• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where is the hype for ps4 pro???

hichanbis

Banned
i lost the hype for it when i realised i'd need to drop not only £350 for a new console but £300-500 on a new 4K tv to play most games in a resolution lower than 4K. it's not even worth buying just a PS4 pro to play at 1080p when i have a PC that can actually play games at 1440p 60fps or 4K 30fps.

When you find a solution to play Yakuza 0, Nioh, FFXV, Persona 5, [insert any console exclusive] on a PC I'll agree with you. In the meantime they are two separates devices with differents games so there's really no point comparing them.
And as for the need to buy a 4K tv, it's also a bit useless as 1080@60 with enhanced details will always look (and play) much better than 4K@30 with OG level of details.

icespide

Banned
When you find a solution to play Yakuza 0, Nioh, FFXV, Persona 5, [insert any console exclusive] on a PC I'll agree with you. In the meantime they are two separates devices with differents games so there's really no point comparing them.
And as for the need to buy a 4K tv, it's also a bit useless as 1080@60 with enhanced details will always look much better than 4K@30 with OG level of details.
we mostly won't get 1080@60 with Pro modes though

Horp

It's not enough of an upgrade for me to feel excited. should have made it proper pro, give it a significantly higher price tag and finally let couch/pad gamers feel the true HD experience with no holding back.

It obviously says something that so many here are ill-informed about what the Pro will actually do. I just expected a bit more of you on a gaming forum to be a little more proactive in learning about the Pro rather than spouting off easily disproved things about the console.

-ALL games starting from basically now it is mandatory that they have a "Pro" mode.

-1080P tv's should see substantial improvements in better performance/prettier graphics and perhaps more user options to customize how they want to play. See Tomb Raider as an example in how this might be going forward, https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vg...me-rate-options-on-ps4-pro/amp/?client=safari
Check out Digital Foundry who have seen it firsthand and also have talked at length about what this might do for 1080p tv's.

Also, you guys really wouldn't buy a console based on its looks when the predecessor looks almost identical? Like, you're trying to play games on it, not date it. I'm honestly flabbergasted so many care about the looks of a console.

I really think so many of you are being naive in thinking the performance boost won't mean much to you. When other console owners are running Final Fantasy, Horizon, Mass Effect, Red Dead (?!), etc. with better perfomance in "Pro" mode you'll be bummed.

Pro definitely isn't for everyone, but i'm thrilled there's now a console option to play games on not a three year old console.

Perfect summary.

If anything, I'd bet that existing PS4 users are going to be more interested in XB1 or NX than a newer, slightly better PS4.

That's only the case if there's games on those consoles that they actually care about... And considering all XB1 exclusives will be launching on PC, that takes any desire I have of ever buying one.

I'll be buying a Pro and an NX though! And a few XB1 "exclusives" on PC!

hichanbis

Banned
we mostly won't get 1080@60 with Pro modes though

Depending on the game genre 1080@60 with og level of details > 1080@30 with increased details (mostly competitive games).
Anyway I'm sure developers will give us more choice regarding graphical options from now on (because they'll have to create different presents for OG/Pro/4K/PSVR so why not make it an option).

Perfect summary.

If anything, I'd bet that existing PS4 users are going to be more interested in XB1 or NX than a newer, slightly better PS4.
Games tho...and where your peers play, much more important than features. Pro is an easy upgrade for a lot of current PS4 users IMO.

kami_sama

One thing I'm very eager to see when it releases is the internals, after seeing the slim, I want to know what they did to fit the power block inside the case.

icespide

Banned
Depending on the game genre 1080@60 with og level of details > 1080@30 with increased details (mostly competitive games).
Anyway I'm sure developers will give us more choice regarding graphical options from now on (because they'll have to create different presents for OG/Pro/4K/PSVR so why not make it an option).
we'll have to wait and see but i doubt 60fps will be the norm for Pro modes. Tomb Raider is the exception right now with all of its different modes and options

ViolentP

As a PS4 owner, I don't see the value in upgrading to a Pro. Yet I will always know my games could perform better than they do. I feel I'm in a bit of a losing situation.

I'm hyped for improved remote play. Also my current PS4 is loud af.

