• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: NX to Feature PS4 -style Split D-Pad and Share Button

phanphare

Banned
Which was literally a Game Boy Advance Dpad, which we all somehow got on with at the time.

the placement is what gets me about the GCN dpad but it was hardly ever used so I don't have any strong feelings about it one way or the other

MCN

Banned
I think we got on with it because there were no 2D games on Gamecube.

I mean we all accepted it when it was on a GBA, but not when it was on a GC controller. Despite the fact that it had far more use on the GBA, as it was the only directional input.

Kodaman

I'm thinking split D-Pad would make sense with the detachable controls thing.
This way they could be use also as regular buttons.

Taker666

The only problem with that is that you can't press two D-pad "buttons" at the same time, since even with a split D-pad like the ones Sony are using, you still only have one pad.

So, if they really want to be able to use the D-pad as A/B/X/Y inputs, even a traditional split D-pad would be quite limited in its utility. You kinda have to wonder then if it's a D-pad at all or if it's indeed four separate buttons that are supposed to look like a split D-pad. Only then it would be really viable when used as a separate controller ... but it would also make for one horrible "D-pad" experience when used in "standard" mode.

Unless they could have a mechanism that could lock and unlock the buttons/d-pad so it could switch between a solid d-pad or separate buttons. It should be mechanically possible.

Oddduck

Nintendo Life is hearing similar things if you want to add to the OP.

We've followed up with some sources of our own regarding this topic and, though they did not reiterate details around streaming and uploading content, did suggest that this Share / Social button is indeed a feature, also supporting claims around its placement at the opposite side of the HOME button. We've also heard that there are multiple sources around the split D-Pad on development units.

Clefargle

FWIW, 10k was talking about asymmetrical analog sticks a few days ago, which is funny.

Why would they go with a split D-Pad, though? Maybe it has to do with that IR patent?

I give this thread 36 hours.

Yeah I was wondering if each button has to be moved independently for that sensor to work

Sandfox

Share should be fun, especially when Pokemon and Smash hit.

I actually prefer the Xbox/Gamecube stick orientation to what we got for the Wii U and I have no opinion on the D-Pad.

Regarding the split d-pad -- my understanding is that Nintendo own the patent on the whole d-pad, and so Sony made this 'split' one as a way of circumventing that. I would assume this means that Sony have the patent on this style of d-pad, which makes Nintendo adopting it seem unlikely. I don't see why they would change what they currently have already.

Rodin

I get that they might be using the buttons of the split dpad as 4 buttons to match the other side of the controller when used detached, but i'm not convinced it's a good trade off vs a decent dpad. It certainly isn't for me.

Man chill out. It's Nintendo. They know how to take things and make it better. If Nintendo were to do a straight up d-pad slit then they deserve the benefit of the doubt to do it good.
Oh i'm calm, i don't really get mad for this stuff. I overexaggerated the tone because i really hate split dpad hahaha

Maybe they deserve the benefit of the doubt for other things, but there's not much they can do to make a split dpad good for the most common genre we're going to use it on a Nintendo console (2D platforms). Can you imagine playing Mario with that?

BD1

Banned
Yep. Think "Nintendo 64 C-buttons" here.

Yep, first thing I thought of was the return of " C buttons"

D-Up
D-Down
D-Left
D-Right

yellow colored, for extra nostalgia

edit Love the idea of a dedicated share button though. Love the idea on PS4, and loved the initial idea of building empathy thru Miiverse. It's a great feature.

As I have said since the NX was first leaked by Eurogamer, Nintendo would be wise to get native apps for Snapchat, Instagram, Facebook, etc. All the social apps, make the NX more ubiquitous as a mobile device.

Clefargle

Hmmmm, if sharing is a big part of this device. And it's portable, would that potentially confirm 4g card slot for streaming on the go?

Split D-Pad? gross
Share button theft would be good assuming the miiverse (or equivalent) integration isn't as cumbersome and slow this time around.

It would be different to how Nintendo used to do in the past. Of course there would be people complaining about it before even having tried it. People fear change.

