• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resonance of Fate |OT| John Woo RPG Action and Small Racks

Ashkeloth said:
1. I've read some stuff about custom clothing and stuff like that in this game. How deep is that stuff? are there many outfits and do they effect your stats, or are they just for show?
Do you create a character and then are only able to customise them, or are you given a pre-determined party and can change them up at will?

2. I keep reading about this games difficulty. Is it unfair levels of difficulty that make the game unfun to play, or is it something that can be overcome with grinding or good strategy?

3. Speaking of grind, how much of it does this game have? I have a bit of OCD when it comes to maxing out my characters in RPGs at the end, just before the final boss, but I generally don't like having to grind mid-game.

4. The metacritic score for this game is pretty low compared to the games I usually buy. Is there any reason for this, or is it just weak-ass reviewers bitching about how hard it is, or how the characters wield guns but aren't bald space marines?

5. I've also seen a few screens of something looking like weapon customization. Is that very deep, and can it change your playstyle up a bit, or is it one of those railroad things where you just equip the newest available part and you go from having a handgun at the beginning of the game to a portable death star by the end?

6. This game looks like it has a sort of western setting with the whole, almost steampunk thing going on. Is it executed well, or is it just a bunch of japanese style characters dumped into a western world design? In other words, will characters be screaming out the name of their attacks and preaching about how important friendship is?

7. Are there any easy missables that stop me from getting something important? I don't mind using a guide as reference for missables, but I don't want to be referencing it every 2 minutes.

1. You're given a pre-determined party and the outfits don't affect your stats.
  2. The game is challenging, but if you do the sidequests it's neither grind heavy or that difficult.
  3. I did all the sidequests (four in each chapter, IIRC) and some fighting in the arena. That was more than enough to beat the game without any additional grinding.
  4. A lot of good RPGs are received poorly by the mainstream gaming media. You're usually better off reading reviews from RPG centric sites such as RPGamer and RPGFan.
  5. Weapon customization is a lot more important than gaining character levels. You'll spend a lot of time synthesizing new parts and trying to maximize your weapons' potentials.
  6. I really like the setting and it's not at all overly cute.
  7. No, the game even gives you a warning if you try to proceed through the story without doing all of the sidequests. I don't think there are any other missable items.

archnemesis said:
[*]A lot of good RPGs are received poorly by the mainstream gaming media. You're usually better off reading reviews from RPG centric sites such as RPGamer and RPGFan.

The most skilled players will be the most accurate at understanding and analyzing a game with complex rules and layouts. A player is not qualified to accurately analyze any game or puzzle beyond their skill level, because they risk misunderstanding the game systems and writing false information about it.

Both RPGamer and RPGfan reviews often state false information like 'grinding is required to progress in this game', usually alongside expressing their frustration and inability to grasp a games combat systems. This is a direct result of their staff often being unqualified to write about the games they are reviewing due to their skill level. This usually happens with their SRPG reviews but sometimes creeps up on traditional RPG reviews as well, despite traditional RPGs being far less complex and difficult on average.

Bebpo

Banned
mjemirzian said:
The most skilled players will be the most accurate at understanding and analyzing a game with complex rules and layouts. A player is not qualified to accurately analyze any game or puzzle beyond their skill level, because they risk misunderstanding the game systems and writing false information about it.

Pleeeease tell me this was sarcastic.

Bebpo said:
Pleeeease tell me this was sarcastic.

Not sarcastic at all. It's a true statement as far as difficulty/complexity goes. It doesn't apply to reviewing a games plot and characters, of course.

Here's a review of the game I pulled from metacritic that shows what happens when a player attempts to review a game that is beyond their skill level. Note the false claims of being forced to grind and expressions of frustration. This reviewer is clearly not qualified to review Resonance of Fate. In addition, such a player is incapable of offering truly constructive criticism about a games systems, because they cannot understand how it works in the first place.

http://www.gamerevolution.com/review/ps3/resonance of fate

mjemirzian said:
Not sarcastic at all. It's a true statement as far as difficulty/complexity goes. It doesn't apply to reviewing a games plot and characters, of course.

