• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinect priced at $150 in Microsoft's official online store

JWong

Banned
Kinitari said:
I don't know if it matters to anyone here, but in my system at work (Best Buy - Canada), the price is tentatively set at "99.99" - take that as you will, as that sort of price is definitely no indication of a final price point.
A Canadian discount, no doubt.

linkboy

People actually think MS is floating the $150 price point as a test. :lol.
MS, the same people who priced these

512MB Memory Card: $29.99
16GB USB Memory Stick: $59.99 ($24 on Amazon for a Sandisk Jumpdrive)
250GB HDD: $129 ($45 on Amazon for a WD 2.5" laptop hardrive)

Damn near everything MS has released as an accessory for the 360 has been overpriced. Kinect is going to be no different.

$150 is the retail price of Kinect and its not going to change.

Also, here's the reasoning why I think MS didn't announced a price at E3. They announce a $150 price at E3 and the media (the actual media, not the gamers who pass themselves off as media) would let the market MS is going for now about how overpriced it is. That kills any hype. A stealth release lessens that impact somewhat.

slider

Darklord said:
Technically to play all Move games it costs $180. But they broke it up so it seems way cheaper. MS is just one $150 chunk which seems way worse.

It's kind of like the Arcade vs. regular PS3. Price of entry is, IMO, what always draws people in.

DeadGzuz

Banned
Darklord said:
Technically to play all Move games it costs $180. But they broke it up so it seems way cheaper. MS is just one $150 chunk which seems way worse.

Technically it is $50-$120, depending if you have an Eye or want the nav controller.

soldat7

DeadGzuz said:
Technically it is $50-$120, depending if you have an Eye or want the nav controller.

I'm sure some games will need the nav controller, just like some Wii games need the nunchuck.

Mandoric

Banned
TunaLover said:
Wi-Fi out the box confirmed?

If it has a radio built in it, that would help explain both some of the cost and some of the size. Not very much of either, though.

Edit: It would also point to a forced packin, since the slim has built-in wifi and that's $20 that could go in MS's pocket if it's duplicated. Packin a radioless version (helping pay for the bundle discount) and ship one with separately. If they're not easily visually distinguished it'll be fun buying a used one, though.

beast786

linkboy said:
People actually think MS is floating the $150 price point as a test. :lol.
MS, the same people who priced these

512MB Memory Card: $29.99
16GB USB Memory Stick: $59.99 ($24 on Amazon for a Sandisk Jumpdrive)
250GB HDD: $129 ($45 on Amazon for a WD 2.5" laptop hardrive)

Damn near everything MS has released as an accessory for the 360 has been overpriced. Kinect is going to be no different.

$150 is the retail price of Kinect and its not going to change.

Also, here's the reasoning why I think MS didn't announced a price at E3. They announce a $150 price at E3 and the media (the actual media, not the gamers who pass themselves off as media) would let the market MS is going for now about how overpriced it is. That kills any hype. A stealth release lessens that impact somewhat.

The big difference is those price is for people who had no other choice. This time they are trying to suck new people .

Hence the reason, not to have those inflated price. Microsoft who went for Sony is heading for Nintendo. And they know to do that 150 aint going to cut it.

Like I have said this million times, accroding to MS the battle is not for Kinect VS Move, its for Wii VS Kinect. And thats what is going to dictate the price.

According to MS the battle with Sony is over for this generation. Next in line is the Number 1 top Dog. Which is Nintendo.

beast786 said:
The big difference is those price is for people who had no other choice. This time they are trying to suck new people .

Hence the reason, not to have those inflated price. Microsoft who went for Sony is heading for Nintendo. And they know to do that 150 aint going to cut it.

Like I have said this million times, accroding to MS the battle is not for Kinect VS Move, its for Wii VS Kinect. And thats what is going to dictate the price.

According to MS the battle with Sony is over for this generation. Next in line is the Number 1 top Dog. Which is Nintendo.

If they can't even beat sony how can they beat Nintendo,if Kinect doesn't even beat move how in hell they will even try with Nintendo,Nintendo has not alienated their user base with something like Kinect,they have large portion of the market who can play anything in their console,that will not be the case with Kinect.

