• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus Premium Service announced [S-CONF]

Afrikan

it would've been nice if this service also included that extended warranty thing for older PS3s.....my launch is still kicking strong, but that would've been one more incentive to get it........I think the discounts on PS Store purchases should be enough for me though...along with the early access stuff.

MrPliskin

Banned
What Sony needs right now is some transparency. As it stands, this is all double speak and bullshit. They need to have someone come out and detail this without any smoke or mirrors.

As of right now, this is putting some negative light on Sony, more so than them not having it at all. To see that they have it finished, and gamers are being 'strung along' so to speak, is unacceptable.

graywolf323 said:
I'm still pissed at Sony's CS because they refuse to deactivate my account on my original PS3 that was stolen

they claim they can only deactivate accounts on consoles sent in for repair (which is BS)

Dammit.

Give us a remote deactivation feature in PS+, Sony.
Do it.

PLEASE

krae_man

I think the reason for not allowing remote deactivation is the games work offline, so In theory people could just never take the system online and Sony would have no way to deactivate the system.

Loudninja

MrPliskin said:
What Sony needs right now is some transparency. As it stands, this is all double speak and bullshit. They need to have someone come out and detail this without any smoke or mirrors.

As of right now, this is putting some negative light on Sony, more so than them not having it at all. To see that they have it finished, and gamers are being 'strung along' so to speak, is unacceptable.

Jeff Rubenstein | June 20th, 2010 at 2:40 pm
The team is working on an FAQ for everyone. I hope to have it out there this week

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/06/20/playstation-around-the-web-what-we-read-103/

Hopefully this should help. :)

AndyD

aka andydumi
krae_man said:
I think the reason for not allowing remote deactivation is the games work offline, so In theory people could just never take the system online and Sony would have no way to deactivate the system.

Its true, but there is a lot of grief for those who do play online and who are having issues. After all Sony should care more for those who play online as they are far likelier spenders than offliners.

Infinite Justice said:
Supposedly the 22nd was when the firmware would hit and the service hits on the 29th.

I'm not sure if that's the case anymore.
I hope this is the case, but it's odd that the blog hasn't said anything about it yet.

AwRy108

MrPliskin said:

Agreed 100%. Service shouldn't have even been announced without having concrete details. While I have plenty of disposable income, even I'm wary of spending even a penny of this service b/c the details are so cloudy.

I would love to get PSN+ but if they don't tell me how i can opt out of the qore Yearly sub (Which I subbed in April) then they can fuck off especially Grace Chen.

I mean I game on ps3 more than any system so this would be very beneficial to me.

yencid

im jumping in. I imagine that going forward sony will leave the online for free but new features will be for PSN+

Majine

Banned
yencid said:
im jumping in. I imagine that going forward sony will leave the online for free but new features will be for PSN+
I hope so. Getting money is hopefully reason enough for Sony to really compete with Microsoft in the online department.

I'm not fond of the idea of Sony choosing my content, so I'll skip for now tho.

krae_man

5's a lot of licenses. If you are running out, you've done some sharring period. losing one license shouldn't cause problems.

krae_man

DMPrince said:
I would love to get PSN+ but if they don't tell me how i can opt out of the qore Yearly sub (Which I subbed in April) then they can fuck off especially Grace Chen.

I mean I game on ps3 more than any system so this would be very beneficial to me.

Why did you (re)subscribe in April? Qore has been a total ripoff for a full year.

Foxix Von

I'll consider this.

I've always greatly disliked the way the concept of "purchasing and owning" DLC is currently being handled and I've always been infatuated with the idea of treating the content as what it actually is, a lease, and just letting me subscribe to a sort of netflix of content. This looks to be the closest I'll get to that.

I actually like the concept of PSN+ vs XBL in which you're basically subscribing to have advertisements plastered on your system.

AndyD

aka andydumi
krae_man said:
5's a lot of licenses. If you are running out, you've done some sharring period. losing one license shouldn't cause problems.