These people that never touched a single playstation controller in their lifetime apparently?

Uh if the right stick is on the bottom instead of lined up with the left stick on the top, that's bigger news than a social button and a split d pad. That's awesome!! Worst part of using the GamePad or Pro controller is the right stick being above the face buttons instead of below

That's great. Nintendo d-pads have been terrible for years.

nick-young-confused-face.jpg

ASIS

The only reason why Nintendo is going split is the fact they want the D-pad to double down as diamond buttons.

This gives a little bit of credibility to Eurogamer's report earlier that the two controllers can in face be used by two different players. It also fits perfectly with the Wiimote philosophy.

To be honest though, I'm a bit weary about where this is going. The NX is starting to have a little too many options from the get go, seems a little unfocused with all these new features added. But I'm sure the final design will be more elegant than what I'm imagining.

I get that they might be using the buttons of the split dpad as 4 buttons to match the other side of the controller when used detached, but i'm not convinced it's a good trade off vs a decent dpad. It certainly isn't for me.

Oh i'm calm, i don't really get mad for this stuff. I overexaggerated the tone because i really hate split dpad hahaha

Maybe they deserve the benefit of the doubt for other things, but there's not much they can do to make a split dpad good for the most common genre we're going to use it on a Nintendo console (2D platforms). Can you imagine playing Mario with that?

Bruh, you just said it lol- platformers are Nintendos bread and butter and it's used for their main mascots game (2D Mario). Nintendo prides themselves on controls. They would not create something that would detriment their Mario franchise at all or any of their other platformers. I would trust Nintendo to get it right considering how important it is to their games.

Mithos

I can understand the split d-pad thingy since both controllers left/right need to look the same if two different person should be able to use one each while playing multiplayer on the same device.

MCN

Banned
Uh if the right stick is on the bottom instead of lined up with the left stick on the top, that's bigger news than a social button and a split d pad. That's awesome!! Worst part of using the GamePad or Pro controller is the right stick being above the face buttons instead of below

Yeah, why would you want the stick to be in the natural position for your thumb?

Dekuboy

Neo Member
Doesn´t Nintendo have a patent on that cross-dpad? I hope they will still use the cross-dpad! Also please no damn circlepads!

BD1

Banned
Split d-pad? RIP Virtual console.

I feel you, but don't discount nostalgia fueled classic Nintendo controllers: NES, SNES, N64, etc to play VC games and of course the Wii Remote and Pro Controllers.

At this point, I wouldn't be shocked if we saw a stand alone Virtual Console console, depending how successful NES mini is.

KingBroly

Banned
I can understand the split d-pad thingy since both controllers left/right need to look the same if two different person should be able to use one each while playing multiplayer on the same device.

That's my opinion as well. The controllers on both side have to be uniform for multiplayer's sake

Every system should have a share button. I'm sick of having to go to home menu then miiverse, then wait for that to load, then post that takes even more time

MoonFrog

Hmmm...

Not interested in a share button. Only time I used Miiverse was with leaving feedback in SMM. Don't use social media in general.

Split d-pad...I'll survive. I'm not a 2D gaming purist having grown up through SNES and PSX and so a lot of 3D gaming too. Does seem to make sense with detachable controllers, so both sides mirror each other.

Asymmetrical analogs doesn't though. That sounds like one side is going to be held upside down. Asymmetrical also gets in the way of 2D gaming. I like having a SNES style controller if I just settle my hands lower on the Wii U stuff.

I'd believe that the D-Pad is split just because of the detachable controllers concept.

That said, I hope they stick to the superior Nintendo D-Pad (though if they don't, it won't destroy reality itself, as some people are making it out to). Also, no circle pads.

MCN

Banned
Why on earth would they downgrade the dpad like that, no way Nintendo.

I'm pretty sure they're not going to literally put a Playstation Dpad in there. If they're going to do it, they'll find a way to do it right. Nintendo have been making Dpads for over 30 years, I'm willing to trust them.

Top Bottom