• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 PC performance thread

Mr. Tibbs

So what exactly did I just download 9 gigs for? I never bought no DLC.

Hangar 13 added gameplay mechanics to the base game, including slow-motion driving, throwing grenades out of vehicles, proximity mines, new vehicles and costumes, regardless of whether if you bought the DLC, and will continue to add further improvements with the release of each of the remaining DLC packs.

Zojirushi

Hangar 13 added gameplay mechanics to the base game, including slow-motion driving, throwing grenades out of vehicles, proximity mines, new vehicles and costumes, regardless of whether if you bought the DLC, and will continue to add further improvements with the release of each of the remaining DLC packs.

9GB worth of new mechanics and a couple of new assets sounds kinda insane but ok ;)

dr_rus

9GB worth of new mechanics and a couple of new assets sounds kinda insane but ok ;)

The game's map extension is downloaded for everyone too, you can see it in the map even if you haven't bought the DLC. It was locked out though, for everyone, yesterday but I suppose that DLC owners should have it accessible by now.

So Humble Bundle has the Deluxe Edition of the game for $23.75 with the Monthly discount and further after factoring in some credit I had which made about $22 for me, I'm not out of the prologue yet but yikes... I need to tweak settings still but from the first 45 minutes where freaking cut scenes would hitch to even freeze as the first one did where I thought my system was locked up until I alt-tabbed which then the opening movie started running to issues white spots would from lights for a split second to just not being a game that looks like it should be so strenuous with its obvious last gen roots. How many PC games that are supposedly major releases these days don't have a borderless window option? The screen tearing my god the screen tearing! Hope the changes I'm making fix it. Did they just straight up remove character mirror reflections instead of actually fixing them? lol

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Having just finished the game yesterday I honestly don't understand what's wrong with its performance. Image quality, sure, it's pretty bad and there are lots of bugs. But as for performance - I've been playing at 45-60 through the whole game and I'd say that it's running pretty good performance wise.

45-60 is not "running pretty good."

I haven't tried it after the DLC update, but previously I've had to turn a couple settings down to medium or low to get out of the 40s at 1440p on a Titan X. It's an absurdly poorly performing game for how it looks.

dr_rus

45-60 is not "running pretty good."

I haven't tried it after the DLC update, but previously I've had to turn a couple settings down to medium or low to get out of the 40s at 1440p on a Titan X. It's an absurdly poorly performing game for how it looks.

45-60 is running pretty good as in absolutely playable.

I bought it seeing it was cheap but good grief I can't even manage to make it run.

3570k 970gtx 8gb ram and it just crashes after a few minutes. Tried to disable borderless window, riva tuner and the other stuff and it continues to crash.

First time it happens in a long time.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
45-60 is running pretty good as in absolutely playable.

Maybe for you, but I'd never play a game that runs between 45-60fps, I need a stable 60fps.

Tried the demo, can't maintain 60fps even on low settings with a GTX 970/3570k @ 4.3GHz so it's going in the bin, I was going to buy the full game if I enjoyed the demo but with this performance there's no chance I'm spending a penny on it. A real shame, I loved Mafia II.

dr_rus

Maybe for you, but I'd never play a game that runs between 45-60fps, I need a stable 60fps.

Tried the demo, can't maintain 60fps even on low settings with a GTX 970/3570k @ 4.3GHz so it's going in the bin, I was going to buy the full game if I enjoyed the demo but with this performance there's no chance I'm spending a penny on it. A real shame, I loved Mafia II.

I mean, ok, sure, I can understand when people want stable fps (although I fail to see why Mafia 3 needs it) but you're requesting an AAA game from 2016 to give you 60 fps on a CPU from 2012 and a GPU from 2014. This is a bit strange.

SliChillax

Get a gsync monitor then. You can't expect those old and not high end components for its time to give you 60fps stable.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, ok, sure, I can understand when people want stable fps (although I fail to see why Mafia 3 needs it) but you're requesting an AAA game from 2016 to give you 60 fps on a CPU from 2012 and a GPU from 2014. This is a bit strange.

