• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: NX to Feature PS4 -style Split D-Pad and Share Button

G69mFRd.png

Schnozberry

Just from a functional standpoint, if you want to have two player gaming on the go, then this layout makes a lot of sense. A d-pad would have a distinct disadvantage over buttons for gameplay purposes, and a split d-pad might be the most clever way to offer a workaround.

For single player experiences I'd probably prefer the Nintendo Cross, but I understand their motivation if they go with the split. Maybe they'll sell a cross pad version as an accessory.

PS4's d-pad is excellent. Not sure I understand the complaints.

Pretty much.

Split d-pad is the best kind of dpad tbh.

The flat ones are the ones that are gross and imprecise.

I had to play MvsC3 on a Xbox 360 controller yesterday, that was one of the worst experiences in a fighting game I've ever had, if not the worst.

The M.O.B

Yup. I also heard Zelda is coming to NX. Yes, Paper Mario is definitely coming to Wii U. My sources also confirm Smash Bros is coming to NX.

And it feels like she is always covering her butt with "Obviously all of this could change in the final product"

Ok great, so if she is right it gives her credence, if wrongs then ehh the design must have been changed before like she said it would.

Anth0ny

PS4's d-pad is excellent. Not sure I understand the complaints.

traditional dpad is very much a nintendo thing

split dpad is very much a sony thing

people are averse to change even if it makes sense for what nintendo is going for

and that nintendo will probably release a traditional controller with the regular old dpad anyways...

It makes sense that if there's going to be one controller that splits into two equal controllers, it would have the D-Pad be four face buttons. I'm not fond of them moving away from the old days, but if it makes sense, then good.

Also the PlayStation D-Pad may LOOK like four separate buttons, but it's all one connected piece. You can't press up and down simultaneously on it.

MuchoMalo

Banned
If the drawing is indicative, the NX mainbody is TINY. Meaning controllers are no more than 10 cm (4"), incredibly uncomfortable, and the total volume is more on the side of a phone than a tablet, meaning 4-5 W maximum wattage, of which 2.5 W for the screen, or even less considering the 3DS XL is like twice that in volume and is 4 W.
Worse than WiiU is a concrete possibility if that drawing is true. Need to have much more consistent bezels or a huge depth (like 0.7"+ inches) to have a decent termal dissipation capacity. On the other hand, docked would probably actually have improved GPU clocks if only because the screen would consume more than half the maximum available thermal wattage of the device, and having it turned off while on dock would give ample room for the GPU to increase its clock.

You're overreacting. For one, the Vita uses around 7W total so there's not a physical limitation to 5W for the whole unit. Second, I think that 2.5W may be a bit much for the screen. Finally, even a 2W SoC can be around twice as powerful as Wii U. Wii U is not a power-efficient console, my friend. It's not going to be weaker than Wii U, no matter what.

Hermii

And it feels like she is always covering her butt with "Obviously all of this could change in the final product"

Ok great, so if she is right it gives her credence, if wrongs then ehh the design must have been changed before like she said it would.
To be fair if her info is based on a prototype like she says, there will be changes in the final product for sure.

Just from a functional standpoint, if you want to have two player gaming on the go, then this layout makes a lot of sense. A d-pad would have a distinct disadvantage over buttons for gameplay purposes, and a split d-pad might be the most clever way to offer a workaround.

For single player experiences I'd probably prefer the Nintendo Cross, but I understand their motivation if they go with the split. Maybe they'll sell a cross pad version as an accessory.

Maybe you can switch out the d-pad split with a regular cross d-pad and every NX would come with a cross d-pad to change out if they want too?

Or maybe they could create something to where you could spin the split d-pad 90 degrees and each button would come together to form a cross d-pad lol.

Kinda like this then

NAMl7nRl.jpg
I was thinking the triggers would be like the "B" button of the Wii remote. Like how it's placed in the back of the Wii remote.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
What if the detachable controllers could attach from either side?

Given the different analog / buttons placement on both controllers...I guess it's a possibility.

EDIT: Ah, right, the shoulder buttons make such a thing less doable, though.

oti

Banned
Share button ey? Great addition considering how robust the Wii U's community features are. It's my favorite gimmick on the DS4.

Nintendo games are so gorgeous they need to be shared easier and better than "let me take out my phone and make a picture of the screen" lol.

The one thing I want the most is the right stick below the face buttons. Nintendo was doing it already with the GC and the Wii Classic Controller. I feel they did that change on the WiiU just to differentiate themselves from the Xbox controller which it seemed they were inspired greatly by.

Once the trend setters Nintendo has been chasing the trends in this department for years now.

Banned
I love how Emily Rogers is always there to say "yeah, heard about that last week. What? nah why would I tell you guys about it before. It's better to wait for it to come out and then pretend like I already knew."

Yup. I also heard Zelda is coming to NX. Yes, Paper Mario is definitely coming to Wii U. My sources also confirm Smash Bros is coming to NX.
Forget it. Nvm.

Schnozberry

Maybe you can switch out the d-pad split with a regular cross d-pad and every NX would come with a cross d-pad to change out if they want too?

Or maybe they could create something to where you could spin the split d-pad 90 degrees and each button would come together to form a cross d-pad lol.

Given the complexities this would add to construction, and the potential issues you would add unnecessarily with durability, I would think Nintendo would probably rather sell you an additional controller rather than swapping D-Pad's around.

