• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus Premium Service announced [S-CONF]

you know what would be awesome?

if they sold their first party games 1 - 2 weeks early just to the PSN+ members.. if that becomes a hit expand to third party publishers

I think I would pay for this. If they put a little + symbol beside your psn name, im sure people would want to show off to their friends.

AndyD said:
Good job on great questions.

Can you ask also how far in advance we know what the free games will be the following months? Because no one wants to buy a game then the next month it goes free in their subscription.

This!

Oh god I can imagine the PSone selection being atrocious.

Cold-Steel said:
This!

Oh god I can imagine the PSone selection being atrocious.

should have a voting system for the PSN+ members.. the majority of votes chooses the free game selected for next month

I don't know. The initial slate of freebies has no appeal to me at all and my gut reaction is that I don't need this. But you know they will start putting the most desirable demos and betas out for gold, I mean plus members first. I don't like feeling like a second class citizen, which is exactly what you'll be if you don't pony up and the folks that do start getting cool stuff before you do.

I'll probably fold eventually, once something big hits.

Nightz

mercenar1e said:
should have a voting system for the PSN+ members.. the majority of votes chooses the free game selected for next month
They have a voting system for what features users want, and we all know how that's working out.

noah111

Still Alive
Guardian Bob said:
I think I would pay for this. If they put a little + symbol beside your psn name, im sure people would want to show off to their friends.
No not in there name, just a little plus icon (logo) somewhere in the overlay highlight box. I'd pay $50 just for that (lol).

AndyD said:
Good job on great questions.

Can you ask also how far in advance we know what the free games will be the following months? Because no one wants to buy a game then the next month it goes free in their subscription.

well, you can also ask them ;) the guy gave 87 replies today but is now asleep obviously.
Someone else asked about it already though:

We are going to be adding the exact list of content for the first two months on ps.com in the next few days and we will show you the content a month in advance moving forward.

Metalmurphy said:
Dude, that is actually a pretty damn good business idea. You have no idea how some people are when it comes to that kind of stuff.
And members that sign up for multiple concurrent memberships can get special "prestige" icons next to their name!

Somebody would do it.

NullPointer said:
And members that sign up for multiple concurrent memberships can get special "prestige" icons next to their name!

Somebody would do it.

MS does this now with Live. You have a silver or gold tag if you click on someone's name and it also shows the number of years that they've had their account. I wouldn't mind it cause then it shows your buddies how old school you are.

And I can pretty much guarantee that other users will know if you are a Plus member or not. That's free advertising for them.

so did the cross game chat thing turn out to be false? it's not listed in the OP, and other articles i find on the list of PSN+ features say they are waiting to hear if there are any special chat features coming.

confused.

Cynar

mercenar1e said:
you know what would be awesome?

if they sold their first party games 1 - 2 weeks early just to the PSN+ members.. if that becomes a hit expand to third party publishers

How the hell is that awesome? :lol

Metalmurphy said:
Dude, that is actually a pretty damn good business idea. You have no idea how some people are when it comes to that kind of stuff.

That in itself is the problem, it will catch on and make everyone suffer.

Anyway, back to the subject this thing looks like a rip-off honestly. One of the "perks" is you get to borrow some PSN games as long as you keep paying them? People are ok with this practice?

noah111

Still Alive
Commanche Raisin Toast said:
so did the cross game chat thing turn out to be false? it's not listed in the OP, and other articles i find on the list of PSN+ features say they are waiting to hear if there are any special chat features coming.

confused.
False iirc, was denied multiple times by Sony... I think.

ilbambino said:
Is the Playstation Network already available for South America Countries? What about the plus service?

You can create an account stating that you live in a SA country, but you won't be able to access PS Store. That's a load of crap. Oh! And since you wont be able to access PS Store from a South American account you wont be able to pay for PSN+.

Microsoft is going to offer full Xbox live for some SA countries later this year (i thought this was already availabe in SA). I would love to be able to buy PSN games with my own credit card (i live in Colombia) and not buying ultra expensive PSN cards sold by resellers here. Sometimes they charge 50% more the value of the card.

Well this decision was just made pretty easy for me. LBP has an $18 trade in value at EB games (normal version and GOTY have the same trade in value in Canada apparently).

Trading in my copy of LBP and getting a free digital version. I'm sure a lot of people here already have the disc version of LBP and should do the same.

Brings the cost down to $32 for the 15 months basically which sounds like a decent deal. Will use that $18 credit for Mafia 2. :D

One question. Does the free costumes that I've downlaoded from the PSN store for my disc version of LBP that are no longer on the store; will those still work with the digital version?

carpediemdp said:
You can create an account stating that you live in a SA country, but you won't be able to access PS Store. That's a load of crap. Oh! And since you wont be able to access PS Store from a South American account you wont be able to pay for PSN+.

Microsoft is going to offer full Xbox live for some SA countries later this year (i thought this was already availabe in SA). I would love to be able to buy PSN games with my own credit card (i live in Colombia) and not buying ultra expensive PSN cards sold by resellers here. Sometimes they charge 50% more the value of the card.

