• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Scribblenauts announced for NDS

Dacvak said:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-super-scribblenauts/101180

FUCK. YES. Day 1. Again.

Edit: SWEET! Life bars confirmed.

irVX4.png

I'm hoping so hard I'm in this game again. With huge HP. =P

So fucking awesome to see our work in motion for the first time. I am cry :D

komojo

Neo Member
I've played the game and I can confirm that the stylus controls have been heavily improved. I don't even normally like stylus-based player movement, but I think it feels natural in Super Scribblenauts and I even prefer it to the dpad controls. It's much better than the first game.

Majukun

Jackson said:
They're better for sure, but you try making 20,000 words and 10,000 adjectives all be awesome. It's hard work. But yes a lot of love has been added to help that. :p It's still a DS game though.
please jackson,put more efforts on translations this time,the italian localisation of the first game was horrible,i have found more words in the english version than the italian one:D

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Majukun said:
please jackson,put more efforts on translations this time,the italian localisation of the first game was horrible,i have found more words in the english version than the italian one:D

Agreed, it was awful.
That's why I played it in english... also, I have to admit I'm not familiar with internet memes in italian :lol Although a bunch of them weren't even translated.

http://nzgamer.com/ds/previews/869/super-scribblenauts-hands-on.html
I learned today from 5th Cell creative director and co-founder, Jeramiah Slaczka, who coached me through my Scribblenauts 2 hands on, that the original game had been meant for casual gamers. “It's a DS game,” he said, by way of explanation, and added that those that got bored with it were mostly game journos. Scribblenauts was never meant to be a game for the core; E3 2009 saw that it got rolled into the hype machine and churned around until it became one of the year's most eagerly anticipated titles.

Interesting quote. I wonder if that implies Super Scribblenauts is attempting to be aimed at a different audience

Blizzard

Banned
One thing I should ask Jackson about is, didn't he/the company say that Scribblenauts was 5th Cell's last DS game and they were changing platforms? I wonder if they changed their minds after it sold well, or if a different internal team is doing it (I seem to recall at least one of the devs/internal guys left), or what.

jkanownik

I was a little disappointed with the demo. After sparkly and shiny didn't work as adjectives I stopped using adjectives altogether. I then tried to kill a witch with water and that didn't work. I played a puzzle level so the improved controls didn't really come into play. I'll still buy it day one but I have lowered expectations. I wish 5th cell had let WB outsource Super Scribblenauts to a bigger studio and just focused on their next title.

SirPenguin said:
Super Scribblenauts is taking the bad things out of Scribblenauts, it seems.

-D pad controls, better touch screen controls
-Camera doesn't snap back
-A much smaller emphasis on Action Levels (the most frustrating), almost all focused on puzzle levels
-Levels are bigger, have better hint systems, and can have multiple parts
-Improved physics, especially in terms of weight

With the fundamental issues fixed, I think Scribblenauts finally has a chance to win over the hardcore gaming crowd

oh good to know, very nice. We'll see then.

WowBaby

Blizzard said:
One thing I should ask Jackson about is, didn't he/the company say that Scribblenauts was 5th Cell's last DS game and they were changing platforms? I wonder if they changed their minds after it sold well, or if a different internal team is doing it (I seem to recall at least one of the devs/internal guys left), or what.

Good selling games help pay for future projects, so a second and better Scribblenauts was a good idea.

Cyndar

Neo Member
Just thought I'd point out a glitch I discovered, in case this gets seen by the Powers-That-Be. If you equip a Fishing Rod, then attach (Through glue, tape, whatever.) an object to it, and finally 'use' the Fishing Rod on something else, the game freezes instantly. Music keeps playing. No response to anything, though.

komojo

Neo Member
jkanownik said:
I was a little disappointed with the demo. After sparkly and shiny didn't work as adjectives I stopped using adjectives altogether. I then tried to kill a witch with water and that didn't work. I played a puzzle level so the improved controls didn't really come into play. I'll still buy it day one but I have lowered expectations. I wish 5th cell had let WB outsource Super Scribblenauts to a bigger studio and just focused on their next title.

I don't know what you thought you saw, but "shiny" works. So does killing a witch with water.

