• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: NX to Feature PS4 -style Split D-Pad and Share Button

Tregard

Soothsayer
They should make the new D-Pad have 5 extremities instead of 4, going from a plus shape (+) to an asterisk shape (⁎), to allow for innovative new game-play ideas

I'm sure the split D-Pad will be fine if it happens

Dystify

Split D-Pad? gross
Share button theft would be good assuming the miiverse (or equivalent) integration isn't as cumbersome and slow this time around.

These people that never touched a single playstation controller in their lifetime apparently?

Yeah but those people touched the Playstation d-pad, not the Nintendo d-pad. I wouldn't assume the Nintendo d-pad to be the exact same d-pad as the Sony one.

If it ends up similar and people dislike it then it's too bad. But I'm sure Nintendo has their reasons. They're not gonna be like "Hey, let's add a split d-pad cause we want to make our controller worse, who cares about the last 30 years we used a normal d-pad!!!". I assume if they do end up going with it it may be because being split means you can use it as buttons as well as d-pad. The EG rumor did say the controller is detachable and can be used individually. But don't take my rambling as fact.

Either way, they're not gonna ditch the traditional d-pad I'd say. It will be there in one form or another, even if it's only on the Pro controller (or as part you can attach to the main controllers).

I have no opinion on the split d pad. I feel like other systems have done it before and it wasn't a big deal? Besides, you can't design a consoles controller around the use of old games. I'm sire they'll allow wireless/ USB support for classic controllers

ASIS

I'm expecting sticks seeing as how this won't be clamshell and how the Wii U changed from pads to sticks.

Yeah, but this console is portable though, so I don't think they can go full analogue sticks either. Probably a middle solution.

Split D-Pad finally makes sense of the split controller concept- both sides could be functionally identical for multiplayer play on the go. Ditto for the asymmetrical analogue sticks- both sides will be the same when held.

I predict a Pro Controller included in the box for home play, complete with traditional D-Pad and analogue sticks.

Falchion

Split d-pads are trash coming off of the wonderful Xbox Elite d-pad with the little silver bowl. Also so excited about a share button because that means screenshots galore. I'm playing Wind Waker HD now and would love to be able to do this.

The_Lump

Banned
Besides the obvious reason for this (to maintain symmetry between both detachable controller pieces); I wonder if this is also something to do with the IR button recognition thing? Perhaps it doesn't work as well with rockers?

Mithos

Yeah, but this console is portable though, so I don't think they can go full analogue sticks either. Probably a middle solution.

As long as they have a full solution for home use when hooked up on TV, coz circle-pad variants will end up on an anvil under the attack of a sledgehammer ;P ;P

They have tried it - from Sony's offerings. Sure Nintendo could be the ones to show us how split d-pad should be done, but considering many haven't had a great experience with them since 1994 I think the pessimism is valid.
What are you talking about? I play all my fighters on Dual shocks? The D-pad is fine.

maxcriden

D-Pads.jpg

(edited for better pic)

The PS2/3 split d-pad is ridiculously comfy so I'm cool with that.

Anth0ny

Not surprised at split dpad. They want both parts of the controller that snap onto the screen to be identical.

Chill out Nintendo fans. I'm sure the pro controller will still have a traditional Nintendo dpad.

Hermii

Nintendo has been leaking like a sinking ship lately. but nothing of what is leaked is indicating a New way to play as Kimi was talking about. I hope there are major features we still dont know about.

ASIS

As long as they have a full solution for home use when hooked up on TV, coz circle-pad variants will end up on an anvil under the attack of a sledgehammer ;P ;P

LOL yes I also hope no circle pads. They get the job done on handhelds but for home consoles the answer is obviously no. But this maybe one examples of "jack of all trades, master of none" approach that people were talking about back when the NX was first leaked to be both a home console but primarily a handheld.

The announcement is soon so we shall see.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
What are you talking about? I play all my fighters on Dual shocks? The D-pad is fine.

Well personally I never found it that comfortable, with the spikes in the middle often digging into my thumb. Judging by responses in this thread it looks like I'm not alone.

Volotaire

I'm not a fan of split D-pads if the final design includes one. The share button is a feature I have wanted for the NX, so it sounds great. Let's hope there are wide social networking features and media features tagged along side it which are simple and intuitive to use.

thefro

I prefer Nintendo's D-Pad over Sony's, but splitting it makes sense if they want both detachable controllers to have the same buttons. We'll have to see how it actually feels if it's true. Or it could be something that changes before the final product.

