• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Scribblenauts announced for NDS

hokahey

Clever. Game uses adjectives. The title is "Super Scribblenauts." I'm a big fan of "Super" being used in gaming.

+1 hoping for Super Wii.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Scribblenauts was a big disappointment, but I have higher hopes for this one. Still going to wait for reviews/impressions before buying it (but I might just rent it off Gamefly).

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
IGN has a preview up now, just in case anybody didn't know.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/109/1095753p1.html
IGN said:
Adjectives significantly increase the amount of stuff you can summon into the game. Whereas previously you could bring in a car, now you can call in an "undead" car, an "angry" car, or a "pregnant" car. Objects will react accordingly to their adjectives. For instance, that pregnant car will eventually give birth to a baby car. Oh, and the formerly pregnant car will now be a skinny car. Weird, huh? One of my favorite examples was when we summoned an undead bee. Zombies love brains, right? So we brought in an explosive brain. The undead bee couldn't resist it.

A winged gun, a drivable tomato, a scholarly shark… All of these and so many more can be created in Super Scribblenauts. There are around 10,000 adjectives in the game. More than one adjective can be strung together before a noun to make, say, a Hungry Hairless Horny Lion (actually, not sure about that horny part). The only restrictions are vulgar words and the 100 character limit.

I'm not sure how a pregnant car will help me solve anything... but I don't really care. stringing adjectives sounds really exciting too.

Clevinger

SirPenguin said:
Super Scribblenauts is taking the bad things out of Scribblenauts, it seems.

-D pad controls, better touch screen controls
-Camera doesn't snap back
-A much smaller emphasis on Action Levels (the most frustrating), almost all focused on puzzle levels
-Levels are bigger, have better hint systems, and can have multiple parts
-Improved physics, especially in terms of weight

With the fundamental issues fixed, I think Scribblenauts finally has a chance to win over the hardcore gaming crowd

I'll wait for impressions before I buy it. I lost all faith in anything this developer will claim to do when they fucked up something so incredibly simple and fundamental in the first one. I mean, how could they play around with it for five minutes without thinking the camera snapping back was the dumbest and clunkiest idea in the world? Complete fucking incompetence.

Shiggie

Clevinger said:
I'll wait for impressions before I buy it. I lost all faith in anything this developer will claim to do when they fucked up something so incredibly simple and fundamental in the first one. I mean, how could they play around with it for five minutes without thinking the camera snapping back was the dumbest and clunkiest idea in the world? Complete fucking incompetence.
Jesus, did it kill your first born?
You really need to lighten up.

Cool, so instead of just clubbing everyone to death, I can beat them with a golden baseball bat this time. :|

But seriously, I'm not falling for it this time.

Fakto

krae_man said:
I'm holding out for Scribblenauts 64.

2367515373_515ff7a325.jpg

Well, the adjective things sounds kinda cool, but I'm trying to imagine how it would play out in-game, and I don't see it radically altering the gameplay. Better character controls and a better camera system are more significant, IMO.

I got the original day one. I think I'll wait on this one, to see if it really addresses the issues in the first. I love the original game, but I am gonna need a little more than "just like 1 should have been" to make a purchase.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm interested.

I loved Scribblenauts at first but I ended up losing interest pretty fast.
Once you discovered something like Helicopter + Rope it would become your solution to most of the problems. Outside of the early levels I couldn't do any giraffe on stilts wearing a top hat kind of shit and pass a level. It can't be easy but I hope they can find a way to keep the puzzles challenging while keeping them open ended enough to allow for some truely creative solutions.

Also, D-Pad movement please. Using the stylus for like a dozen different things including making Maxwell walk was a real boner. I accidentally jumped off so many cliffs.

So yeah, there is a lot of room for improvement but if 2 can deliver what 1 promised, it could be very nice.

Yeah, it would be really nice if 5th Cell could come up with some sort of solution for that. I reused the same basic items so many times in the original. I don't think it was constrictive enough about the issue of reusing items, but I can't imagine how you could place restrictions on that without making the game unbearably frustrating.

Sloane

Banned
Galactic Fork said:
I'm not sure how a pregnant car will help me solve anything... but I don't really care.
I do. I liked the general idea behind Scribblenauts but its use in the actual game was... disappointing. And I'm not sure yet if the addition of adjectives helps or makes things even worse. The main focus should really be on level design and puzzles this time.

Jackson

D-pad controls are in, Stylus controls are changed.

Levels focus on unique puzzles so you can't solve levels with Flying Object + Rope + God/Death/Weapon.

Deeper level editor.

New crazy imaginative feeling again with adjective system.

I'm so sick of repeating myself... lol

Jackson said:
D-pad controls are in, Stylus controls are changed.

Levels focus on unique puzzles so you can't solve levels with Flying Object + Rope + God/Death/Weapon.

Deeper level editor.

New crazy imaginative feeling again with adjective system.

I'm so sick of repeating myself... lol

Hey, Jackson. :D It's good to see you posting here.

I just wanted to chime in about the use of the word "Super." I love it! Everything should be "Super."

Loved the first one. Sure, pegasus/rope solved too much, but if you spammed it, you're only cheating your own imagination. Glad to hear the controls are fixed. Super excited.

KAP151

Brobzoid said:
Any world on you being able to control the character in this one?

This. First one was garbage due to control. So much potential and the shitty controls ruined it.

