• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus Premium Service announced [S-CONF]

yencid

hell i already bought wipeout HD and fury a long time ago :lol

i also already paid for Qore but thats about to expire about the same time this starts.

havent played pixel junk games so i hope they offer some of those.

surly

Banned
see5harp said:
If you are enough of a Sony gamer to pay for PSN+ and haven't yet bought Wipeout HD and Fury Expansion, you are an embarrassment to your fellow soldiers that have been fighting the good fight for years.
lol.

When I got my PS3 a couple of years ago, I bought all of the PSN games I liked the look of from the back catalogue. I've since bought any release that I think I'll like. All that leaves is stuff I don't care about, or maybe the odd game where if I played it, I'd find I like it, but that doesn't make PSN+ a good prospect for me, because they'll be dipping into that back catalogue for their "free" games, so the bulk of it will be games I already own or games I don't want.

yencid

surly said:
lol.

When I got my PS3 a couple of years ago, I bought all of the PSN games I liked the look of from the back catalogue. I've since bought any release that I think I'll like. All that leaves is stuff I don't care about, or maybe the odd game where if I played it, I'd find I like it, but that doesn't make PSN+ a good prospect for me, because they'll be dipping into that back catalogue for their "free" games, so the bulk of it will be games I already own or games I don't want.
well then for you it seems like the discounts part of the deal is the one that you would like since you buy so much already :p

netguy503

yencid said:
well then for you it seems like the discounts part of the deal is the one that you would like since you buy so much already :p

plus the hour demos of retail games, the cross game chat, and instant game patching...there are alot of features people are glossing over when they say "I already have that game".

yencid

netguy503 said:
plus the hour demos of retail games, the cross game chat, and instant game patching...there are alot of features people are glossing over when they say "I already have that game".
no cross game chat according to sony.

surly

Banned
yencid said:
I don't think 15 games is a lot out when you consider I'm choosing from about 3½ years worth of releases. I'd be paying £40 a year in the hope I get discounts on games I'm interested in, when I'm only buying about 4-5 games a year as it is. I'll certainly keep my eye on it to see what games/discounts are offered in the first few months, but right now I'm not tempted at all.

The automatic patching is good, assuming I have some control over what's downloaded (I don't want patches for games I've borrowed and given back, or games I owned but have since sold), it's all done in the background (including installing the patches) and it can be done while I'm playing a game.

How is the 1 hour demo thing going to work? You download the full game, which you can then play for an hour, then you get the option of purchasing an unlock key? That would be good if the prices of the games are competitive with retail, but looking at the prices of downloadable PSP games on PSN and Games on Demand on Live, I can't see that being the case. Whether I'd use it to just demo games and then buy the Blu-Ray version would depend on the size of the downloads.

slider

Speaking of PSN is anyone getting a message about re-agreeing to the ToS or something similar?

I get this....

To sign in, you must accept the Terms of Service / User Agreement and Privacy Policy again.

Euro account and I'm in the middle of something so can't check my US and Japan accounts.

Just wondering if there was any advertised change to the ToS?

EDIT: Added spice...

zobbpj.jpg

TTP said:
You can't really believe such a FAQ will be of any use to us. I bet it wont add anything new to the info we already got.
Well I believe that if they want people to buy this it should have more information than we already have. Who knows if they will do it right.

see5harp

I sorta agree with most of the sentiments here doubting the quality of the games they'll be offering for free. Like many, I have Wipeout/Fury, Joe Danger, all the Pixel Junk games, and generally anything else deemed "great" on PSN. Automatic patching really isn't a bonus for me. I turn a game on, and wait for the patch. It works on 360 just fine, and for the most part I don't have an issue with the way it works on PSN.

I would have loved auto-updating a few years ago when Hot Shots had massive updates every other week. It really hasn't been an issue in some time.

fixuis

Full bluray game downloads. This alone makes the service worth it. Imagine being able to download games like uncharted 2 or killzone 2 or infamous. Flawless victory.

slider said:
Speaking of PSN is anyone getting a message about re-agreeing to the ToS or something similar?

I get this....