Here's a review of the game I pulled from metacritic that shows what happens when a player attempts to review a game that is beyond their skill level. Note the false claims of being forced to grind and expressions of frustration. This reviewer is clearly not qualified to review Resonance of Fate. In addition, such a player is incapable of offering truly constructive criticism about a games systems, because they cannot understand how it works in the first place.

http://www.gamerevolution.com/review/ps3/resonance of fate

I don't think you understand the point of reviews. Not everyone looking to buy the game is a pro, so not every review needs to be written like the only audience is the hardcore RPG fan who loves complex systems.

If you can't filter out the reviews that don't apply to your tastes, then I think reading comprehension might be beyond your skill level.

Absoludacrous said:
Not everyone looking to buy the game is a pro, so not every review needs to be written like the only audience is the hardcore RPG fan

You're drawing the wrong conclusion from your first claim. Perception of a games difficulty is subjective, but a games strategic depth and difficulty can still be objectively analyzed. A skilled player will be better at gauging level of skill the game requires. They can then state which audience of player skill levels will find the difficulty to be appropriate, regardless of how the reviewer feels about the games skill level. Whether the game is simple and easy or complex, the reader will have an accurate idea of whether the game is suited for them. A player who isn't skilled enough to understand a games mechanics will fail at such a task.

Absoludacrous said:
If you can't filter out the reviews that don't apply to your tastes, then I think reading comprehension might be beyond your skill level.

Oh boy, a childish, unprovoked, and flippant insult. Shots fired, etc. I'm just shocked at the behavior of some people on the internet.

Lime

It's funny how the concept art hasn't translated very well to the actual game. There's that Tri-Ace doll look instead of the human/biological look of the concept art (see Leanne's concept art).

duckroll said:
http://blog.eoe.sega.jp/sega-staff/entry_2142/

End of Eternity Design Works (artbook)

Out on 11th June 2010 in Japan, 176 pages, 2800yen.

Wow damn, looks like I'll have to pass on that. It looks so ... I dunno, off-style?

Ashkeloth said:
So... I keep seeing this thread popping up on the front page now and then, and I've developed a strange intrigue about this game.

A few (sort of specific) questions before I blow my money on this game:

1. I've read some stuff about custom clothing and stuff like that in this game. How deep is that stuff? are there many outfits and do they effect your stats, or are they just for show?
Do you create a character and then are only able to customise them, or are you given a pre-determined party and can change them up at will?

2. I keep reading about this games difficulty. Is it unfair levels of difficulty that make the game unfun to play, or is it something that can be overcome with grinding or good strategy?

3. Speaking of grind, how much of it does this game have? I have a bit of OCD when it comes to maxing out my characters in RPGs at the end, just before the final boss, but I generally don't like having to grind mid-game.

4. The metacritic score for this game is pretty low compared to the games I usually buy. Is there any reason for this, or is it just weak-ass reviewers bitching about how hard it is, or how the characters wield guns but aren't bald space marines?

5. I've also seen a few screens of something looking like weapon customization. Is that very deep, and can it change your playstyle up a bit, or is it one of those railroad things where you just equip the newest available part and you go from having a handgun at the beginning of the game to a portable death star by the end?

6. This game looks like it has a sort of western setting with the whole, almost steampunk thing going on. Is it executed well, or is it just a bunch of japanese style characters dumped into a western world design? In other words, will characters be screaming out the name of their attacks and preaching about how important friendship is?

7. Are there any easy missables that stop me from getting something important? I don't mind using a guide as reference for missables, but I don't want to be referencing it every 2 minutes.

1. You get two outfit types per character (for a long while). Adventure-like gear, and casual-wear. New purchases are mostly just texture-map changes. But it is enough to make it look quite different.
No stats involved with outfits. They're totally just for fun. They do show up in all cutscenes.
Customizations are for your guns. And it's a whole lot of fun and crazy stuff, and drastically affects your performance in the game. (absolutely crucial to customize and know what you're doing)

2. It's a steep learning curve. Starts off pretty unfair, but with skill and familiarity, you can win. Grinding does little in this game, and isn't really needed either.

