• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resonance of Fate |OT| John Woo RPG Action and Small Racks

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Well, I'm ready to start this game in a few hours... biiiiiig tri-Ace fan here (yes, even SO4), looking forward to playing. But, about this soul-crushing difficulty and challenge I've been hearing about... any advice for a person just about to start the game? Thanks.

Let me in

Sega sent me a promo copy that I won in a contest -- thanks SEGA! I'm a few hours in, as well. It's difficult. This isn't a button masher.

So far, I've learned it's important where your characters attack from and where they land. Group all of them together and you're done.

Make good use of the hero actions. I'd played the demo, but forgot they were there. Got my ass handed to me before I remembered :lol

The game makes you learn what it has included. I've got to learn how to do a tri-attack, because it seems like I won't be getting much further without it. The game gives you techniques and expects you to use them.

So far I am loving the music, too. I'm glad it's not Sakuraba-exclusive. Kohei Tanaka really does some nice work.

zurra

if you're a big tri-Ace fan and have made it through their previous games without any major problems (particularly VP2) that'll go a long way here... if you haven't had much trouble breaking their battle systems before, that's a big help. do the tutorial and die a few times, you'll be whipped into shape pretty quick!

Manaka

Took until the end of chapter 2 for me to fully understand the battle system, but since then it's nonstop awesome.

Can't believe people really think it's hard- dying usually involves some stupid mistakes not the game being unfair.
Also I just found out how easy it is to level up your characters- in the beginning of chapter 3 I went from level 7 to 15 in 20 minutes :lol

djtiesto

Just did the tutorial in the arena, and played through most of Ch 1... getting the hang of things (even though both Smackdowns and Bonus Hits were poorly explained in the tutorial... had to look in the guide for that). Getting the hang of it, only question is:

Should I be using Hero Actions as much as possible, till they deplete? What's the best way to kill guys on a non-hero-action move? Seems the enemies hit me and interrupt my charging before I have a chance to attack.

I used hero actions and tri attacks for 98 per cent of the time. You'll regain action points whenever you kill an enemy or destroy a body part, so there are no reasons to not use it as often as possible.

How to use tri attacks: one, and two.

Edit: Keep an eye on the enemy's charge gauge if you're not using hero actions. He'll attack when it's full, so make sure to fire off your attack before that.

Aaron

djtiesto said:
Should I be using Hero Actions as much as possible, till they deplete? What's the best way to kill guys on a non-hero-action move? Seems the enemies hit me and interrupt my charging before I have a chance to attack.
Don't deplete them or you go critical. The best way to kill an enemy without them is to have one character close to the enemy, so that'll be his target. You shoot with the hero that's further away, so he can get a full shot off without being interrupted. Usually a full charge will cancel the enemy's attack, so he won't get to shoot at all. Like all enemies, soften with MG and kill with HG. Learning their vulnerable spots helps naturally, as well as using cover. Some enemies won't approach you at all until you get near them or shoot them.

Sallokin

What is with the amount of times this game fucking locks up on me? I've just lost an entire dungeons worth of grinding because this game locks up every single fucking time I go to a load screen. /rage.

I've installed it to the 360 hard drive and everything and nothing seems to work, what gives? Am I the only one experiencing this? I haven't really seen mention of it online. Stupid launch 360.

Bebpo

Banned
Sallokin said:
What is with the amount of times this game fucking locks up on me? I've just lost an entire dungeons worth of grinding because this game locks up every single fucking time I go to a load screen. /rage.

I've installed it to the 360 hard drive and everything and nothing seems to work, what gives? Am I the only one experiencing this? I haven't really seen mention of it online. Stupid launch 360.

It's tri-ace, bugs are expected. Though if it's constant it's probably your X360. My launch X360 didn't like specific games like Lost Planet where it would freeze 40 mins into a level right before the boss fight! :|

I only hit one freeze on the PS3 version.

Sallokin

Bebpo said:
It's tri-ace, bugs are expected. Though if it's constant it's probably your X360. My launch X360 didn't like specific games like Lost Planet where it would freeze 40 mins into a level right before the boss fight! :|

I only hit one freeze on the PS3 version.

It only seems to happen during transitions from the dungeons/towns to the hex field. Since not many people seem to be talking about it, I'm going to go ahead and assume it's my 360. Maybe it's time to upgrade to an elite lol.

Aaron

Sallokin said:
It only seems to happen during transitions from the dungeons/towns to the hex field. Since not many people seem to be talking about it, I'm going to go ahead and assume it's my 360. Maybe it's time to upgrade to an elite lol.
It's your machine. I've played 30+ hours with not a single lock up or crash.

Sallokin

Aaron said:
It's your machine. I've played 30+ hours with not a single lock up or crash.