To sign in, you must accept the Terms of Service / User Agreement and Privacy Policy again.

Euro account and I'm in the middle of something so can't check my US and Japan accounts.

Just wondering if there was any advertised change to the ToS?

I just tried this after seeing your post, and I'm getting the same thing. I'm actually reading through the TOS.

Edit: There is what appears to be a new 'Subscription' section in the TOS. There is also a Playstation Plus section.

If you do not renew your subscription to Playstation Plus immediately after it expires, say a month or so later, you may lose the rights to the content you had access to while a subscriber. This is called 'Type II' content. So, if we want all of our content, we'll just have to keep subscribing forever! :lol
Maybe that was obvious, but I had it in my head that if I resubscribed after a month or so after it expires, I'd get the rights to access the stuff I downloaded before again, as it would still be on my HDD.

yencid said:
galvanise you should make a new thread on this.

use the picture as well.

Is it that much of a big deal? I mean that Playstation Plus stuff is going to be in the Playstation Plus TOS and TAC. I don't think it warrants a new thread.

MrPliskin

Banned
netguy503 said:
plus if they add the add on to that would be cool.

also you get the $25 dollar yearly Qore subscription in one month= that's basically $50 in the first month right there.

So this goes live next week, right?

I thought it went live tomorrow?

yencid

Galvanise_ said:
Is it that much of a big deal? I mean that Playstation Plus stuff is going to be in the Playstation Plus TOS and TAC. I don't think it warrants a new thread.

im pretty sure it does, since the new way gaf is going new threads are creating when substantial changes are made, or news revealed, this seems thread worthy.

MrPliskin said:
Double checked: The Firmware Update goes live tomrrow, but the service doesn't start until a week after.

Well thats weird. Why didn't they just put this new TOS in the new FW instead of me having to agree to it today. . .AND tomorrow. Odd people.

Carl

Dunno if this was already know but after skimming the new ToS:

Two sorts of content -

Type 1 content which you will "still be able to access and use after your subscription period expires"

- Premium Avatars
- Premium theme

Type 2 content which you will "no longer be able to access and use after your subscription period expres"

- PSN games
- PSOne games
- Minis
- "Premium game elements"

"If you do not renew your subscription immediately...but later renew your subscription, you may lose your rights to access any type 2 content".

Subscriber content may be available for non subscribers to buy

Automatic download

- Can be activated by one account per PS3
- Provided the console is in standby and has an internet connection it will turn on "approximately every 48 hours" during a user-set time period - various firmware, patches, demos can be auto downloaded
- Firmware will not be installed until you yourself have accepted the T and Cs
- Game patches based on "games most recently played on your console"
- "There may be a limit on the number of auto downloaded game demos available per console at any one time"
- Once limit i reached, unaccessed demos could be deleted to make room
- Auto downloaded stuff which has not been accessed within one month may be auto deleted from the console
- Auto downloaded content "may not be downloaded" if there is less than 5GB of space, if the console is already on, or if firmware is out of date

Full game trials

- Length of trial specified in game description
- Must be connected to PSN when the game is booted for first time
- The trial period will run from the first boot up

That's about everything interesting. Apologies if this was already known

AwRy108

DMPrince said:
So PlayStation+ isn't worth it. I'd just pay $20/year for Cross game chat.

At this point, me too. Why in God's name would anyone pay for PSN+? There's no advantages, no selling points! Hell, what they DO offer should already be part of everyone's standard firmware.

Dumbass SONY.

Dr. Light

Type 2 content which you will "no longer be able to access and use after your subscription period expres"

- PSN games
- PSOne games
- Minis
- "Premium game elements"

Wow, that is awe-inspiringly terrible. What a shame, it sounded like a good deal until then.

Call me when you can actually keep your shit, and I'd sign up for this. Not interested in extended rentals.

Kogepan

Seems PLUS is coming to Asia as well.

Price is $233 hkd (29.87 usd) for a year. Doesn't appear to be any initial signup bonus.

Free Game for June is : ZEN pinball and a Mini. Free Fat Princess avatars. Some other stuff as well.

No Qore as expected, since it wont be translated for the asian market.

