• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus Premium Service announced [S-CONF]

yencid

some things from the blog

• Hi Seany1, there will be a Plus icon next to your PSN ID on the friends list
  • Hi, games that are available for the full game trial will also be available to purchase from the Store

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
They should have a 50% off option each month for any one PSN game under $20. I would get that, plus it would get me to buy more PSN games.

androvsky

yencid said:
Ok sony needs to let us know what the hell push demos are....

why the fuck would it be called a demo if its just the automatic download?

As murky as this whole announcement's been, I think the push demos at least are pretty obvious. It's called a demo because that's exactly what it is, like what we've been downloading for years, but it's automatically downloaded for you. Hence the "push".

yencid

androvsky said:
As murky as this whole announcement's been, I think the push demos at least are pretty obvious. It's called a demo because that's exactly what it is, like what we've been downloading for years, but it's automatically downloaded for you. Hence the "push".
but they said the automatic download also goes for full games.

netguy503

DMPrince said:
;)

Oh and spending many hours downloading full ps3 games only to play 1 hour is silly :lol.

As I've said before, I REALLY doubt we are going to be downloading the whole game. I have a feeling we will only be allowed to download Darksiders (which was a hour)- sized demos of retail games. Yea, I was talking to a friend yesterday about this- how is SONY going to gauge how much we can get done in a game in a hour (especially trophy hunters?) but I bet that is what it will be- a large file size demo that takes "roughly" an hour for the casual gamer to play.

netguy503 said:
As I've said before, I REALLY doubt we are going to be downloading the whole game. I have a feeling we will only be allowed to download Darksiders (which was a hour)- sized demos of retail games. Yea, I was talking to a friend yesterday about this- how is SONY going to gauge how much we can get done in a game in a hour (especially trophy hunters?) but I bet that is what it will be- a large file size demo that takes "roughly" an hour for the casual gamer to play.
well from the previous post the games will be made to purchase on the store. so it's possible that it's the full game. i mean they are selecting the game for us. and how big is infamous 1 anyways. like 7GB? i assume these games will stay under 10GB.

Withnail

yencid said:
thats pretty bad, seriously?

loudninja said:
This is bad? sure if you have this stuff than yeah,

Well I guess it's not too bad if you don't have most of that stuff, say you only just got the PS3 or something. Personally I don't care for avatars and themes and I already have LBP and Wipeout (as most PS3 owners should), and several of those minis. The PS1 games are nothing special. Push downloads of demos that I'm sure 90% of PS3 owners have already played? No thanks. And the discounts are pretty funny, for instance I'm sure Gravity Crash was on sale for around 50% of its usual cost not too long ago.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
So wait, inFamous will be available as a DL game as well? Nice. Hopefully they will start putting more retail releases on the Store.

Anyway, about the content. It's amazing value for new comers, not for people like me who already purchased all that stuff listed there.

Withnail

netguy503 said:

You definitely download the full game in the trial (with DRM giving exactly 1 hour of play) and the purchase will just be a 100kB unlock. However they said for LBP at least they have stripped out some of the localised audio to make the file smaller. So the version on the UK store will only have English language, German store only German etc. I'll see if I can find the quote.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
AranhaHunter said:
Am I reading this wrong or is LBP and inFamous coming to PS3 as DD?

Yep! They are! I hope they are available to non Plus members as well (Plus members get the 1hr trial thing).

Hopefully English is in all of them (alongside local language).

Sophia

TTP said:
Yep! They are! I hope they are available to non Plus members as well (Plus members get the 1hr trial thing)

They will be available to regular members to buy. That was already confirmed.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Marrshu said:
They will be available to regular members to buy. That was already confirmed.

ah ok. But we don't know the price do we? I might sell my disc copy of InFamous and buy the digital one if there is english in there.

see5harp

AranhaHunter said:
Am I reading this wrong or is LBP and inFamous coming to PS3 as DD?