Thanks for chiming in. I'm thinking you're right.

Quick question. I'm fixing to head into the Forest of Idols and I'm having a bit of trouble with the terminals. I currently have all the of the surrounding terminals linked, and they are all linked to the Forest with yellow hex pieces. I'm not getting the option to view the combined effects before I enter the dungeon. What exactly am I doing wrong?

Aaron

Sallokin said:
Thanks for chiming in. I'm thinking you're right.

Quick question. I'm fixing to head into the Forest of Idols and I'm having a bit of trouble with the terminals. I currently have all the of the surrounding terminals linked, and they are all linked to the Forest with yellow hex pieces. I'm not getting the option to view the combined effects before I enter the dungeon. What exactly am I doing wrong?
The more terminals you link, the higher the cost of activation. Remove a terminal or two you don't want.

Sallokin

Aaron said:
The more terminals you link, the higher the cost of activation. Remove a terminal or two you don't want.

Sweet, will give it a look see when I jump on later. I'm assuming that's what the numbers above the terminals represent. Thanks for the heads up.

djtiesto

I don't quite understand the concept of linking terminals... anybody care to sum it up quickly for me? Thanks!

Also, I think I need to start switching up my weapons to level up some more. Each character of mine is only proficient in one weapon. May be an easy chance to gain a few levels.

TheChaos

djtiesto said:
I don't quite understand the concept of linking terminals... anybody care to sum it up quickly for me? Thanks!

Also, I think I need to start switching up my weapons to level up some more. Each character of mine is only proficient in one weapon. May be an easy chance to gain a few levels.

Note that you can buy Grenades in Chapter 4 (I think), so conserve them until then, some of them will make bosses much easier (especially the fire grenades).

Bebpo

Banned
djtiesto said:

Run colored hexes from a terminal (any color is fine but you can't connect a colored hex from a non-colored hex. So you have to either start your colored hex chain from a location you uncovered with a colored hex or what's better is to just place a station hex of the color that you want to use nearby and go from there). The hexes that connect to the terminal will get the effect of the terminal.

But to turn on a terminal you need to connect a certain amount of hexes. For instance if it says 8/60 then it means you have 8 hexes connected to the terminal and it needs 60 hexes to activate the effect. Once activated the effect works on all linked hexes of that color.

You can stack the terminals as well by linking to more than one, but then the amount you need to activate them increases as well (for instance a 0/60 terminal and 0/40 terminal would become 0/100 when connected).

But by linking terminals you can do things like:
-Exp x 1.5 + 2x terminal effects = Exp x 3
or have Exp x 1.5 & Drop rate x 2 together.

Sallokin

Bebpo said:
Explanation.

Thanks for summing that up. I know I had a hard time figuring out the bit about multiple terminals adding up even though it would seem like it's clear as day.

Anyway, I find myself really loving this game. I'm only about halfway through, but I think I like it more than any other Tri-Ace offering this generation.

Aaron

TheChaos said:
Note that you can buy Grenades in Chapter 4 (I think), so conserve them until then, some of them will make bosses much easier (especially the fire grenades).
I never conserved grenades. If you uncover hexes, you'll have more than enough until you can make them... and I never needed to make them.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Well I'm on the final chapter. Man this one's been a long haul. I still can't use Tri-Attacks effectively, but that's because I fail at positioning my characters right so that they're equidistant.

Chapter 13's required "battle" might be the most awesome thing ever. :p

Lime

I'm in Chapter 10 now and my characters are at 56/57/56 now. And after maybe chapter 5, the game has been a breeze. It isn't as difficult as I thought and I've just now been able to do Tri-Attack continuously.

But I will see how tough the game gets when I encounter Direct Damage-dealing enemies.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Just got this game in yesterday, and wow does this really use Bink video? It doesn't look terrible like the 360 FFXIII FMV/Pre-Renedered scenes. Having good fun so far, got a bit confused on how to get the cafe, but a quick change of perspective on the hex grid changed that. :lol Good stuff, and now I'll go back to playing for a couple of more hours. ;D

Most cutscenes are in game also has the added benefit of your characters wearing the custom clothing you've given them.

Hmmm... do the C costumes look incredibly hilarious during cutscenes? I haven't unlocked C costumes yet though. I'd like to see C costumes in youtube clips.

djtiesto

On Chapter 4 now, I've been following the official guide's checklist of things to do (I am... OCD about missables :p), so I did all the subquests, red tiles, and arena stuffs... and now on to the main quest of the chapter. Still in absolute love with the game, this may be the best RPG I played all generation. I love how you need to find the right positions to take enemies out. Question - do you ever get more than one Machine Gun/Grenade Box?

