• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus Premium Service announced [S-CONF]

AndyD

aka andydumi
badcrumble said:
My guess: cross-game chat yanked from PSN+ at the last minute, firmware delayed to reflect this change. Probably next week then.

If they release the firmware next week with free cross chat to all and a nice plan for PSN+ releases for the next 2-3 months (2 good free games and an exclusive beta for a mega title like LBP2 or KZ3), they may get a lot of subscribers just from the euphoria of the goodwill of the free chat.

You know what I think will also drive PSN+ adoption very very quickly? The rumored software PS2 emulator or downloadable PS2 games only for PSN+. The money raised would certainly pay off the development in spades. And it does not even need to be a complete 100% emulator, even if it does 50-70% percent of the thousands of games people would be satisfied I think.

AndyD said:
If they release the firmware next week with free cross chat to all and a nice plan for PSN+ releases for the next 2-3 months (2 good free games and an exclusive beta for a mega title like LBP2 or KZ3), they may get a lot of subscribers just from the euphoria of the goodwill of the free chat.
Possibly, yeah. I hope they use PSN+ to push titles with online communities that have gotten a bit smaller, like Fat Princess or Crash Commando or Motorstorm 2. Wipeout HD is a good start, even if I already own it.

Clearly, the only reasonable explanation of why the firmware and the CGC PRs were pulled last minute is the fact that Sony decided to implement CGC into free PSN.

GET HYPED!

If Sony released some form of software-based PS2 emulation but only for PSN+ subscribers I think GAF would probably explode with rage :lol

The only possible better thing would be if they pulled it from consoles that could already emulate so people would be forced to subscribe to regain access to their emulation.

AndyD

aka andydumi
angelfly said:
EU gets Little Big Planet

No. LBP is the EU free bonus for signing up in the first month for a year's subscription. It is also a game you keep even if you stop your subscription in the future. The US does not get LBP but an extra three months of subscription for free (15 mos for the price of 12). That what we know so far.

I dont think they have announced the actual PSN+ freebie for July yet for EU. Or August. They said they will always keep us 2 months up to date, so they should release an FAQ when it opens up next week. The US will get Wipeout HD as the freebie for July.

So:

US - early adopter signup bonus - 3 free months with purchase of 12. July game is WIpeout HD.

EU - early adopter bonus is LBP psn to keep forever. July game we do not know.

Oni Jazar

badcrumble said:
If Sony released some form of software-based PS2 emulation but only for PSN+ subscribers I think GAF would probably explode with rage :lol

The only possible better thing would be if they pulled it from consoles that could already emulate so people would be forced to subscribe to regain access to their emulation.

It would be better then Cross game chat which would split up the userbase.

BobTheFork said:
I was leaning towards signing up for the three month at least just to see how the service is, but everything I'm hearing makes me think this is a service aimed at people who don't use their PS3 that often. Automatic updates of the last ten games? Why would I need them to do that, I PLAY the last ten games all within a days or two, I will get the updates timely enough. PSN and PS1 rentals? I own all the PSN stores games that are any good, and I'd have to wait a long time until enough new games cycle in and those are free. Maybe the discount is worth it, but I don't know enough about what discount and on what products. I don't care about free avatars and themes, I already have the best avatar and theme on the system and those will never be beaten lol. Qore? eh, It's a cool show but it doesn't tell me anything I can't learn just reading the same internet site I do anyways.
I'm too Elite for the elite service : (

This is my exact problem with the service. Only problem is you know they will have us by the short ones when betas / demos become exclusive.

AwRy108

badcrumble said:
My guess: cross-game chat yanked from PSN+ at the last minute, firmware delayed to reflect this change. Probably next week then.

You're unusually hopeful for a PS3 owner. Not long after the PS3 launch--when we couldn't even check text messages while in game--I stopped expecting things from SONY, so, at this point, I'm just glad we got Trophies. LOL.

AwRy108 said:
You're unusually hopeful for a PS3 owner. I stopped expecting things from SONY, so, at this point, I'm just glad we got Trophies. LOL.
I didn't say I thought cross-game chat would be coming to everyone, just that I thought it got yanked from PSN+ (for now). Maybe it'll come to everyone in the future, but it seems pretty likely from everything that's been said that Sony decided not to do that at the very last minute, either because of technical issues (doubtful, it's been in the debug firmware for like a year now) or because of an expected backlash (maybe). This could signal intentions to put it into PSN+ at a later date, or to give it to everyone at a later date. We'll see.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Oni Jazar said:
This is my exact problem with the service. Only problem is you know they will have us by the short ones when betas / demos become exclusive.