Anyone know where the best place to trade in my old console would be? I feel bad selling it to someone because of how loud it gets.

Jumeira

Banned
It obviously says something that so many here are ill-informed about what the Pro will actually do. I just expected a bit more of you on a gaming forum to be a little more proactive in learning about the Pro rather than spouting off easily disproved things about the console.

-ALL games starting from basically now it is mandatory that they have a "Pro" mode.

-1080P tv's should see substantial improvements in better performance/prettier graphics and perhaps more user options to customize how they want to play. See Tomb Raider as an example in how this might be going forward, https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vg...me-rate-options-on-ps4-pro/amp/?client=safari
Check out Digital Foundry who have seen it firsthand and also have talked at length about what this might do for 1080p tv's.

Also, you guys really wouldn't buy a console based on its looks when the predecessor looks almost identical? Like, you're trying to play games on it, not date it. I'm honestly flabbergasted so many care about the looks of a console.

I really think so many of you are being naive in thinking the performance boost won't mean much to you. When other console owners are running Final Fantasy, Horizon, Mass Effect, Red Dead (?!), etc. with better perfomance in "Pro" mode you'll be bummed.

Pro definitely isn't for everyone, but i'm thrilled there's now a console option to play games on not a three year old console.

If visuals are enhanced along with the checkerboard rendering, then I'm certainly intrigued, that's more then I was before reading this.

Thank you Scrotum.

My hype went over to the XB1s the moment Sony announced that the Pro doesn't have a UHD4k player. My original plan was to upgrade my vanilla ps4, but since I don't own the xbox one, wanting to get back into that ecosystem with all the xbox live and xbox gold games on my account, and the UHD playback, my decision was easy from there. I expect killer Xb1s black friday deals. I was gonna wait for the Scorpio, but meh. I have a moderate gaming PC and can throw in a 1070 to go with existing 16gb RAM and 4690k if/when I want to surpass/meet Scorpio performance.

viHuGi

Banned
Your PS4 was already "outdated" when it came out.
The pro is also running outdated tech.

Yeah because Rx 480 is outdated and consoles are made to have ultra premium tech like Ps3 and sell for 600e, makes sense.

8gb Vram and GDDR 5 is also outdated no doubt, that's why cutting edge graphics card still use them.

I'm posting this here since it's about PS4 Pro.

A new gameplay video of Killing Foor 2 on PS4 Pro with technical details from the devs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YL3SMkGy3A&feature=youtu.be

The PlayStation 4 Pro version of KILLING FLOOR 2 features the following enhancements

* 1800p checkboard rendering on 4K TV (3200x1800) optimized for 4K TVs
* Effectively supersampling and increased fps on HDTV
* Using additional memory to increased texture resolution to "Ultra Textures"

Melchiah

I don't think the majority of console users like graphics enough to respend $400 on a console that plays games they can already play on a console they already own.

Also, I feel like recent history shows that hardware power doesn't matter all that much to the general public when they're making their console buying decisions.

Yet millions bought the original PS4 for 400€, eventhough many of the multiplatforms were available on the last gen systems as well. There are also millions of people, who haven't yet moved to this gen.

Malcolm9

Your PS4 was already "outdated" when it came out.
The pro is also running outdated tech.

Can you keep it relevant to the thread, as a console it isn't outdated, it will be the most powerful console available, fact.

I'm not sure on your agenda here with your comment. If you aren't hyped for it fair enough, but don't start chucking BS comments in.

Yopis

Yeah because Rx 480 is outdated and consoles are made to have ultra premium tech like Ps3 and sell for 600e, makes sense.

8gb Vram and GDDR 5 is also outdated no doubt, that's why cutting edge graphics card still use them.

A ton of the cost was bluray drive. And gpu was weaker than the one in 360 for the record.

shounenka

I think it's fair to say that Sony aped the whole Pro moniker from Apple.

Except unlike its inspiration, I'm not even sure if the device even deserves the name "Pro." Something like "PS4 Grafx" seems more apt.

The problem is that a lot of us (maybe unfairly so) were expecting the Neo, not a retread of NEC's failed strategy with the PC Engine back in the day.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Perfect summary.