It makes sense in light of the whole "hour demo" PSN+ thing. It's just games on demand like on 360 with a built in timer to shut off access.

netguy503

Withnail said:
Well I guess it's not too bad if you don't have most of that stuff, say you only just got the PS3 or something. Personally I don't care for avatars and themes and I already have LBP and Wipeout (as most PS3 owners should), and several of those minis. The PS1 games are nothing special. Push downloads of demos that I'm sure 90% of PS3 owners have already played? No thanks. And the discounts are pretty funny, for instance I'm sure Gravity Crash was on sale for around 50% of its usual cost not too long ago.

And again your only looking at the first two months of a new service. How can you possibly judge from that and/or who said it won't expand and grow especially when the money/support comes in from the community? I'm sure the money they get will allow them to pay off developers and we'll get even better deals but in order to do that they need support from us like XBL. %20-%50 percent off items are not bad for the average non-GAF gamer and, from what I understand, what you buy on this service you keep and it's only the free things that go away.

Also I'm still wondering will everyone get to use this as part of the "free 3 month trial" starting Tuesday regardless if you've subscribed or what?

Selecting the content for the users is bascially necessary. If they just let you choose 4 games for free as well as the discounts each month, the service would probably not be profitable for them as no one needs to buy games (at full price) and other PSN stuff anymore.
They want you to offer content worth $200, not giving you $200 for your $50, would be kinda stupid, eh? ;)

I won't bite though as I already own or have played the games (including the trial ones), including most of the DLC/PSN stuff they offer.
I tend not to play my PSone games and I don't care at all about Minis.
Automatic downloading alone is not worth it for me, my games are currently all up to date anyway (damn you ODC). Guess they have to make CGC a PSN+ feature :p
Maybe I'll get the 3 month offer when there is a nice month content-wise for me. Plus betas etc.

btw I don't really like the €=$ conversion:

. list of games is in my comment above and local prices for plus are here –
1-YEAR 90DAYS
Australia AUD 69.95 20.95
Austria € 49.99 14.99
Belgium € 49.99 14.99
Czech Republic CZK
Denmark DKK
Finland EURO 49.95 14.95
France € 49.99 14.99
Germany € 49.99 14.99
Greece € 49.99 14.99
Ireland € 49.99 14.99
Italy € 49.99 14.99
Luxembourg € 49.99 14.99
Netherlands € 49.99 14.99
New Zealand NZD 89.95 26.95
Norway NOK 395 119
Poland PLN 195 59
Portugal € 49.99 14.99
Saudi Arabia USD 64.99 19.99
South Africa ZAR 489 145
Spain € 49.99 14.99
Sweden SEK 480 145
Switzerland CHF 69.95 20.95
United Arab EmiratesUSD 64.99 19.99
United Kingdom GBP 39.99 11.99

50€ is quite much. I know they are mimicking the Live Gold prices, but on the 360 you can buy Gold tickets for cheap, but there will never be PSN cards as cheap because they are the actual funds you buy games with etc.

see5harp

netguy503 said:
And again your only looking at the first two months of a new service. How can you possibly judge from that and/or who said it won't expand and grow especially when the money/support comes in from the community? I'm sure the money they get will allow them to pay off developers and we'll get even better deals but in order to do that they need support from us like XBL. %20-%50 percent off items are not bad for the average non-GAF gamer and, from what I understand, what you buy on this service you keep and it's only the free things that go away.

Also I'm still wondering will everyone get to use this as part of the "free 3 month trial" starting Tuesday regardless if you've subscribed or what?

I don't think it's the content, but more the whole way this thing seems thrown together. A poster had previously referred to it as a student discount card and it really seems that way now.

Withnail

netguy503 said:

Fair enough, like I said it's not a bad deal if you don't already have that stuff and I'm not saying I will never subscribe, but after seeing that list I definitely won't be doing so in the first two months. :D

Regarding the "free 3 month trial" thing, I think what they actually meant was 15 months for the price of 12, but could be wrong about that.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
netguy503 said:
Wow...you must have a big harddrive.

I have 140GB left from my 250GB drive.

I don't care if I can't have all the stuff at anyone time on the HDD anyway. If I need to make room I delete old shit and eventually re-download when needed.

Mrbob

Is the US playstation blog going to update anytime soon?