3. You can grind whenever you want, but you won't have to, ever. Near the end, there are some more difficult fights that you may want to grind for, but it's not too time consuming. Just do all the side-quests and you'll be fine.

4. weak-ass reviewers bitching. Don't listen to anyone else otherwise.

5. Weapon customization is fairly deep, involving, and crucial. I loved it.

6. There is no J-blob plot or anime character behavior. Think Cowboy Bebop. Very cool and collected. Play the game with dub. It's quite good. (and I'm usually in favor of sub).

7. Whenever you advance to the next chapter, all the uncompleted sidequests are gone. However, you control when to advance, and the game will always tell you if you missed a sidequest, so no missables unless you willfully say "yes, continue".

So what are you waiting for? GO BUY THIS GAME NAO!!!

radiantdreamer said:
Grinding does little in this game, and isn't really needed either.

Actually setting up XP multipliers in the arena and grinding to lv 96+ lets you break the game with 100% full scratch/stun.

dramatis

radiantdreamer said:
Wow damn, looks like I'll have to pass on that. It looks so ... I dunno, off-style?

Not so much 'off-style' as very different from the 3d turnout. You can see where it resembles the final from the concept.

2nh16i9.jpg

mjemirzian said:
Actually setting up XP multipliers in the arena and grinding to lv 96+ lets you break the game with 100% full scratch/stun.

yes, *break* is the keyword here. You don't need to break the game to beat it.

My machine guns were at around level 50 when I got to the last boss. All I did was the hero action to tri attack strategy, and beat it with the 4 resonance charges I had.

So, the game has been out for a couple or so months. What the census on this game?

Wanted to pick it up around launch, but got distracted with other games.

Is it worth a purchase?

Labombadog said:
Is it worth a purchase?
It's currently tied for my Game of the Year. Far ahead of other RPGs such as Final Fantasy XIII, Mass Effect 2, Infinite Space, Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, and Nier.

garath

Just picked up the game over the weekend. Loving it. The learning curve was abrupt but doable. I suspect all my reading about the game eased the combat aspect. I really do think I "get it" but we'll see. I'm only in chapter 1 about to hit the first dungeon.

I am hooked though.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Final chapter, just gonna wrap up the last few subquests and then go balls-to-the-wall at the Arena. I have these terminals linked: 1.5X EXP, charge time speed 2x, rare item drop, luck up 1.5X... and a double effect. So hopefully that will make grinding go by fast as hell. Ideally by the end of next weekend I will be done with the game and everything except the "second playthrough" trophy.

This is still GOTY for me. Kinda curious to see how this will all wrap up, then it's time to hit up analysis of the actual plot.

I just finished chapter 4 and so far I love this game! The damn Tortoise fight took me 20 tries but I wasn't doing it the right way and Leanna was low on health so I kept losing 2-3 hero gauges a fight. It was crazy too because everything up to that point had been so easy I was thinking the game would pose no challenge. I've figured out all of the basic moves I need to but I've still having issue setting up and executing a proper tri attack.
So far I love the setting, the characters and dialog are good (not great but not annoying), I love the combat and customization and the over-world hex system is pretty fun. I don't think it's perfect but what can I compare this game to since it's very unique IMO.
I'd say it's an 8.5/10 right now but if I like where the story goes this will be the best RPG so far this year.

If anyone saw the other thread I made, I'm looking forward to talking to GS guy again and telling him I thought he was dead wrong about the game.

Sacha

45 hours, all side quests done, chapter 16, only the last dungeon left. I went through the last three chapters relatively easily, but I can't win the
Gargliano
fight. I guess a bit more customization and grinding should do the trick, but how hard are the very last fights ? I've got Zephyr 67, Vashyron and Leanne ~62. I'm not too keen on the idea of grinding for hours. :(

Yoshiya

Sacha said:
45 hours, all side quests done, chapter 16, only the last dungeon left. I went through the last three chapters relatively easily, but I can't win the
Gargliano
fight. I guess a bit more customization and grinding should do the trick, but how hard are the very last fights ? I've got Zephyr 67, Vashyron and Leanne ~62. I'm not too keen on the idea of grinding for hours. :(

I didn't find the sub-bosses in the final dungeon to be particularly difficult, but the final battle is a significant spike in challenge. I had to grind up to the 80+ range to scrape through (87V, 85L, 77Z iirc), and even then it was an extremely close fight, only succeeding after a switch to extremely aggressive tactics to mimimise the chance of a near one hit kill on Zephyr. A tough but satisfying final boss.