Maybe, maybe not. Some people have more than one console in the house. And if each of those was serviced once, they they are already up to 4 licenses used up.

The worst is when you log onto a friend's PS3 and then they have it serviced. That's a lost license right there. I know you could activate/deactivate every time you went to your friend's house, but that's a pain and the whole point is to be social not bogged down in the nitty gritty.

I think every license lost on a PS3 that was serviced should be automatically freed up. I serviced my PS3 twice and both times they did not automatically deactivate, but did so when I later called them up on the phone. If my friend send in his PS3, I cant call and say I sent it in, because its someone else's machine.

yencid

woot my Qore subscription is not up until july something and thats when im buying PSN+ so it all works for me :>

NullPointer said:
It won't be a true FAQ if it doesn't answer our questions about cross-game chat. That's about the most frequently asked question I've seen.

im pretty sure they have answered this question about 5 times.

at least not on release.

NullPointer said:
It won't be a true FAQ if it doesn't answer our questions about cross-game chat. That's about the most frequently asked question I've seen.
they'll answer it. "Well talk about more features later", "Part of features we are currently looking into. Stay tuned"

Alex

MidgarBlowedUp said:
PSN+ = Best Online Service Idea Yet For Consoles.

I still don't get why people say LIVE is the best service out there. Since when is paying money to get the same service I get on my PC a deal?

Xbox Live is a rip to be sure compared to the PC side. It's a shitty version of modern Steam for 40-50 dollars a year. It was especially obnoxious to me as I don't play many online console titles, and in the rare occasion I'd get some new co-op title, come home and then it'd sink in that I needed to subscribe.

However, for most people, the way it's done accents their services pretty naturally. MS has their OS and services and network structure rigged up *very* well, to the point where paying for the few things you get with Gold almost seems pretty paltry. That and despite P2P, they do have a good backbone, even for that. Getting Gamespy in too many PC and PS3 titles lately can still make you sigh a little.

PSN+ just seems like a bit of a mess to me, it will probably be good value for some folks, but it to me it looks like like they didn't really know what to add, or how they could add it on a live console on their OS, so they took some random deals and parsed it together as some subscription plan. It looks lazy and a bit sad, it's like one of those big books of coupons that comes in the mail. Like they have no intentions of really fixing or adding anything to PSN or the PS3 XMB.

That aside, for the future, I just really hope the PS4 makes some stupidly massive leaps with it's setup. Like matching parity with 360 all it's nice things, then beef up their own often dormant hooks like Youtube uploads, iffy download speeds, even Home integration (and I HATE Home and avatars and Miis and all that shit, I just figure if it's going to be around, why not splice it in so you can actually turn better profit on it)

In general, I really want next-gen for consoles to be more about getting out machines with good build quality, at good prices, with incredible OS and software support. There still isn't a need for much more horsepower. Maybe some DX10 effects, more ram, etc, but making another huge leap isn't going to do anyone much good.

CozMick

Banned
So let me get this straight, PSN+ is basically a student card that you have to pay for?

Discounted and free offers on the Store?

krae_man

AndyD said:
Maybe, maybe not. Some people have more than one console in the house. And if each of those was serviced once, they they are already up to 4 licenses used up.

The worst is when you log onto a friend's PS3 and then they have it serviced. That's a lost license right there. I know you could activate/deactivate every time you went to your friend's house, but that's a pain and the whole point is to be social not bogged down in the nitty gritty.

I think every license lost on a PS3 that was serviced should be automatically freed up. I serviced my PS3 twice and both times they did not automatically deactivate, but did so when I later called them up on the phone. If my friend send in his PS3, I cant call and say I sent it in, because its someone else's machine.

That's different. If you send your system in for repair and get a different model back, Sony should deactivate the old system. I doubt that's the reason most of the complainers are having license issues.

