• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resonance of Fate |OT| John Woo RPG Action and Small Racks

Bebpo

Banned
RurouniZel said:
But see, that's it right there. This game is so hard you practically need an FAQ/Official NeoGAF thread just to understand how the game works at the most basic, fundamental level! This isn't "This one particular fight is hard," like most games, it's the entire gameplay that can be mindboggling infuriating. I'm not some RPG n00b either; been playing RPGs since the NES. I've played my fair share of difficult, strategic RPGs.

As much as I'm liking the game still, it's well beyond difficult.

Even the vast majority of reviews from the so-called experts have sighted the game's non-existant learning curve and punishing difficulty. I think it's safe to say that your supposition is true that gamers who understand how the game works wouldn't say it's difficult. But hell, you could say that for almost any game ever made. With RoF however, the people who don't get it seem to FAR outnumber the people who do.

It is difficult. It's offputting. And it's a shame, because I can see the tender love and care that went into making it. I'm still playing it because I want to get it. But don't pretend this game isn't difficult. It is, even 17 hours in (about where I'm at currently).

-do you have your weapons upgraded with the 2nd stat acceleration being as high as possible?

-Are you dual-wielding MGs and HGs for your main MG guy and HG guy?

-Are you using tri-attacks to take out more than 1 enemy in a single hero action?

-Are you making use of the stun you get on enemies when you do a small charge with HG?

-Are you making sure to let your MG charge to MAX before spraying it near the enemy's body?

Aaron

RurouniZel said:
But see, that's it right there. This game is so hard you practically need an FAQ/Official NeoGAF thread just to understand how the game works at the most basic, fundamental level! This isn't "This one particular fight is hard," like most games, it's the entire gameplay that can be mindboggling infuriating. I'm not some RPG n00b either; been playing RPGs since the NES. I've played my fair share of difficult, strategic RPGs.
Then you shouldn't be having such a hard time, since elements like positioning and luring enemies from a pack still apply. Hero actions are your spells, so naturally don't use those frivolously. The one truly new element is the ability to cancel an enemy's attacks. If you're applying these elements, you should take little damage in almost every fight.

Are you switching the weapons around to level properly? Are you using grenades to level up that portion of the character. Are you uncovering hexes to increase your hero actions? I'm just confused why you would still find this game hard at hour 17. About ten hours in was when I felt I had the jist of things, and I wasn't reading this thread then.

orion434

radiantdreamer said:
I'm at 20-3 right now in the Arena. Does it make more sense to level up the machine gun through there? It seems like you eventually reach an xp cap of 500,000 required to level it up.

Is it a good idea to get more than one character maxed in MG? Leanne's bonuses seem incredibly weak compared to Vash or Zeph.

If you have the EXP Trainer Accessory + 2X Terminal + 1.5X EXP Terminal then 20-3 will be decent to level until you get MG to lv 35 - 40. I got each character to lv 35 MG with that trick... then I played through the Arena normally and leveled it all the way to lv 100. I tackled the Arena during chapter 10 so I had up to Rank 42 open.

I got 100% in Resonance yesterday after a total of 85 hours... my 2nd playthrough was 4 hours and 25 mins on normal. I skipped all cut-scenes except Vashyrons dance sequence :lol always cracks me up and I ran from all non-required battles. Anyone know what is the MAX Hero Action total?

jorgeton

This game is amazing. Bought it last week on a lark, and have spent way too much time playing it this weekend. My final school project is in limbo because of it. My brother, who exclusively plays street fighter and sports games, was also pulled in by its thrall and bought himself a copy today.

The game mechanics take a little bit to click, but after going through the tutorials in the arena and experimenting in combat, I got the whole hero run-to-triattack thing down. It is effing brilliant. I'm fairly early in the game, just got to chapter 3, but have already clocked a good 8 hours.

The game is on the difficult side, but that's a good thing! it keeps it from being boring. i'll take an RPG that challenges me over one I can beat while half asleep (which is about 90% of all jrpgs, really...).

This game needs to be more popular.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Aaron said:
Then you shouldn't be having such a hard time, since elements like positioning and luring enemies from a pack still apply. Hero actions are your spells, so naturally don't use those frivolously. The one truly new element is the ability to cancel an enemy's attacks. If you're applying these elements, you should take little damage in almost every fight.