Should be absolute priority.

Acheteedo

So glad I waited for the sequel, looks like they took all the criticism to heart... buuuut I still might wait for an iphone version.

Acheteedo said:
So glad I waited for the sequel, looks like they took all the criticism to heart... buuuut I still might wait for an iphone version.
Have fun never playing Scribblenauts.

Even if an iPhone version happened, being touch screen only means that it'll just suffer from all the problems the first DS game did, more so with fingers being less precise than a stylus.

Jackson

CryingWolf said:
Hey, Jackson. :D It's good to see you posting here.

I just wanted to chime in about the use of the word "Super." I love it! Everything should be "Super."

Thanks. :) Ya I'm happy with the title! It fits pretty well.

Acheteedo

toythatkills said:
Have fun never playing Scribblenauts.

What have they said? I don't remember any denial of a version being in the works.

edit - in fact, the opposite is true:

5th Cell said:
“The concept would definitely work on other platforms as well and we’ve seen gamers from very different backgrounds pick it up and enjoy it equally,” said Fahlbusch.

He added: “We’ve seen both kinds of gamers instantly taking to the game, the casual gamer that played a few games before as well as hardcore ones that play nothing but the latest titles on PS3 and X360.“But we never limited ourselves to the DS as platform in our heads and we’ll see what the future holds.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=367751

toythatkills said:
Even if an iPhone version happened, being touch screen only means that it'll just suffer from all the problems the first DS game did, more so with fingers being less precise than a stylus.

That's a good point... that makes it tough, on the one hand I'd rather have crisper graphics and have it with me all the time, on the other hand I'd prefer d-pad control.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Sounds like big improvements to me. I'll definitely buy again, DS Needs some lovin'.

Jackson

Acheteedo said:
What have they said? I don't remember any denial of a version being in the works.

edit - in fact, the opposite is true

iPhone!! Never!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
maybe, someday

AFAIK, Jackson has never denied that Scribblenauts would come to Wii/PC/iDevice/etc. in some form. He just denied that Super Scribblenauts would be multiplatform. That WBIE leak last year listed "Scribblenauts 2" for Wii and PC as well; while the Wii and PC SKUs might not be the same game as Super Scribblenauts, literally everything else on that list has proven accurate thus far, so there's a good chance of an announcement about that in the near future.

Colocho

Banned
After the first one fell flat on its face due to the monumental amount of hype it had, I can't say I give a fuck about this one.

Forkball

Colocho said:
After the first one fell flat on its face due to the monumental amount of hype it had, I can't say I give a fuck about this one.
Did it fall flat on its face into a pile of money? Because it sold over a million copies.

I hope Jackson is sincere about the puzzles being less broken this time. Rope/pteradon/invincible monster solved most puzzles in the game I found.

Jackson

Forkball said:
I hope Jackson is sincere about the puzzles being less broken this time. Rope/pteradon/invincible monster solved most puzzles in the game I found.

We learned a lot, had more people and more time to make way more unique levels. Plus there's only like 20+ action levels which is where rope/flying stuff/gun worked.

FoneBone

charlequin said:
Are the words actually going to come closer to the level of interactions people were hoping for from the first game? Because if not, I don't think you can really say the "fundamental issues" are fixed.

For me, adjectives don't really strike me as adding much to the game compared to just deepening the existing interactions so that you get fewer solutions that "should" (but don't) work.
This. From the original thread on the game:
ShockingAlberto said:
The biggest problem with the game, as people said, was not the number of words. It was that you would write "drill" and the only thing the drill could do is act as a blunt object.

Jackson's never actually responded to that point, I note. Wait for Scribblenauts 3, if we're lucky.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I complained about how you rely on the same items for almost every puzzle, but I see how solving that is probably super difficult for 5th Cell to remedy.

It's just how our monkey brains work, when we find the tools that work we'll keep using them. It's not like we were forced to use God + Jetpack for every puzzle but in my experience, trying new stuff would usually lead to a lot of trial & error and frustration. Limiting the use of certain terms seems like the only realistic solution but I don't really like the idea of that.
Anyways, I'm still on board for SS and I look forward to seeing more details come out of E3. It could be like the coolest game ever if they make it work this time.

Jackson

FoneBone said:
This. From the original thread on the game:

Jackson's never actually responded to that point, I note. Wait for Scribblenauts 3, if we're lucky.

They're better for sure, but you try making 20,000 words and 10,000 adjectives all be awesome. It's hard work. But yes a lot of love has been added to help that. :p It's still a DS game though.

trinest

I wanna cheat- like I'm pretty sure in the original if you summoned a star or something it didn't count as the levels one.

I wan't to do that.

Jackson said:
They're better for sure, but you try making 20,000 words and 10,000 adjectives all be awesome. It's hard work. But yes a lot of love has been added to help that. :p It's still a DS game though.

If I write Lock's Quest 2, will the game appear?

Diglet

Neo Member
I agree with what someone posted before about having a drill, actually drill.

I got the first one and played with it for 2 days, and got bored at world 3. I would use the same items everytime and the controls were mad frusterating.

Jackson

jrricky said:
Well enough? Jackson is RICH, RICH I tell ya!!:D
So not lol...

Also Bobby Kotick needs to give some of the $240,000,000 he made in the last 2 years to charity. He's obscene.

Top Bottom