Share button is a good idea. I'd expect live video streaming too to be available as well considering you can do that on the Shield.

Analog stick positioning doesn't both me either way, although if they had both on top it would make both detachable controllers more identical than what the drawing shows.

Flare

Prefer one large d-pad instead of the split one. Can't say much aside from that, wonder what the share button entails (simply miiverse? Or is there more to it like streaming, uploading clips/screenshots).

Could do something with LED backlights I guess

That's a very interesting idea...

I really think that's one of the more elegant solutions to having detachable controllers- let the user attach any controller they want to either side of the NX in landscape or portrait mode. It makes the whole setup a lot simpler- instead of looking for the right controller and left controller, you just grab any two and snap them onto the handheld.

I also think that two detached controllers would be used for most single player games on the TV when the NX is docked, like the Wiimote and nunchuk, but just two Wiimote-like controllers. Assuming they both have analog sticks, that can open up a lot more control options than the Wiimote-nunchuk arrangement.

Regarding the split d-pad -- my understanding is that Nintendo own the patent on the whole d-pad, and so Sony made this 'split' one as a way of circumventing that. I would assume this means that Sony have the patent on this style of d-pad, which makes Nintendo adopting it seem unlikely. I don't see why they would change what they currently have already.

Nintendo's d-pad patent expired in 2005 so anyone can use the patented design. I don't believe Sony has a patent on their d-pad design. The reason to change it is symmetry between the two detachable controllers- the split d-pad buttons act as abxy face buttons.

Sounds like from the sources the share button is for sure, but not too sure on the split d-pad? Man I really just want to see this thing! Lol

I feel stupid and just realized if you wanted to play a 2D Mario on the go with one controller you probably could by just turning it vertical and using one of the controllers.
Why don't these leaks ever say anything about the shoulder buttons? Wonder what's going on there.

Good question. I wished the scrollable wheels would've been true, but it's not sounding like it.

G.ZZZ

If the drawing is indicative, the NX mainbody is TINY. Meaning controllers are no more than 10 cm (4"), incredibly uncomfortable, and the total volume is more on the side of a phone than a tablet, meaning 4-5 W maximum wattage, of which 2.5 W for the screen, or even less considering the 3DS XL is like twice that in volume and is 4 W.
Worse than WiiU is a concrete possibility if that drawing is true. Need to have much more consistent bezels or a huge depth (like 0.7"+ inches) to have a decent termal dissipation capacity. On the other hand, docked would probably actually have improved GPU clocks if only because the screen would consume more than half the maximum available thermal wattage of the device, and having it turned off while on dock would give ample room for the GPU to increase its clock.

Why don't these leaks ever say anything about the shoulder buttons? Wonder what's going on there.

Edit: I went hunting for deets about possible d-pad and I could have sworn I saw one on this, but no luck:

theres%2Bno%2Bplay%2Blike%2Bit.png

ASIS

last post today I promise, but something just occurred to me. If the controllers need to be perfectly symmetrical does that mean we will have a pause and a select button (or + and - ) on each controller? That would be overkill but I think it's necessary if they want to go that far.

Regiruler

Miiverse button would be fine.

Splitting the d-pad is wholly unnecessary. You can already do two adjacent inputs at once, and nobody uses opposite buttons simultaneously, ever.

wrowa

If the drawing is indicative, the NX mainbody is TINY. Meaning controllers are no more than 10 cm (4"), incredibly uncomfortable, and the total volume is more on the side of a phone than a tablet, meaning 4-5 W maximum wattage, of which 2.5 W for the screen, or even less considering the 3DS XL is like twice that in volume and is 4 W.
Worse than WiiU is a concrete possibility if that drawing is true. Need to have much more consistent bezels or a huge depth (like 0.7"+ inches) to have a decent termal dissipation capacity. On the other hand, docked would probably actually have improved GPU clocks if only because the screen would consume more than half the maximum available thermal wattage of the device, and having it turned off while on dock would give ample room for the GPU to increase its clock.

I'm not sure if you're joking of if we really reached the point where we estimate the size of the hardware based on a quick Paint mockup.

Top Bottom