• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 3 HDR impressions

I have the same TV too and the HDR is amazing but the input lag is a abomination... 90 ms , 0 accuracy in driving with this input lag... :(

Oh yeah that's true! Luckily this is such an arcadey game that I can still play and enjoy it. But there is a noticable delay when trying to turn the car. You have to anticipate the turns. I still wouldn't call it unplayable, but yeah, it is very noticeable.

Is that true that the demo doesn't have HDR mode but ony for the full game?

Yes it's true.

Vuze

I play a lot in a low light environment and it seems like HDR would kill my eyes.
It's perfectly fine (plus you can always adjust the brightness to your preference). I play at night as well and haven't had any issues at all. :)
It's not like you will be "blinded" be the whole picture, it's just what would "blind" you IRL as well. Sun, sun rays, headlights, sun reflection on wet etc surfaces etc.

Caayn

So I've tweaked a few settings and I think that I got it working. HDR in Horizon doesn't look that great to me after having watched other HDR content and directly swapping both HDR and SDR with aid of the PC version. Only at night does it look good imo. During the day, in the city, jungle, desert, it looks off.

Here are a few shitty off screen pics.
HDR said:
fh3-hdrxikd5.jpg
SDR said:

ajmiles

Neo Member
So I've tweaked a few settings and I think that I got it working. HDR in Horizon doesn't look that great to me after having watched other HDR content. Only at night does it look good imo. During the day, in the city, jungle, desert, it looks off.

Are your console screenshots still 'correct' in HDR mode?

iMax

So I've tweaked a few settings and I think that I got it working. HDR in Horizon doesn't look that great to me after having watched other HDR content and directly swapping both HDR and SDR with aid of the PC version. Only at night does it look good imo. During the day, in the city, jungle, desert, it looks off.

I'm only looking on my phone but it looks like the blacks are crushing a little there. That shouldn't be happening.

LowRoller

Could someone help me out. I recently got a 4 Samsung hdr tv and the hdr in forza looks really washed out. And the colors are really muted too

Caayn

Yup. They look correct in both versions, which isn't what I'd expect. Thanks for posting.
No problem, happy to help. Maybe it's also that I expected more from the HDR mode in FH3 that it tarnishes my view on it a bit.
Albert Penello mentioned in an interview with Eurogamer/Digital Foundry that games aren't yet allowed to take advantage of the wider colour gamut that other sources can use such as UHD-BD (ie 10bit colour).

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm only looking on my phone but it looks like the blacks are crushing a little there. That shouldn't be happening.
The shots are taken with a Lumia 950. I don't have a higher quality camera on hand.
Could someone help me out. I recently got a 4 Samsung hdr tv and the hdr in forza looks really washed out. And the colors are really muted too
Have you tried adjusting the brightness and HDR brightness in Settings -> Video? The default settings result in a very dull picture.

iMax

No problem, happy to help. Maybe it's also that I expected more from the HDR mode in FH3 that it tarnishes my view on it a bit.
Albert Penello mentioned in an interview with Eurogamer/Digital Foundry that games aren't yet allowed to take advantage of the wider colour gamut that other sources can use such as UHD-BD (ie 10bit colour).

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
The shots are taken with a Lumia 950. I don't have a higher quality camera on hand.
Have you tried adjusting the brightness and HDR brightness in Settings -> Video? The default settings result in a very dull picture.

Ah, I think Albert was referring to rec2020 not 10-bit. The game should be sending a 10-bit signal otherwise there would be no observable difference.

branny

Okay, I've finally had some quality time with the game so I'm able to post my impressions now. :D

First off, the game is gorgeous with or without HDR. I wasn't that big a fan of FH2's location, so moving the festival to an area that supports more arcade-y landscapes (lush forests, beaches, caves, water, cities, etc.) is an upgrade all on its own.

Having said that, there is an incredibly noticeable difference between HDR and SDR. There is no point to play this game in SDR when I can use HDR. It's honestly a little confusing to read some impressions saying otherwise. Now, I don't know if it's because of personal preferences, everybody having different eyes, varying TV models out there, or a calibration/setup thing or what, but, to me, the difference is absolutely night and day.

So, what's different? Color and contrast. If you've tested out HDR demo videos, you already know. Just apply that concept to Forza Horizon 3. But since this is an impressions thread, I'll go into more detail!