Massa

TTP said:
Just stumbled into this video interview with John Koller in which he says cross game chat "is built into some games now. You can do it with some games". :lol

http://www.viddler.com/explore/Joystiq/videos/3623/ @8:00

God, I understand this is a marketing guy, but can you be so clueless about the product you are selling?

Anyway, he seems very nervous/insecure during the whole interview.

Edit - Here is the 1st part of the interview (mostly PSP stuff)
http://www.viddler.com/explore/Joystiq/videos/3628/

Can you blame him? If I worked at Sony and my job was to sell the PSP, 3D gaming for $2k TVs, Move 4 years after the Wii and PSN subscriptions with free online gaming I would be pretty nervous in interviews as well. :p

Kogepan said:
Seems PLUS is coming to Asia as well.

Price is $233 hkd (29.87 usd) for a year. Doesn't appear to be any initial signup bonus.

Free Game for June is : ZEN pinball and a Mini. Free Fat Princess avatars. Some other stuff as well.

No Qore as expected, since it wont be translated for the asian market.

So there's a chance that US can buy PlayStation+ without Qore.

Crisis said:
Not... Really. Not sure where you got that idea.
I mean it's $49.99 for US here because of Qore. I mean does anyone really want that shit thing? it was terrible since it's like offering free shit content just to watch lame interviews which we could get from other online media site. You get the occassional exclusive things like betas but you can also get that from other gaming sites.

I think they should offer at least 2 type of PlayStation+. one with qore and one without. and make that one $29.99.

Watch all the Ps1 games will be the lame sports title and Spec-Ops :lol.

Kogepan

DMPrince said:
I mean it's $49.99 for US here because of Qore. I mean does anyone really want that shit thing? it was terrible since it's like offering free shit content just to watch lame interviews which we could get from other online media site. You get the occassional exclusive things like betas but you can also get that from other gaming sites.

I think they should offer at least 2 type of PlayStation+. one with qore and one without. and make that one $29.99.

well, the HK version isn't getting Wipeout HD or LBP free either. Game selection might not be as good too, since theres no mention of a guaranteed number of PSN/Mini/PS1 games each month....for example in July, the only free games will be 1 mini and 1 PS1 game.

June: http://asia.playstation.com/hk/en/psn/plus_offer
July: http://asia.playstation.com/hk/en/psn/plus_offer?next=1

womfalcs3

Banned
Carl said:
Automatic download

- Provided the console is in standby and has an internet connection it will turn on "approximately every 48 hours" during a user-set time period - various firmware, patches, demos can be auto downloaded
- "There may be a limit on the number of auto downloaded game demos available per console at any one time"
- Auto downloaded stuff which has not been accessed within one month may be auto deleted from the console
- Auto downloaded content "may not be downloaded" if there is less than 5GB of space, if the console is already on, or if firmware is out of date

I don't like the sound of the bolded items. It's better to know what is happening to your system, rather letting it do stuff on its own. Manually doing everything is better, even if it may take some time.

androvsky

DMPrince said:

Watch all the Ps1 games will be the lame sports title and Spec-Ops :lol.

Honestly, it's $49.99 in the U.S. because that's what Live's official price is. It was always going to be that price, no matter what they offered. They just have to hope they can add enough features so that people actually subscribe.

I'm betting Asia's cheaper because of the exchange rate and lack of pressure from Live. I'm actually a bit surprised they're not getting the premium version of Mainichi Isshyo (or whatever it's called now) instead of Qore. Maybe Japan is? Hopefully they can throw in the Gundam viewer app too. :)

Kogepan said:
well, the HK version isn't getting Wipeout HD or LBP free either. Game selection might not be as good too, since theres no mention of a guaranteed number of PSN/Mini/PS1 games each month....for example in July, the only free games will be 1 mini and 1 PS1 game.
Yeah but still. I have an issue about them picking my free games and content :\

androvsky said:
Honestly, it's $49.99 in the U.S. because that's what Live's official price is. It was always going to be that price, no matter what they offered. They just have to hope they can add enough features so that people actually subscribe.