I bought a movie on my old PS3 60gig and for some reason i cant buy movies on my new Slim.
Sony said something about your username is tied to one Ps3 for movie purchases, s I have buy all my video under a new PSN ID for this PS3 or send in the broekn one and pay $150 for deactivation (repair)

Loudninja

CozMick said:
So let me get this straight, PSN+ is basically a student card that you have to pay for?

Discounted and free offers on the Store?

So far:
-You rent 12 PSN games,24 minis , and 12 PS1 classics, for a year subscription.
-Premium avatars and dynamic themes each month * You keep these*
-Access to selected demos and beta trails
-Full Game Trials
-Automatic Downloads
-Qore subscription
-Discounts on PS store content*you keep whatever you buy of course

yencid

krae_man said:
How do you know Qore is getting it? I cant remember, Qore didn't get the first one did they? I think I had to get my code from 1up.
i believe Qore did get it. I know i was in it and BELIEVE it was from Qore

krae_man said:
How do you know Qore is getting it? I cant remember, Qore didn't get the first one did they? I think I had to get my code from 1up.
Qore yearly sub. IDK if there was one for the month sub. but yearly had it.

So im banking on another one this year unless they decide to add it to PSN+ just for the lols.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
DMPrince said:
i always liked EU offer if it was download only which it is right? i swear US has some shit offers :\

Yes. They offer a never before released downloadable version of LittleBigPlanet for PS3.

I hope LBP2 comes out as a downloadable package as well. Even better if I can download it right into my veins.

I'm glad they are putting together a FAQ but damn that should have been created before you even told anyone about this service. I might go for it, but despite that bullet point list they need to make everything about this service clear to people.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
BobTheFork said:
I'm glad they are putting together a FAQ but damn that should have been created before you even told anyone about this service. I might go for it, but despite that bullet point list they need to make everything about this service clear to people.

You can't really believe such a FAQ will be of any use to us. I bet it wont add anything new to the info we already got.

TTP said:
Yes. They offer a never before released downloadable version of LittleBigPlanet for PS3.

I hope LBP2 comes out as a downloadable package as well. Even better if I can download it right into my veins.

So does this mean Sony will be introducing something similar to Xbox's "Games on Demand" on PSN?

Sapiens

I'm still really not seeing the value at all here.

I love what I'm getting for free, right now, so I see no reason to pay for extras I see no real value in.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Just stumbled into this video interview with John Koller in which he says cross game chat "is built into some games now. You can do it with some games". :lol

http://www.viddler.com/explore/Joystiq/videos/3623/ @8:00

God, I understand this is a marketing guy, but can you be so clueless about the product you are selling?

Anyway, he seems very nervous/insecure during the whole interview.

Edit - Here is the 1st part of the interview (mostly PSP stuff)
http://www.viddler.com/explore/Joystiq/videos/3628/

yencid

Sapiens said:
I'm still really not seeing the value at all here.

I love what I'm getting for free, right now, so I see no reason to pay for extras I see no real value in.
dude wipeout HD alone is 20 bucks so the first month ALONE you get about half your worth for what you paid for a year

netguy503

yencid said:
dude wipeout HD alone is 20 bucks so the first month ALONE you get about half your worth for what you paid for a year

plus if they add the add on to that would be cool.

also you get the $25 dollar yearly Qore subscription in one month= that's basically $50 in the first month right there.

So this goes live next week, right?

yencid said:
This is somewhat worthless to someone like myself who already bought Wipeout HD two years ago.

yencid

Monty Mole said:
This is somewhat worthless to someone like myself who already bought Wipeout HD two years ago.
well obviously, But it is worth it for those who havent bought it before. im just saying, it IS worth it. If they do offer decent games every month it is def worth it.

see5harp

If you are enough of a Sony gamer to pay for PSN+ and haven't yet bought Wipeout HD and Fury Expansion, you are an embarrassment to your fellow soldiers that have been fighting the good fight for years.

Top Bottom