Are you switching the weapons around to level properly? Are you using grenades to level up that portion of the character. Are you uncovering hexes to increase your hero actions? I'm just confused why you would still find this game hard at hour 17. About ten hours in was when I felt I had the jist of things, and I wasn't reading this thread then.

Obviously there's something that's just not clicking. I've taken some pictures to show what I'm doing, because obviously I must be a complete moron who just sucks at games.

Here's where I currently stand in Chapter 6.

I apologize for the blurriness.

IMG_2631.jpg

Here's my equipment:

IMG_2634.jpg

IMG_2635.jpg

Note how the parameter shows two-handed? I can't get either character to equip two weapons, whether it be two hand guns or one handgun and one machine gun (I don't have 2 MGs to equip, it's not an option at this point as far as I can find in stores/tinkerers...). Never mind that the game bold-faced told me I should do so, I can't seem to equip two weapons to the same character.

IMG_2662.jpg

Great.

Weapon set ups.

IMG_2637.jpg

IMG_2639.jpg

So here we go, let's try one of the missions in my queue.

IMG_2641.jpg

IMG_2642.jpg

IMG_2643.jpg

Okay, two choppers and a fat fuck. Let's do this.

Let's try just shooting without wasting Hero Points and see where that goes.

IMG_2644.jpg

IMG_2645.jpg

Started shooting, but about halfway through I got gunned to holy hell and lost over 80% of my HP in scratch damage. Not a great start.

So then I move Vashyron ever so slightly to take down some of the blue area I just shot and...

IMG_2646.jpg

He gets shot to holy hell too. Note how he doesn't even have enough gauge left to get a shot off with all the damage he took.

IMG_2650.jpg

Tried to get another shot in, lost health and Hero Points. Oops, now it's the enemy's turn! Let's see if they can critical me in one attack!

IMG_2651.jpg

IMG_2663.jpg

IMG_2652.jpg

IMG_2664.jpg

*sigh* Let's try this again.

Let's try a Hero move first!

IMG_2653.jpg

IMG_2654.jpg

Sent Vashyron over to kill blue, and as you can see I got 1 Hero Point back, but it did next to no damage.

IMG_2656.jpg

Enemy's turn! Awww, two attacks and I'm nearly done for already.

IMG_2657.jpg

Going places.

IMG_2660.jpg

IMG_2666.jpg

IMG_2661.jpg

Not lying about the time spent.

Now, obviously I've tried other things (hiding behind the boxes, which did nothing because of the helicopter's ability to fly and all... hell other enemies just run around to get to me anyway...), but this is just frustrating me to no end...

Let me emphasis. I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY want to like this game. I love everything about it EXCEPT the soul-crushing difficulty.

What is it I'm not getting? Why am I so mothing fucking fucked?? Please, I want to see this game to its conclusion!!!

RurouniZel

Alucrid said:
Posts like that are putting me off from getting this game more and more. I like a challenge but not an impossible rpg. :\

So as fate would have it I just beat this battle with some grenades. Now I out of Electric grenades, but you know... >>

But I've run into the above scenario more times than I would like, so clearly there's something I'm just not quite getting about how the game set up works... >.<

lol! You should do some angry video game nerd style commentary. Anyway, I can point out a few things you're doing wrong immediately.

You're not switching weapon types around between party members to level each persons weapon type up evenly. You want everyones MG, HG, and grenade level at about the same level to maximize level gain. Technically you're underleveled because you failed to do this.. this is also why you don't have enough weight limit to dual weild. Your weapon customization sucks, you need more bits and pieces hanging off your gun. Some side quests are above average in difficulty.. but it doesn't help that you're underleveled and your customization is poor.

RurouniZel said:
But see, that's it right there. This game is so hard you practically need an FAQ/Official NeoGAF thread just to understand how the game works at the most basic, fundamental level!

Please don't generalize skill levels saying 'you need this'. The game can be unintuitive, but this isn't quantum physics, dood. Experiment a little.

RurouniZel said:
I've played my fair share of difficult, strategic RPGs.

RPGs aren't relatively strategically difficult in comparison to other genres, but ok.

RurouniZel said:
Even the vast majority of reviews from the so-called experts have sighted the game's non-existant learning curve and punishing difficulty.

That's interesting, can you point out any expert reviews? I'd like to read one.

Hey RurouniZel the reason why you can't equip 2 guns is because their combined weight exceeds your character's maximum weight capacity.

Also, you're in chapter 6 and only have 4 hero bezels? I think I had 6 and was at a similar level and I remember that fight being pretty easy.