Blizzard said:
Well, Jackson was shown in Nintendo's reel of developer interviews about the 3DS, so they're probably working on something for that. In the full thing (http://e3.nintendo.com/interviews/#/?v=interview_slaczka) he said Maxwell could have benefited from the 3DS's slide pad, so maybe a Scribblenauts for 3DS?

GDGF

Soothsayer
I figure there's no licensed stuff and I haven't gone through this thread yet, but has anyone put the equivalent to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in there just to see what pops out?

So, any impressions on this from fellow GAFers?

Found a bunch of videos here and there of people playing the game. Looks solid. Even the Giant Bomb guys praised it in their latest podcast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpA731lQy8w&feature=player_embedded <- This level looks more involved than literally every level from the original

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEBE9hPF4qE&feature=player_embedded <- Neat demo by a game dev. Also there's a silly pirate vs. ninja fight, with a twist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4lthHshzmY <- A compilation of a bunch of videos, some that I already shared. Interesting stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MslLQU86LFQ <- A developer walkthrough

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Couldn't find a newer thread but I don't think this needs a new one. But WB sent me a PR for this today; I thought it was quite awesome.

scribPR2.jpg

It's all magnetised and you can move the words around. Very cool.

Blizzard

Banned
I guess I missed the headphone memo! I preordered online, hopefully I don't have the same debacle as last time where I picked my PREORDERED game up in the evening and they were already all out of the preorder item.

Sill4

I wasn't registered when the last game released, but I followed the thread religiously, with all the bannings and people getting early copies.

I really liked the first game, and it's so cool that some of the devs are here interacting with us, but in a way that doesn't come off as PR crap. Also really awesome that the feedback was taken into account to improve the sequel.

Can't wait for SScribblenauts. You guys have my support!

jkanownik

komojo said:
I don't know what you thought you saw, but "shiny" works. So does killing a witch with water.

Maybe it was the noun I was trying to modify (guitar) and the type of water I used. The guitar did not look shiny and the witch didn't die.

It's a shame that the first title left a bad taste in some people's mouths. People aren't really talking about this title despite looking like a really fantastic sequel, improving on literally every issue.

The game is shaping up really nicely

dnh5zd.jpg

zldws7.jpg

4hw9br.jpg

29lzcqs.jpg

25f11ty.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
I got my rooster hat at long last. Jackson is the man. :D Now I just need to acquire a cat. I look forward to Super Scribblenauts despite the possibility of mediocre adjective functionality!

Craft: MEDIOCRE SWORD

So I'm going to draft up the OT sometime this weekend and post it, unless someone else wants that duty. There's been a pretty muted response to SS so far from the gaming community, so I'll probably spend like all topic convincing people they fixed problems! :lol

Speaking of which, SS gets a 9 from IGN:
http://ds.ign.com/articles/112/1126909p1.html

BooJoh

Can't wait. The only reason I haven't ordered yet is because I'm waiting for my $10 credit from 4HoL to go through on Amazon.

The first was by far the most imaginative game I've played in years. One that really grew just as much as your creativity did. With its issues being ironed out for the sequel, I would have a hard time not recommending this to anyone. Gotta get two copies, need one for mom :D

Jackson said:
More good scores to come :)

Will buy. I bought the first one and I didn't regret it.

That said, why is everything so quiet on your end? You guys should be blitzing the media with PR, news, cakes, and what not. I don't want this game to be overlooked by people. The review just ambushed up on me.

Jackson

SirPenguin said:
Congrats, guys! You guys will probably be celebrating all weekend, eh?

I'm in Hollywood this weekend for the launch event.

Cow Mengde said:
Will buy. I bought the first one and I didn't regret it.

That said, why is everything so quiet on your end? You guys should be blitzing the media with PR, news, cakes, and what not. I don't want this game to be overlooked by people. The review just ambushed up on me.

We have been. The game's doing really well in preorders :)

totowhoa

Banned
Great review... glad to hear that everything is playing great this time around :D Not sure if I'm going day 1 or not with all the games coming out over the next three months, but I'll be picking it up for myself and a few more as christmas gifts sometime :) My 11 year old niece loved the first one.

Top Bottom