I'd probably use the word "filmic" to describe FH3 in SDR, while the game in HDR mode appears "truer-to-life." It's difficult to explain without experiencing it for yourself, but you'll immediately understand after seeing how things just...glow. You can literally feel your eyes reacting to different lighting situations as if you really were there in person. When people say that SDR or their phones or computer monitors look dim after playing something in HDR for a while, it's true--your pupils get adjusted to this different kind of image.

More specifically, things like sparks, fireworks, sunlight, reflections, car lights, storefronts, sand, etc. all get improved by HDR. You will notice stuff jumping out at you that you've never really paid attention to before.

-Those white festival tarps everywhere? You'll see a difference in how they bounce sunlight off their canopies.
-When you're indoors, you'll look at a fluorescent light in the ceiling and be like "huh, that actually kinda looks like it does in real life." In SDR, you barely even notice it's there.
-You will see extra colors popping just beneath the surface of water or in the undercoats of metallic car paint. I thought this was just the game's engine, but, nope. It's much less apparent in SDR.
-You'll notice how the devs always seem to have you drive through water in races juuust as you round a corner with the sun setting, and you will thank them. It looks cool in SDR; it looks impressive in HDR. The effect is great.
-Lighting (especially the sky) looks much more natural. Everything does. It's weird! You'd think all the colors would seem extra saturated and fake, but that's not the case at all.
-Different weather conditions are breathtaking, too. A cloudy sky right before it's about to rain is eerily convincing. I used to live in a tropical country, and the way things suddenly darken before a downpour is hilariously accurate.
-I keep looking at my brake lights, like my brain is confused. This is such a silly thing, but HDR makes me suddenly care about stuff like that.
-Cameras going off in the distance look like actual cameras going off in the distance. I find that I subconsciously brace myself for speed traps. Can you imagine something like lightning strikes with HDR?
-Car reflections. Just play a race at night in one of the city areas next to a bunch of neon lights, and you will probably crash by getting distracted at everything. And then you'll see sparks from your crash and get even more distracted.

In short, I'm a happy camper. I genuinely don't feel like it's a marketing gimmick. I'm upset that HDR in general seems like a clusterfuck right now, but I can't wait for more games to support the tech. Flipping back to SDR makes me sad.

Technical disclaimer: My display is a Samsung KS8000 (American). I think it's a great gaming TV considering its price and performance. I firmly believe people would be really happy with it, but its HDR obviously isn't quite the same with edge-lit local dimming as what you'd find in a much more expensive OLED. For example, when FH3 puts those cinematic black bars on your screen for cutscenes, you will probably notice the bloom pillars in lower-light situations. Some people use Dynamic Contrast to combat this (especially with HDR film content), but I prefer to just leave it set to off. When you have a fullscreen image, it's not an issue at all, and it's practically nonexistent playing in the daytime or with ambient light. Because I primarily use my TV for games, I think it's a perfectly acceptable tradeoff. Input lag is also something that I'm incredibly sensitive to, so there really isn't any other TV on the market right now that I would've been happier with.

Some notes for people who have the same TV and may be curious about my settings:

-In FH3, the game's brightness is set to 50, and I have the HDR brightness set at like 19-20 ticks. You could technically crank HDR brightness to full blast, but you'll end up losing detail in stuff like sunlight because it literally becomes a supernova. You might prefer that, though, so do whatever makes you happy.

-On the TV itself with HDR enabled, I think everything is default (with the exception of sharpness turned down to 0), but the backlight is manually set to 20* with a Native color space.

Picture Mode: Game
Backlight: 20
Brightness: 45
Contrast: 100
Sharpness: 0
Color: 50
Tint (G/R): G50/R50
Smart LED: High
HDMI UHD Color: (set to "On" for the input)
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Color Tone: Warm2
White Balance: (default settings)
Color Space: Native

*For some reason, the KS8000 doesn't remember HDR backlight settings when the Xbox switches into HDR mode for FH3. It switches it just fine for Netflix and a USB drive with HDR content, but, bizarrely, not with the Xbox. So, just know that you will have to go into your Picture Settings to crank up the backlight to 20 for HDR content on the Xbox One S. Maybe a firmware update will address this in the future. I usually have my backlight on 4 for SDR content.