RurouniZel

QuantumSingularity said:
Hey RurouniZel the reason why you can't equip 2 guns is because their combined weight exceeds your character's maximum weight capacity.

Also, you're in chapter 6 and only have 4 hero bezels? I think I had 6 and was at a similar level and I remember that fight being pretty easy.

I guess that's why huh...

... guess I'm back to the grind again.

iammeiam

mjemirzian said:
You're not switching weapon types around between party members to level each persons weapon type up evenly. You want everyones MG, HG, and grenade level at about the same level to maximize level gain. Technically you're underleveled because you failed to do this.. this is also why you don't have enough weight limit to dual weild.

This I actually find kind of funny, because I'd actually really advise not grinding excess weapons for bonus HP because it can bite you. Crossing the 1K HP mark early on makes getting hurt pretty brutal, and an 1000 HP Zephyr leveled exclusively on MG is going to be a ton more useful than an 1000 HP Zephyr leveled equally on all three. At the very least, leave a 100 HP buffer between the character and the next 1K mark, otherwise you can end up with a single full-scratch busting all your bezels.

While gun customization is huge (dump all your scopes/barrels onto the MG guy first, totally worth it), I'd also point out that it's a better idea in a 2-character chapter to do the story missions first. The story missions are generally designed with the party makeup in mind, whereas the danger hexes/side quests aren't always balanced for a crippled party. That particular chapter kind of sucks because there's a sidequest reward that makes the main quest easier, but it's totally doable without it (provided you exploit things like knowing which fights you can skip, and where they are in relation to where you can rest and recharge, etc.)

I didn't find the game that hard, for the most part, and based on the thread was probably considered underlevelled for much of it, but I did make it a point to do the danger hexes when I could, for the bezel shards, and would abuse the crap out of Hero Actions.

Little things which may be totally obvious but the game doesn't outright tell you so maybe not, like: Jumping lets you hit an enemy in more than one spot. It's possible to either full-scratch armor and body, or multiple armor pieces, etc, in a single MG run if you jump mid-way. Then have the HG shoot from the ground, first, to get a bezel for breaking armor, then jump and hopefully kill the guy, getting the second bezel back. Repeat. You don't want to jump immediately on the HG because you can hit the body before the armor and wind up missing that extra bezel.

If your MG guy can only half-scratch an opponent, cancel the other character's turn and give the MG guy another chance. Then have HG go in. MG dude, especially early on, needs to abuse the crap out of the ammo case.

Since you can see who's targeted, if they're almost at full scratch skip to their turn and have them hero-action. this gives you a ton of chances to interrupt/stun whoever is aiming at them, plus the time you're running in HA burns off scratch. Additionally, if you can get all enemies focused on them but not ready to fire, you can have the other character calmly pick them off in a non-Hero Action.

The first 'extra' MG can be found in an optional dungeon you can get to starting in Chapter 5; I would heavily suggest picking that up once you have the whole gang back together, and then running 2 MG/one HG until characters are sufficiently able to dual-wield. As long as you plan your hero actions carefully, the MG can usually fully scratch a couple of enemies, then the HG can go in and play clean-up. Plus, since you get to pick the order of attack in Resonance Attacks, you can all but guarantee a couple of KOs per resonance. Later on you can shift both MG to a single person, then run the other two however you like.

iammeiam said:
This I actually find kind of funny, because I'd actually really advise not grinding excess weapons for bonus HP because it can bite you. Crossing the 1K HP mark early on makes getting hurt pretty brutal, and an 1000 HP Zephyr leveled exclusively on MG is going to be a ton more useful than an 1000 HP Zephyr leveled equally on all three. At the very least, leave a 100 HP buffer between the character and the next 1K mark, otherwise you can end up with a single full-scratch busting all your bezels.

Easy solution to that - don't get hit.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
RurouniZel, I love you.

Sad_Panda

QuantumSingularity said:

Yeah, that's definitely the main problem there. The game can get incredibly difficult when enemies have multiples layers of armor, and with only three or four Bezels. Especially if they hit hard. Seems like you haven't done enough sidequests and Basel uncovering, dood.