Edit:
djtiesto said:
Final chapter, just gonna wrap up the last few subquests and then go balls-to-the-wall at the Arena. I have these terminals linked: 1.5X EXP, charge time speed 2x, rare item drop, luck up 1.5X... and a double effect. So hopefully that will make grinding go by fast as hell. Ideally by the end of next weekend I will be done with the game and everything except the "second playthrough" trophy.

If the bonus dungeon
Neverland
is anything like the Seraphic Gate of Valkyrie Profile 2 you'll be looking at many, many hours of grinding to be anywhere close to beating it. Unless you played through the main game in a couple of days I'd give up hope of completing the dungeon within a week. One video I saw of this game's bonus
true
final boss had the player struggling to take it down with each character at Lvl 300. Personally, I didn't bother this time around, not worth the time invested for comparitively little gain.

Sacha said:
Gargliano
It's difficult to know whether you'd need to grind from that, as this game's not so much about HP when levelling. If Vashyron is level 62 (21/21/20) then it'll be much harder than if he's level 62 (with a level 60 MG) for example.

Sacha

toythatkills said:
It's difficult to know whether you'd need to grind from that, as this game's not so much about HP when levelling. If Vashyron is level 62 (21/21/20) then it'll be much harder than if he's level 62 (with a level 60 MG) for example.

Oh, yeah. Everyone is around level 30 on their main weapon. I guess I'm in for some grinding.

Yoshiya

toythatkills said:

On my playthrough I found that, ultimately the difference between success and failure against
Rowan and his poison spewing friends
was a more efficent gun configuration. Even so, if you're unable to defeat the easiest of the final dungeon enemies you have no hope of taking on the rest in your current condition. Grind, and make sure to maximise your scratch damage output in as few turns as possible (I found a single dual MG user to work wonders). Have a healer (I used Zephyr) and a dual HG user to break/stun every other turn.

garath

So what about these gold and silver chips I keep getting for smackdowns and bonus hits? Are these just money or are they items that can be traded in at the arena or something?

I'm still early in the game - chapter 4 I believe.

dramatis

Sacha said:
Gargliano

How'd you get that all done in 45 hours? I did everything you did, except I beat
Gargliano
, but then I chickened out and left the dungeon. And I'm about average 10 levels above you, I'm nearing 80 hours :lol

I think I'm in the final dungeon, but I can't say for sure. I already guessed I would need to farm materials to get better gun parts, hence the chickening out.

MechaX

Just completed most of the major stuff for Chapter 10. I think I'm ridiculously overleveled at this point (my party is at level 63), which I blame on futile attempts to actually keep up on the Arena (So boring...). While there was a pretty interesting revelation in this chapter concerning
Zephyr and his slaughter in the Chapel
, when does the story really start to pick up?

Sacha

dramatis said:
How'd you get that all done in 45 hours? I did everything you did, except I beat
Gargliano
, but then I chickened out and left the dungeon. And I'm about average 10 levels above you, I'm nearing 80 hours :lol

I think I'm in the final dungeon, but I can't say for sure. I already guessed I would need to farm materials to get better gun parts, hence the chickening out.

Haha, I tend to rush through games unless I want the Platinum trophy. I don't like wasting time, there are so many games to play. :lol In RoF's case, I skipped a lot of random battles and I'm just at rank 29 in the arena. But that doesn't mean I don't enjoy it, it's a great RPG even if the story isn't really there. The battle system kind of reminds me of The Last Remnant, I finished it on PC but I'm still hoping for a PS3 version. Even if Kawazu said they abandoned it... :(

MechaX said:
Just completed most of the major stuff for Chapter 10. I think I'm ridiculously overleveled at this point (my party is at level 63), which I blame on futile attempts to actually keep up on the Arena (So boring...). While there was a pretty interesting revelation in this chapter concerning
Zephyr and his slaughter in the Chapel
, when does the story really start to pick up?