The Xbox can also be a little fussy if you're doing A/B checks between SDR and HDR content. You might need to restart your console if you are messing with the HDR toggle in system settings. Maybe this was just a one-off thing I experienced when I was doing comparisons.

Unrelated to HDR, but my general Xbox video output settings are "24 bits per pixel" (Color depth) and "Standard" (Color space). The HDMI Black Level on my TV is set to "Low." I know a lot of people are confused by this nonsense, so hopefully someone out there will find it useful.

ZOONAMI

Okay, I've finally had some quality time with the game so I'm able to post my impressions now. :D

First off, the game is gorgeous with or without HDR. I wasn't that big a fan of FH2's location, so moving the festival to an area that supports more arcade-y landscapes (lush forests, beaches, caves, water, cities, etc.) is an upgrade all on its own.

Having said that, there is an incredibly noticeable difference between HDR and SDR. There is no point to play this game in SDR when I can use HDR. It's honestly a little confusing to read some impressions saying otherwise. Now, I don't know if it's because of personal preferences, everybody having different eyes, varying TV models out there, or a calibration/setup thing or what, but, to me, the difference is absolutely night and day.

So, what's different? Color and contrast. If you've tested out HDR demo videos, you already know. Just apply that concept to Forza Horizon 3. But since this is an impressions thread, I'll go into more detail!

I'd probably use the word "filmic" to describe FH3 in SDR, while the game in HDR mode appears "truer-to-life." It's difficult to explain without experiencing it for yourself, but you'll immediately understand after seeing how things just...glow. You can literally feel your eyes reacting to different lighting situations as if you really were there in person. When people say that SDR or their phones or computer monitors look dim after playing something in HDR for a while, it's true--your pupils get adjusted to this different kind of image.

More specifically, things like sparks, fireworks, sunlight, reflections, car lights, storefronts, sand, etc. all get improved by HDR. You will notice stuff jumping out at you that you've never really paid attention to before.

-Those white festival tarps everywhere? You'll see a difference in how they bounce sunlight off their canopies.
-When you're indoors, you'll look at a fluorescent light in the ceiling and be like "huh, that actually kinda looks like it does in real life." In SDR, you barely even notice it's there.
-You will see extra colors popping just beneath the surface of water or in the undercoats of metallic car paint. I thought this was just the game's engine, but, nope. It's much less apparent in SDR.
-You'll notice how the devs always seem to have you drive through water in races juuust as you round a corner with the sun setting, and you will thank them. It looks cool in SDR; it looks impressive in HDR. The effect is great.
-Lighting (especially the sky) looks much more natural. Everything does. It's weird! You'd think all the colors would seem extra saturated and fake, but that's not the case at all.
-Different weather conditions are breathtaking, too. A cloudy sky right before it's about to rain is eerily convincing. I used to live in a tropical country, and the way things suddenly darken before a downpour is hilariously accurate.
-I keep looking at my brake lights, like my brain is confused. This is such a silly thing, but HDR makes me suddenly care about stuff like that.
-Cameras going off in the distance look like actual cameras going off in the distance. I find that I subconsciously brace myself for speed traps. Can you imagine something like lightning strikes with HDR?
-Car reflections. Just play a race at night in one of the city areas next to a bunch of neon lights, and you will probably crash by getting distracted at everything. And then you'll see sparks from your crash and get even more distracted.

In short, I'm a happy camper. I genuinely don't feel like it's a marketing gimmick. I'm upset that HDR in general seems like a clusterfuck right now, but I can't wait for more games to support the tech. Flipping back to SDR makes me sad.

Technical disclaimer: My display is a Samsung KS8000 (American). I think it's a great gaming TV considering its price and performance. I firmly believe people would be really happy with it, but its HDR obviously isn't quite the same with edge-lit local dimming as what you'd find in a much more expensive OLED. For example, when FH3 puts those cinematic black bars on your screen for cutscenes, you will probably notice the bloom pillars in lower-light situations. Some people use Dynamic Contrast to combat this (especially with HDR film content), but I prefer to just leave it set to off. When you have a fullscreen image, it's not an issue at all, and it's practically nonexistent playing in the daytime or with ambient light. Because I primarily use my TV for games, I think it's a perfectly acceptable tradeoff. Input lag is also something that I'm incredibly sensitive to, so there really isn't any other TV on the market right now that I would've been happier with.