Also, kudos for the amazing post & pics :lol

IMHO, Resonance of Fate's difficulty has been totally blown out of proportion by reviewers. Sure, it can be challenging, but Demon's Souls, Breath of Fire DQ, SMT Nocturne, or even Persona 3/4 are waaaaaay harder RPGs than RoF. RoF seems awfully difficult at first because of a weird combat system that can take a while to click, which the shitty in-game tutorial doesn't help much to understand. But once you've grasped the basics, and make sure you finish every sidequest and custom your guns properly, the game pretty much becomes a cakewalk, with a few tougher spots here and there. Even Neverland's not much of a challenge, since Lv 100 SMG is beyond broken.

Replicant

-DarKaoZ- said:
You must equip the ITEM BOX (I don't remember how its called) or the BULLET BOX in one of the weapons slots. You can then pick any bullet or item you need during the dungeon with no problem. The only con of this is that you won't be able to have dual HG or MG in that character. But really, you don't need the items, ones you figure out how the system works, you won't even think of using an item, because managing your HERO ACTION BARS is more important and as long as you have them, you won't die.

Easier said than done. Some enemies can actually destroy half or ALL of your bezels with one single bazooka shot. And it's not like it's halfway through the session. It's at the beginning of the battle, where I've only managed to move one of the three characters away from cluster (so when the missile hits, it doesn't hit all three and cause critical condition). And it's not like my characters are chumps. They are at 71/72/71 during that particular mission. It was pure luck that during one of my retries that the enemy didn't fire missile that destroys ALL of the bezels (even though normally it does) so I managed to move the remaining characters away from that one cluster spot where the enemy can hit you right off before you even move.

dramatis

Sad_Panda said:
Yeah, that's definitely the main problem there. The game can get incredibly difficult when enemies have multiples layers of armor, and with only three or four Bezels. Especially if they hit hard. Seems like you haven't done enough sidequests and Basel uncovering, dood.

I don't think you need to finish every sidequest to play the game, even if there are tough spots. I think it's more like he didn't try customizing his weapons for higher crazy.

Moreover, enemies may have multiple layers of armor, but those guys also usually come with one part where they are completely wide open. If you time to hit that spot, or jump to deal spread out damage, usually you can take down one monster in one turn.

Posts like RurouniZel's are less amusing than annoying, because he sounds more like a guy who insists he can play hard games when the game isn't hard and he's just not trying anything outside of the basics.

Ignore the parameter field description for the gun; you can equip 2 as long as you have enough total weight capacity to carry two. "Two-handed" means the character is holding it with two hands.

iammeiam said:
The first 'extra' MG can be found in an optional dungeon you can get to starting in Chapter 5; I would heavily suggest picking that up once you have the whole gang back together, and then running 2 MG/one HG until characters are sufficiently able to dual-wield. As long as you plan your hero actions carefully, the MG can usually fully scratch a couple of enemies, then the HG can go in and play clean-up. Plus, since you get to pick the order of attack in Resonance Attacks, you can all but guarantee a couple of KOs per resonance. Later on you can shift both MG to a single person, then run the other two however you like.

here lies the road to success...

Replicant said:
Easier said than done. Some enemies can actually destroy half or ALL of your bezels with one single bazooka shot. And it's not like it's halfway through the session. It's at the beginning of the battle, where I've only managed to move one of the three characters away from cluster (so when the missile hits, it doesn't hit all three and cause critical condition). And it's not like my characters are chumps. They are at 71/72/71 during that particular mission. It was pure luck that during one of my retries that the enemy didn't fire missile that destroys ALL of the bezels (even though normally it does) so I managed to move the remaining characters away from that one cluster spot where the enemy can hit you right off before you even move.

i know which battle your talking about, &, once i'd quickly separated my characters a little, it wasn't bad. nasty for sure, but that type of encounter was much more the exception than the rule...

Replicant

semiconscious said:
i know which battle your talking about, &, once i'd quickly separated my characters a little, it wasn't bad. nasty for sure, but that type of encounter was much more the exception than the rule...

Yup, this is how it went down:

1. Battle starts. My characters possess 12 bezels with 71/72/71 levels.
2. My turn: I move Zephyr away from original position while shooting SMG w/ Electric bullet (dual wielding just doesn't do much on this enemy so I tried this to slow down his turn), scratching 1/4 of the enemy boss.
3. The enemy's turn: it fired missiles straight at the two remaining characters still standing in the original position before I can even get another turn to move them.
4. ALL remaining bezels (11 bezels) were destroyed and characters went into critical condition.

