvious?

Edit: obviously beaten

Basically. Seems terrible though.

NimbusD

The d pas thing is the first rumor ive heard that would convince me not to buy this thing. Please don't copy the PS controller in any way... Fucking nightmare imo.

bachikarn

II know Emily has a source or two, but I'm getting kind of suspicious about her jumping online immediately after a story is released to then say the exact same thing. It is kind of bizarre.

To be fair, some sources are more willing to go public when someone else has leaked the information. It would be harder to trace back the info to them. It's the same reason why after EG's report dropped, all the main sites confirmed it. You could make the same argument about them: why didn't they release similar info before if they knew?

At the same time, Emily very well could be doing this to increase her credibility. Her fans will give her points for even the most obvious stuff (like her saying Zelda was going to be on the NX).

Peterc

Btw, it's easy to think it would be seperated because -> sideway it could be used as buttons at both sides.

So you would have 2 dpads/ 8 buttons

Welp, let's see how long this one lasts.

Anybody else find it funny how these leaks almost feel "planned"? Like one leak and then a few more tidbits another day. Then another small thing or two a couple days after? Why isn't it all being leaked the same time?

My guess is because some light rumor-mill stuff on the twitterverse is one thing, but if you just outright leak everything about the system the Nintendo Ninjas won't stop until you've cut off a pinky for Kimishima.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Why didn't Emily release this info when she got it confirmed?

Makes you think huh? At least I do.

To be fair, she may not want to out a source if it is obvious who knows the information. I'm critical of her, but that is a legitimate reason to not run and instantly post online.

To be fair, she may not want to out a source if it is obvious who knows the information. I'm critical of her, but that is a legitimate reason to not run and instantly post online.

From what I've seen, I feel like Emily is more comfortable chiming in and adding to or lending credence to existing rumors than she is outright leaking information herself.

Which may not be what the hungry masses WANT, but it is probably the smartest thing to do if you want to keep contacts. Historically, the bigger the splash you make the quicker you get taken down.

georly

From what I've seen, I feel like Emily is more comfortable chiming in and adding to or lending credence to existing rumors than she is outright leaking information herself.

Which may not be what the hungry masses WANT, but it is probably the smartest thing to do if you want to keep contacts. Historically, the bigger the splash you make the quicker you get taken down.

Well, every time she was the first to report on stuff, people would essentially shoot the messenger and she got tired of that shit. So now, yeah, she just chimes in to confirm or to add to the rumor.

Justinh

I suppose it makes sense for it to be a way to get another 4 four face button set on a side or something, but I just friggen hate segmented D-pads. I've always preferred the Nintendo "plus."

LiamR

Don't know anything about the D-Pad thing, but I've heard rumours of the share button, too so I think that could be true.

ViciousDS

Banned
split d-pad sucks for fighters......and thats pretty much it lol

Its fucking king for anything else though.....shit makes platforming so damn smooth!!!!

Dystify

Update:

NX prototype apparently has 32 GB of internal storage. Remember: This is only the prototype and does not have to reflect the final product.

cZpI1sd.png

With today's announcement of a 3DS only direct on September 1st tells me they want to get the last of the 3DS info out of the way for the NX reveal and makes me 100% confident that the NX will be revealed in September. This direct is the 1st day of September to get it out of the way for NX.

Oh boy now watch the whole internet get pissed off because they want a lot more space.

21XX

Banned

SD expandable? If it wasn't supposedly portable, I'd say 32 is ridiculous in this day and age. But it should definitely have an SD slot.

Also, I can totally see the split d pad if the detachable controllers for two-player is the real deal.

fossi8

SD expandable? If it wasn't supposedly portable, I'd say 32 is ridiculous in this day and age. But it should definitely have an SD slot.

Also, I can totally see the split d pad if the detachable controllers for two-player is the real deal.

Do you prefer to pay 50-70 bucks more for 500GB internal drive or buy external SD expandable according to your necessities?

fernoca

Alright Im done with believing these rumors lol. How you gonna have a share button on a handheld lol? Be at home in wifi? Why not just play on the console.
Same way people "share" stuff using tablets, phones, even 3DS and Vita. Mobile data, mobile hotspots, wi-fi. :p

It also allows to quickly save and upload later. Like on PS4 pressing once saves a screenshot, pressing twice records a clip until you press it again.

No need to upload directly. This just makes it easier and faster. There are 10 years old cameras that had share buttons and allowed to upload to Facebook, whenever you went online.

Top Bottom