The story never picked up for me.

Lime

Finished it yesterday. Terrible execution of the story - everything was so ridiculous and esoteric. And when I finished it, everything felt so meaningless.

But the gameplay was excellent. I never really go back to games that feel purposeless or without reason for doing what your characters are doing, but the battle system was really interesting. And the difficulty issue is non-existent. I never had any problems whatsoever.

MjFrancis

Currently on Chapter 9, with thirty-something hours invested, all side-quests completed to this point, arena completed (starred) through level 13. My characters stats are approximately:

Vashyron 40 11/23/6
Zephyr 44 26/15/6
Leanne 37 17/9/11

Vashyron is my MG guy, Zephyr is my dual-wielding pistol character and Leanne... well, she contributes. I may want to grind through the arena just a little bit to get her stats up since it seems
she leaves the party for too many chapters.

I seem to have grasped most of the basics at around twelve hours, and I finally figured out how to competently mod my weapons at around twenty-five hours. I'm thoroughly enjoying the combat system, but it doesn't seem to incorporate as much variety as I was expecting. My combat strategies have been relatively straightforward, though I'm completing everything as I go so I may be leveled a little high. My advice for anyone wishing for a more difficult game is to avoid the arena altogether!

And where oh where can I get more armor-piercing rounds? They are standard equipment for boss battles. For the battle at the end of chapter 8,
I alternated between armor-piercing MG fire and dual-wielding pistol attacks and ended the battle with six total turns. These rounds are the closest thing to a win button I've found in this game!
If anyone knows where I get more, I would be glad to know since I only have nine left, and I can't remember how or where I got any of them.

MjFrancis said:
And where oh where can I get more armor-piercing rounds? They are standard equipment for boss battles. For the battle at the end of chapter 8,
I alternated between armor-piercing MG fire and dual-wielding pistol attacks and ended the battle with six total turns. These rounds are the closest thing to a win button I've found in this game!
If anyone knows where I get more, I would be glad to know since I only have nine left, and I can't remember how or where I got any of them.
Aside from finding them on the world map occasionally, you can buy them from the arena, though you'll need to get up to rank 23/24 to do so. That's the only place though

MjFrancis

Thanks, I needed up Leanne's stats a bit anyhow. Back to the Arena for me!
mjemirzian said:
Perception of a games difficulty is subjective, but a games strategic depth and difficulty can still be objectively analyzed. A skilled player will be better at gauging level of skill the game requires. They can then state which audience of player skill levels will find the difficulty to be appropriate, regardless of how the reviewer feels about the games skill level. Whether the game is simple and easy or complex, the reader will have an accurate idea of whether the game is suited for them. A player who isn't skilled enough to understand a games mechanics will fail at such a task.
Solid advice all around. Being an expert isn't a prerequisite for enjoying a game, but it certainly is for reviewing one.

I wouldn't call myself an expert on JRPG's, but Resonance of Fate is one of my favorite thus far. Of the previous three I played, I only bothered to complete one - Enchanted Arms. Horrendous story on that one, too! I played it through because I enjoyed the battle system, which is 75% of a JRPG anyway. Resonance of Fate is much more difficult as far as games in the genre go, though I have to qualify that most of it's peers weren't incredibly difficult in the first place. Like most JRPG's, you can always grind your way to success if you don't feel like delving into the intricacies of the game mechanics.

The story is actually quite amusing, too. It had been stated previously in this thread that it reminded someone of Cowboy Bebop; I thought the same thing. There's hints of a grand scheme at play, but it's not the focus of the narrative.

So I started playing this yesterday. Played like 1,5 hours.

Art style is godly. Not completely getting the combat, the tutorial seems to be pretty bad. But I guess the game teaches you more when progressing in the story (Some parts in the battle arena are grayed out)

Could be good. Graphics are a bit washed out/jaggy (360) Art style is the best I've seen in an RPG this gen.

djtiesto

Grinding the Arena currently... 30 down, 20 more to go. I stepped inside Neverland and got my ASS WHOOPED by the first Tar Man enemy I came across.

