• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinect priced at $150 in Microsoft's official online store

jorma

is now taking requests
chespace said:
I dunno, it just feels like Sony threw a Move party and nobody showed up. It's just so unimaginative. I didn't care for Wii motion plus. How is Move any different?

Pre E3:
Move? I dunno, what's the point with this?
Natal, huh? Looks space age, might be some cool minority report shit going on there.

Post E3:
Hey, this Move thingy might actually be pretty cool.
Kinect, lol!

Dante

chespace said:
I dunno, it just feels like Sony threw a Move party and nobody showed up. It's just so unimaginative. I didn't care for Wii motion plus. How is Move any different?

As for sitting down to play the Forza preview we showed -- I don't expect you to know this of course since you weren't at E3, but you can play the game sitting down and Dan showed this in the demo booth.

So there you go, some reassurance or something. :lol

Does it still read your mind?

epk4fa.jpg

cakefoo

flyinpiranha said:
You know, now that it has been pointed out ... it is funny that nobody is talking about Move.
There are far more positive discussions about Move's gaming applications than Kinect. The only positive Kinect discussion is the "zomg I saw it on my favorite talk show and the casuals were swooning over it!"

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
cakefoo said:
There are far more positive discussions about Move's gaming applications than Kinect. The only positive Kinect discussion is the "zomg I saw it on my favorite talk show and the casuals were swooning over it!"
I don't see any discussions about Move. That's the point. Nobody is saying anything about it.

Regardless of technical shortcomings or over-pricing, Kinect has the mindshare and column inches that Sony could only dream of.

[Nintex]

cakefoo said:
I've seen more interest in tumbleweed and logs.

JWong

Banned
cjelly said:
I don't see any discussions about Move. That's the point. Nobody is saying anything about it.

Regardless of technical shortcomings or over-pricing, Kinect has the mindshare and column inches that Sony could only dream of.
You must have missed all of the discussions about it during E3. It's also releasing fairly soon.

There's nothing negative about the Move, so you won't see any ongoing hammering on GAF.

Mandoric

Banned
cjelly said:

Things I have learned this week in Kinect threads:
No E3 publicity is bad E3 publicity, especially when it's about exorbitant price and faked trailers.
The #1 thing on a consumer's mind when purchasing an expensive new console is how much they save by buying it in one chunk.
A vision for a 10-year console generation before replacement is clear and reasonable.
Prices that a company announces themselves are just psyches to trick the competition.

I'm reasonably convinced that none of you actually exist, having all committed suicide in '06 when a certain other system with all of these amazing features launched and certainly -didn't- bomb so hard that the eBay scalpers had to return their stock to the stores. Figments of my GAF-imagination, why do you torment me?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
JWong said:
You must have missed all of the discussions about it during E3. It's also releasing fairly soon.

There's nothing negative about the Move, so you won't see any ongoing hammering on GAF.
I'm not talking about GAF.

I'm talking about the bigger picture.

so many Wii references... i thought that after E3'06, people had moved on to "Wii is a fad/gimmick" and weren't questioning things like price and does it work or not

Afrikan

poor guy....I can't believe they made him do that......the way he leans back alittle trying to match the movements is oh so sad.

they should have had a professional actor in that situation.

spwolf

cjelly said:

didnt all the major gaming sites said it works great and dont we have gaf thread where bunch of people said that after e3 and positive media, they are getting it?

If it didnt, you probably would get a lot of negative press, just like Kinect. Except for paid people, i have to yet see someone say something postive of Kinect, all of the hoopla has not been by casuals, but by hardcore who see no point.

You can see by Che's remarks they are all on their feet due to the negative press.

Afrikan said:
poor guy....I can't believe they made him do that......the way he leans back alittle trying to match the movements is oh so sad.

they should of had a professional actor in that situation.

He's doing a much better job than the professional performer on the launch night.