You mean like every other game I play? Not so strange. CPU tech hasn't advanced much since 2011, which is why people are still using the 2500k with great results. The game is just broken when it comes to performance and there's no defending it.

Get a gsync monitor then. You can't expect those old and not high end components for its time to give you 60fps stable.

Yes I can, every other game I play does. I always aim for 60fps without dips at 1080p and I always get that without issue, the toughest game to run recently was Tomb Raider and I still had most settings on high with a few turned down to medium (fancy hair off as well). Most games still run at 60fps without dips on a mixture of high and ultra so if you're telling me I can't expect bloody Mafia III to run at 60fps on low settings at 900p then you're crazy.

Zojirushi

I mean come on, I know where you're coming from (kinda) but just comparing what you get here visually to other games and then seeing how this is probably the worst performing game I've played in years, it's just a little disappointing.

Now they might run some super advanced and demanding visual tech in the background that makes everything run like shit and that people just fail to appreciate (like Nier does) but yeah...

dr_rus

I mean come on, I know where you're coming from (kinda) but just comparing what you get here visually to other games and then seeing how this is probably the worst performing game I've played in years, it's just a little disappointing.

Now they might run some super advanced and demanding visual tech in the background that makes everything run like shit and that people just fail to appreciate (like Nier does) but yeah...

I would say that it's one of few games which doesn't run too well on 4C/4T CPUs even of the latest generation. But I wouldn't call it badly performing per se, considering that it does look pretty great sometimes meaning that it does run some pretty advanced stuff which isn't that common in modern games. They messed up with AA which is the game's biggest issue really wrt visuals.

xpsycho87x

Neo Member
I'm playing at 50hz/50 fps and is as perfect as 50 fps can be. Doesn't goes under 50 driving or shooting. Obviously settings are not maxed, but this game is not night and day between max and medium.

Can you tell me how to switch to 50hz? On fullscreen game is locked to 60hz, did you use borderless window?

finley83

Banned
Nvidia CP -> Change resolution -> Select "50Hz" from the drop-down list.

Alternatively create a custom resolution with 1 less vertical pixel (so you can identify it from the resolution list in game) and set refresh rate to 50hz. For example, I have a custom Res of 1920*1079.

xpsycho87x

Neo Member
Alternatively create a custom resolution with 1 less vertical pixel (so you can identify it from the resolution list in game) and set refresh rate to 50hz. For example, I have a custom Res of 1920*1079.

I'll try this method because Mafia doesn't pick the res/refresh rate currently used on desktop, it just forces 60hz

UPDATE: tried but the game doesn't recognize the 1920x1079 resolution.

IMACOMPUTA

Returning to this game after getting a i5 8600k and a 1080ti.
Can't get 4k60 despite graphical settings.
It's around 55 but it sure doesn't feel like it. Feels like the game is running in slow motion. I can't explain it.

Derko1

Neo Member
Turn reflections down to low and you'll be fine... little to no difference in quality.

Was SLI ever figured out?

JaxBriggs

I've played through this game already on PS4 but have picked it up on the cheap for PC with all the DLC. My rig is getting a little long in the tooth now (i5-3570k, 980, 8GB) but still I can normally get 1080/60 in most modern games but it seems no matter what settings I change here I can't get a locked 60fps. It seems to hover around 50fps (especially when driving) and it's kinda jarring.

Still a great game though and I'm still enjoying it on my second playthrough but the PC port is a bit of a shame.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I've played through this game already on PS4 but have picked it up on the cheap for PC with all the DLC. My rig is getting a little long in the tooth now (i5-3570k, 980, 8GB) but still I can normally get 1080/60 in most modern games but it seems no matter what settings I change here I can't get a locked 60fps. It seems to hover around 50fps (especially when driving) and it's kinda jarring.

Still a great game though and I'm still enjoying it on my second playthrough but the PC port is a bit of a shame.

Yeah, it can be rather demanding on the CPU side. Note, for instance, the relatively sizeable lead the 2600K and 4770K have over their respective 4c/4t counterparts:

m_proz.png

Top Bottom