ZeroX03

Banned
Split d-pad is great. The Wii U d-pad sucks. And the Pro Controller isn't much better. Find it uncomfortable to use for long periods of time and they're useless for fighting games. Played the Wii U's platformers with the stick.

Asymmetric? I'm not a fan.

georly

Not a fan of the split d-pad because I love the nintendo one... buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut

Split dpad makes sense if they also need to double as buttons when playing as a sideways wiimote.

And they can always sell one with traditional d-pad down the line. I bet the 'pro controller' has a traditional d-pad as well, for when you're playing on tv.

phanphare

Banned
The WiiU one isn't that much better though. The PS4 is much better.

Split dpad is simply way better for fighters and platformers.

Wii U gamepad dpad and pro controller dpad are best in class

don't play fighters but Nintendo's dpads are typically always better for platformers. seems obvious because it is.

Anth0ny

Not a fan of the split d-pad because I love the nintendo one... buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut

Split dpad makes sense if they also need to double as buttons when playing as a sideways wiimote.

And they can always sell one with traditional d-pad down the line. I bet the 'pro controller' has a traditional d-pad as well, for when you're playing on tv.

thank you. people gotta chill, if this is true. it'll be okay.

What if the detachable controllers could attach from either side?

Yeah I was musing on this on the previous page. I think that'll actually be a key feature for detachable controllers in general. The trigger and shoulder button placement is a question of course, but I don't think it's an insurmountable design problem.

In theory they could do away with the d-pad all together and make all of the controller pieces identical with a 4 button cross arrangement, with different LED backlights labeling each button. That doesn't really match up with this drawing of the devkit though due to the two start/select/share buttons on the bottoms of each controller part, so I don't know if it's going to happen.

javac

Split d-pad makes sense if there's truth to the rumor that the two sides detach and allow local multiplayer, so the d-pad can act like face buttons.

Wii U gamepad dpad and pro controller dpad are best in class

don't play fighters but Nintendo's dpads are typically always better for platformers. seems obvious because it is.

They really aren't.

Use both on 2D SNES platformers and the difference is night and day.

The split dpad lets you discriminate between directions far better.

It's better for both platformers and fighters, and especially 2D platformers.

Flat dpad is just Nintendo nostalgia. It was best until split dpad came around. The upgrade is worth if you actually use it and will know the difference.

Banned
If there's a split dpad, that's fine. I'm sure if the nx has detachable controllers they'll sell a regular Nintendo dpad version for some extra cash lol.

Given the complexities this would add to construction, and the potential issues you would add unnecessarily with durability, I would think Nintendo would probably rather sell you an additional controller rather than swapping D-Pad's around.
Makes sense. Best to keep it simple.

KingBroly

Banned
Yeah I was musing on this on the previous page. I think that'll actually be a key feature for detachable controllers in general. The trigger and shoulder button placement is a question of course, but I don't think it's an insurmountable design problem.

In theory they could do away with the d-pad all together and make all of the controller pieces identical with a 4 button cross arrangement, with different LED backlights labeling each button. That doesn't really match up with this drawing of the devkit though due to the two start/select/share buttons on the bottoms of each controller part, so I don't know if it's going to happen.

Ideally, the left and right controllers line up when you put them together.

Lol I kept thinking this. The triggers would be on the left for the left controller which could work if you keep your thumb on the analogue stick and use your middle finger to hit the trigger since it's close to it.

Or the triggers won't be at the top of the detachable controllers. They could put the lower on the controller and when your turn it on the side your fingers from both hands could hit them as they're more towards the middle of the controller.

With this asymmetric setup it means there should be some kind of slot along the top of each controller to overlap the tablet edge. Possible they have a optical sensor inside the slot that turns it into an input, so would work as one big linear multitouch strip.

whiteape

Btw. DS4 d-pad isn't split in 4 parts. It looks like it but it's still one 'thing' covered by the controller surface in the middle.

Sony style split d-pad wouldn't be that bad, IF it was like the DS4.
DS4 has probably the best d-pad right now imo.
The Share button is my least used button on a controller EVER, even less used than the old Select button.
I still hope that Nintendo will go the route of seperate Start and Select buttons. Having one button less to use on a controller is not really all that smart in my opinion.

phanphare

Banned
They really aren't.

Use both on 2D SNES platformers and the difference is night and day.

The split dpad lets you discriminate between directions far better.

You would know if you used both frequently.

yeah gonna go ahead and disagree strongly there and I have used both frequently

with a solid dpad you can discriminate just fine, in fact you can tilt up or down while only pressing forward or backward (and vice versa) limiting the amount of thumb gymnastics you'd have to pull off to perform certain maneuvers

Nintendo and 2D platformers go together like lamb and tuna. it only makes sense that their dpads would be a cut above.

BY2K

Membero Americo

If it means anything, Emily told me all that stuff before the article came out.

Ideally, the left and right controllers line up when you put them together.

Ah, I thought you meant that there would be no left and right controller, and you could attach either controller to either side, flipping the controllers for different analog stick configurations depending on your preference.

Who knows at this point... the leaks seem to be coming with less and less time between them, so hopefully that means the reveal is soon (not that I'm using logic to get to that point but whatever)

Top Bottom