Some notes for people who have the same TV and may be curious about my settings:

-In FH3, the game's brightness is set to 50, and I have the HDR brightness set at like 19-20 ticks. You could technically crank HDR brightness to full blast, but you'll end up losing detail in stuff like sunlight because it literally becomes a supernova. You might prefer that, though, so do whatever makes you happy.

-On the TV itself with HDR enabled, I think everything is default (with the exception of sharpness turned down to 0), but the backlight is manually set to 20* with a Native color space.

Picture Mode: Game
Backlight: 20
Brightness: 45
Contrast: 100
Sharpness: 0
Color: 50
Tint (G/R): G50/R50
Smart LED: High
HDMI UHD Color: (set to "On" for the input)
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Color Tone: Warm2
White Balance: (default settings)
Color Space: Native

*For some reason, the KS8000 doesn't remember HDR backlight settings when the Xbox switches into HDR mode for FH3. It switches it just fine for Netflix and a USB drive with HDR content, but, bizarrely, not with the Xbox. So, just know that you will have to go into your Picture Settings to crank up the backlight to 20 for HDR content on the Xbox One S. Maybe a firmware update will address this in the future. I usually have my backlight on 4 for SDR content.

The Xbox can also be a little fussy if you're doing A/B checks between SDR and HDR content. You might need to restart your console if you are messing with the HDR toggle in system settings. Maybe this was just a one-off thing I experienced when I was doing comparisons.

Unrelated to HDR, but my general Xbox video output settings are "24 bits per pixel" (Color depth) and "Standard" (Color space). The HDMI Black Level on my TV is set to "Low." I know a lot of people are confused by this nonsense, so hopefully someone out there will find it useful.

HDR10 should require a 10-bit panel so that's weird you are running in 8-bit mode.

ViciousDS

Banned
Digital Foundry: Are you using the wider colour gamut (DCI P3) for HDR-enabled titles?

Albert Penello: Not currently. We are not supporting WCG for games in Xbox One S. We are supporting the wider Bt.2020 color gamut in Xbox One S for media, however.

They are using WCG but only in the rec 2020 spectrum not the DCI PIII most commonly found in projectors

However this seems to be for media only. So, yes there is NO WCG in games......which is a huge miss. I mean......damn

bonej

They are using WCG but only in the rec 2020 spectrum not the DCI PIII most commonly found in projectors

However this seems to be for media only. So, yes there is NO WCG in games......which is a huge miss. I mean......damn
rec 2020 is far superior to dci pii though. HDR without wcg is pointless. I do not unterstand why, since hdr10 requires the bt2020. this means that the x1 does not support true hdr10. wow

ajmiles

Neo Member
The console should always send a 10-bit signal irrespective of what you have set in the Video Options when using HDR. If anyone sees any disparity between what they see in HDR mode when different bit depths are set, let me know.

There seems to be some confusion around the relationship between WCG, HDR and bit depth. A wider colour gamut (e.g. Rec2020) allows for a greater ranger of colours to be represented that are not necessarily any brighter than you're used to in the past. Whereas Rec709 can display around 35% of all the colours the human eye can see, Rec2020 pushes this up to around 75%.

HDR could, in theory, be used in conjunction with any colour gamut. It's this that allows for "darker darks and brighter whites", not an expanded range of colours (that comes from using a wider colour gamut). In practice however, when HDR is sent to a UHD TV it'll be in the Rec2020 colour space. This is why your TV must support Rec2020 and HDR in order for HDR to function.

Bit depth is something that applies to both SDR and HDR signals. 8 bit and 10 bit can both be used in SDR, giving 256 or 1024 shades of each primary colour respectively for either 16.7M or 1 07B colours in total. If you have a 10 bit screen and a game is presenting a 10 bit image for presentation then outputting at 10-bit can reduce banding in SDR titles. HDR is something that requires at least a 10-bit signal. Whereas 'white' in SDR was standardised at 100 nits, the brightest value in HDR10 is 10,000 nits. Without a 10bit signal you'd have significantly reduced precision in many areas of the image relative to 8-bit SDR and this would lead to more banding. This is where the '10' in "HDR10" comes from. No TV can yet output 10,000 nits however, with the brightest sets currently reaching around 1500 nits.