JWong

Banned
Afrikan said:

they should have had a professional actor in that situation.
wh0ah1.gif

Professional Actors fail too.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
The Faceless Master said:
so many Wii references... i thought that after E3'06, people had moved on to "Wii is a fad/gimmick" and weren't questioning things like price and does it work or not
Why the Wii found success is still a mystery to many people, so it's easy for them to be misled and convince themselves of similarities that aren't really there.

Mr. Miyato

Neo Member
I might be wrong, but isn't the star wars GIF taken from a cutscene? Maybe he's trying to mimic the character onscreen in only that small segment. Is there no video of him actually playing the game?

Also, there are only 3 gifs that have been circulating from the press conference + Cirque du Soleil? I find it pretty amazing that everyone demoing the tech had memorized every move perfectly aside from those three moments.

And, if they didn't, i find it equally amazing that the conferences have only spawned three GIFs, seeing all the hate Kinect seems to be getting here on GAF! :lol

That thing will still sell a lot of units, even at 150$ + 50$ game.

The marketing operation of Kinect is bigger than Move one or even Wii in his pre-launch. I saw a lot of TV shows of Kinect, even when it was still Natal, and none of Move. Microsoft is spending a lot of money making product-placement or buying 10 minutes of prime-time.

Probably they will lose a lot of money from Kinect. If they don't gain money from the units, the big promotions will cost much more than the benefits of the two or three game that an average Kinect user will buy.

It reminds me a lot the efforts of Microsoft to get into Japan. Throwing a lot of money buying exclusive JRPG and incredible sales in Japan, only to make his brand a little more known. It was not to gain money, it was more try to make Sony gain less. That's the same, but trying to compete with Wii.

Razgreez

Mr. Miyato said:
I might be wrong, but isn't the star wars GIF taken from a cutscene? Maybe he's trying to mimic the character onscreen in only that small segment. Is there no video of him actually playing the game?

Also, there are only 3 gifs that have been circulating from the press conference + Cirque du Soleil? I find it pretty amazing that everyone demoing the tech had memorized every move perfectly aside from those three moments.

And, if they didn't, i find it equally amazing that the conferences have only spawned three GIFs, seeing all the hate Kinect seems to be getting here on GAF! :lol

Sometimes, when the mind is clouded with recollections, it's the ones that are most familiar that come to the for. It's akin to when one is asked to choose a number. For most individuals that number is instantly chosen without actually thinking.

Similarly with kinect there have been so many bloopers and so much deception that it's hard to choose apart from the most emphatic ones.

I still maintain kinect will/might sell moderately well in the US aka xbox-land and the UK aka little-xbox-land. Beyond those 2 territories only time will tell. I see move being a real slow burner though with real market penetration only happening in a few yrs time

chespace said:

Would you say Kinect is the definitive motion control?

chespace said:

As for sitting down to play the Forza preview we showed -- I don't expect you to know this of course since you weren't at E3, but you can play the game sitting down and Dan showed this in the demo booth.

so it's pretty much confirmed that this is application/game-specific and Kinect actually allows you to play while sitting down but it depends on the game.

Solid warrior said:
so it's pretty much confirmed that this is application/game-specific and Kinect actually allows you to play while sitting down but it depends on the game.

He still didn't answer my question about using gas/brake while sitting.

derFeef

akachan ningen said:
He still didn't answer my question about using gas/brake while sitting.
In the Forza Kinect demo there was no manual gas/braking, the game did it itself. So why should he know that?

TheOddOne

Redbeard said:
Naturally, Kinect was revealed for the first time at E3 with all of its launch titles.

Move was revealed months ago at GDC along with most of the games that will be around at launch.

There's simply more to talk about with Kinect, which has been shrouded in secrecy and still to this day has a smoke and mirrors campaign being given by Microsoft to promote it.

There's actually a lot of Sony fans that are looking forward to the device, I don't know who you're talking to or hanging out with besides Dan Greenwalt that is saying otherwise, but there's a lot of excitement for a device that can be used to improve the hardcore gaming experience.

