• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 PC performance thread

dsk1210

I really fancied this game but they locked it at 30fps for a reason, I reckon it's one of these games that struggles with streaming assets.

Hope to be wrong.

lmimmfn

It doesn't look like it. It looks like this issue existed since it went live for everyone else but is creeping up on peeps. I can't tell if its timing wise, or how people exit the game or what. Still tying to find out.
nasty, is it trying to connect to a remote server thats down? i just find it weird that out of the blue it stops working without any external infuluence.

heringer

Man, this is driving me nuts. As soon as I enter the city the framerate tanks to low 20's (first mission with the truck). What could be happening here? I'm using Windows 8.1, newest drivers. I need some light. :(

Corpekata

Banned
Man, this is driving me nuts. As soon as I enter the city the framerate tanks to low 20's (first mission with the truck). What could be happening here? I'm using Windows 8.1, newest drivers. I need some light. :(

Then you need to provide more info. Use something like MSI afterburner, report back what your GPU usage is, temps, clock speed when it is happening, etc.

Also they have a sticky in the forums about Windows 8 users. Make sure you're up to date on what is listed there.

heringer

Then you need to provide more info. Use something like MSI afterburner, report back what your GPU usage is, temps, clock speed when it is happening, etc.

Also they have a sticky in the forums about Windows 8 users. Make sure you're up to date on what is listed there.

Where? Can't find on the official forum.

Sorry but why wouldn't you do that in the first place before complaining on a forum about performance? Latest drivers were out specifically for Mafia 3.

I didn't complain. I mentioned I was surprised. Already tested latest drivers, nothing changed.

Corpekata

Banned
Where? Can't find on the official forum.

I didn't complain. I mentioned I was surprised. Already tested latest drivers, nothing changed.

In the steam forum.

Steam forums are the defacto official forums for most game developers these days and are generally a good resource for technical issues.

Arkanius

Guys, the game doesn't seem to be rendering in 1440p despite that being my resolution at the game options. The text is blurry, and everything is blurry.

Any ideas? Or is it just part of the game ala Quantum Break?

ldcommando

Banned
Posted? Got it from the steam forums:

[UPDATED 10/6 6 PM PT] A message to our PC players.
UPDATE [10/6 / 6PM PT]: We currently have a patch running here at the studio that includes 30, 60, and unlimited frames-per-second options in the video menu, among other improvements for the PC version of Mafia III. We’re verifying the patch now to ensure everything is working as expected. If everything goes well, we expect the update to go live this weekend. We will be keeping the PC community up-to-date on the status of the patch throughout the weekend and thank you for all the feedback!

Patch hype, I guess

Vitor711

Guys, the game doesn't seem to be rendering in 1440p despite that being my resolution at the game options. The text is blurry, and everything is blurry.

Game has blurry post-process AA.

Also, for people expecting this to run at 60FPS once it's unlocked.... Yeah, not happening judging by the GPU utilization on my 980. I'm at 90% in some areas at 1440p at the 30FPS lock.

Anything that's a 970 or lower will not be getting 60FPS at 1080 maxed out, I guarantee it.

SliChillax

Have you tried lowering anti aliasing

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Game has blurry post-process AA.

Also, for people expecting this to run at 60FPS once it's unlocked.... Yeah, not happening judging by the GPU utilization on my 980. I'm at 90% in some areas at 1440p at the 30FPS lock.

Anything that's a 970 or lower will not be getting 60FPS at 1080 maxed out, I guarantee it.

I fully expect to have to turn down options on my 970 to get 60fps and that's ok, I value performance more everytime :)

Filben

The Witcher 3 ran like shit for like 6 month on console and had plenty of bugs on all platforms. Not unexpected for an ambitious game by pc centric dev but it's was hardly a smooth launch for them either.
I don't mean The Witcher or its technical aspect, I mean the developers that are widely known for their good standing with the community for various reasons like DRM free and providing many options and features gamers want.

Nzyme32

I found the best way for me to play the game is everything on high, except AA on Low, for reduced blurriness.

The game has moments of looking fantastic, and similarly moments of looking mediocre, so I don't think it is all bad.

Gamepad is broken without the keys in place since the tutorials need them and those can lock gameplay till you press the correct one that you can't see - luckily the buttons are all mapped, and also Steam Controller users have some bindings now that I uploaded that use both setups for on foot / driving for best of both worlds, and the kb mouse stuff is actually there for tutorials and other scenes.

Super frustrating is the lack of saving some settings. I have to turn down AA every time I play. Seems to remember other stuff. 60fps patch can't come soon enough, and fixes for the above bugs are sorely needed

Kind of disappointing to see, hopefully the actual game is fun.

I ordered the physical copy thinking there would be a code for steam in the box, but instead there was 6 dvd's!