Whether your TV is an 8-bit or a 10-bit panel or not matters very little, so long as it supports receiving a 10-bit signal. 8-bit panels that support HDR will either dither nearby colours together to approximate the missing colours or it'll flash those same colours to achieve the same effect.

It's not true to say that there's no point in doing HDR without exploiting the wider colour gamut available on UHD TVs. HDR allows a film/game to send deeper blacks while also being able to display whites many times brighter than before, allowing for a more natural looking image. Supporting a wider color gamut gives you colours you've never seen before on a TV, but if a film or game doesn't exploit the wider colour gamut of Rec2020 that doesn't invalidate the support or effect of HDR.

All HDR output from the Xbox One S is in the Rec2020 colour space and outputs using a 10-bit "HDR10" signal.

ZOONAMI

rec 2020 is far superior to dci pii though. HDR without wcg is pointless. I do not unterstand why, since hdr10 requires the bt2020. this means that the x1 does not support true hdr10. wow

For games. Pc games have been developed in 8-but color literally forever.

Are you really surprised that devs aren't just all of a sudden switching to 10-bit?

It has hdr10 for movies and games it much just be for contrast and not wider colors.

ViciousDS

Banned
The console should always send a 10-bit signal irrespective of what you have set in the Video Options when using HDR. If anyone sees any disparity between what they see in HDR mode when different bit depths are set, let me know.

There seems to be some confusion around the relationship between WCG, HDR and bit depth. A wider colour gamut (e.g. Rec2020) allows for a greater ranger of colours to be represented that are not necessarily any brighter than you're used to in the past. Whereas Rec709 can display around 35% of all the colours the human eye can see, Rec2020 pushes this up to around 75%.

HDR could, in theory, be used in conjunction with any colour gamut. It's this that allows for "darker darks and brighter whites", not an expanded range of colours (that comes from using a wider colour gamut). In practice however, when HDR is sent to a UHD TV it'll be in the Rec2020 colour space. This is why your TV must support Rec2020 and HDR in order for HDR to function.

Bit depth is something that applies to both SDR and HDR signals. 8 bit and 10 bit can both be used in SDR, giving 256 or 1024 shades of each primary colour respectively for either 16.7M or 1 07B colours in total. If you have a 10 bit screen and a game is presenting a 10 bit image for presentation then outputting at 10-bit can reduce banding in SDR titles. HDR is something that requires at least a 10-bit signal. Whereas 'white' in SDR was standardised at 100 nits, the brightest value in HDR10 is 10,000 nits. Without a 10bit signal you'd have significantly reduced precision in many areas of the image relative to 8-bit SDR and this would lead to more banding. This is where the '10' in "HDR10" comes from. No TV can yet output 10,000 nits however, with the brightest sets currently reaching around 1500 nits.

Whether your TV is an 8-bit or a 10-bit panel or not matters very little, so long as it supports receiving a 10-bit signal. 8-bit panels that support HDR will either dither nearby colours together to approximate the missing colours or it'll flash those same colours to achieve the same effect.

It's not true to say that there's no point in doing HDR without exploiting the wider colour gamut available on UHD TVs. HDR allows a film/game to send deeper blacks while also being able to display whites many times brighter than before, allowing for a more natural looking image. Supporting a wider color gamut gives you colours you've never seen before on a TV, but if a film or game doesn't exploit the wider colour gamut of Rec2020 that doesn't invalidate the support or effect of HDR.

All HDR output from the Xbox One S is in the Rec2020 colour space and outputs using a 10-bit "HDR10" signal.

So........games don't support WCG.......??

That last line screams the "you realize you will see every game in 1080p as your output"

Heidern98

Nice shots, I got similar results with my UN65HU8700+SEK3500.

How did you replicate most scenes almost exactly between on and off? I just drove to the same locations every time, can you save replays or something?

I just tried to go to the same areas of the map and took the shots at the same settings between the demo and the full version of the game. I got lucky with how close they are.

Um...why is that I can see the difference on my phone? The HDR shots show way more detail in highlights without blowing out

I don't actually have a good explanation for that. After I took the shots and uploaded to Flickr it was still showing the difference on a normal monitor. So I would assume that even if the display is an 8-bit panel it can display a reasonably good approximation because it has the correct color saved?