Kinect can't do that, and there's a lot of people that passionately disagree with the way Microsoft is going with this so there is going to be more chatter by default simply because it's more controversial.
You are either misinformed or just making stuff up :lol

Raist

Banned
I don't know why people are freaking out because of that 6 feet distance. I mean the thing has to trck your whole body, and given the rather limited vertical FOV of the camera it's not really surprising.

Sydle

Raist said:
I don't know why people are freaking out because of that 6 feet distance. I mean the thing has to trck your whole body, and given the rather limited vertical FOV of the camera it's not really surprising.

People just want something to bitch about. I'm still waiting for the thread on how Kinect will require another power outlet.

"OMG, casual gamers don't own power strips. How could Microsoft fuck this up?!"

Raist said:

Yeah, not being able to sit down and the price is ridiculous, but the distance thing should be completely expected.

Also, in regards to the perception of Kinect.... GAF != to real world

Personally, I think if MS could find a way to sell this thing for 99 dollars with a mini game collection they'd have a hit. Maybe not a Wii killer, but a success.

Osietra

Banned
Raist said:
The 6 ft issue in basically a non-issue. We have a great park near us, and for sure we'll be taking this on picnics with the kids.

Everyone lives near a park.

CoG

Tom Penny said:
What? I don't know 1 person that doesn't have 6 feet in their living room. Even in apartments although you might have to move a coffee table or something.

I got 6.5" from my TV to my couch, with a coffee table in between. Not all us city folks live in huge lofts.

pr0cs

Osietra said:
The 6 ft issue in basically a non-issue. We have a great park near us, and for sure we'll be taking this on picnics with the kids.

Everyone lives near a park.
6 feet is a park now? WTF? do you people live in cardboard boxes with your TVs and HT setup now?

pr0cs said:
6 feet is a park now? WTF? do you people live in cardboard boxes with your TVs and HT setup now?

In my living room is not possible. It's 7 feet from wall to wall. So the only way to play it should be take out the sofa.

LCfiner

Of all the major problems Kinect has, the 6' playing distance isn't one of them.

The Wii has done just fine for itself and some of its most popular games require a similar amount of space.

The major problems are software selection and price. 6' of living room space isn't a dealbreaker to go to market.

Tom Penny

PopcornMegaphone said:
Yeah, not being able to sit down and the price is ridiculous, but the distance thing should be completely expected.

Also, in regards to the perception of Kinect.... GAF != to real world

Personally, I think if MS could find a way to sell this thing for 99 dollars with a mini game collection they'd have a hit. Maybe not a Wii killer, but a success.

Kids are going to eat up shovelware like this Sonic game. There is doubt about it. A 4 year old could play the game and that the whole point whether people like it or not. They are going to have hardcore, casual and ultra casual rolled into one console bundle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WilsgQJ9iFk

thefro

Tom Penny said:
What? I don't know 1 person that doesn't have 6 feet in their living room. Even in apartments although you might have to move a coffee table or something.

Most GAFers seem to have 80" HDTVs in that type of space. Hence the obsession with jaggies that you can't even see in a proper size living room.

chespace said:

More applause were hear at the unveiling of Sorcery for move than on the complete MS conference,(taking away the end when they announce free slim for every one).:lol

Also if you have the link to were they play forza while been seat it would be nice,since every article i have read point to all demos been done standing up,worst yet unlike last year were you could accelerate and break with your foot in a racing game,this time all was automatic which is pretty pathetic,you just could turn left or right and that was about it.

It has been show in multiple movies and gifts,it has lag as hell,character move even when you don't,hell one Kotaku bring in the air,Kinect tracing some one who wasn't in front of the camera while a racing game was demo,and it completely mess up the steering for the person playing.

That is the real reason why people keep talking about Kinect, and not so much about move,Move release line look solid,and the tech work even better than Nintendo's and is cheaper than Kinect,so what will people complain about,hell the tech even works for hardcore games,so why would any one complain.?

Top Bottom