• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus Premium Service announced [S-CONF]

Gwanatu T

I like this concept a lot. This is one of the two things I wanted to see come from the competition between PSN and XBLive (really I just wanted both to be free). Offering discounts on PSN titles (and hopefully MS does it with XBLA titles too) is a mega awesome idea and one that I would definitely take advantage of.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Guardian Bob said:
I think I would pay for this. If they put a little + symbol beside your psn name, im sure people would want to show off to their friends.

BTW they do this on Xbox Live as I'm sure you know. Silver members get a silver band behind their gamertag on their gamertag, gold members get a gold band, and a circle with the number of years they've been a live member in it.

krae_man

Cruzader said:
Also just to remind you guys, PSN+ will include 12 months of Qore. Thats $25 by itself thrown into PSN+. So you are only paying $25 for the free games/discounts etc.

Qore minus the downloadable goodies is worth ZERO. Qore doesn't get downloadable goodies anymore because of PSN+. You're getting Qore for nothing because that's what it's worth now.

noah111

Still Alive
darkwing said:
hmmm wondering if game sharing works on a PSN+ account
No reason why it shouldn't.. hell they should get up to 7-10 systems to share with! :p As someone else said they should let you remotely deactivate systems with Plus as well..

AndyD

aka andydumi
Well the US press release does not mention a copy of LBP. And no one is answering questions in the blog.

Sentry said:
No reason why it shouldn't.. hell they should get up to 7-10 systems to share with! :p As someone else said they should let you remotely deactivate systems with Plus as well..

Yes, so does anyone know if anything has been said/leaked?

krae_man said:
Qore minus the downloadable goodies is worth ZERO. Qore doesn't get downloadable goodies anymore because of PSN+. You're getting Qore for nothing because that's what it's worth now.

Erm... How do you know this?

Mrbob

Are you getting all monthly episodes of QORE with PSN+, or just some?

Also, do you get stuff retroactively if you subscribe after? For example I saw this on the Playstation blog:

At launch, PlayStation Plus will offer subscribers the full PlayStation Network game, WipEout HD, full game trial of inFAMOUS, PSP minis and PS One Classics such as Fieldrunners, Age of Zombies and Rally Cross, as well as premium avatars, themes and DLC levels and map packs. Additionally, subscribers will always have access to their virtual library of free games for as long as they keep their PlayStation Plus subscription. In all, subscribers will get an unprecedented amount of value, access and convenience and, in the first month alone, will receive more than $50 worth of content.

If I subscribe 3 months down the line, do I still get these goodies? Does everything keep on adding up or do you have to be actively subscribed in a certain month to get them?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Mrbob said:
Are you getting all monthly episodes of QORE with PSN+, or just some?

Also, do you get stuff retroactively if you subscribe after? For example I saw this on the Playstation blog:

If I subscribe 3 months down the line, do I still get these goodies? Does everything keep on adding up or do you have to be actively subscribed in a certain month to get them?

Probably not retroactive. You build up from when you sign up. Otherwise someone could just sign up for 3 months say in October and enjoy the benefits of someone who signed up for 12 months but in January and paid for the previous 9 months.

AndyD said:
Probably not retroactive. You build up from when you sign up. Otherwise someone could just sign up for 3 months say in October and enjoy the benefits of someone who signed up for 12 months but in January and paid for the previous 9 months.

Yes, it was confirmed to not be retroactive.
Also, you have to manually click on/download the free stuff for each month yourself, so e.g. if you subscribe in July but you are on vacation during the whole of August, you then won't get the stuff that was free during August.

LosDaddie

Banned
Extremely entertaining thread considering most of GAF's anti-XBL stance on pricing. :D

Personally, nothing offered in the beginning is enough for me to pay $50 for, but I'm willing to pay if/once that changes. I'm very curious to see what Sony has planned for the future of PSN+.

krae_man

Metalmurphy said:
Erm... How do you know this?