I don't have a ton of PSN content ( I think I have 9 or 10 PSN games), so I'm actually interested in all the freebies. Too bad I bought Wipeout HD a couple months ago though. :lol Although a discount on the Fury pack will definitely be nice.

Not to be a downer on the discounts, but I hope most of them are more than 20%. That seems a bit weak when you are paying a yearly fee for a service. 50% is fine. Hopefully Sony doesn't shift all their regular weekly discounts onto Playstation Plus.

yencid

Withnail said:
Fair enough, like I said it's not a bad deal if you don't already have that stuff and I'm not saying I will never subscribe, but after seeing that list I definitely won't be doing so in the first two months. :D

Regarding the "free 3 month trial" thing, I think what they actually meant was 15 months for the price of 12, but could be wrong about that.
nah you are correct 15 for the price of 12

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Dabanton said:
So these hour demos will that be for all games or just Sony developed ones?

Full Game Trial: Shatter, Savage Moon

Full Game Trial: inFamous, Mushroom Wars

Sony ones bolded.

What sucks about this is that these games wont have the trial forever but just for a month. So, say you get a PS3 3 months for now, and subscribe to PSN+, you wont be able to check these games out. AFAIK

Dragnet

Haven't seen anyone talk about this, but I'm psyched, always thought LBP should be a downloadable game!

"If you sign up between the 29th June and 3rd Aug for the 1 year subscription then you will also receive a downloadable copy of the original LittleBigPlanet game for PS3, completely free! This is yours to keep and is not tied to the period of subscription."

Sick.

yencid

TTP said:
Full Game Trial: Shatter, Savage Moon

Full Game Trial: inFamous, Mushroom Wars

Sony ones bolded.
arent shatter and mushroom wars PSN exclusives? i know shatter is going to the PC but i mean as of right now.

kazuma_pt said:
infamous wasn't developed by sony, so perhaps we're getting sony developed and published titles on DD.

but its a ps3 exclusive.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
yencid said:
arent shatter and mushroom wars PSN exclusives? i know shatter is going to the PC but i mean as of right now.

They are, but not cos they are developed nor published by Sony. Because they aren't.

yencid

Oni Jazar said:
I didn't expect Sony to have a Games on Demand feature like the 360.
well they already have some games you CAN buy that are on disc. Warhawk, GTprologue, siren red curse (or whatever), burnout aaaannnddd that RPG thats like 9 gigs record of agarest or something?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Oni Jazar said:
I didn't expect Sony to have a Games on Demand feature like the 360.

That's the cool stuff regular members get thanks to the money Plus members give to Sony.

Oni Jazar

TTP said:
That's the cool stuff regular members get thanks to the money Plus members give to Sony.

Ahhh that explains it. :)

And yes I knew about those other "full" PSN games but it's good to have more options.

Mrbob

Dragnet said:
Haven't seen anyone talk about this, but I'm psyched, always thought LBP should be a downloadable game!

"If you sign up between the 29th June and 3rd Aug for the 1 year subscription then you will also receive a downloadable copy of the original LittleBigPlanet game for PS3, completely free! This is yours to keep and is not tied to the period of subscription."

Sick.

Yeah that is pretty hot for Europe. If Sony is going to be putting their games onto PSN soon for purchase, they should think about offering a choice of greatest hits titles (separate to keep from PSN plus)as a bonus for yearly resubs. Greatest Hits games have made their money back, and it would be good PR. It would definitely increase subs and retentions.

Goldrusher

yencid said:
well they already have some games you CAN buy that are on disc. Warhawk, GTprologue, siren red curse (or whatever), burnout aaaannnddd that RPG thats like 9 gigs record of agarest or something?
And in a way, WipEout and PAIN.

yencid

Oni Jazar said:
Ahhh that explains it. :)

And yes I knew about those other "full" PSN games but it's good to have more options.
in general the extra money that sony gets from PSN+ will help everyone, just keeping servers alive without getting any money in return must have cost them a hella lot so this will help them.

AndyD said:
If they release the firmware next week with free cross chat to all and a nice plan for PSN+ releases for the next 2-3 months (2 good free games and an exclusive beta for a mega title like LBP2 or KZ3), they may get a lot of subscribers just from the euphoria of the goodwill of the free chat.

