• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinect priced at $150 in Microsoft's official online store

Doncortez

The PS move has been able to show off live and impressive tech demostrations and Kinect only promised certain features (scanning in objects) and failed to demostrate them after a year of announcing it. Instead they mask them with mini game collections and the only game people are raving about is made by a 3rd party (Dance Central), which is sad. M$ has enough time with the tech to present something impressive....

I shake my head at people who is willing to pay $150 just to live their Minority Report fantasies...

Doncortez said:
The PS move has been able to show off live and impressive tech demostrations and Kinect only promised certain features (scanning in objects) and failed to demostrate them after a year of announcing it. Instead they mask them with mini game collections and the only game people are raving about is made by a 3rd party (Dance Central), which is sad. M$ has enough time with the tech to present something impressive....

I shake my head at people who is willing to pay $150 just to live their Minority Report fantasies...

It's cool. I shake my head at people who still spell "Microsoft" with a dollar sign.

jedimike

[Nintex] said:
So why isn't there any software that takes advantage of Kinect's 'unique' features other than Dancing games.

What? What game doesn't use the unique features? I'm not going to go through the list, but I'm really tired of people labeling Kinect games as Wii rip-offs. Just take a game like Kinect Adventures, it could not be done on the wii. You have to use your body to jump, dodge, duck and grab the stars. Then it captures moments with the camera. Sure you can swing the wiimote up or down or left and right to simulate jumping, ducking and dodging... but that isn't what the games are about. Kinect Adventures is fun because you perform the actions.

derFeef

SeaOfMadness said:
I still can't believe that came from Gizmodo.. wow
You mean because it´s positive? Oh wow, why?

jedimike said:
What? What game doesn't use the unique features? I'm not going to go through the list, but I'm really tired of people labeling Kinect games as Wii rip-offs. Just take a game like Kinect Adventures, it could not be done on the wii. You have to use your body to jump, dodge, duck and grab the stars. Then it captures moments with the camera. Sure you can swing the wiimote up or down or left and right to simulate jumping, ducking and dodging... but that isn't what the games are about. Kinect Adventures is fun because you perform the actions.
I liked the "make figures to collect coins" part. Remembered me of that human tetris show. :D

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
venne said:
Perhaps Microsoft wants to make Kinect as accessible as possible?
Honestly, what do you think they should do? I don't want to wave my arms around to do things that would be much easier to accomplish with a simple button press. The only thing I can think of that would enhance my experience in core games would be head tracking. I have my doubts that the 360 has the processing power to keep up with that on top of a standard game.
I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Head tracking would be a good start. But me or you shouldn't be the ones to come up with the good gaming reasons to put this in top tier Xbox 360 games. It should be MS's 1st party game developers that do that.

I just don't see why some of their biggest properties won't have Kinect support this year. Why wait? It'll be a great way to sell this thing to current 360 owners.

PoliceCop

Banned
jedimike said:

Take a nap.

venne

mckmas8808 said:
Head tracking would be a good start. But me or you shouldn't be the ones to come up with the good gaming reasons to put this in top tier Xbox 360 games. It should be MS's 1st party game developers that do that.

I just don't see why some of their biggest properties won't have Kinect support this year. Why wait? It'll be a great way to sell this thing to current 360 owners.

It's been rumored that Fable 3 will have some sort of Kinect functionality. If it's a token mini-game or some obscure function that would be better served on the standard controller, then I think they should just leave it out. I personally think it will be tacked on garbage; I suppose we'll see if my assumption is correct if it is indeed supported.

Utilizing motion just because it's possible is trite to me. I don't want them to add physical grenade throwing in Gears or Reach just because they can. I can hit a shoulder button much quicker than I can make a windmill motion and I won't have to let go of my controller. Looking at Killzone 2's use of motion, the only part I found enjoyable was the loading screens. I don't want to physically turn a valve whilst holding triggers. X works just fine, thank you. I remember playing Folklore for the first time and thinking how neat it was to pull the souls out, after the fifth or so time I found it to be an annoyance.

I suppose I think motion controls should be an all or nothing type of thing. Don't just piece it into a game arbitrarily, make it a cornerstone. It ruins the experience when I have to remember to physically do something after I've spent the past twenty or so minutes just using the controller in a standard fashion.

Philthy

venne said:
It's been rumored that Fable 3 will have some sort of Kinect functionality.

Maybe if we stand in place and gallop faster, it will make the ingame horse riding faster.

IT WILL BE AWESOME. SOLD!!!!!!!

goomba

Banned
Why is it motorised?

Seriously that will add quite a cost to the thing... which should have gone to having its own CPU.

Shanadeus said:
Why shouldn't one use M$?
It's a reflection of a poster's maturity, like saying lamestation or nintendork.

I'd say GT fans trying to bait che into a shouting match falls into the same realm.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
It's a reflection of a poster's maturity, like saying lamestation or nintendork.

I'd say GT fans trying to bait che into a shouting match falls into the same realm.
Actually, I think che is the one doing the baiting. His ":lol" at the end of every sentence seems to me like the typical troll signature (My apologies to you Che if I'm mistaken).

But yeah, I agree, the whole "M$" thing feels to me like the one using it thinks other corporations don't really care about money, which is just... :/
The Faceless Master said:
i vote for SON¥
What about Nint€ndo?

Shanadeus

Banned
FunkyPajamas said:
But yeah, I agree, the whole "M$" thing feels to me like the one using it thinks other corporations don't really care about money, which is just... :/

What about Nint€ndo?
Nah, Nintendo price their stuff thinking of us gamers - they are our friends.
Microsoft doesn't, and are thus called M$.

Chrange said:
I just hate when someone links to a place that just stole info from an actual source :D

We didn't "steal" anything; we very clearly cited the source, which I'm guessing is how you found it too.

And as the ones who broke the news regarding the why of Grinder's absence from E3, we really don't mind when other sites "steal" our news either, as long as they cite us as the source.

szaromir

Banned
Shanadeus said:
LOL
Did you compare DS(/i/XL) to other handheld devices of the same price range? Nintendo overprices their hardware just as anybody else in gaming.

TL4E

Shanadeus said:

Maybe in your own personal reality simulation.

That's almost equivalent to saying that the dollar stores are our friends because they sell for cheap. They sell for cheap because there's a market for people with limited budgets. Nintendo's primary interest is still financial.

Likewise, there's an advantage in having a $50 cap in a $60 game market or having the cheapest console (see: Wii, GCN, etc.)

Shanadeus said:
indeed.

fBcex.jpg

The problem of Natal is the NO CONTROLLER bullshit.

Seriously, it's ok if they want to have a camera for casual games.

But they only showed Eyetoy+ games. Non a single "enhanced feature" for core games, like Sony did with Move, PSEye or 3D.

When Kotaku asked if they will use Kinect to improve core games like Halo Reach or Gears of War 3, Microsoft said that no. That core games are with controller and Kinect games to use without controller. Also, that no 360 games will be updated to have Kinect features.

If they have shown, for example, someone playing Forza with a controller or a wheel, using Kinect to have headtracking, and then, showing how the player can take out the hands from the wheel, and keep playing. Or show, in Halo Reach campaign, giving orders to the support soldiers. But no.

No use of Kinect improve for hardcore games. None. Zero. As much, you can play Forza with the wheel or controller, but without headtracking... or play it without controller, with the unacurate hand position, and headtracking. And no head tracking (maybe not even voice command) for Halo Reach, Gears of War, Call of Duty, etc. They didn't even mentioned Kinect as an alternative of headphone speakers in the games (like PSEye can be used). The only thing that core games have is the promise of Kinect improvements in Fable, that probably will be a set of Kinect minigames, like the Fable Pub Games, to earn more money.

And NO single party has talked also about enhancements of core games with Kinect. I suspect that MS maybe even forbidden the use of Kinect as enhancement of controller experiences.

Shanadeus said:

Yeah, that's why Wii give profits from day 1, and 360 and PS3 give loses with any unit sold. And they kept Wii price during 3 years. Because they price their stuff thinking of us.

Vamphuntr

Shanadeus said:

Really? Their controllers are as expensive. Also never forget the nes roms on gba carts they sold for 20$ each.

Bentendo

DangerousDave said:
If they have shown, for example, someone playing Forza with a controller or a wheel, using Kinect to have headtracking, and then, showing how the player can take out the hands from the wheel, and keep playing. Or show, in Halo Reach campaign, giving orders to the support soldiers. But no.

But that would have required someone to sit down. AND THAT KIND OF TECHNOLOGY DOEZEENT EXEEST.

TL4E

Air Zombie Meat said:
Wait, you guys think Shanadeus was serious? :lol

Well, if he wasn't: I sincerely apologize for my embarrassingly dysfunctional Internet Sarcasm Detector.

TheOddOne

DangerousDave said:
The problem of Natal is the NO CONTROLLER bullshit.

Seriously, it's ok if they want to have a camera for casual games.

But they only showed Eyetoy+ games. Non a single "enhanced feature" for core games, like Sony did with Move, PSEye or 3D.

When Kotaku asked if they will use Kinect to improve core games like Halo Reach or Gears of War 3, Microsoft said that no. That core games are with controller and Kinect games to use without controller. Also, that no 360 games will be updated to have Kinect features.

No use of Kinect improve for hardcore games. None. Zero. As much, you can play Forza with the wheel or controller, but without headtracking... or play it without controller, with the unacurate hand position, and headtracking. And no head tracking (maybe not even voice command) for Halo Reach, Gears of War, Call of Duty, etc. They didn't even mentioned Kinect as an alternative of headphone speakers in the games (like PSEye can be used). The only thing that core games have is the promise of Kinect improvements in Fable, that probably will be a set of Kinect minigames, like the Fable Pub Games, to earn more money.

And NO single party has talked also about enhancements of core games with Kinect. I suspect that MS maybe even forbidden the use of Kinect as enhancement of controller experiences.
This was know long before E3, people would have known that if they followed the Natal thread. It only works if the game is built up from the ground for Kinect.

Deku

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:

and ninthings am I rite?

but che's replying to it, so they will bait :p

szaromir said:
LOL
Did you compare DS(/i/XL) to other handheld devices of the same price range? Nintendo overprices their hardware just as anybody else in gaming.
TL4E said:
Maybe in your own personal reality simulation.
The Faceless Master said:
DangerousDave said:
Yeah, that's why Wii give profits from day 1, and 360 and PS3 give loses with any unit sold. And they kept Wii price during 3 years. Because they price their stuff thinking of us.
Er.. I don't think he was being serious, was he? We're just fooling around.
derFeef said:
Wow. Shaking my head at some posts. People getting away with this is really sad.
You're right, the thread is pretty much derailed at this point. I think I probably contributed to that as well.

On topic: When do you guys think we'll see a final price for Kinect? mid-september/october makes sense, we'll probably see the bundles adverts in stores by the end of October, I think. The big advertising push will probably start in september as well. I'm still thinking U$150 is not going to be the final price. I'm thinking more along the lines of U$99.

derFeef

FunkyPajamas said:
On topic: When do you guys think we'll see a final price for Kinect? mid-september/october makes sense, we'll probably see the bundles adverts in stores by the end of October, I think. The big advertising push will probably start in september as well. I'm still thinking U$150 is not going to be the final price. I'm thinking more along the lines of U$99.

I read somewhere that Gamescom may be the event where they announce a price. They also need to start advertise bundles and whatnot. I am in fear people will buy this thing without having an xbox.

Top Bottom