Year one of Qore:

Calling all Cars, High Velocity Bowling, Spyro PS1, Syphon Filter PS1, Linger in Shadows

Year 2 of Qore:

DeTuned

If "by how do you know this?" you mean do I know for sure that Qore will not only no longer get any free games but no longer get any demos first or Beta access then no I don't know for sure if those things will be removed from Qore as well.

Regardless. If Year 2 of Qore is any indication, Its not worth $25/year.

Toki767

SolidusDave said:
Also, you have to manually click on/download the free stuff for each month yourself, so e.g. if you subscribe in July but you are on vacation during the whole of August, you then won't get the stuff that was free during August.
I'd imagine that's where the push downloads would come into play so that the system could download whatever is free for you without you having to manually do it. At least, that would be the smart thing for Sony to do. :lol

JesseZao

krae_man said:
Year one of Qore:

Calling all Cars, High Velocity Bowling, Spyro PS1, Syphon Filter PS1, Linger in Shadows

Year 2 of Qore:

DeTuned

If "by how do you know this?" you mean do I know for sure that Qore will not only no longer get any free games but no longer get any demos first or Beta access then no I don't know for sure if those things will be removed from Qore as well.

Sounds like you were a test run for PS+.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
krae_man said:
Year one of Qore:

Year 2 of Qore:

DeTuned

So the excuse of, "ITS LIKE IT PAYS FOR ITSELF!". Is no longer valid for Qore, but just switching over to PSN+

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
LosDaddie said:
Extremely entertaining thread considering most of GAF's anti-XBL stance on pricing. :D
Personally, nothing offered in the beginning is enough for me to pay $50 for, but I'm willing to pay if/once that changes. I'm very curious to see what Sony has planned for the future of PSN+.

This is pretty much my stance 100%. I'm in a wait and see phase.

Stumpokapow said:
BTW they do this on Xbox Live as I'm sure you know. Silver members get a silver band behind their gamertag on their gamertag, gold members get a gold band, and a circle with the number of years they've been a live member in it.

Thats pretty cool, i've been a member of xbox live since its first year but haven't been on my 360 for the last year and a half, going to update it when I get home!

AndyD

aka andydumi
badcrumble said:
I wonder if the Wipeout HD that's made available with it comes with the Fury expansion pack or not.

Unlikely. The point is to give you a free game but you buy DLC. Which is why I think other DLC heavy games will also be freebies, like HVB, Pain, the Pool game and so forth.

It's been a long time since I was a Qore member but did they ever fix where you had to go into your download archive just to download the latest monthly episode or is that still the case?

Because if they still have it that way then they are a bunch of idiots. What a shit way to distribute a good product.

AndyD said:
Unlikely. The point is to give you a free game but you buy DLC. Which is why I think other DLC heavy games will also be freebies, like HVB, Pain, the Pool game and so forth.

on the other hand when they offer free DLC for PSN+ members, you can apparently use that after your subscription time just like the free avatars, themes etc. which are also added each month.

btw the PSN+ price reductions are said to be "better" than the normal price reductions (maybe just more % off on the same game?)

I don't know if this was mentioned yet, but they will offer 2 time trials per month (which is possibly also the number of the full download PS3 games they will add each month) and non-members will be able to buy them as well, just w/o the time trial.

I would guess the free for PAL LBP version is actually the first of these titles. btw. the game will be the standard non-goty version and will be stripped from all but one language track (the language of the PS store country) to make it smaller.

games&DLC bought via PSN+ price reduction as well as the full download games bought after the PSN+ 1h trial are yours and don't depend on PSN+ membership.

the 4 different free games added each month and their normal "version" on the store are identical, so you can also share them (if it's not FF or Warhawk etc.) as long as the belonging account is PSN+ member.

they are also working on PSN+ exclusive Home items.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
SolidusDave said:
I would guess the free for PAL LBP version is actually the first of these titles. btw. the game will be the standard non-goty version and will be stripped from all but one language track (the language of the PS store country) to make it smaller.

I hope that's not the case. No way I'm gonna play this in Italian. No. Fucking. Way. I'd stick with the Blu-Ray version.

TTP said:
I hope that's not the case. No way I'm gonna play this in Italian. No. Fucking. Way. I'd stick with the Blu-Ray version.