You know what I think will also drive PSN+ adoption very very quickly? The rumored software PS2 emulator or downloadable PS2 games only for PSN+. The money raised would certainly pay off the development in spades. And it does not even need to be a complete 100% emulator, even if it does 50-70% percent of the thousands of games people would be satisfied I think.

I think the chances of having a PSTwo classics section on PSN only available to PSN+ subscribers is very low.

netguy503

TTP said:
I have 140GB left from my 250GB drive.

I don't care if I can't have all the stuff at anyone time on the HDD anyway. If I need to make room I delete old shit and eventually re-download when needed.

Didn't you respond to me in another thread (or this one) that turning on and off your machine wasn't dangerous to your system it was the downloading that must effects it. If it is a full game, as a YLOD survivor, downloading a 7GB game doesn't sound fun for me. Not only would it take alot of time but having my machine on for that amount of time would make me extremely nervous. I bet alot of people would feel the same way. I don't know if SONY wants to go that route. I guess we will see on Tuesday. And you have no problem deleting those big files only to re-download them if you want them again? I dunno, doesn't sound like my cup of tea IMHO.

I just hope this "automatic downloading" applies to old games as well. I may FINALLY be able to re-update my Burnout Paradise after my YLOD and get my Platnium (I've been like two trophies away from it for almost a year now as my game keeps refuse to sit through the update).:D

Mrbob

I also think it would be a cool practice if monthly plus freebies come with the option to buy it at a discounted price. It could increase PSN sales.

Imagine if Age of Zombies (a freebie on plus first month) is offered to plus members at 50 percent off for the month. That would convince me to keep the mini outside of the plus account, and get the developer more money in their pocket in the process.

That lineup looks awful, I already have all of those titles :/, but to have LBP on my HDD is very tempting.

I think I'd hold on buying some psn games (ToMI, S&M, Creat stuff) and wait for them on PSN+, then I'll bite.

Indeed

Question (sorry if this has been answered):

I live in germany and have a german ps3 but my main psn account is set to the US. I buy all my psn stuff from the US psn store so do i have to buy psn+ on my german psn account, (which has 0 friends / trophies etc) or can I buy psn+ on the US store like everything else?

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
By the way eventhough Mushroom Wars has a stupid name, it's surprisingly fun. The gameplay is very similar to Galcon (iphone, PC) and/or Footie Wars (WC3 mod). Probably my most played PSN game.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
netguy503 said:
Didn't you respond to me in another thread (or this one) that turning on and off your machine wasn't dangerous to your system it was the downloading that must effects it. If it is a full game, as a YLOD survivor, downloading a 7GB game doesn't sound fun for me. Not only would it take alot of time but having my machine on for that amount of time would make me extremely nervous. I bet alot of people would feel the same way. I don't know if SONY wants to go that route. I guess we will see on Tuesday. And you have no problem deleting those big files only to re-download them if you want them again? I dunno, doesn't sound like my cup of tea IMHO.

I don't understand your reasoning.

1 - It depends on the connection speed you've got. I can download 7GB easily overnight (setting the PS3 to turn off automatically when done)
2 - I've played games for sessions longer than the amount of time needed to download 7GB of content. And THAT is MUCH more "dangerous" to the system than downloading stuff.
3 - You can pause downloads if you want to play something or turn the system off altogether if you are too nervous about keeping it on. Or have the DL going in the background if game allows it. You know the PS3 can resume downloads right?
4 - Yes, I have no problem re-downloading games I want to play again. It's not like I would ever want to re-play a game "OMG RIGHT NOW!!1". Say I've got the digital version of Uncharted 2, a game which I'm not currently playing. Then Naughty Dog announces some kind of cool DLC coming up. At that point, I can easily start the download and leave it there growing in the download list for as many days as I want until the DLC actually comes out.

I don't understand why you are so scared about downloading stuff. As I said, downloading stuff doesn't heat up the system nearly as much as playing games on it.

Besides, having games running from HDD >>>>>> having them running from the disc (less stressed BD drive)

Top Bottom