According to MS you say it your self,according to sales at the current pace MS will finish this gen last,also what you do on this gen is not probably what will happen in the other,we don't know what will happen next gen,is illogical that ms actually think that way,after starting this gen and been so close to end 3rd.

beast786 said:

Right, it's pretty obvious that MS is going after Nintendo and the Wii with Kinect.

Six feet from the screen? Good god, why not just include a pair of binoculars while you are at it. I'm really getting a Game Room-good-idea-horrible-execution feeling from Kinect.

Tormentoso said:
According to MS you say it your self,according to sales at the current pace MS will finish this gen last,also what you do on this gen is not probably what will happen in the other,we don't know what will happen next gen,is illogical that ms actually think that way,after starting this gen and been so close to end 3rd.

It's silly to think that even if at the end of this gen, MS ends up in third that they haven't been tremendously successful at establishing their brand and raising their profile after a pretty dismal first outing. A third place finish wouldn't signify any kind of failure considering all that they've accomplished in terms of capturing mind share this generation.

BenjaminBirdie said:
It's silly to think that even if at the end of this gen, MS ends up in third that they haven't been tremendously successful at establishing their brand and raising their profile after a pretty dismal first outing. A third place finish wouldn't signify any kind of failure considering all that they've accomplished in terms of capturing mind share this generation.

Yeah we also can call all other fail attends that way,when other company's fail they fail,when MS fail magically they don't,because they capture a mind share this gen,hell even the DC did that,and the N64.

Why is so hard for people to get that MS fail,hell sony fail this one to,is not about getting 2nd or 3rd is about been first,MS was not shooting for second this gen when they went ahead,they were pointing toward been first,and they loss just like Sony,Nintendo won for worst or best.

But what i say is part right,if you can beat the guy close to you,how would you beat the one that is not even close.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
One thing is for sure, there's been a TON of chatter about Kinect during and post E3 and not a lot about Move. Somebody's plan worked pretty damn well. :lol

chespace said:
One thing is for sure, there's been a TON of chatter about Kinect during and post E3 and not a lot about Move. Somebody's plan worked pretty damn well. :lol

But you're working with an exclusive Kinect title so wouldn't you hear more chatter on the Kinect by default? Wait, or do you mean in general. The Kinect talk has defiantly dominated GAF in the last week. That's for sure.

Tormentoso said:
Yeah we also can call all other fail attends that way,when other company's fail they fail,when MS fail magically they don't,because they capture a mind share this gen,hell even the DC did that,and the N64.

Why is so hard for people to get that MS fail,hell sony fail this one to,is not about getting 2nd or 3rd is about been first,MS was not shooting for second this gen when they went ahead,they were pointing toward been first,and they loss just like Sony,Nintendo won for worst or best.

But what i say is part right,if you can beat the guy close to you,how would you beat the one that is not even close.

They improved their situation. Thinking this generation is all about what place you end up in, especially when Nintendo will inevitably so far ahead of both of them and inevitably Sony will be pretty darn close, calling this gen a failure for them because of their ranking is short sighted to say the least.

chespace

OldJadedGamer said:
But you're working with an exclusive Kinect title so wouldn't you hear more chatter on the Kinect by default?
I'm not talking about internal chatter, what are you daft? :lol

chespace said:

Most of it has been laughter from what I see.

So are MS never going to actually "reveal" the Kinect price but just start selling it for $150? Interesting way to downplay potential negative publicity...

Kusagari

It's not like there was ever any chatter about Move to begin with :lol . Let's be serious, Move is going to bomb hard. Nobody cares either way.

Ranger X

Fourth Storm said:
So are MS never going to actually "reveal" the Kinect price but just start selling it for $150? Interesting way to downplay potential negative publicity...

But this thing might just be the next PSP GO. Seriously.

chespace

Kusagari said:
It's not like there was ever any chatter about Move to begin with :lol . Let's be serious, Move is going to bomb hard. Nobody cares either way.
I don't know if Move is going to bomb, but at this point, nobody gives a shit. Even Sony fans would rather talk about Kinect.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Fourth Storm said:
Would you announce the price of something you made that was hideously overpriced? I think people learned their lesson from SCE. i.e.: Dont announce shitty prices.

beast786

chespace said:
I don't know if Move is going to bomb, but at this point, nobody gives a shit. Even Sony fans would rather talk about Kinect.

Well, there are more than 31 games including hardcore games supported by moves for htis fall. When things works, there is not much to debate about. ITs when things dont work is when GAF makes 100 threads.

