• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Revealed [N-CONF] - Releasing in 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gravijah

Shawnishi said:
How are the other stereo blind posters feeling?

Honestly, I don't give a shit about the 3D and I'm sure 90% of the time I'm gonna turn it off. It's the games. It's always the games for me.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The graphics are so all over the place for this one. Kid Icarus is really the only proper footage we've seen of a game.

Kuran

Banned
I'm thinking a real sequel to Vandal Hearts with 3d blood showers..

I hope they fix the hardware design though, wish it was sleeker, but since nobody is voicing this concern I guess they will wait for the 3ds lite.

Gravijah said:
Honestly, I don't give a shit about the 3D and I'm sure 90% of the time I'm gonna turn it off. It's the games. It's always the games for me.

This. Good thing the 3DS looks to have them in spades.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Got some decent hands on time with both the movie playback and the best non-interactive/interactive 3DS demos today. For me the 3D effect was basically flawless (once you get the eye/screen distance correct) and didn't just feel like a gimmick, it made the screen feel 'bigger' somehow. The depth added more to the playfield. The Naked Snake demo was my favorite, and left me absolutely floored. If this is the future of handheld gaming count me in.

Also, don't know if this has been discussed yet (so don't ream me if it has), but I heard one of the reps telling one of the demo ladies that they weren't allowed to discuss the 'full extent' of backwards compatibility yet, only that the system would play all DS games. Not sure exactly what that means but I have a sneaking suspicion that the 3DS will add some kind of automated 3D effect to ALL existing 3D DS games, sort of like the way it forced 3D in the 'flat photo to 3D photo' demo. Just a theory.

3D added to DS games would be weird.
Or maybe it's like some kind of basic upscaler.

I wish we'd hear more about the online and Home interface, though.
Damn Nintendo. not telling us nearly enough!
:lol

GamerZero

A question for anyone at E3 whos had some hands-on time with the all black 3DS, is it a finger print magnet like the black PSPs are?

Spent a good 45 minutes with the 3DS in the Nintendo Media Room today. Here are some impressions.

- The depth it displayed was really nice and enhanced the experience a lot, especially with Nintendogs. You really have to look at the screen dead-on in order to keep the depth visuals in sync or it will double up really quick. It was pretty much the only issue I had with it.

- Played an altered reality tech demo where you point the 3DS outside cameras on a card with a question mark. Once everything is calibrated (which took a few seconds), the visuals it displayed were very very awesome. The area around the box morphed as it expanded and contracted while targets were placed on the new contours recently made. You move yourself around the area (literally moving myself around the stool where the card was placed) looking for the targets and shooting them with arrows. The 3D depth again made the experience a lot better as it helped me navigate around the created contours and it really felt like there was an actual video game lump just showing up on the stool. It even created a hole in the area where the card was where I had to move the 3DS over to find the last target. It then generated a dragon (up to its neck) out of the hole where I had to position myself to shoot it in the mouth. Once done, the dragon came to life and you had to shoot its neck parts several times before you could attack its head. The dragon would lunge at your screen and I literally jumped several times to get out of its way while attempting to position myself around the stool to shoot its neck. Very very cool.

- Checked out the Snake Eater demo which was basically a real time cutscene where you have limited control of the camera. #1 - graphically it looks better than the PS2 version #2 - Kojima and pals did an awesome job showcasing the 3D capabilities. The fight scene with The Boss with all the petals flying around looked gorgeous.

- Checked out Resident Evil Revelations. I would assume it was all prerendered cutscenes, but the 3D effect was impressive. It allowed you to pause the action and zoom in on the scenes up close with limited camera movement. Looks great.

- Mario Kart 3DS looked like a little step down from Mario Kart GC graphically, but again the depth created by the 3D made the game pop out tremendously.

- Watched a trailer of How to Train Your Dragon. I'd argue the 3D effect looks much better on the 3DS screen versus in the movies and on a 3DTV. It felt more natural, plus you have the luxury of not using glasses that impair the colors.

- Buttons felt really solid and less plasticky than a DS Lite or DSi. Same goes for the d-pad. The enlarged analog nub feels wonderful in comparison to the PSP one.

There were a couple other things, but I got lost in the fun of just looking at the 3DS screen. Nintendo really has another money printer on their hands with this one.

A question for anyone at E3 whos had some hands-on time with the all black 3DS, is it a finger print magnet like the black PSPs are?

Eh... it didn't seem like it. I will admit though I was really enamoured with the screen moreso than the construction of the unit, which was solid all around.

EDIT: OH YEAH!!! Shooting people's faces in the balloon game was awesome. The 3DS recongnized faces that came into the camera and you just transition into another area where you shoot them. :lol

geeko

donkey show said:
Spent a good 45 minutes with the 3DS in the Nintendo Media Room today. Here are some impressions.

- The depth it displayed was really nice and enhanced the experience a lot, especially with Nintendogs. You really have to look at the screen dead-on in order to keep the depth visuals in sync or it will double up really quick. It was pretty much the only issue I had with it.