I also don't intend to play them in German, maybe it will be different for each game or they will put English + local language track on it.
though you could use the 1h trial with your PSN+ (gaming) account and buy the game from a store with English language, but I'm not sure what happens to the trophies&savegame etc. gained in this hour.

btw in case of LBP, the savegame of the Blu-ray version is compatible with the download version... but I'm pretty sure only if it's from the same region.

sca2511

SolidusDave said:
on the other hand when they offer free DLC for PSN+ members, you can apparently use that after your subscription time just like the free avatars, themes etc. which are also added each month.

btw the PSN+ price reductions are said to be "better" than the normal price reductions (maybe just more % off on the same game?)

I don't know if this was mentioned yet, but they will offer 2 time trials per month (which is possibly also the number of the full download PS3 games they will add each month) and non-members will be able to buy them as well, just w/o the time trial.

games&DLC bought via PSN+ price reduction as well as the full download games bought after the PSN+ 1h trial are yours and don't depend on PSN+ membership.

the 4 different free games added each month and their normal "version" on the store are identical, so you can also share them (if it's not FF or Warhawk etc.) as long as the belonging account is PSN+ member.

they are also working on PSN+ exclusive Home items.

thanks for the explaination, it seems worth it if the discounts are big enough. So basically the free stuff we get from sony is like renting it, but the stuff that are discounted we get to own.

McLovin

LosDaddie said:

I think that most people cant argue that xbox live isn't worth 50. The thing that most people(including myself) have a problem with is that you have to pay to play online. This stuff is optional, live pretty much isn't. IMO silver should have online it could be limited with no voice chat for all I care but it should have something.

I3rand0 said:
I'd really just wish they would stop cock teasing everyone and come out and say "we can't implement this feature because of x". Where I am assuming x is equal to some type of hardware limitation on the PS3 or some type of network limitation on PSN.
exactly, just say you can't do it cos of a hardware limitation and done.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Sony should make this PlayStation Plus thing a premium content-focused service (offering free stuff, exclusive stuff, discounts and what not) and then have every OS functionality free for everyone. No one willing to pay for this is gonna cry if they make the auto download free for everyone, so why not?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
SolidusDave said:
I also don't intend to play them in German, maybe it will be different for each game or they will put English + local language track on it.
though you could use the 1h trial with your PSN+ (gaming) account and buy the game from a store with English language, but I'm not sure what happens to the trophies&savegame etc. gained in this hour.

btw in case of LBP, the savegame of the Blu-ray version is compatible with the download version... but I'm pretty sure only if it's from the same region.

Trophies earned during trial period get unlocked automatically upon purchase. Not that this matters with LBP since I got platinum already.

fixuis

Did we get confirmation that the free lbp for pal is actually the ps3 version and nor the psp ver? I was told it's the psp one, since the blog announcements link to the psp one and the announcement stated earlier that it was ps3 but that was taken out later.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!

onken

Sooo how is this full games trial thing going to work? Are they going to have retail games for download now?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
onken said:
Sooo how is this full games trial thing going to work? Are they going to have retail games for download now?

"selected" ones yes. I don't think every single one.

fixuis

TTP said:
Yes. 100% confirmed to be the PS3 version. It was stated on the official blog.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010...t-its-all-about/comment-page-1/#comment-79918

The blog also links to the ps3 version now. Amazing. I hate swapping discs. Would gladly pay for a disc changer, but this is even better. Was getting plus regardless but getting a free digital copy of one of my fav ps3 games makes it day 1 officially. Lbp will def get more time now from me.

This is brilliant. Retail bluray titles for digital download. You let me worry about disc space and bandwidth, Sony.

snap0212

Do we know if Playstation Plus is going to be a global thing like Xbox Live is (everything everywhere pretty much the same time) or will we still see those HUGE delays depending on where we life? I can already see how Europe is getting screwed again, to be honest.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
snap0212 said:
Do we know if Playstation Plus is going to be a global thing like Xbox Live is (everything everywhere pretty much the same time) or will we still see those HUGE delays depending on where we life? I can already see how Europe is getting screwed again, to be honest.

