• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: NX to Feature PS4 -style Split D-Pad and Share Button

wrowa

At this point, I think people are releasing new tiny NX rumors every other day just so GAF can have another NX thread that won't get locked for a day or two.

ozfunghi

If the controllers are detachable then the split d-pad makes sense... The d-pad can be used as action buttons when the controller is separated from the hardware...

Split d-pad could be to be able to use them as abxy buttons when detaching controllers.

Yup, i've actually been thinking about this since the detachable controller rumor first came up. It makes sense to have a Dpad that can work as 4 buttons. I remember the Dreamcast had a couple of games where the facebuttons were used as a Dpad. Also, even in Melee the C-stick was used as button inputs.

It would be different to how Nintendo used to do in the past. Of course there would be people complaining about it before even having tried it. People fear change.

Especially, inferior change. Haha.

Dak'kon

The original DS Lite d-pad was solid and it's the worst d-pad I have ever had to use. I don't care if it's split or solid as long as it feels good to use.

Nintendo already have a software based share functionality in the Miiverse and it works really well. As long as they keep Miiverse and tie it to the share button (and hopefully let us still do text and drawn posts) then I'll use it far more than I ever have the PS4 share button.

N64_Controller_Mod_Joystick_Repair_RetroFixes_grande.jpg

I'm envisioning the "C-group" strikes back. only this time the buttons will be more rectangular instead of round.

phanphare

Banned
ew

the only reason I could think of that Nintendo would want to gimp their dpad would be if they want it to also function like 4 face buttons when the controller is split

Split d-pad could be to be able to use them as abxy buttons when detaching controllers.

This was my first thought too. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the final product completely does away with a d-pad and you have two identical detachable controllers with sticks and abxy buttons, so that you can put one on each side of the portable in any arrangement you want.

Of course the problem with that is labeling each abxy button...

I don't see the right stick being positioned like that in such a form factor, you would touch it while reaching for buttons and the way you would have to lower your hand is not comfortable.

I wouldn't really assume the cocktail napkin drawing of a devkit in any way represents the actual devkit, which might not in any way represent the final product, so I wouldn't worry about being able to use it comfortably.

Eolz

Could something like MS' twisting dpad works maybe?
Split by default, transforms into a solid one for a better feeling by turning it or something.

Rodin

I don't care about the "share" button, it can be a cool feature i'm not particularly interested in

I'm ok with asymmetrical analog sticks, i used them since the GC/Xbox (and kept using them with the Xbox 360 and recently with the Xbox One controller on PC), although i like the symmetrical scheme of the gamepad/pro controller just as much

But how the fuck could they even think about putting that split d-pad piece of shit in the controller is beyond me. They make the best d-pad by miles (sorry PSV owners) and they have to copy that shit from Sony? How about reintroducing analog triggers instead, and keep using the Pro Controller d-pad?

I love how after an NX thread gets closed, a new one with new info gets posted.

I'm not a fan of Separated D-Pads, but if Nintendo made the change it must be for a good reason. I guess this might be the PSP-like device from that past thread? The description makes more sense now if the buttons are like that.

Share button is welcomed, love taking pics. Hopefully it allows twitch streaming too.

Taker666

Hate that they have dropped the symmetrical sticks (not a fan of the split d-pad either...but to be honest the last Nintendo d-pad I really liked was the SNES one).

Wii U was the first console to get stick positioning correct (both in the primary locations at the top of the pad). Fingers crossed the controllers can be slotted either way...or third parties will release additional controllers with symmetrical placements. Asymmetrical sticks make the controller so unbalanced.

It's a shame that they are forcing these imperfections just so you can have basic multiplayer controllers.

I don't care about the "social" button (which i assume is something to upload pics/videos on miiverse), it can be a cool feature i'm not particularly interested in

I'm ok with asymmetrical analog sticks, i used them since the GC/Xbox (and kept using them with the Xbox 360 and recently with the Xbox One controller on PC), although i like the symmetrical scheme of the gamepad/pro controller just as much

But how the fuck could they even think about putting that split d-pad piece of shit in the controller is beyond me. They make the best d-pad (sorry PSV owners) and they have to copy that shit from Sony? How about reintroducing analog triggers instead, and using the Pro Controller d-pad?