Tntnico

New owner of à UE55KS7000 (european equivalent of UN55KS8000) and I have also the same problem with washed out colors in HDR mode on Forza Horizon 3.

In order to have picture I switches game mode to standard mode, put the backlight to 20, set the Dynamic contrast to High and I have a picture very similar to the One without HDR. Any Idea ?

Footos22

Colours looks great on my ku6500 the only trouble is I have to whack dynamic contrast up to high for forza, details pop out then and colour is much richer just the outback ground shows this in a big way, only trouble is it crushing the blacks outside of forza. So have to remember to turn it back to off after.

ajmiles

Neo Member
New owner of à UE55KS7000 (european equivalent of UN55KS8000) and I have also the same problem with washed out colors in HDR mode on Forza Horizon 3.

In order to have picture I switches game mode to standard mode, put the backlight to 20, set the Dynamic contrast to High and I have a picture very similar to the One without HDR. Any Idea ?

That's what I've found to be required on the KS8000 too. I usually opt for Movie Mode rather than Standard and put Backlight to 20, and Dynamic Contrast High and then turn off all the other processing I can to reduce input lag.

Be sure to go into the Video Options screen in-game and increase the HDR Brightness slider to the point where the logo disappears otherwise you won't get much of an HDR effect.

ajmiles

Neo Member
To anyone with correct looking screenshots in HDR mode, a new build hit the Insider Program members earlier than I thought (~24th September). If your OS version is "rs1_xbox_rel_1610" and has a date in the form YYMMDD higher than 160923 then you have the HDR screenshot fix.

ViciousDS

Banned
I've tried vuze's settings for HDR and all the colors seem washed out. I've tried fiddling with the settings to living hell and eventually I get to settings I like but it just hurts my eyes so much due to how saturated it seems

Edit: it seems setting to standard or vivid gives a much better picture and doesn't effect the input lag much at all on the x800d

So my TV is well calibrated. And Horizon looks really good in HDR on it.

However the HDR Brightness settings doesn't work as I'd expect in the game. If I set it as the game instructs - making the logo disappear - sunlit clouds get completely blown out and lose detail.

However if I lower the in game HDR Brightness control so I get detail in the clouds, the game does look great, but the logo in the setting menu is very visible.

Don't really know what's going on there.

filly

I got a PM about what my settings were for my KS8000 (KS7000 in the UK). I wrote a whole long thing and thought I might aswell share.

I'm not going to make any assumptions here so...
1. Make sure you have an xbox one s and not an xbox - also make sure you'r using the cable it came with
2. The first thing you need to do is make sure that UHD color on the HDMI port you are plugged into.
3. Go to the xbox display setting once you do this and make sure HDR is on and the xbox itself detects this.
4. Change the mode to PC mode on the samsung tv. You can do this by pressing the source button and editing the input source to PC - latency is not as good as game mode but its still something like 33ms (as apposed to 22)
5. Boot up forza
6. Make sure the screen gives you a pop down at the top saying HDR has been engaged. Once this happens it changes the settings that you might of claibrated previously on the set.
5. Calibrate your tv to these specifications shown here: http://uk.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ks8000/settings
But don't bother with white point - that is set specific
6. Then change the brightness to something higher like 18 dependent on your conditions.
7. After this go into the visual settings in the forza menu and follow the instructions, you may find that the top slider will always make the 1 visible.
8. Set the hdr brightness as instructed on the screen, but if you want it to really POP try 2 notches higher than its suggestion.
9. Finally you can try setting the color tone to standard in the color tone section. I think this works better for forza.

I did try game mode (this is found in the picture menu not the source edit like picture mode) in the setting instead of PC mode however you may need to set dynamic contrast to high if you do this. Latency should be a bit better, however night seems a bit too dark - Despite perhaps being more accurate to life. Also, day scenes look pretty good like this.

For me PC mode gives the the vividness without having to play with dynamic contrast and so seems more accurate to HDR's intent.

Let me know how you get on! I have had a great time with it!

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Borrowing this from the Xbox One S official thread; those of you who are still having issues with HDR looking washed out might want to give it a second try after updating.
https://twitter.com/XboxQwik/status/783467878821433344

Full update details:

(NON PREVIEW)
OS version: 10.0.14393.1065 (rs1_xbox_rel_1608 160927-1900) fre Release date
10/04/2016
Performance and General Improvements
HDR
Resolved an issue which could cause some HDR content to appear too bright or faded on certain TVs when using an Xbox One S console.