Looking at the different offerings for early subscribers (LBP for EU / 3 extra months for USA) I'd say nothing will change in that regard.

Majine

Banned
snap0212 said:
I don't expect it to be any different from what we've seen so far in terms of localizations. I hope they can go above and beyond now that people are paying tho.

Withnail

snap0212 said:

Each region will have slightly different content for sure, we're seeing that already.

I'm pretty surprised about the full game trials, I said on this board a while back that I was convinced 1-hour trials would be for PSN games only. I wonder whether they will be available for non-subscribers and how much the unlock codes will be. I would double dip on things like LBP and Infamous if I could have a copy on the HDD and the pricing is right.

snap0212 said:

Im quite sure we have to assume the position again with this one :D

But atleast its launching the same time here in Europe...

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
TTP said:
Trophies earned during trial period get unlocked automatically upon purchase. Not that this matters with LBP since I got platinum already.

If I subscribe for a year, earn trophies in the PSN games I get free every month then don't subscribe the following year, will I lose all those trophies?

If so will I get them back if I then go and buy them?

It is all very confusing :lol

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Withnail said:
I wonder whether they will be available for non-subscribers and how much the unlock codes will be.

No reason why they shouldn't.
The price will match the retail one looking at PSP digital offerings. Of course it also depends on the publisher.

Majine

Banned
Bojanglez said:
If I subscribe for a year, earn trophies in the PSN games I get free every month then don't subscribe the following year, will I lose all those trophies?
I can't imagine that. How cruel.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Bojanglez said:

Of course not. You don't get to play the games, but the trophies you earned will stick.

If you unsubscribe you only lose the license to play the game.

Trophies cannot be taken away.
However you can't just play the trial and unlock trophies; you must purchase the game to get those trophies to unlock (you can do the requirements for them to unlock, but in order for them to add to your account the game needs to be purchased).

Now then, does anyone know if anything has been said/leaked about the possibility of a feature where you can remote de-activate your account share slots on other consoles?

Kind of corrupt that you can only get it de-activated by manually logging into the other console and deactivating. What if it gets stolen or breaks?

Withnail

TTP said:
No reason why they shouldn't.
The price will match the retail one looking at PSP digital offerings. Of course it also depends on the publisher.

With them using the trial-and-unlock system I'm not so sure that they will be available to non-subscribers, but we will see soon enough.

fixuis

Withnail said:
Each region will have slightly different content for sure, we're seeing that already.

I'm pretty surprised about the full game trials, I said on this board a while back that I was convinced 1-hour trials would be for PSN games only. I wonder whether they will be available for non-subscribers and how much the unlock codes will be. I would double dip on things like LBP and Infamous if I could have a copy on the HDD and the pricing is right.

A really awesome feature for psn+ would be that if we already own a bluray version of a game, we would get the digital version for free. If Sony found a way to do that and make it so that this feature can't be exploited, that woud be awesome.

Edit: yeah we def need a remote deactivate function, it's high time, or atleast + subscribers should get the system limit raised.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
jetsetfluken said:
Trophies cannot be taken away.
However you can't just play the trial and unlock trophies; you must purchase the game to get those trophies to unlock (you can do the requirements for them to unlock, but in order for them to add to your account the game needs to be purchased).

Now then, does anyone know if anything has been said/leaked about the possibility of a feature where you can remote de-activate your account share slots on other consoles?

Kind of corrupt that you can only get it de-activated by manually logging into the other console and deactivating. What if it gets stolen or breaks?

Yeah. So stupid you can't do that remotely but rather have to call customer service.

I assume developers (which are already not very pleased by the game sharing stuff) wouldn't like it if Sony made it easier to de-activate systems.

On the other side, I can see Sony being worried about the risks of remote de-activation.

Imagine you give you account details to 4 people. Then one of them remotely deactivates your system and soon after gives your account details to another (5th) guy. The moment this guy activates his system, you'd be fucked for good.

Top Bottom