OR sometimes I got partially lucky and it went like this:

3. Due to the Electric bullet, the enemy slowed down and I managed to move Leanne away from the original spot, firing dual HG.
4. Enemy fires missiles.
5. The missiles hit Vashyron and shattered HALF of my bezels.
6. I cursed at the woman from the clothing shop who gave me this mission. But at least I got something to work on with this.

I generally hate metal-based enemies. But what's worse is organic enemy with metal parts.

Aaron

RurouniZel - Just at the first screen you should see your weapon levels are pretty low. Mix up your weapon use to raise your levels and have more HP to face down enemies. This is probably your main problem. Your HP is pretty low. Bezel count is also low, uncover more hexes. For that particular fight, if you do a layer of damage to the helicopters, through scratch+direct or grenades, they lose their long range attacks. By using that and a combination of cover, it shouldn't be too hard. I took down their chunky allies first and found that made it a little easier. You also definitely want to shoot the helicopters from the air. You'll do more damage.

Replicant said:
Yup, this is how it went down:

1. Battle starts. My characters possess 12 bezels with 71/72/71 levels.
2. My turn: I move Zephyr away from original position while shooting SMG w/ Electric bullet (dual wielding just doesn't do much on this enemy so I tried this to slow down his turn), scratching 1/4 of the enemy boss.
3. The enemy's turn: it fired missiles straight at the two remaining characters still standing in the original position before I can even get another turn to move them.
4. ALL remaining bezels (11 bezels) were destroyed and characters went into critical condition.
Don't use up the first character's full turn. Move him to a good position, switch out to the next character, move them, switch to the final. At the very least, you won't have multiple characters slammed by an area effect.

duckroll

Wow, those are AMAZING photos! Respect! :D

Yeah I hope the advice others are giving here help you out, because you're definitely not playing the game "right". The game doesn't tell you how to play the game in the best way possible, and the game offers enough freedom to the player so you can technically get pretty far even when you're seriously disadvantaged, so at some point (like now) you might find yourself "stuck" because the difficulty curve gets too high for your low stats. It happens, but once you put yourself on the right path like others have mentioned how to, the game gets way easier.

RurouniZel said:
Weapon set ups...
Further to other advice, just put ALL your good stuff on the MG, and then whatever's left on the HG, don't try and balance them or anything.

Also, if you're struggling it could be worth equipping Armor Piercing rounds on your MG, hero action and jump, then shoot with however many charges you can, you'll down most of, if not all its armor in one shot.

(Just remember to unequip the AP rounds before taking on the gangster, man, I waste so many good bullets by forgetting to take them off.)

RurouniZel

duckroll said:
Wow, those are AMAZING photos! Respect! :D

Yeah I hope the advice others are giving here help you out, because you're definitely not playing the game "right". The game doesn't tell you how to play the game in the best way possible, and the game offers enough freedom to the player so you can technically get pretty far even when you're seriously disadvantaged, so at some point (like now) you might find yourself "stuck" because the difficulty curve gets too high for your low stats. It happens, but once you put yourself on the right path like others have mentioned how to, the game gets way easier.

Yeah, I did some leveling of my other weapons and managed to scrape my way out of Chapter 6. Boss took a few tries though. >> Now I'm just trying to get Leanne caught up with the others since she was sick and out of the party. >.<

toythatkills said:
Further to other advice, just put ALL your good stuff on the MG, and then whatever's left on the HG, don't try and balance them or anything.

Also, if you're struggling it could be worth equipping Armor Piercing rounds on your MG, hero action and jump, then shoot with however many charges you can, you'll down most of, if not all its armor in one shot.

(Just remember to unequip the AP rounds before taking on the gangster, man, I waste so many good bullets by forgetting to take them off.)

I've done this as well with the Ignitable Rounds. I always have to think twice when I'm using the MG user. Leveling grenades is hard because they're limited in quantity and I have to keep restocking, but I'm trying not to waste too much money either. >>

Aaron said:
RurouniZel - Just at the first screen you should see your weapon levels are pretty low. Mix up your weapon use to raise your levels and have more HP to face down enemies. This is probably your main problem. Your HP is pretty low. Bezel count is also low, uncover more hexes.

I don't have a whole lot of hexes at my disposal, is there a good way to grind for those specifically, or do I just have to hope they drop them in regular battles?