Girlfriend is out of town this weekend, so I'll have some time to play Saturday and all day Sunday. REALLY looking forward to a nice 4 day Memorial Day weekend next week... gonna put some serious hours into it... that is if Galaxy 2 doesn't distract me too much.

There's only one ammo box and one grenade box, but you can however find more handguns and machine guns. You should be able to reach the second MG pretty soon.

RurouniZel

Okay. I am never... ever.... trying this hard to beat a game ever again. I spent the last 10 hours just trying to beat the final boss, finally doing so just now. And by this point no ending, no matter how amazing, could justify it. If I weren't such a "I need to complete this at least once" whore I'd have stopped at the final boss and left it be. Or ages ago, I dunno. >.< The ending resolved a whole lot of nothing, and god that ending FMV after the credits looked horrible, they should have stuck to the ingame engine!

And frankly, I still can't make sense of the story. What exactly was the main villain trying to accomplish, and why? What was the purpose of the experiments, and why would they need to experiment with that? What's the hell is that little wine drinking girl, and what the fuck purpose does she serve in the story? Why is the other dude taking care of her like she's so goddamn important when she does nothing at all?

I'm really confused, and disappointed.

Bebpo

Banned
Antagonist didn't believe in miracles, but deep down he wanted to. So he tested god(zenith) and a miracle occurs (him and the other cardinals coming back to life; note sacred signs left for each) and main party leaves.

There's a lot more to the backstory and plot but I'm too lazy to write it all now. Maybe duckroll can post a long explanation for it all. The plot makes some sense and it's not bad but it's kind of totally unbelievable and hard to accept for most people.

You have to be able to accept that
you can shoot someone in the face and it does nothing because a miracle occured

RurouniZel said:
Okay. I am never... ever.... trying this hard to beat a game ever again. I spent the last 10 hours just trying to beat the final boss, finally doing so just now. And by this point no ending, no matter how amazing, could justify it. If I weren't such a "I need to complete this at least once" whore I'd have stopped at the final boss and left it be. Or ages ago, I dunno. >.<

err.. just stick to Disgaea?

RurouniZel

mjemirzian said:
err.. just stick to Disgaea?

Well, the problem is that aside from the crushing difficulty (on Normal!) and the vagueness of the story, I absolutely loved everything else about the game. I love the visual aesthetic and artistic design, the story/town/world music (Kohei Tanaka for the win!), the setting, the flow, and the concept behind the battle system. Gun upgrading was also like a kind of fun puzzle game it and of itself.

It's just that the game's programming is extremely punishing to the player unless they do exactly what the game wants them to do. There's very little room for flexibility and alternative approaches, and that's disappointing because I imagine there are quite a lot more RPG fans who would love this game immensely if it was more flexible, especially in the early-going.

In other words:

- If you fight in the exact one way/tactic the game wants you to fight, it will usually be exceedingly easy.
- If you fight any other way or try any other tactics, it smashes you into the ground in the most unforgiving fashion.

And like I said, I loved everything else about the game. Had the game been this punishing and been a lousy piece of shit I wouldn't have bothered making it very far. It's just frustrating when one little detail brings down what would be an incredible experience.

archnemesis said:
There's a story discussion thread over at GameFAQs which sheds some light on some parts of the story.

Are those interpretations, or is that documented somewhere? Because I don't remember seeing any of this in-game. Though it explains a LOT more.

Just beat the boss in Chapter 11..?
Zephyr vs that Cardinal

Can't believe how impossible it was until you find out that all you have to do is shoot him in the back. Fight was over in 2 hero actions. :\

Sacha

Hey GAF, just started Resonance of Fate, loving it so far. The opening video with Zephyr and that girl was quite poetic.

So, I'm at chapter 1, got back from Lucia. Quick questions :

1) Should I start customizing my weapons right away ?

2) Is it recommended to go through all of the side-quests ?

3) Is there any way to recover from critical state ?

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Sacha said:
Hey GAF, just started Resonance of Fate, loving it so far. The opening video with Zephyr and that girl was quite poetic.

So, I'm at chapter 1, got back from Lucia. Quick questions :

1) Should I start customizing my weapons right away ?

2) Is it recommended to go through all of the side-quests ?

3) Is there any way to recover from critical state ?

1. Nah, save the money for clothing!!!! j/k, save money to buy parts later. You get lots of gun parts doing sidequest.

2. YES, do ALL sidequest, there aren't more than 7 per chapter, at times they are less.

3. Grab the silver charts/pieces is the only way, just try to keep moving to regain the scratch damage of your character. Also do not spend all the ACTION BARS, you only recover Action bars when you destroy a piece of armor of a enemy or defeat one.