MjFrancis

Currently on Chapter 12, character stats are:

Vashyron 49 13/30/6
Zephyr 49 27/16/6
Leanne 54 23/13/13

Zephyr's one-on-one fight was absolutely brutal until I figured it out! The game seems to assume that he is your MG guy, but at least I had enough bezel shards to accumulate the necessary scratch damage. Barely.

I'm on level 25 on the Arena. I think it was 25-3 really threw me off at first, I wasn't expecting such a challenge! I don't think I will be able to link any green hexes to the Arena from any of the experience multiplier stations. I'm still almost 180 hexes short this late in the game, by the time I grind the hexes all my characters will already be at or above 100 exp.

dramatis

MjFrancis said:
Currently on Chapter 12, character stats are:

Vashyron 49 13/30/6
Zephyr 49 27/16/6
Leanne 54 23/13/13

Zephyr's one-on-one fight was absolutely brutal until I figured it out! The game seems to assume that he is your MG guy, but at least I had enough bezel shards to accumulate the necessary scratch damage. Barely.

I'm on level 25 on the Arena. I think it was 25-3 really threw me off at first, I wasn't expecting such a challenge! I don't think I will be able to link any green hexes to the Arena from any of the experience multiplier stations. I'm still almost 180 hexes short this late in the game, by the time I grind the hexes all my characters will already be at or above 100 exp.

You can do the Arena on the side, the easiest hexes to connect there are the straight blue ones, but I did Arena up to the golds without terminal effects. Do one or two ranks in between missions if you don't want to grind hexes.

MjFrancis

Yeah, I've been getting blue hexes like candy lately, but I haven't used one of them yet. I should check how many I have, it might be more feasible to lay those down over the green hexes. It would be a shame to have wasted so many green hexes, though!

I've been relatively consistent about doing a couple levels of the Arena every chapter. I'm almost halfway through, but I'm not wore out on it. I was certainly able to up Leanne's levels like crazy, since she isn't specialized in MG or HG like my other party members.

The first boss is kicking my ass. Holy shit, what kind of difficulty spike is that? The tutorials are horrible! I love setting and art direction, but if the gameplay continues to suck I will sell this game soon.

zoku88

I finally ordered this yesterday.hopefully this game is actually good. I'm hyped for it at least.

I actually a bit at PAX a while ago but I will sucked at it. Hopefully I don't end up sucking st the full game lol

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
schennmu said:
The first boss is kicking my ass. Holy shit, what kind of difficulty spike is that? The tutorials are horrible! I love setting and art direction, but if the gameplay continues to suck I will sell this game soon.

I remember just getting kind of lucky on this one. I had to deal a ton of scratch damage and then destroy that oil well while he was standing above it to kill him. At least, I think that's what I did.

MjFrancis

I died a few times on the first boss. The difficulty level subsides after you become acquainted with the way combat works, but then it tends to spike upwards from time to time. This game is not a walk in the park; strategy is required, even if it's a very specific strategy that you don't deviate from very often.

MjFrancis said:
I died a few times on the first boss. The difficulty level subsides after you become acquainted with the way combat works, but then it tends to spike upwards from time to time. This game is not a walk in the park; strategy is required, even if it's a very specific strategy that you don't deviate from very often.

Yeah, I finally beat him after getting a grip on the hero actions.

Overall the fights are too tactical for me, I expected it to have a more classical RPG battle system. But that's my fault of course.

Mo0

schennmu said:
Yeah, I finally beat him after getting a grip on the hero actions.

Overall the fights are too tactical for me, I expected it to have a more classical RPG battle system. But that's my fault of course.

The farther you get, the less tactical they start to feel. Once you get more Hero Points and you stop having to worry so much about whether or not a Hero Action will restore a point, you can hang back a bit strategy wise.

Bosses still require some clever thinking (or brute force), but regular fights stop feeling as difficult the farther you make it into the game.

MechaX

Just finished the game with about 45 hours on the clock having completed all of the optional quests. In short... eh. Definitely better than tri-Ace's past efforts but it still suffers from some key flaws.