Game DVR
Resolved an issue affecting video and screenshot brightness when recorded while the TV is in HDR mode.
Miscellaneous
General stability and performance improvements.

USF

Started playing this on my new SONY X800D

My thoughts on HDR? It does bring the game to life.
Colors look more "true" and really pops out the details.
I swear I literally spontaneously held my hand to cover
my eyes in that scene in the photo below lol.

hqo6j84l.jpg

ajmiles

Neo Member
Thanks for confirming! So is this the same as the screenshot fix or is this different?

Different. The first one relates to the black level not being correct on some TVs, as noted by people seeing cinematic black bars in HDR movies not being absolutely black. The second fix is the screenshot/GameDVR "washed out" fix.

iMax

Different. The first one relates to the black level not being correct on some TVs, as noted by people seeing cinematic black bars in HDR movies not being absolutely black. The second fix is the screenshot/GameDVR "washed out" fix.

I see! Thanks for clarifying :)

f@luS

More than a member.
The same is true for 2016 LG OLED and some HDR10 UHDs blurays, though I've also read "Dynamic Contrast" doesn't mean the same thing when in HDR mode as it does with SDR..but also would like more clarity from the TV manufacturer on this. I've seen a youtube video with a professional calibration tool developer state there's a big mismatch with HDR10, TV tonemappers and UHD Bluray mastering metadata where TV tonemappers are wrong so they're oversteering in the mastering/metedata to compensate but in the process breaking things further.

Add me to the list of people that wish Dolby Vision was the only HDR standard.
Quoting this. I finally took time to calibrate my lg c6 all day as I feel.
As I checking in definitely note the thx setting type of guy. Too yellow. I'm going for standard which is almost the same color as game mode by default.
Just one thing is bothering me now. hdr games. Forza or gears. For Sdr I obviously deactivate dynamic contrast but I find it worse looking for sdr. Too dim too dark without it. Vivid mode has the correct contrast for me but it has horrible artefact and only way to have the same contrast in hdr standard on the tv is to put dynamic contrast at max.
Maybe it's by default on vivid as there is no dynamic contrast option. But it's obviously needed for hdr imho

bodine1231

Sorry to bump this old thread but I believe I found a fix for the Samsung KS models having washed out colors and a dim picture in HDR mode.

I'm going to assume you have everything enabled that you should (UHD Color,Smart LED High,etc).
Go into the xbox one settings and disable HDR.
Then power off your xbox one (hold the power on the unit for a few seconds).
Wait for it to shut down and power on the Xbox
Go back into settings and enable HDR.
Launch your game

That did it for me. I could tell immediately when Forza launched that it was working. Before,when I launched the game I could see the picture dim noticeably than the the dashboard and the colors having a faded look. No matter what settings I changed I could not get the colors to pop or the screen from dimming. This worked though,I'm guessing the setting didn't 'take' when I first turned it on.

Hope this helps,took me about 3 hours googling and trying different combinations but I'm glad I finally got it,looks amazing now!

masteratt

Sorry to bump this old thread but I believe I found a fix for the Samsung KS models having washed out colors and a dim picture in HDR mode.

I'm going to assume you have everything enabled that you should (UHD Color,Smart LED High,etc).
Go into the xbox one settings and disable HDR.
Then power off your xbox one (hold the power on the unit for a few seconds).
Wait for it to shut down and power on the Xbox
Go back into settings and enable HDR.
Launch your game

That did it for me. I could tell immediately when Forza launched that it was working. Before,when I launched the game I could see the picture dim noticeably than the the dashboard and the colors having a faded look. No matter what settings I changed I could not get the colors to pop or the screen from dimming. This worked though,I'm guessing the setting didn't 'take' when I first turned it on.

Hope this helps,took me about 3 hours googling and trying different combinations but I'm glad I finally got it,looks amazing now!

I am having this exact problem on Samsung JS8500 model, firmware always kept up to date, UHD on, smart LED High. I was pumped after reading this post but unfortunately for me, this didn't fix it.

I can't tell if it's the xb1, or the tv . If anyone knows anything about using hdr on xb1 with a samsung js8500 model, please share.

Top Bottom