- Played an altered reality tech demo where you point the 3DS outside cameras on a card with a question mark. Once everything is calibrated (which took a few seconds), the visuals it displayed were very very awesome. The area around the box morphed as it expanded and contracted while targets were placed on the new contours recently made. You move yourself around the area (literally moving myself around the stool where the card was placed) looking for the targets and shooting them with arrows. The 3D depth again made the experience a lot better as it helped me navigate around the created contours and it really felt like there was an actual video game lump just showing up on the stool. It even created a hole in the area where the card was where I had to move the 3DS over to find the last target. It then generated a dragon (up to its neck) out of the hole where I had to position myself to shoot it in the mouth. Once done, the dragon came to life and you had to shoot its neck parts several times before you could attack its head. The dragon would lunge at your screen and I literally jumped several times to get out of its way while attempting to position myself around the stool to shoot its neck. Very very cool.

- Checked out the Snake Eater demo which was basically a real time cutscene where you have limited control of the camera. #1 - graphically it looks better than the PS2 version #2 - Kojima and pals did an awesome job showcasing the 3D capabilities. The fight scene with The Boss with all the petals flying around looked gorgeous.

- Checked out Resident Evil Revelations. I would assume it was all prerendered cutscenes, but the 3D effect was impressive. It allowed you to pause the action and zoom in on the scenes up close with limited camera movement. Looks great.

- Mario Kart 3DS looked like a little step down from Mario Kart GC graphically, but again the depth created by the 3D made the game pop out tremendously.

- Watched a trailer of How to Train Your Dragon. I'd argue the 3D effect looks much better on the 3DS screen versus in the movies and on a 3DTV. It felt more natural, plus you have the luxury of not using glasses that impair the colors.

- Buttons felt really solid and less plasticky than a DS Lite or DSi. Same goes for the d-pad. The enlarged analog nub feels wonderful in comparison to the PSP one.

There were a couple other things, but I got lost in the fun of just looking at the 3DS screen. Nintendo really has another money printer on their hands with this one.

Eh... it didn't seem like it. I will admit though I was really enamoured with the screen moreso than the construction of the unit, which was solid all around.

Very excite!!

yencid

donkey show said:

EDIT: OH YEAH!!! Shooting people's faces in the balloon game was awesome. The 3DS recongnized faces that came into the camera and you just transition into another area where you shoot them. :lol

how was the slide pad?

yencid said:
how was the slide pad?
The analog nub? Like I said, very solid, had decent return to zero, and felt so much nicer than the PSP one. It was rubber also. I'd argue I'd want that on their next controller.

AniHawk

VegaShinra said:
I want to hear about a Virtual Console of sorts for the system. Online is the biggest mystery left.

well they were showing off a bunch of oldschool games like super mario bros, mega man 2, and yoshi's island, and they were all in 3d.

by a bunch i mean 18.

Vinci

Danish
jetjevons said:
Let's just hope they have a better piracy prevention system this time around.

This system is going to sell software unlike any before it. Piracy, given it does negatively effect software sales, isn't going to scratch this mofo.

dak1dsk1

Banned
This is the toy of the future. It wont be cheap, boys and girls. Nintendo can pretty much charge what they want, and we will all buy it.

Vinci

Danish
dak1dsk1 said:
This is the toy of the future. It wont be cheap, boys and girls. Nintendo can pretty much charge what they want, and we will all buy it.

It'll be a maximum of $249. Odds are, they'll want to keep it around the $189 mark. At that price? People will be allowed into factories to get theirs off the line - fuck the waiting.

seady

You know, with this thing more powerful than the Wii, they could simply make a TV Input (like the PSP) and the big name sequel can now all move to this machine. There's no reason of saying 'only console can handle proper sequel because it's more powerful' now.

If you want to play 3D you can play it on the 3DS, if you want big screen go play it on the TV.

Owzers

dak1dsk1 said:

jurassic-park.jpg

Don't worry, there will be a coupon day, we don't want 3ds to just be for the rich to enjoy.

seady said:
You know, with this thing more powerful than the Wii, they could simply make a TV Input (like the PSP) and the big name sequel can now all move to this machine. There's no reason of saying 'only console can handle proper sequel because it's more powerful' now.

If you want to play 3D you can play it on the 3DS, if you want big screen go play it on the TV.

Just because it looks nice on a 3.5 inch screen, doesn't mean it'll nice on a HDTV.

Gravijah

Vinci said:
It'll be a maximum of $249. Odds are, they'll want to keep it around the $189 mark. At that price? People will be allowed into factories to get theirs off the line - fuck the waiting.

It's next to impossible that it'll be 250 dollars. I don't see it being over 200 dollars... I'm not gonna say it can't happen because I'm not an idiot, but the chances are slim.

donkey show said:

Nice thanks for the impressions. From what I saw of MGS3 3DS, I thought the PS2 version looked better, but I'll take your word for it though since you saw it 1st hand.