How the story was handled was my biggest complaint. Being mostly episodic is one thing: being purposely vague is something else entirely. Most often than not, the game develops the characters in a way that almost reaches a level of goodness but it usually skimps out on the one key piece needed to put everything together. Don't get me wrong into thinking that I wish the game spoon-fed the plot to you, but the way this game handles the plot is like trying to solve a murder mystery with no suspects/no clues. For example (this comes up in Chapter... 13-ish or 12 I think),
we can infer that Zephyr pulled a Columbine on his orphanage. Why did he do it? He was either angsty about stuff or, according to some fan discussion and speculation on the subject, he was an experiment. ... Okay, talk about something that never comes up in-game. Hell, they could have dropped in a file that vaguely alluded to these "experiments" and it would have still given players some kind of clue to piece things together themselves without relying on the game to do it entirely.

And the ending...
"Everybody lives again! Why? Because... ... because Zenith did it! What's Zenith? It... uh.. controls the life-span of humans because human lives are tied to these crystals in some mines. Uh... HOW? Oh yeah, you'll never get not even a hint on what the fuck silver-hair guy was doing in the entire game, what his vampire loli was all about, how it killed Vashyron and why he miraculously survives, what Zenith is and why it seemingly resurrects people, etc, etc."

The gameplay could have been something to remember, but I think my problem is that I got over the learning curve of the game through the demo alone. Unfortunately, while you can upgrade guns, there's nothing like the skill system or the 10-20 different attacks for each character that does different things like in Valkyrie Profile 2. Without that, the battles get samey real fast outside of a couple of exceptions: SMG person goes first and hero runs right, person on the far right runs left, guy left behind runs straight then back to where he was , set up a 4-chain Resonance attack by doing this, own everyone on the battle. Repeat. The balance gets pretty wonky when you're able to wield dual SMGs; One SMG cannot even do much of anything mid way in the game, but dual SMGs can full scratch damage almost every enemy. I was doing the same thing for the final boss that I did with the first boss, only the first boss went down a bit quicker.

So about the 25 hour mark, the battle system started getting really boring for me, and it doesn't help that you're mostly fighting gangster palette swaps, dogs, and gremlins. When you get the occasional enemy that can one-hit KO a character, then you'll have to start some actual planning. But those battles are very far and few between the other pastries you have to fight in the game.

I didn't hate the game by any means, but the game started to get pretty pointless in the second half for me.

Mo0 said:
The farther you get, the less tactical they start to feel. Once you get more Hero Points and you stop having to worry so much about whether or not a Hero Action will restore a point, you can hang back a bit strategy wise.

Bosses still require some clever thinking (or brute force), but regular fights stop feeling as difficult the farther you make it into the game.

I'm a bit further now (unlocked b-clothing) and I'm finally starting to really like the game.
It does an extremely poor job of explaining the game mechanics in the tutorial/manual, but expects the player to master it very early on in the game. Once you get over that, (and shake off the whining most easy games nowadays teach you) it feels very rewarding and is tons of fun. I need to play more, but there are a lot of things to like about it.

And it basically looks like the render backgrounds from 32-bit Final Fantasy games and that's just awesome.

djtiesto

Finally completed and starred every rank in the Arena... just have to beat
Neverland
(hopefully with character levels in the 250, 225, 220 range it won't be a prob) and then I'm finally done with the game. Will probably go back later for my second replay trophy. The Arena got waaay too grindy if you are trying to get the achievement/trophy though.

I've had this game for months with no real interest in playing it, I figured it was just another Tri-Ace game like InfUn...holy shit was I wrong. This is possibly one of the finest games I've ever played, the music is fantastic, the settings are really nice and art style is actually interesting! I love it.

trejo

Hey guys, so I finally started playing this last night for about an hour and a half.

And holy shit! I have absolutely no idea whatsoever what the hell I'm doing. I went through every tutorial at the arena and only through sheer dumb luck was I able to clear some of them.

I honestly cannot wrap my mind around some of these systems. Will I be able to see the light at some point or am I just that fucking dumb?

Top Bottom