Our pre order numbers for the Pro are pretty ridiculous at the moment and most of the people pre ordering already own a PS4.

When people see the BF1 pro patch when compared to the base ps4 BF1 I think it will single handedly help sell the console. Even if you don't have a 4K television.

hichanbis

Banned
The PS3 was outdated (GPU-wise) when it came out. You can´t win this argument.

"Outdated" for a console doesn't make sense.
Consoles have always been less powerful than the best PCs of their time but they usually make up for it with optimization and the use of their low level APIs.

That's why there's nothing as beautiful as Uncharted 4 or The Order on PC and that's why on the PS3 that only had 512Mo of RAM you could have games like GTA V while it required 8go to run on PC.

Now can we go back to the thread's topic please?

Arttemis

1080p TV owner here with no ambition to get a 4K TV for years. I already have $400 in Best Buy gift cards ready to go for the PS4 Pro.

There are only a few things I want:

Rocket League - better AA
Battlefront - god knows what - higher native resolution?
Bloodborne - framerate stability, anything, something, please!
Dark Souls 3 - anything!

And every future game having some kind of visual or framerate improvement.

I can only answer for myself and it's because I have absolutely no interest in it after only buying a PS4 a year and a half (two maybe) years ago. It's essentially collecting dust game wise for the past few months actually. I bought it for Bloodborne and there really isn't much else that interests me, nothing 'big' that looks appealing to me.

I know the game library thing will change for me in the coming months but still, the hardware is still quite new to me and I don't see why on earth I'd buy yet another damn system when this one hasn't really been worth it yet for me.

Can you keep it relevant to the thread, as a console it isn't outdated, it will be the most powerful console available, fact.

I'm not sure on your agenda here with your comment. If you aren't hyped for it fair enough, but don't start chucking BS comments in.

There wouldn't be a need for a Pro console if it wasn't though.

RootCause

Our pre order numbers for the Pro are pretty ridiculous at the moment and most of the people pre ordering already own a PS4.

When people see the BF1 pro patch when compared to the base ps4 BF1 I think it will single handedly help sell the console. Even if you don't have a 4K television.

So it's getting a healthy amount of preorders?

Neff

Games tho...and where your peers play, much more important than features. Pro is an easy upgrade for a lot of current PS4 users IMO.

I'm not talking about users jumping ship, I'd imagine a lot of PS4 users are very happy where they are, as I am.

But I think that's Sony's problem with offering Pro as an 'upgrade'. It's just not a big enough incentive to upgrade for a lot of already-existing PS4 owners. Gamers already part of the Sony experience with money to spare for another console (as I was this month resulting in a very happy XB1 S purchase) are probably going to go for the games on consoles they'd otherwise be locked out of, rather than a slightly higher-res or even upscaled Horizon or Spider-Man. And Bloodborne gets nothing?

First time PS4 buyers though? Pro is a no-brainer fantastic purchase.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I don't really get this reaction gif?
I think its because people do get excited with iPhones even though its like getting excited for a Nintendo console and its graphics, to them its new to everyone else its a generation behind.

icespide

Banned
I think its because people do get excited with iPhones even though its like getting excited for a Nintendo console and its graphics, to them its new to everyone else its a generation behind.
what? iPhones are generations behind?

I'm pretty excited.

5dU2vtt.png

I think it would be unfair for me to say that my hype for the PS4 Pro died. Rather, I would say that my hype for owning every new game console has finally died. I used to feel like I was missing out if I didn't own the latest and greatest from Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo. I've finally become a somewhat balanced human and realized that I barely have time to play the games I want for just one of those platforms, let alone two.

I sold my OG PS4 with the intention of getting a Pro on launch day, but now I just don't feel like I even need a Playstation console. I hope everyone who does get one really enjoys it though. The idea of better looking versions of games like Battlefield 1 sounds awesome.

You seen BF1 running on pro?

Hype trains are dumb

no they ain't.

i was super excited for uncharted 4 since like 2013, and it was awesome.

i was super excited for digimon story cyber sleuth without even knowing very much about it beforehand, and i played it like it was an addiction earlier this year.

i was super excited for luke cage the tv show and it was awesome.

hype trains are good rides. the hype is fuckin real, yo.

Top Bottom