AranhaHunter said:
Nice thanks for the impressions. From what I saw of MGS3 3DS, I thought the PS2 version looked better, but I'll take your word for it though since you saw it 1st hand.
TBH, I'd argue that the 3D depth probably does add rose tinted glasses to what I was watching, but I did feel there was a noticeable graphical bump on this version. Just to add, the only thing I switched to 2D was on Nintendogs and I quickly switched back to 3D as it really made a huge difference in experience.

donkey show said:
TBH, I'd argue that the 3D depth probably does add rose tinted glasses to what I was watching, but I did feel there was a noticeable graphical bump on this version. Just to add, the only thing I switched to 2D was on Nintendogs and I quickly switched back to 3D as it really made a huge difference in experience.

MGS 3DS adds many new graphical improvements not found in the PS2 version. Normal mapping alone makes it a more technical impressive feat.

Wait I just remembered MGS3: Online Mode! OMG PLZ Kojima put an updated version of that in with all of the bugs fixed!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
AniHawk said:
well they were showing off a bunch of oldschool games like super mario bros, mega man 2, and yoshi's island, and they were all in 3d.

by a bunch i mean 18.
Hmm? Any other news about this?

Flying_Phoenix said:
MGS 3DS adds many new graphical improvements not found in the PS2 version. Normal mapping alone makes it a more technical impressive feat.
That's what I figured. Regardless, The Boss fight scene was beautiful in 3D. Direct screen shots do not do the system justice. :D

donkey show said:
That's what I figured. Regardless, The Boss fight scene was beautiful in 3D. Direct screen shots do not do the system justice. :D

I wonder if Nintendo will create a Preview Channel of sorts. The 3DS is the only thing that can display trailers and screenshots in 3D. Nintendo just made gaming websites and magazines obsolete.

mclem said:
Since no-one appears to have addressed this: It looks like the intent is for your head to be the pivot in such situations; that is, you turn your head right, you bring the DS around with it - so relative to your eyes, it doesn't move - and the screen updates with an appropriate amount of movement.

That *should* work without breaking the 3D effect. You will also look like a loon, but that's a given.

I think you've nailed it. That makes alot of sense.

Edit: Has anyone speculated on what that IR port does on the outside left of the system? One video, maybe Gametrailers, pointed that out, and I have no idea what the functionality is meant to be...

Edit: I did a search and see it's been mentioned, albeit with no concrete conclusions. I'm still curious.

AniHawk

abstract alien said:
...huh!? Where did this come from?
i've only said it like five times already.

they had little still videos of oldschool games in 3D. 18 of them. Super Mario Bros, Mega Man 2, and Yoshi's Island for sure. I saw Xevious too.

seady

Just wondering, does the awkward color choice of black at the top portion of the system has anything to do with the 3D effect? I wonder if it would interfere had it been the same color as the body (red, blue etc)

seady said:
Just wondering, does the awkward color choice of black at the top portion of the system has anything to do with the 3D effect? I wonder if it would interfere had it been the same color as the body (red, blue etc)
All the units I used in the Media Room were all black, but I don't think there's a specific correlation to 3D.

braves01

Banned
AniHawk said:
i've only said it like five times already.

they had little still videos of oldschool games in 3D. 18 of them. Super Mario Bros, Mega Man 2, and Yoshi's Island for sure. I saw Xevious too.

Can you describe how the 3D looked for these games? I mean, did they just add depth to backgrounds in order to make platforms, enemies, etc. pop out more, or was there something else?

Just read that this has an SD slot, hopefully they allow Virtual Console interoperability between the Wii and DS.

Does anyone know if it supports wireless routers using WPA encryption?

Linkup

If you don't think the 3D effect will have an effect on gameplay you should really watch the Iwata Ask with Miyamoto, they give a host of examples.

After watching that video it's strange that a 3D mario or any platformer for that matter wasn't announced. Guess it would be to soon anyway and plus there is already Paper Mario.

AniHawk

braves01 said:
Can you describe how the 3D looked for these games? I mean, did they just add depth to backgrounds in order to make platforms, enemies, etc. pop out more, or was there something else?

they looked very similar to the jittery gifs we've seen here without the jitteriness. so i guess the former.

Brettison said:
How do you do when you see other 3d stuff like movies. Does that make you feel sick as well?

I just ask cause it's one of the things I'm worried about.
I had no problem with Avatar. I don't if you can draw anything from that though...

I went back today, and discovered Xevious. That one rocked, it was a full playable game, and it was just the normal 2D arcade game with 8-bit graphics, but with the ground WAY far in the back. It was a great effect. I would love a classic arcade collection for the system.

Seems to be some misconfusions...

The outputted graphics are not that far aways from psp (even if I personally thinks they're way better, but that's just imo), but since the hardware has to render it 3D, hardware must be way better thant psp.

Maybe I'm mistaken. Prove me wrong. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom