• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinect priced at $150 in Microsoft's official online store

freddy

Banned
CrayzeeCarl said:
:lol @ the kleenex and lotion in #13
:lol :lol :lol

Ok and yea Kinect $150 bucks

Microsoft reps in here doing damage control
and trolling Sony

"you don't know the audience but I do"

Microsoft rep soft trolling the Wii for something connect can't do. Wrist movement.

The thread keeps on keeping on for sure

mckmas8808 said:
That sounds great and all, but there's no reason for MS to not target their hard core user base. There's no excuse for that. Nintendo didn't do that, so why would MS?
spot on.

I think they'll eventually target the core audience, it's just a matter of time.

PhatSaqs

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
That sounds great and all, but there's no reason for MS to not target their hard core user base. There's no excuse for that. Nintendo didn't do that, so why would MS?
E3 2K8 says hi...

But you're right. People need to stop acting like the Kinect launch lineup is the end all.

CoG

BorkBork said:
I haven't been keeping up, but is the object scanning feature still part of Kinect's package?

Pretty much take everything you saw in last year's E3 promo reel and assume it is not part of Kinect. Pit Stop Dad changing tires included.

CoG said:
Pretty much take everything you saw in last year's E3 promo reel and assume it is not part of Kinect. Pit Stop Dad changing tires included.

Good point, assume everything is out because a 1.5 hour conference didn't show it and the games demo'd on the floor weren't those and we're still 5 months from launch.

Does it even have a camera anymore?

watership

tea_and_crumpets said:
At $150 I predict failure. Needs the magic $99 to take off.

I hope that Microsoft makes this decision. It's a loss, but then if it gets into lots of homes, games for it will start pouring in. It's unique enough to gain it's own audience, but that audience will grow slower at 150 dollars.

Amneisac

I really don't see the price as the main problem with Kinect. I mean if it had awesome games, I'd shell out $150 for it without any problem. It isn't that much more expensive than Move, and it's cheaper when you start talking about 2 or more controllers (which is kind of what both products are going for).

Honestly, I think Move and Kinect both look like shit right now and I'm not seeing anything out of either of them that makes me want to spend the money.

Fuck I'd pay $200 for Kinect and a wireless gun peripheral if I could play crazy ass interactive light gun games diving the behind the couch and shit. I'd pay $250 if I could put something on my dog and get her to run around killing NPCs Dead to Rights: Retribution style.

JWong

Banned
Amneisac said:
Fuck I'd pay $200 for Kinect and a wireless gun peripheral if I could play crazy ass interactive light gun games diving the behind the couch and shit. I'd pay $250 if I could put something on my dog and get her to run around killing NPCs Dead to Rights: Retribution style.
Isn't that kind of a contradiction?

Amneisac

JWong said:
Isn't that kind of a contradiction?

No, the Kinect camera detects my body's movements and the gun is to detect precise aiming and to have a nice tactile feel while I jump around my living room like a douchebag. I think Kinect sounds most interesting in my own mind when used in conjunction with another controller.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Amneisac said:
No, the Kinect camera detects my body's movements and the gun is to detect precise aiming and to have a nice tactile feel while I jump around my living room like a douchebag. I think Kinect sounds most interesting in my own mind when used in conjunction with another controller.

he meant that would a contradiction of how it's being pushed/marketed.

I like what you say though, a kinect device combined with something like Sony's wand would probably be great.

Amneisac said:

that sounds just like...move.

levious said:
I like what you say though, a kinect device combined with something like Sony's wand would probably be great.
Honest question: isn't Sony's eyetoy camera pretty much what you're saying? I guess Kinetic is more advanced, but in the end, isn't it the same principle? Camera to track movement and "pointer" (wand) for precision?

If Microsoft (not third parties, Microsoft) sees the need to release peripherals for Kinect, then I'd say then that their little experiment failed.
[EDIT]

kazuma_pt said:
): beaten like someone who was just beaten so badly.

Tom Penny

mckmas8808 said:
So it's not for 80% of their user base. So again how is this a good thing? Are you one of those type of people that believes Nintendo's Wii is a success because they pushed the Wiimote to casuals only?

I don't care what the Wii did. Kinect's focus is to make the X360 and all in 1 device and expand their market which wasn't a high % of casual gamers.

Come holiday season your have a commercial

1) shows a dude playing Halo Reach
2) shows his wife doing a fitness game
3) shows his little kid playing some sort of educational game or that animal game

all on the same console

The console now covers core gamers , casuals ( wii fiit / sport crowd ) , and and even an younger userbase that could have never played games before. It appeals to all 3 groups. That is Kinects focus. To make the X360 a multi user / multi function console all wrapped in one. That is why it will sell ( console bundles). As a peripheral I don't see it doing very well but it's going to have people buying it as a total package if its $299. Move isn't pushing consoles Kinect will.

venne

mckmas8808 said:

Perhaps Microsoft wants to make Kinect as accessible as possible?

Honestly, what do you think they should do? I don't want to wave my arms around to do things that would be much easier to accomplish with a simple button press. The only thing I can think of that would enhance my experience in core games would be head tracking. I have my doubts that the 360 has the processing power to keep up with that on top of a standard game.

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

levious

FunkyPajamas said:
Honest question: isn't Sony's eyetoy camera pretty much what you're saying? I guess Kinetic is more advanced, but in the end, isn't it the same principle? Camera to track movement and "pointer" (wand) for precision?

If Microsoft (not third parties, Microsoft) sees the need to release peripherals for Kinect, then I'd say then that their little experiment failed.

well Sony's camera would only be tracking your move devices, whereas with what he was suggesting plus what I said, it could possibly be tracking your whole body plus tracking the device in your hand, plus the device's accelerometers, plus button inputs. Could make for some interesting gameplay.

Amneisac

kazuma_pt said:

Except I'm holding a gun and not a vibrator when I imagine it. Seriously though, I love the idea of a Kinect / Eye Toy like device combined with a light gun style peripheral.

Amneisac said:
Except I'm holding a gun and not a vibrator when I imagine it. Seriously though, I love the idea of a Kinect / Eye Toy like device combined with a light gun style peripheral.
Then boy, do I have a surprise for you. :)
levious said:
well Sony's camera would only be tracking your move devices, whereas with what he was suggesting plus what I said, it could possibly be tracking your whole body plus tracking the device in your hand, plus the device's accelerometers, plus button inputs. Could make for some interesting gameplay.
Oh, ok, I thought the eyetoy also tracked body motion, not just the device.

levious

FunkyPajamas said:
Then boy, do I have a surprise for you

Oh, ok, I thought the eyetoy also tracked body motion, not just the device.

well I never thought of that, I mean the old eye toy tracked body movement, don't know if they're pushing that with this move concept though, you could right about that. I just don't know if it can track move and your body at once.

TL4E

My bedroom has approximately 4-5 feet between my TV and bed. So I suppose this just just puts another nail in the coffin for me. :lol

(If I really wanted to, I'm sure I could rearrange my living quarters, but alas I'm not sold on Kinect)

Amneisac said:
Oh that Move gun attachment is pretty neat. Is that made by KitchenAid?
:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol holy shit you almost made me spit my water. It does look silly, I was kinda being tongue-in-cheek when I posted it as well. The "ping pong ball" in the front does not help it at all.
levious said:
well I never thought of that, I mean the old eye toy tracked body movement, don't know if they're pushing that with this move concept though, you could right about that. I just don't know if it can track move and your body at once.
I honestly don't know if that's what sony's going for, but to me the eyetoy requirement doesn't make any sense unless they are thinking of doing augmented reality games or doing body motion tracking.

And, as is the case with Microsoft's Kinect, the fact that most of the "magic" behind the peripheral is handled via software rather than hardware makes me confident that we will see even more interesting stuff a year from now, for both devices.

Finally, I'm just going to leave this here for research purposes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUhO8puPWVg

Tom Penny said:
The console now covers core gamers , casuals ( wii fiit / sport crowd ) , and and even an younger userbase that could have never played games before. It appeals to all 3 groups. That is Kinects focus. To make the X360 a multi user / multi function console all wrapped in one. That is why it will sell ( console bundles). As a peripheral I don't see it doing very well but it's going to have people buying it as a total package if its $299. Move isn't pushing consoles Kinect will.

The mass market at large won't care because they already have a Wii. Microsoft is years too late to attract such an audience.

Case in point we have a Wii and PS3 in our house and we don't see a point in blowing a few hundred on 360 + Kinect, even though my wife is a huge Just Dance fan.

Too little, too late, too expensive. I doubt I'm the only one who feels this way.

It'll be more successful than Move but it's not going to be some game changing phenomenon.

Amneisac

I guess I'm just really cynical about motion controls in general. I had such high hopes for motion plus, but it just hasn't really come through for me except with TW2010. I would love to see Move or Kinect find a nice balance of getting more people to play games and also giving new and fun experiences to the hardcore gamer. I do think Dance Central looks fun, but I'm too proud (scared) to play it. I also don't see anyway I can drop like $300 between move and Kinect so I'm hoping either one clearly defeats the other or they both drop in price.

Not sure if mentioned but the MS store has been updated to say that it's just placeholder price and that the real price hasn't been officially announced yet.

en-US151_Xbox360_Kinect_Sensor_ZZN-00001_spec_mssg.png

DeadGzuz

Banned
Tom Penny said:
I don't care what the Wii did. Kinect's focus is to make the X360 and all in 1 device and expand their market which wasn't a high % of casual gamers.

Come holiday season your have a commercial

1) shows a dude playing Halo Reach
2) shows his wife doing a fitness game
3) shows his little kid playing some sort of educational game or that animal game

all on the same console

All three systems can have a similar commercial.

Sony:
1) Dad playing SOCOM 4 w/ Move
2) Mom playing Singstar Dance
3) Kid playing Eyepet or Start the Party
4) Whole family playing LBP2
5) Family watching Up on Blu-Ray

Nin:
Don't know there lineup, but I'm sure they have this covered.

OldJadedGamer said:
Not sure if mentioned but the MS store has been updated to say that it's just placeholder price and that the real price hasn't been officially announced yet.

Is it me or does the Kinect look kind of sad in that image? It's like it doesn't want us to fight anymore.

Chrange

Banned
freddy said:
Microsoft rep soft trolling the Wii for something connect can't do. Wrist movement.

Can't it? They keep saying 'full body scanning' is 48 joints but have never said what that entails. I thought that had to include wrists, even if you stack up 20 on the torso.

Hmmmm Microsoft needs to come out with a pricing on this thing soon enough, this whole apple-esque marketing scheme might back fire on them.

watership

You know the end of Kinect videos where they show the Kinect nodding at you, cuz it's motorized and yet so many people don't even realize that? I love it.

IRRATIONAL PURCHASE.

Come on, MS, make it $99.

Doncortez

OldJadedGamer said:

Why use a placeholder amount when M$ already claim to know the final price?

Tom Penny

DeadGzuz said:
All three systems can have a similar commercial.

Sony:
1) Dad playing SOCOM 4 w/ Move
2) Mom playing Singstar Dance
3) Kid playing Eyepet or Start the Party
4) Whole family playing LBP2
5) Family watching Up on Blu-Ray

Nin:
Don't know there lineup, but I'm sure they have this covered.

Except the BIG difference is going to be price of entry. About $200 more for the move experience and Wii isn't HD so it's not the same as a whole even people want to claim it is.

Bizzyb

Banned
You know, until I see REAL support from 3rd parties, I just can't take kinect seriously as a gaming platform.

Sure it may the best place to get your dance on or aerobics but that is not the platform for me so until then I could care less who says what about Kinect and what promises it will or won't fulfill.

JWong

Banned
Amneisac said:
Contradiction meaning Kinect is a controller-less device. You want a controller for it.

You might as well get the guncon.

Top Bottom