RurouniZel said:
Well, the problem is that aside from the crushing difficulty (on Normal!) Gun upgrading was also like a kind of fun puzzle game it and of itself.

It's just that the game's programming is extremely punishing to the player unless they do exactly what the game wants them to do. There's very little room for flexibility and alternative approaches, and that's disappointing because I imagine there are quite a lot more RPG fans who would love this game immensely if it was more flexible, especially in the early-going.

In other words:

- If you fight in the exact one way/tactic the game wants you to fight, it will usually be exceedingly easy.
- If you fight any other way or try any other tactics, it smashes you into the ground in the most unforgiving fashion.

Sure the game is above average difficulty relative to other traditional RPGs, but there's not a very high level of strategy involved relative to SRPGs or other strategic games with complex rulesets. There should have been an easy mode to cater to players of all skill levels, though, judging by the complaints.

This game has an above average level of strategic depth to learn, and requires the player to learn most of it to succeed. However like all RPGs you can grind your way out of any challenge.

Games don't get objectively easier or less strategic just because you've mastered them. So that's not a logical statement.

Anyway you're just saying the game needs an easier mode for players who have trouble grasping the strategic depth of the game, so they don't have to learn it and they can do whatever they want instead. Just make sure you know what you're asking for.

Let me in

I just got to the mission Rurouni was complaining about. After failing a few times, I remembered (!) there were pictures of this hell on GAF.

Luckily I figured it out after about 4 tries. If you can get the helicopters to focus on one person, have them stand right next to the platform in the middle. The copters use a much less punishing attack on that person and ignore everyone else, allowing you to alternate between MG and HG with the other two.

Glad you finally got through it, Rurouni. I was about to cry because I hadn't saved after the CH.6 boss :lol

You know, for the longest time, I had no idea what you guys were talking about in terms of the helicopter thing, and then I realized that I had beaten it a long time ago, but never had any problem. :\

What drives me nuts are those damn tanks that shoot missiles at you. Basically one turn and you lose all your scratch if two tanks decide to target one character. And since my characters have high HP, it immediately puts me in critical condition (I've got a good amount of bezels too).

I made this gif. Thought I'd share it here.
vashyrondance.gif

Puddles

Banned
I don't think I've ever played a Tri-Ace title. I'm down with RPGs, but I'm not down with the uguu shit like in Star Ocean, Eternal Sonata and Infinite Undiscovery.

Is this game better in the story/characters department than those ones?

djtiesto

Still chipping away at the game, just made it to Ch 14. And the game still is incredible, even if the narrative didn't get as serious and heavy handed as I was expecting. Hope to finish the game aside from the Arena/Bonus Dungeon by the end of the weekend...

Which, speaking of which... anyone have any good tips for grinding/surviving the bonus dungeon? Or interesting weapon part combinations?

Finished the game at about 73hrs. The only thing I didn't clear is Neverland.
Game rocks my socks off.

But the story makes no sense to me. I was reading a few of those plot threads on gamefaqs and whatnot, and am mind blown at how much story is embedded in the small details, like talking to the townspeople, certain phrases that are said throughout the story. I am boggled.

Ashkeloth

So... I keep seeing this thread popping up on the front page now and then, and I've developed a strange intrigue about this game.

A few (sort of specific) questions before I blow my money on this game:

1. I've read some stuff about custom clothing and stuff like that in this game. How deep is that stuff? are there many outfits and do they effect your stats, or are they just for show?
Do you create a character and then are only able to customise them, or are you given a pre-determined party and can change them up at will?

2. I keep reading about this games difficulty. Is it unfair levels of difficulty that make the game unfun to play, or is it something that can be overcome with grinding or good strategy?

3. Speaking of grind, how much of it does this game have? I have a bit of OCD when it comes to maxing out my characters in RPGs at the end, just before the final boss, but I generally don't like having to grind mid-game.

4. The metacritic score for this game is pretty low compared to the games I usually buy. Is there any reason for this, or is it just weak-ass reviewers bitching about how hard it is, or how the characters wield guns but aren't bald space marines?

5. I've also seen a few screens of something looking like weapon customization. Is that very deep, and can it change your playstyle up a bit, or is it one of those railroad things where you just equip the newest available part and you go from having a handgun at the beginning of the game to a portable death star by the end?

6. This game looks like it has a sort of western setting with the whole, almost steampunk thing going on. Is it executed well, or is it just a bunch of japanese style characters dumped into a western world design? In other words, will characters be screaming out the name of their attacks and preaching about how important friendship is?

7. Are there any easy missables that stop me from getting something important? I don't mind using a guide as reference for missables, but I don't want to be referencing it every 2 minutes.

Top Bottom