I'm betting Asia's cheaper because of the exchange rate and lack of pressure from Live. I'm actually a bit surprised they're not getting the premium version of Mainichi Isshyo (or whatever it's called now) instead of Qore. Maybe Japan is? Hopefully they can throw in the Gundam viewer app too. :)

Throwing in Qore just to fill up the features is stupid :lol.
All that's going to happen is they'll say "We have more features to announce coming soon but right now just buy PlayStation+"

They need to think this out more :\

Especially since we're basically stuck with the fixed price since you can only buy through the PSN store. i'm okay with Live as you can buy the LIVE card anywhere for cheap!

Speevy

Banned
This may not have anything to do with this thread, but one feature I wish they'd add to a hypothetical service for either the PS3 or Xbox 360 is the ability to choose a single full-release title to download and play.

Maybe one a year if they let you keep it on your system, or one a month if they alternated.

I'd pay some serious money for that. Yes I know Gamefly bla bla, but my idea sticks with the digital rental idea without the insane financial commitment.

netguy503

Carl said:
Automatic download

Are people in this thread actually OK with this? This sounds VERY dangerous to me and you're almost playing with fire or Russian roulette with your console in a world with the YLOD (which is again Sony's fault). So my system will just turn on automatically even if I'm away to download a patch of a game I have but maybe not want patched at that time. It also shuts off when the patch is done. Isn't that what Sony themselves says causes the YLOD? The turning on and off of the console quickly and suddenly because of the heat it gives off? It say I can possibly set the time I want my system to be on once it starts downloading but I dunno about that either. As a YLOD survivor I'm extremely paranoid about my system and I wouldn't like the fact that I can't manually control when I want my system on or not anymore. I'd be putting the fate of a future YLOD into the hands of a machine that itself YLOD's.:lol

Also it will manually decide for itself to delete updates/demos if I don't access them within one month? What if I'm on vacation or a business trip? Guess what, I have to go back and download huge file sizes all over again which leaves my system on further and longer also contributing to when it might YLOD. I can see why a person can't subscribe a few months after the service begins and expect to get all the previous months content with his subscription, that sounds fair, but if I'm a paying member I expect to be treated like a king.

I dunno why other people, especially other YLOD survivors, have not brought up what I quoted before me. It's actually surprising to me. I bet that feature alone will up the ante of YLOD systems and Sony's going to get alot of complaints on this one. And guess what, once your system dies if it indeed does (and I don't know how it won't with this system in play- could take awhile though), all your games and everything you earned go with it. That would be the real kicker- "I lost a $600 game system on a half-baked psn sh!t deal that wasn't even good to begin with".:lol :(

Cruzader

Banned
I think Automatic Downloads should have some options that you could toggle on/off. For example deleting not played content after a while and automatic FW update. That way you have control of that stuff and can be done manually if chosen.

Also Qore didnt jack up the price for this thing. It was gonna be 50 regardless of it so you are getting 1 year free of Qore. Free content is always nice plus the betas that you will get into from that and PSN+ is good.

Only thing that bothers me is the renting of games through the year. I wish you could keep your stuff after that year of service is over...would be a better incentive to keep in the service.(keep getting free shit)

so can we subscribe today? Or does it start next week? Also, is that free 3 month offer for early subscribers still going to happen?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Disappointed about the automatic download functionality. I was expecting it to be happen in the background while the system is on but it turns out it's just the system turning on automatically every couple of days to check for updates to download.

Sounds pretty useless. I use my PS3 daily and will likely continue downloading updates as soon as they go live.

I wonder what happens if the system is on. Will it still download stuff automatically when the time comes? Or does turning it on reset the 48hrs counter?

It's nice that it downloads game patches without having to start the game, though. Hopefully it does this even for BD games when they aren't in the drive but are known (either via install, save file, trophy data, or some other method) to be something owned by the user.

My hope is that there's some sort of manual "check for game patches" functionality usable even by people who don't have PSN+. Something that'd check all of your retail games and PSN games for patches simultaneously so you wouldn't have to follow the news about them and so you wouldn't have to start the games up in order to patch them.

Top Bottom