I thought the updating worked in groups of 10 from their description. It looks at the most recent 10 and updates those in one go ( I assume its so it does not stay on forever to update 50 games or more). If those recent 10 are already up to date, it looks at 11-20 and updates those. And so forth.

So if your most recent 10 that you play regularly/every day are up to date (which they would be since you played them within the past 48 hours), then it does the next 10 older. Then the next 10 two days later and so forth. Eventually working its way through your entire collection. Just not all in one go. So essentially it will keep your currently played games up to date first, then work its way back.

The smart way to do it is to probably que only 10 games worth of updates regardless of their "oldness". So if those updates are for games 1, 3, 14, 27-36, then those get updated. That way its not a strict top 10 recent (say updating only 1 out of 10), but only 10 games max most recent first, to keep downloads relatively quick. So depending on which games you have and if they are up to date, it may not have anything to download if no patches were released in the past 48 hours.

Loudninja

PlayStation Plus Explained
Automatic Download: Members will be able to set their PS3 to wake up from standby at any time of the day or night, download and install any game updates for the games you have been playing and we will also send you new game demos that will be ready and waiting for you to play when you next use your PS3. System software updates will also download automatically (manual install still required) and then the PS3 will turn itself off again.

Game updates and demos will also automatically install and the next time you turn on your PS3 you will see a brief on screen message letting you know what has been downloaded and updated.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010/06/23/playstation-plus-explained/

I think they did a good job really.

tirminyl

MrPliskin said:
Man, I would love to have LBP available on the PS Store. I'd double dip to have that on my HDD.

You and me both.

It also states that the trial games for Plus members will be available to purchase by others and that only Plus members get the try before buy. So...full game downloads now. I wonder if they will do some digital pre-order stuff or hell pre-purchase to download the game on the system ahead of time and then release an activate key on release date.

Withnail

This is the content for EU, just posted on the blog comments;

Hi, this will also be on playstationplus.com very soon –

Month 1: June 29th – August 3rd
Intro offer: LBP (standard edition)
PSN PS3: Wipeout HD
minis: Field Runners, Age of Zombies
PSone: Destruction Derby
Full Game Trial: Shatter, Savage Moon
Discounts: LBP God of War Pack – 50%, LBP: LocoRoco costume pack – 50%, Gravity Crash – 20%, Fat Princess DLC – 20%
Premium Game Element: KillZone 2: Steel & Titanium DLC
Push demo: ModNation Racers, Heavy Rain
Dynamic Themes: LBP Theme, SCEE produced: PlayStation “Game Is Just The Start” Dynamic Theme
2 x Fat Princess Premium Avatars

Month 2: August 4th – September 1st
PSN PS3: Zen Pinball
minis: Blast-Off, Alien Zombie Death
PSone: Medievil
Full Game Trial: inFamous, Mushroom Wars
Discounts: Zen Pinball Earth Defence Table – 20%, Warhawk Triple Combo Pack – 50%, Super Stardust HD – 20%, WipeOutHD Fury – 20%
Premium Game Elements: Motorstorm Pacific Rift: Adrenaline Pack
Push Demo: Flower, Pixel Junk Shooter
Themes: “SCEE produced: PlayStation Plus Dynamic Theme, Heavy Rain Crime Scene Theme
2 x Heavy Rain Avatars (Bird and Butterfly)

It's pretty bad :lol

yencid

Withnail said:

thats pretty bad, seriously?

anyways from whats being offered here is what i want

Month 1: June 29th – August 3rd
minis: Field Runners, Age of Zombies
PSone: Destruction Derby
Full Game Trial:Savage Moon
Premium Game Element: KillZone 2: Steel & Titanium DLC
Push demo: ModNation Racers, Heavy Rain (push demos?)
Dynamic Themes: LBP Theme, SCEE produced: PlayStation “Game Is Just The Start” Dynamic Theme
2 x Fat Princess Premium Avatars

Month 2: August 4th – September 1st
PSN PS3: Zen Pinball
minis: Blast-Off, Alien Zombie Death
PSone: Medievil
Full Game Trial: inFamous, Mushroom Wars
Premium Game Elements: Motorstorm Pacific Rift: Adrenaline Pack
Push Demo: Flower, Pixel Junk Shooter
Themes: “SCEE produced: PlayStation Plus Dynamic Theme, Heavy Rain Crime Scene Theme
2 x Heavy Rain Avatars (Bird and Butterfly)

i think its a great offer... at least for me.