Also, why the hell is the shape of that sketch the exact same as the Wii U gamepad? Didn't they get the message the first time?

Man chill out. It's Nintendo. They know how to take things and make it better. If Nintendo were to do a straight up d-pad slit then they deserve the benefit of the doubt to do it good.

atomsk

Party Pooper
So, are you hopeful for the chance to upload gameplay footage from NX to YouTube, or are you fearful of all the footage you upload being Content ID matched or taken straight back down by Nintendo’s legal teams?

Nintendo is heavy on Content ID, not so much on takedowns. They probably view it as just another revenue stream.

Almost guaranteed that if NX has a share button, all the footage will get auto-flagged and all the money will go to Nintendo. That's how Mario Kart TV worked iirc.

Anyone deep in the youtube game has either joined the "Creators Program", avoided Nintendo games completely, or has some audio/visual workarounds so they don't get flagged.

ASIS

I don't care about either the D-pad or the share button, but we have a new speculation thread! Hooray!

Take that mods! As soon as you lock one up another shows up. You can't stop us!

ggx2ac

I love how after an NX thread gets closed, a new one with new info gets posted.

I'm not a fan of Separated D-Pads, but if Nintendo made the change it must be for a good reason. I guess this might be the PSP-like device from that past thread? The description makes more sense now if the buttons are like that.

Oh shit!

That's possible. I said before, the guy could have misidentified it because it had no branding. Also, it doesn't have 2 screens and it probably isn't as huge as a Wii U Gamepad.

It's only a possibility though. However, we are supposed to be expecting playable NX units for its reveal with the press to give impressions.

Symtendo

Didn't Code Name STEAM have the directional camera mapped to the 3DS face buttons? I seem to remember that felt quite good, so as long as Nintendo are doing this for a good reason I could hop on board!

The_Lump

Banned
Split D-pad to mirror 4xbuttons on the other side. Makes sense.

This would solve the problem of not having the same control inputs when you detach the controllers for the rumoured 2-player local multiplayer thing. (ie both will have an analogue stick + 4 buttons)

I'm skeptical though...

wrowa

Yup, i've actually been thinking about this since the detachable controller rumor first came up. It makes sense to have a Dpad that can work as 4 buttons.

The only problem with that is that you can't press two D-pad "buttons" at the same time, since even with a split D-pad like the ones Sony are using, you still only have one pad.

So, if they really want to be able to use the D-pad as A/B/X/Y inputs, even a traditional split D-pad would be quite limited in its utility. You kinda have to wonder then if it's a D-pad at all or if it's indeed four separate buttons that are supposed to look like a split D-pad. Only then it would be really viable when used as a separate controller ... but it would also make for one horrible "D-pad" experience when used in "standard" mode.

AGoodODST

Didn't Code Name STEAM have the directional camera mapped to the 3DS face buttons? I seem to remember that felt quite good, so as long as Nintendo are doing this for a good reason I could hop on board!

MGS3 3D did this as well if you didn't have a CPP.

MCN

Banned
I don't care about either the D-pad or the share button, but we have a new speculation thread! Hooray!

Take that mods! As soon as you lock one up another shows up. You can't stop us!

Every time a speculation thread is locked, a little part of me dies. They're fun, and if some people can't handle speculation without taking it all too seriously and going off the deep end, that's on them. The rest of us shouldn't be punished because of a few idiots.

Nibel

Split D-Pad would be weird; share button makes sense

I wonder if this is just LPVG capitalizing on the success of the other NX article
wtzgU.gif

Zoon

D pad really depends on the game. I believe that for non-directional/movement purposes split d pad is a lot better. But trying to play something like mario wouldn't work that well.

MCN

Banned
Is Emily Rogers reliable? Lately I just see her confirming other people's rumors which isn't that hard to do.

As reliable as anyone reporting rumours and hearsay can be expected to be. Sometimes she's right, sometimes she's wrong. She is in touch with insiders, but sometimes the information she feeds back is either wrong, or subject to change.

Top Bottom