Now I need to borrow an external drive to install, but might wait to see if the patch makes the game any better.

Hale_C

Gamepad is broken without the keys in place since the tutorials need them and those can lock gameplay till you press the correct one that you can't see

Have you tried going to control layout in options, and reselecting layout 1 (as in, confirming it with A/X)? That fixed the missing prompts for me, and it hasn't recurred since. I think the problem started for me when I idly flicked between the two layouts.

Nzyme32

Kind of disappointing to see, hopefully the actual game is fun.

I ordered the physical copy thinking there would be a code for steam in the box, but instead there was 6 dvd's!

Now I need to borrow an external drive to install, but might wait to see if the patch makes the game any better.

Game is great fun imo. Really love the simulated driving when you get an awesome car. It's not arcadey like the normal option, and needs some skill, but it feels very much like an old movie from the era, where you can make really good sweeping slide and turns that swing perfectly. Also naturally the story seems great thus far. Just need the 60fps update, fixes for the bugs, some options to clear up the IQ a bit more / use different better AA, and it would be fantastic

Have you tried going to control layout in options, and reselecting layout 1 (as in, confirming it with A/X)? That fixed the missing prompts for me, and it hasn't recurred since. I think the problem started for me when I idly flicked between the two layouts.

Haven't tried that. Will give it a shot tomorrow. I'm using the Steam Controller, which is using mouse and keyboard for everything but the driving switches to gamepad, and the tutorials are all broken for that, so I definitely could do with fixing it up.

4jjiyoon

Very surprised my 970 can't hold 30 fps in 1080p with everything maxed. What is the most demanding setting?

Don't know what it is then. It's in the very first gameplay part, with the truck at night. I'm driving and all of a sudden the framerate goes to 20's. Very disappointing. :/

I guess I'm just echoing what others have already said but I have a 970 and it never drops from 30. Most GPU usage I've seen is 70-75%. I'm playing at 1080p on max. i7 2600k CPU.

Tainted

I was expecting a real shitshow from reading all the impressions so far...but I am enjoying it (30fps and all). I think it looks real nice but maybe I am just easy to please in that regard. I also played through Mafia 2 from start to end just recently...so maybe that set my graphics barometer a little lower.

Only played the opening few missions...and the story/characters are great so far. Apart from the 30fps cap...I dont have any complaints whatsoever with the game at all, and the patch for that comes out in the next day or two

heringer

I guess I'm just echoing what others have already said but I have a 970 and it never drops from 30. Most GPU usage I've seen is 70-75%. I'm playing at 1080p on max. i7 2600k CPU.

Hmm, I'm formatting my PC with Windows 10. Let's see if there's any improvement.

Adnor

Banned
I'm definitely getting the weird hyperspeed weather and occasionally blown out lighting, but I gotta say, I'm surprised some people don't like the animations. Those have been the highlight for me so far, lots of great combat animation stuff in my opinion.

30fps really is a killer, though. It feels pretty sluggish.

Yeah, agreed. Maybe it's because there are not a lot of transitions in the animations, but I prefer that to something like GTA IV were the game prioritizes the animations so much the core gameplay suffers. If you push left/press A you move left in an instant, you don't waste half a second shifting your weight. Makes the gunplay so much better.

I hope they upload the patch ASAP, because I'm really liking the game so far.

Filben

Yeah, agreed. Maybe it's because there are not a lot of transitions in the animations, but I prefer that to something like GTA IV were the game prioritizes the animations so much the core gameplay suffers. If you push left/press A you move left in an instant, you don't waste half a second shifting your weight. Makes the gunplay so much better.
That's why I love Max Payne 3 so much. Superb animations (like he's holding his rifle under this shoulder to reload his handgun or you actually see switching the weapon) but without lack of precision or play-ability. Awesome gunplay with great hit feedback and no auto health-regeneration. Hard to get a shooter like this, these days, when it comes down to gameplay mechanics.

Someone on steam forums claims that there's a way to uncap the framerate with a custom launcher. Don't download that shit yet though.
mafia32016-10-0803-532gq02.png

Patch supposedly around the corner I don't see point in using some 3rd party launcher.

Indeed.

Some folks have already tried it though. And it's interesting to see that the game, as we feared, is quite demanding. Especially to achieve locked 60fps. According to those who've tried the trick (someone with a 390 can run the game at 45-50fps on high, for example). However, we don't know whether the trick gives an impact on performance or not.

4jjiyoon

game crashes after 20-30 seconds with that mod/patch.

game hovers around 40fps with a 970 on max settings fyi though.

game crashes after 20-30 seconds with that mod/patch.

game hovers around 40fps with a 970 on max settings fyi though.

Mine lasted about a good 10 minutes, then afterwards started crashing after a minute. Copied my original .exe files back and everything is fine now. Patch should be out soon anyway.

Top Bottom