KingDizzi

Banned
Withnail said:

:lol I was literally on Amazon paying up for two £20 PSN cards but not going to bother, will save that money for GT5.

yencid

Loudninja said:
This is bad? sure if you have this stuff than yeah.

I woudl like to know this as well

huh?
full game trial is the 1 hour demo i believe.... but what about Push demo then? :eek:

androvsky

Surely push demos are the demos that are automatically downloaded and installed for you along with game updates.

That's a decent lineup of games, I'm not entirely understanding the hate unless it's a given that everyone posting here should already own a large percentage of those. :)

yencid

Loudninja said:
Yeah but inFamous is a PS3 game, so they going to put it on the store?
oh.. yeah i believe they are, like a Games on demand service, we happen to try the first hour, earn trophies and keep the save files for the demo, if we buy the game the trophies get uploaded to the server and you can just load. :)

It seems that one of PSN+'s key functions is to act like a Trojan horse for SCE WWS content. Expected, but if this things actually succeeds it will certainly act like a huge awareness push for Sony games.

Mad_Ban

Cross-game chat is not currently included in PlayStation Plus.
Well they really can't release it for free, and then put it into PS+, because of the outroar from users. So I'd say this is pointing towards a positive, since it indicates it isn't in PSN+ and will be released for free.

ninja edit: yeah I'm tired so I'm not making much sense. :lol

uhm I don't get it, why would someone say this offer is bad NOW?
It's exactly what they announced (4 games etc.) plus these push demos, apparently monthly premium DLC (is this free and only available during membership, too?), the number of dynamic themes&avatars to expect and that apparently PSN+ discounts are something monthly and not only on special occasions.

yencid

Mad_Ban said:
Well they really can't release it for free, and then put it into PS+, because of the outroar from users. So I'd say this is pointing towards a positive, since it indicates it isn't in PSN+ and will be released for free.

ninja edit: yeah I'm tired so I'm not making much sense. :lol
they could always release cross game chat for everyone and give PSN+ users special functions that others cant use?

Aru

netguy503 said:
Push demos are the first hour of the game.

No, those are Full Game Trials.
Push demos are the one that are sent directly to your PS3 via Automatic Download, IMO.

Loudninja

yencid said:
oh.. yeah i believe they are, like a Games on demand service, we happen to try the first hour, earn trophies and keep the save files for the demo, if we buy the game the trophies get uploaded to the server and you can just load. :)
Yeah I didnt know they would have PS3 game trails :0

netguy503

When do we get a NA list? The launch is pretty close. It would be nice. And do we all get in free for the first 3 months but lose all our stuff if we don't subscribe after that period or how does that work?

Sophia

Lineup looks pretty decent. I already own PixelJunk Shooter, and I've already played Infamous through rentals, but the rest of the stuff looks pretty good... I may have to see about picking up a three month subscription.

Ah, but this is the EU list... wonder what the American list will have on it?

DMeisterJ said:
fuck you grace chen
;)

This is a terrible service if they are just going to be selecting what content we can buy/try. I'm fine with the full game trial but when it comes down to discounts they pick, PSN, ps1 and mini games they choose for use to have during our subscription period is silly.

It just sounds to me they just want you to waste your money so they can continue testing consumers and see how they respond. i personally think we should just not give in to this! But yeah, it won't help much complaining online anyways.

Oh and spending many hours downloading full ps3 games only to play 1 hour is silly :lol.

androvsky

SolidusDave said:
uhm I don't get it, why would someone say this offer is bad NOW?
It's exactly what they announced (4 games etc.) plus these push demos, apparently monthly premium DLC (is this free and only available during membership, too?), the number of dynamic themes&avatars to expect and that apparently PSN+ discounts are something monthly and not only on special occasions.

I don't know, many of the reactions either way to PSN+ have been pretty weird so far. Maybe they don't like the second month's content?

yencid

Ok sony needs to let us know what the hell push demos are....

why the fuck would it be called a demo if its just the automatic download?

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
Judging by the continued confusion as to what PSN+ actually is, it would've been smart on Sony's part to actually launch PSN+ with something concrete... not just demos, an old PSN game and whatnot.

Mad_Ban

yencid said:
they could always release cross game chat for everyone and give PSN+ users special functions that others cant use?
That's also true, but having basic CGC is good enough for me. I wouldn't care about special features that the PSN+ users would get.

Diebuster

I like that they're offering a lot of stuff, but the stuff I want I already own. I guess this would get me to try games I would never normally play though.

The US gets Qore with this too right?

Top Bottom