Ricker

I understand your points RurouniZel,I had the same problems and that`s why I quit in chapter 7...wait till you get one of the side mission in chapter 6,where you are now,that you need to head back to Ebel,to deliver something from Cranktown...as soon as you accept that side mission,the way back is blocked by those yellow barriers and the fights in there are ridiculous...there`s about 6 fat dudes and 3 new type of small hooded guys,that scratched my guys so fast I couldn`t do anything quite right,I tried using anti damage,that helped but they where shooting me so fast,that even that barely worked and I didn`t have that much anyway....and of course if you dual wield,you can`t use grenades or heals...so I just skipped that side mission and went on to chapter 7...I also had like 300 scrap metal or something but couldn`t do crap with most of those because most stuff you can make you need some other scrap thing but those are nowhere to be found....and I won`t go into the whole hex/coloring combining from one floor to another,trying to see stuff on the awful looking map,that you can barely zoom in on...I had a quest to do something to Persopolis with that and I couldn`t do it because I didn`t have a dark purple colored hex or whatever hehe...

Also I only had 4 Bezels as well going into chapter 7 and I didn`t skip any sidequests,besides that hard one in chapter 7 :lol so that`s probably something I didn`t quite understand as well :lol

Game is complicated,I had fun with it,some Boss fights where awesome but I kept dying trying to do the main mission in chapter 7 and just gave up.

Also ,like some mentionned,and I just noticed,you are underleveled...you actually beat those choppers in chapter 6 at level 26 or so?? damn I was level 40 and had a hard time hehe,so I`m guessing you actually have the mechanics pretty down path,it`s just the switching weapons and grenades between your guys so they level up faster you need to do and you should be fine.

Aaron said:
Don't use up the first character's full turn. Move him to a good position, switch out to the next character, move them, switch to the final. At the very least, you won't have multiple characters slammed by an area effect.

this is correct - it's a technique i hardly ever needed to use, &, like a number of other things, not explained very well, but in this instance & a few others, it's all you really need to do...

as much as i loved the combat system, there're aspects of it that're somewhat broken once you get it down (iow, you can destroy just about anything :) ). i think the odd encounter like this one, & the 2-player missions, were done as attempts to 'challenge' you, &, to that extent, felt a little cheap to me - acceptable, but cheap :) ...

orion434

Seeing how many people are calling this game difficult, some easy tips for a new page:

1. Immediately switch the Machine Gun from Zephyr to Vashyron... in the long run Vash will get 100% Stun + 100% Scratch more often than Zephyr.

2. Start each turn with a Hero Action with Vashyron to 1-side then follow up with Zephyr to another side to make a tri-attack with 2 Resonance pts. If it's a tough battle use LeeAnn's Hero Action to jump between them for 3pts... then toggle to her and Hero Action to original position for a 4 Resonance tri-attack next turn.

3. Balance out your levels, until about lv 30 - 40 grind a little in the Arena and switch between Handgun - Machine Gun - Grenade. Having a character with levels 1 - 30 - 1 vs a 20 - 30 - 20 is ~ 2,000 HP.

RurouniZel said:
I guess that's why huh...

... guess I'm back to the grind again.

There are other issues too. The scopes aren't fully utilized, and neither are the barrels. It makes a world of a difference when you upgrade those.

Get your barrel extensions so you've got three barrels on your MG. You should get combat scopes and similar so you can attach more scopes on your scopes.

It helps to do some math so you can get the best optimization values too. I usually think in "This upgrade takes up X number of squares, but if I do this instead, it will take 2 more squares but provide +5 overall" etc.

When I was at Chapter 6, my guns barrels and scopes were nearly filling the whole screen, and I was about level 35-45.

It's no wonder you're getting your butt kicked. :\

Aaron

RurouniZel said:
I don't have a whole lot of hexes at my disposal, is there a good way to grind for those specifically, or do I just have to hope they drop them in regular battles?
You don't get them in regular battles. You gain shards from uncovering certain hexes, so do a lot of that, and from the red hex battles, which are the particularly challenging ones. If you're low on hex clearing stuff, just wander one of the early levels and earn them through easy battles. You won't need many of them where you are, but I'd say about two more full ones will make a significant difference.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Thinking of buying this in the next few days. From what I've read there's not much difference between the 360 and the PS3 version, right? I plan to buy Blur for my 360 and that won't be leaving the disc tray for a very long while.

Aaron

Witchfinder General said:
Thinking of buying this in the next few days. From what I've read there's not much difference between the 360 and the PS3 version, right? I plan to buy Blur for my 360 and that won't be leaving the disc tray for a very long while.
Almost zero difference. It's safe to go with either version.

duckroll

Red Scarlet said:
Ok, that series of pictures was pretty funny. Obviously you are losing because you are not using the small rack person.