Even if they do that, the content would be shitty because we live in SA

skrew

Banned
Apparently the only way people in this thread will be happy is if sony took away free online gaming and made it a $50 feature.

Are we sure that LBP is confirmed as a bonus outside of the UK, the only place that confirmed that was the UK PS Blog. So if you are in NA and hoping we get the same promotion I would not count your chickens until you see some confirmation.

AndyD

aka andydumi
criesofthepast said:
Well this decision was just made pretty easy for me. LBP has an $18 trade in value at EB games (normal version and GOTY have the same trade in value in Canada apparently).

Trading in my copy of LBP and getting a free digital version. I'm sure a lot of people here already have the disc version of LBP and should do the same.

Brings the cost down to $32 for the 15 months basically which sounds like a decent deal. Will use that $18 credit for Mafia 2. :D

One question. Does the free costumes that I've downlaoded from the PSN store for my disc version of LBP that are no longer on the store; will those still work with the digital version?

I asume so. They said save games will, so I dont see why DLC should not. Like Burnout and Warhawk, its all the same.

Terrordactyl said:
Are we sure that LBP is confirmed as a bonus outside of the UK, the only place that confirmed that was the UK PS Blog. So if you are in NA and hoping we get the same promotion I would not count your chickens until you see some confirmation.
Hmm, then I'll wait to trade in my LPB. I didn't see it posted on the us blog so maybe it IS UK only.

Massa

ilbambino said:
Is the Playstation Network already available for South America Countries? What about the plus service?

Depends on the country. In Brazil you can create an account to play online but no content (Store) or other services are provided. They're supposed to be launching that in Brazil and other LA countries this year.

Cruzader

Banned
SolidusDave said:
I asked some more specific questions about automatic downloading on the eu blog, I don't think it was covered yet in detail:

Q1: Will the patches also install themselves?
A1: yes, patches will also auto install themselves

Q2: How will this work for game demos, will it just automatically download every free demo not yet downloaded?
A2: the demos will be selected new demos so you won’t just be bombarded.

Q3: What about games I bought from a different PSN account/region, will those update, too?
A3: I’m not 100% but it looks at the last 10 games you played, then the 10 before that, etc, and so I don’t see why it wouldn’t.

Bonus Q4: Do you need a subscription for each PSN account on your PS3 if e.g. your brother wants to have PSN+ as well?
A4: It’s the master account that needs to subscribe to Plus but the other accounts on the PS3 will also be able to play the downloaded games [I assume he means the free PSN+ games, so you can share them as well it seems]
Good job man. I just hope Sony takes care of the folks to misuse gamesharing. In this case, folks could share the main account with PSN+ and get the benefits while not paying. I hope gamesharing accounts gets locked due to multiple IPs registering on a single PSN account or something.

Also just to remind you guys, PSN+ will include 12 months of Qore. Thats $25 by itself thrown into PSN+. So you are only paying $25 for the free games/discounts etc.

Meier

The thing that stuck with me during Jack's speech was the way he phrased the benefits of subscribing in terms of items you get. To me, it sounded like he hammered it in that the shit you get for free is only free/yours while you're a member. It seemed like everything would revert back once you lapsed. This has probably been addressed ad nauseam.

Massa said:
Depends on the country. In Brazil you can create an account to play online but no content (Store) or other services are provided. They're supposed to be launching that in Brazil and other LA countries this year.

They said that last year as well. :(

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
NightHawk17 said:
Are you serious? How does gamesharing affect you negatively in anyway?
It makes him feel badly that he has no friends that will share stuff with him.

Has anything been said (or leaked) about the possible feature of remote account deactivations?
ie. Using your logged in master account to deactivate share slots on other consoles.

The only way currently to do so is to have the other person manually sign in with your own password and manually going to "Deactivate" through the account management.
Not that this was Sony's intention with the console activations feature, but it is a problem now.

darkwing said:
any ideas how to pay for it? i've got like $70 in my PSN account

You'll pay with your normal PSN account funds, either via PSN card or cc.
You'll have the option to auto-renew (after a year, not sure about the 3 months periods) the subscription, though w/o a cc you would have to make sure you have enough funds on your account before they bill you.

edit: beaten

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
skrew said:
Apparently the only way people in this thread will be happy is if sony took away free online gaming and made it a $50 feature.

You're mistaking "the only way people will be happy" and "the only way people will be willing to pay $50".

Imagine a restaurant where the steak is free but the fudge brownie dessert is $50. Everyone will think the steak is a great deal, but few people are going to buy the fudge brownie dessert.

Now imagine a very similar restaurant where a steak and a fudge brownie dessert are $50. More people are going to be willing to pay $50, but it doesn't necessarily mean they're happier with the restaurant.

criesofthepast said:

Yes. :D

jorma

is now taking requests
Guardian Bob said:

that would actually make me less likely to subscribe to this...

Would feel like walking around with a big L on my forehead :p

Top Bottom