• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: NX to Feature PS4 -style Split D-Pad and Share Button

ggx2ac

What if, the detachable controllers can attach on either of their sides on the NX so you can have symmetrical sticks or asymmetrical sticks?

LordRaptor

As others have said, if the splittable controller is intended to turn into two controllers, asymmetric sticks and split d-pad is the only way it works while keeping both 'halves' equally functional.

I think it's also interesting that it might not be considered a d-pad at all, but just buttons; will the NX be brave enough to admit that for 90% of console games the d-pad is now just a menu selector and doesn't need to be a pad at all?

Dystify

Clarification by Emily:

8flcH90.png

So she only seems to be sure about the social button, not the split d-pad.

Eolz

Okay, what's wrong with a split D-pad?

PS4's d-pad is excellent. Not sure I understand the complaints.

While Sony improved their D-pad above the previous Dualshock iterations (especially on the Vita, feels better than on the PS4), and is obviously leagues above Microsoft's "D-pad" (that has also been slightly improved), it just isn't as good in terms of ergonomics and feeling (responsiveness, mushiness, etc) than Nintendo's solid D-pads.
Even if the latter had some changes over the previous iterations as well and can be better or worse depending on the hardware as well, just like Sony and MS.

edit: I honestly feel that those thinking the PS4's dpad is great haven't really touched other pads in a while, apart from MS' ones...

daakusedo

I don't see the right stick being positioned like that in such a form factor, you would touch it while reaching for buttons and the way you would have to lower your hand is not comfortable.

Reki

The Share Button sounds great, it can improve greatly the Miiverse experience.

Wondering about the change in the d-pad... as others have said, it makes a lot of sense if you think about the detachable controllers and how they need to have at least "similar" buttons.

That all sounds awesome. Split D-Pad is fine, the PS4 one is great for example. The Share button sounds really good too, especially if they are expanding our options for uploading.

I wonder it will support Twitch/YouTube Gaming like the other consoles?
Maybe save a few steps and have the share button directly give you a copyright strike on your channel notice for authenticity jk.

Share or social button for screens is a welcome addition.

Kouriozan

Damn, Nintendo always stealing Sony's ideas.
Just hope it'll be more comfortable to hold than the OG 3DS.
The social button can be interesting if done well, with Miiverse and stuff.

wrowa

Probably circle pads.

Yeah, if it's supposed to be a portable device, the device has to be relatively thin. So, normal-sized control sticks seem unlikely - and between circle pads and the small sticks Vita is using, I'd rather have a circle pads (I don't know if its a popular opinion, but I always found the circle pad to be more comfortable and precise than Vita's sticks, not a fan of those).

correojon

Miiverse should have had its own button on the Wii U so I'm fine with this.

D-Pad, however...Nintendo have had the best D-Pad for their entire life, they shouldn't change it.

This. I love N´s DPad and have always felt something off about the split DS pad so I hope this is not true.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It would be different to how Nintendo used to do in the past. Of course there would be people complaining about it before even having tried it. People fear change.

They have tried it - from Sony's offerings. Sure Nintendo could be the ones to show us how split d-pad should be done, but considering many haven't had a great experience with them since 1994 I think the pessimism is valid.

Xav

Nintendo D-Pads are still the best around and I see no reason to change it.

The only other good D-Pad in recent memory was the Vita... which Sony didn't use for the PS4 pad because they're idiots.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Clarification by Emily:

8flcH90.png

She only says that if it's in the devkit is not guaranteed to be in the retail version. But the devkits surely have a split D-Pad.

Can't the NX have sticks like the Vita? I see some saying it would be circle pads to stay flat with the rest, but can't it stick up a little

Dystify

They have tried it - from Sony's offerings. Sure Nintendo could be the ones to show us how split d-pad should be done, but considering many haven't had a great experience with them since 1994 I think the pessimism is valid.

Well I choose to have some faith in Nintendo. I doubt they would just change things if it ends up being worse. Either way, it may only be a split d-pad in the development unit, but not in the final NX. We don't know this yet.

dose

Clarification by Emily:

8flcH90.png

Yeh, exactly, you can't go off devkits whatsoever. Some of Nintendo's (early) handheld devkits were basically circuitboards with microswitches and a screen slapped on them.

Looks like NX to have a snappy OS.
How can you assume that with the little information we have in the OP?

Important thing is: Leakers should really start to learn basic drawing. This and the PS neo thing looks like they were drawn by 5yo.

big fake

Always preferred the PlayStation D-Pad's over Nintendo's (mostly because I haven't really played too many Nintendo consoles) and I really like the asymmetrical analogues on the Xbox controllers.

For me this is a win!

The PS4's d-pad isn't even split. It just essentially has plastic covering the middle.
I was going to bring this up. Can't it still be a full D-Pad, but the middle part of the D-Pad is hidden under the NX shell only leaving the 4 sides to the plus sticking out.

Split d-pad is wack. Hope that's not true. Seems highly doubtful too.

Can't wait for Nintendo to unveil this. All the speculation and rumors are getting to be too much!

ar4757

Miiverse should have had its own button on the Wii U so I'm fine with this.

D-Pad, however...Nintendo have had the best D-Pad for their entire life, they shouldn't change it.

Objection! I've only used a OG 3ds - I hear the other 3ds's are better, but it was the worst dpad I've ever used. The DS Lite's is great though

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Well I choose to have some faith in Nintendo. I doubt they would just change things if it ends up being worse. Either way, it may only be a split d-pad in the development unit, but not in the final NX. We don't know this yet.

Right, we don't know yet, but why would they ever create a split D-pad just for the devkits?

The PS4's d-pad isn't even split. It just essentially has plastic covering the middle.

Yes, I think this is important to note. The PS d-pads are a single piece of plastic, with the controller shell covering some of it from the outside (making it look like it's split). A true split d-pad would be four separate buttons.

Top Bottom