The small rack person is not available in this part of the game because she's away having breast enlargement surgery.

Mr. Wonderful said:
So besides getting lucky, how does one stand a chance of surviving Critical Mode?
Either escape, or yeah, get lucky. If you've got a body part or an enemy you can kill in one turn you're OK, if not, give up.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Just picked this up for the PS3. It came with a CD sampler of the soundtrack. pretty nifty.

Should I install the game as the instruction booklet suggests? Will it actually reduce load times?

Oh, and any tips for someone booting up the game for the first time?

One more: English or Japanese voices?

Thanks.

Witchfinder General said:
Just picked this up for the PS3. It came with a CD sampler of the soundtrack. pretty nifty.

Should I install the game as the instruction booklet suggests? Will it actually reduce load times?

Oh, and any tips for someone booting up the game for the first time?

One more: English or Japanese voices?

Thanks.

Install the game.

Watch the first two cutscenes before pressing start.

Watch the third cutscene after you start your game too. These three cutscenes pretty much tell you most of the story for the first half of the game. :p

English. It's great voice acting, and you get to understand what they say during combat, which there are no subtitles for.

I'm a huge supporter of original Japanese VA with subtitles, and even I'm recommending the English voices. That says something. :)

desverger

RurouniZel said:
Now, obviously I've tried other things (hiding behind the boxes, which did nothing because of the helicopter's ability to fly and all... hell other enemies just run around to get to me anyway...), but this is just frustrating me to no end...

Let me emphasis. I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY want to like this game. I love everything about it EXCEPT the soul-crushing difficulty.

What is it I'm not getting? Why am I so mothing fucking fucked?? Please, I want to see this game to its conclusion!!!

awesome pics! :lol

I just completed chapter 6 and I think I can give you some advice.

Don't dual-wield at that point of the game, even if the game suggests you to do so. Even with spread-out levels your carry limit will still be crap and you will most likely have to strip out all the parts from your weapons to be able to carry two at once.

I think your biggest problem is (are) your weapons, looking at your customizations you have about half the charge speed I had at that point of the game. Charge speed is definitely the most important stat to have, since it means you can stay FURTHER away from ranged enemies and keep firing without hero actions, since you'll be charging faster than them.

What I suggest you to do is to go Cranktown's Tinker, and build up as much parts as you can. You have craploads of money, so you should be able to afford it. The Tinker in Cranktown has way more stuff than the Tinker in the starting city (Basel?). Build the extendable barrels so you can put 3 barrels in each gun, then build Combat Sights or High-Mount Sights to get your charge speed up as much as possible. Prototype Mounts also allow you to put one extra sight into a gun.

Also, if you didn't do Dakota Vein, it's an optional dungeon that has a charge speed specialized MG there - definitely a very good weapon, it kicks the crap out of the starter MG and if you have only two characters, definitely use that one.

duckroll said:
The small rack person is not available in this part of the game because she's away having breast enlargement surgery.
And thats the thing i REALLY hate about this game. You have only 3 Chars and half of the Chapters one or two Chars are away.... I don't like things like that :/

To be honest I never really found it any more difficult with two characters, and I generally only use two even when all three are there. One on MG, one on HG, the other just standing there. I'm probably making it much more difficult for myself by ignoring tri-attacks but they never really seemed that useful, I preferred the control a single-person hero attack offered.

Maybe in Neverland.

Unknown Soldier said:
Don't ever play FFXIII then.
It's different in FF13. You have 3 Groups of 2 People for half of the game, but once they are really together you ALWAYS have 3 people in your party. And the game is always balanced (ok, easy ^^)
RoF has the problem that it takes away one member of your team but the enemys aren't weaker, or balanced for 2 party members... thats just stupid :/

Aaron

Actually, it's easier to play with two character, since there's less people you have to protect against damage. Since it's all MG -> HG, I tend to skip the third character anyway.

You also have ~ 1/3 less HP to split the damage upon and you can't perform Tri-Hero Actions which i use a lot. I'm chapter 14 and I really hope that no character gets taken from me again in the last few chapters...

No, it's far easier with three people. When one guy takes too much damage, you can use a tri-attack to basically swap places so they can heal.

The advantage of tri-attacks is that you can slip in SO MANY attacks at the cost of only one bezel.

Top Bottom