I cant think of any Move threads in which we talk about how it doesnt work while sitting or more than 2 player or distance between.

GAF is like a Jerry spinger show. We like to talk about the Big Crash.

DMeisterJ said:
Would you announce the price of something you made that was hideously overpriced? I think people learned their lesson from SCE. i.e.: Dont announce shitty prices.

No, I wouldn't. I'd do exactly what MS is doing now. :lol

BenjaminBirdie said:
They improved their situation. Thinking this generation is all about what place you end up in, especially when Nintendo will inevitably so far ahead of both of them and inevitably Sony will be pretty darn close, calling this gen a failure for them because of their ranking is short sighted to say the least.

Let me put it this way,they may have capture some more sales,but the end outcome will probably be the same or worst than last gen,see the PS2 beat the xbox 150 million to 25 millions,sure at the end of the original xbox was more like 100 millions vs 25,but the PS2 still alive.

Now it would be the second time they loose by a big gap,considering that if the Wii keep selling a few more years like it does now,it will beat the PS2 numbers and far outpace the xbox 360,even that the 360 launched first.

Sony (which i love) loss even worst from first to last,for me both loss,and fail.

In fact i even think that Kinect and Move should be hold to the next gen and made standard,if they really want to compete,now all is loss and they could ruin what could be a good opportunity next gen,if they go on with those tech and both fail hard,you did not see Nintendo doing motion with the Gamecube as an ad on,they came full force with it.

Tormentoso said:
Let me put it this way,they may have capture some more sales,but the end outcome will probably be the same or worst than last gen,see the PS2 beat the xbox 150 million to 25 millions,sure at the end of the original xbox was more like 100 millions vs 25,but the PS2 still alive.

Now it would be the second time they loose by a big gap,considering that if the Wii keep selling a few more years like it does now,it will beat the PS2 numbers and far outpace the xbox 360,even that the 360 launched first.

Sony (which i love) loss even worst from first to last,for me both loss,and fail.

In fact i even think that Kinect and Move should be hold into the next gen and made standard,if they really want to compete,now all is loss and they could ruin what could be a good opportunity next gen,if they gone on with those tech and both fail hard,you did not see Nintendo doing motion with the Gamecube as an ad on,they came full force with it.

Well, honestly I think the differences in intent between Wii v. 360 and PS2 v. Xbox are significant enough to jeopardize fair comparison between the two situations.

Firewire

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
Keeping up the fight I see.:lol

DeadGzuz

Banned
chespace said:

Don't worry, it will come out two days after GT5, you and the Kinect group can get together for some great racing to forget about Kinect bad press. :D

Mandoric

Banned
chespace said:

I see. This is like Sony's cunning plan by which they won E3'06 with $599 and Ridge Racer, correct?

Tom Penny

Wag said:
Link

It's nice being a shill for MS. :D

Umm...

My son Brandon and I were watching the show last night. He is 10 and I can't wait to get this Concole in my home. I am in a wheelchair and it will help me out tremendously with working out and doing other mobil things. You are the best and the ROOTS ROCK!!! I love you guys and keep doing your thing.

You guys are so fucking out of touch it's unbelievable. I was talking to the super at my building today, a 50+ year old guy from Staten Island. It was a slow day, I was mentioning how bored I was and we were playing some games via Steam, and he tells me I should get one of those "new motion things" for the Xbox. He's getting one for his family for Christmas.

This thing is going to be heeeuuuugggeeee this holiday. Gaming is doomed, hardcore, et al.

Firewire said:
Keeping up the fight I see.:lol

And what fight is that? I suppose it's easier to write posts like that now that post history isn't as readily available and you can't assume people will quickly come to the conclusion that you must be talking about my fight in championing the new albums by The Chemical Brothers and The Roots.

:lol

Firewire

Banned
SirButterstick said:
You guys are so fucking out of touch it's unbelievable. I was talking to the super at my building today, a 50+ year old guy from Staten Island. It was a slow day, I was mentioning how bored I was and we were playing some games via Steam, and he tells me I should get one of those "new motion things" for the Xbox. He's getting one for his family for Christmas.

This thing is going to be heeeuuuugggeeee this holiday. Gaming is doomed, hardcore, et al.
/thread some dude from Staten Island is buying a kinect.

Top Bottom