• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palmer Luckey issue statement on actions on Nimble America

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The only reason I believe Nimble Rich Man isn't him is this:
5RngFHS.png

I doubt that Luckey's ever known Trump, been in contact with Trump, or would be in the position to give him advice of any kind.

But still, he's fallen far from where I thought of him before. :(
You don't need to actually know someone to "encourage" them to do something. The Internet has made that exceedingly easy. But it could just be a lie, too.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I personally think the OP needs to be updated with everything we know. I hate the same question being asked over a hundred times already!

It's like denial to the sixth degree.

"Yeah, but are we SUUURREEEE its him? I mean he doesn't own the internet! It could be anyone!!".

It really does. This is getting ridiculous.

I personally think the OP needs to be updated with everything we know. I hate the same question being asked over a hundred times already!

It's like denial to the sixth degree.

"Yeah, but are we SUUURREEEE its him? I mean he doesn't own the internet! It could be anyone!!".
My post clearly wasn't serious.

Baki

My hopes from this debacle:

1/ Palmer Luckey gets fired

2/ The majority of his Oculus payout was unvested and he loses a shit ton of money for being a fascist douchebag

The other nice folks at Oculus not impacted by this douchebag founder.

Given how childishly ridiculous the excuse is, I half expect the next statement to involve Brazilians with guns.
He's just a kid having fun! What? You never founded and donated thousands of dollars to a racist organization that supports a fascistic presidential candidate when you were 23?

From ages 11 to 16, he experimented with a variety of high-voltage electronics projects including coil guns, Tesla coils, and lasers. He built a PC costing tens of thousands of U.S. dollars with an elaborate six-monitor setup. He had an intense interest in virtual reality (VR), and built an extensive private collection of over 50 different head-mounted displays.

I know when I was 11 I built a PC costing tens of thousands of dollars. Oh wait, no I didn't, I wasn't born rich. Lucky is the kind of guy that was born on third base and thinks he hit a triple.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm sure this will all blow over by Monday. The Oculus suits are smart not to say too much right now.

I don't think having someone at your company who is at a high position funding an organization whose purpose is to make minority, women and LGBT lives a living hell is going to "blow over".

Regardless of the fact that no one is going to want to do business with your company there are other horrible implications to this as well.

You do realize there are a ton of minorities, women and LGBT that work at Oculus, right? You think it's just going to "blow over" with them that the profits made from their work is being put into an organization created to make their lives worse by their boss?

I'm sure this will all blow over by Monday. The Oculus suits are smart not to say too much right now.

Maybe to the general public, but personally speaking I would never work at Oculus while he remains there and has not been fully disavowed by the company, and will strongly encourage any developer I work for not to accept contracts for Oculus exclusive software.

I don't know how many of my peers actually share that sentiment in terms of actual convictions, but I'm certainly hearing it plenty already.

Here is your two sentence, easy to reference, summary of the situation as it looks like the influx of people not quite getting it will continue.

Here is your two sentence, easy to reference, summary of the situation as it looks like the influx of people not quite getting it will continue.

Oh, so donating money to Trump supporters means you're an ultra-right nationalist supporter now? What ever happened to respecting other people's opinions?

I'I sorry, I had to.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!

Rayis

He and his girlfriend are bonafide pieces of shit from what I've seen, especially his girlfriend, holy fuck what a vile woman.

She had to delete her account because she couldn't delete all her racist, xenophobic, bigoted tweets fast enough.

And there was a crap ton.

So why are people trying to defend him then? If a girlfriend is racist and bigoted, you can be sure the boyfriend has similar views too. This is proof more or less that Luckey is an absolute POS if ever you needed it, aside from his own actions.

Armaros

So why are people trying to defend him then? If a girlfriend is racist and bigoted, you can be sure the boyfriend has similar views too. This is proof more or less that Luckey is an absolute POS if ever you needed it, aside from his own actions.

Not just the girlfriends twitter as evidence either. Palmer himself has been retweeting and favoriting Trump's racist and xenophobic tweets as well. And no other politicans.

louiedog

Not just the girlfriends twitter as evidence either. Palmer himself has been retweeting and favoriting Trump's racist and xenophobic tweets as well. And no other politicans.

Which is a brilliant 5D chess strategy from the Johnson campaign. Obviously no one would vote for the guy actually saying those things, right? Maybe I do believe Palmer...

It is unfortunate his GF got pulled into this mess, but her supporting GamerGate, a campaign specifically designed to harass women over long periods of time.. and then immediately deleting her account after being pointed at in an unflattering way is incredible. Grow a thicker skin, indeed.

I hope some level of compassion or insight was gained as a result but that is probably unlikely.

And for the record: if anyone did harass her, get fucked.

Nanashrew

Banned
It is unfortunate his GF got pulled into this mess, but her supporting GamerGate, a campaign specifically designed to harass women over long periods of time.. and then immediately deleting her account after being pointed at in an unflattering way is incredible. Grow a thicker skin, indeed.

I hope some level of compassion or insight was gained as a result but that is probably unlikely.

And for the record: if anyone did harass her, get fucked.

As far as I'm aware, there's no evidence that supports her getting harassed off Twitter. Though my Twitter account among many others in an image making observations that her account was gone or that she deleted some tweets are being used as DARVO tactics to say that everyone harassed her off Twitter.

Seems she simply woke up and saw that some were talking about her and Luckey, started hastily deleting her tweets aimed at blacks and muslims, then in a blink of an eye nuked her own account. She did become the talk of the town but so far nothing has come up to even show there was any kind of coordinated attack.

ido

Poor Palmer, he can't help it. He was born with a silver foot in his mouth.

Since I interacted with Palmer way back when, that sentence is all weird, and not talking about his childhood. He fucked around with lasers and built tesla coils as a kid... but the rest(multi-thousand dollar PC w/ 6 monitor setup, and a 50 deep HMD collection) all came after he hit the honeypot.

That being said, the whole thing sucks. For selfish reasons, I was sure hoping the PR1 I have would rise in value... now I'm not so sure. First prototype HMD he built, I comissioned him to do the work. Felt like I own a piece of history.

I used to argue with him through facebook about politics and I knew he always took a pretty hard right stance... but even after knowing that this still surprised me, and it's disheartening.

When Trump loses a lot of people will maybe, hopefully, go back to their cave.

The only reason I believe Nimble Rich Man isn't him is this:
5RngFHS.png

I doubt that Luckey's ever known Trump, been in contact with Trump, or would be in the position to give him advice of any kind.

But still, he's fallen far from where I thought of him before. :(
I didn't read that as Palmer like having a one to one conversation with Trump encouraging him to do it, but more encouraging through support. Being vocal that Trump should pursue the presidency

Ketch

wheres the guy who was so concerned about the formatting of the previous email screenshots

Me right here! So glad someone finally posted them the way a normal person would. Shoulda been done right the first time, it's not even hard.

Now there is no way anyone can deny that he's a scumbag.

Top Bottom