• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 3D Mario game shown in Nintendo Switch trailer

Lijik

The town area gives off a Galaxy vibe more than anything else. It looks like theres items or something on the rooftops, the way theres a tight rope connecting various roofs, and theres the arrows pointing out the umbrella to the left (possibly a way to launch up to the roof?). Like you could run straight through town if you want, but it seems like you can also poke around the sides and tops of the town.

It reminds of a lot of stages in Galaxy where even though the stage as a whole was linear, thered be little areas along the way that weren't expansive by any means but you could still explore them to wring out extra items or find something like a fire flower to open up a hidden path. Land/World felt very forward focused most of the time especially with the time limit so there werent a lot of areas where you could just just suss out a space.

RagnarokX

Camera and the heart mainly, you can also see another path in the first picture of the OP which is the second part of the gif

The way the camera shows mario is the same way it shows mario in 64 if you dont change anything. Or rather when you start a level

https://youtu.be/KN7o97fwCNg?t=126

But when people say it's like Mario 64 they're talking about level design, but this level at least is more like Mario Galaxy and 3D Land/World.

Where's this other path? The level appears to continue after Mario turns left. It doesn't continue straight ahead and the right side is nothing. That section is perpendicular to the first section, and the giant pillar of light and the moon are to the left.

RagnarokX

Those damn rings. I know they have been in mario games before, but they didn't look like that or ever been stacked for collecting so openly, have they?

Yes, all the time.

Wii_U_screenshot_TV_0145_C.jpg

People act like Mario 64 was this huge open world. It wasn't. Sunshine had larger open levels than 64 did, and that game wasn't that well received compared.

I think Galaxy gave the perfect balance of open levels with linear goals. The 3D World Series was definitely more linear, but I'd argue the level design was slightly improved because of it.

I don't see why anyone would "hate" either style. Mario is fun to play, no matter what.

Sunshine was more expansive, but there was still a lot of exploring and levels in Mario 64, and it certainly felt more open-world then Galaxy did.

I'm personally hoping that the new Mario games expands on Sunshine's levels and exploration, but a return to the more Galaxy style of gameplay and open levels, wouldn't bother me either.

You're Goddamn right.

It's like, did we play different games or something? The game design, art, and music were insane. Only thing I didn't care for were the bosses. Oh well, I'd wager more people liked it than didn't, so who cares. Reviews were great too.

Now obviously I welcome this 64/Galaxy looking game with arms wide open, but 3D Land and 3D World were fantastic games.

DeathPeak

I mean, there's no clock or points being displayed. That leads me down the road towards a more open Mario. Obviously, it's still too early to know.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
It's like, did we play different games or something? The game design, art, and music were insane. Only thing I didn't care for were the bosses. Oh well, I'd wager more people liked it than didn't, so who cares. Reviews were great too.

Now obviously I welcome this 64/Galaxy looking game with arms wide open, but 3D Land and 3D World were fantastic games.

It's that attitude I can't abide - some people just seem to think in terms of "If this game isn't like my one most favorite thing, it's total garbage and anyone who disagrees is lying and pretending it's good."

You see it around games that have really obsessive fandoms. Mario, Zelda, etc.

1476972438879.png

that house on the left has a door and says ......cap.
look at the designs on either side of the door, is that wings either side of a flower?

gai_shain

But when people say it's like Mario 64 they're talking about level design, but this level at least is more like Mario Galaxy and 3D Land/World.

Where's this other path? The level appears to continue after Mario turns left. It doesn't continue straight ahead and the right side is nothing. That section is perpendicular to the first section, and the giant pillar of light and the moon are to the left.

It looks like you can go left even before crossing the "sand" pit.
There could also be something in the sand pit since theres some black stuff "brewing" right below the heart.
Im also not sure that theres nothing ahead, it could go down again which we wouldnt see.
It also looks like the town that was shown could have a left path which can be seen by pausing the video when it first shows the town.

But I was mainly talking about the heart and the camera since the camera reminded me of the 64 camera instantly.

MrBadger

And even then, they're bosses in a Mario game so they can be forgiven for not being amazing. I really liked the big ol' snake and the last Bowser fight

I'm glad I'm a big fan of 3D World and the Galaxy games, makes it impossible to be let down by whatever this turns out to be

HYDE

Banned
Übermatik;220892478 said:
That skybox is making me smile. Beautiful huge moon in the back there, and that trademark Nintendo blue sky/clouds + glare... so good!

See that Moon you can go there...and I'm calling it those mts. are transparent cause you got to hit switches like SMW to make them appear.

E-Cat

I would prefer open world level design to linear, but at least the game looks immersive. It's the camera positioning, really.

Violet_0

Banned
3D World was incredible.

yes, incredible - incredibly lame!

nah I rather like that game though I only played it for a couple hours, but I'm much more of an exploration-type player rather than someone who is mainly looking for meticulously crafted challenges, and we haven't had a more open world-ish Mario game since the Gamecube. You only need to look at Yooka-Laylee to see what a modern Banjo-Kazooie game can look like to imagine what Nintendo you could do with the Mario 64 or Sunshine formula nowadays

RagnarokX

It looks like you can go left even before crossing the "sand" pit.
There could also be something in the sand pit since theres some black stuff "brewing" right below the heart.
Im also not sure that theres nothing ahead, it could go down again which we wouldnt see.
It also looks like the town that was shown could have a left path which can be seen by pausing the video when it first shows the town.

But I was mainly talking about the heart and the camera since the camera reminded me of the 64 camera instantly.

At the beginning the camera is zoomed out enough to show that there's just empty desert behind the buildings on the left. I think there's a small courtyard to the left of the fountain but that's it.

You might be able to get up the left wall before crossing the pit, but 3D World had had levels just like that. I don't think it's another path so much as it's a wide section of the single linear path. The level is shaped kinda like a zig zag tetris piece.

8ij7ltpl.jpg

You can definitely fall in the sand pit. I doesn't appear to be quicksand. It has enemies in it that burrow in the sand down there. We get a pretty good look at what's in the pit and that appears to be it.

I don't have a screenshot, but I'm personally wondering what the deal is with the purple arrows pointing at the yellow umbrella at the start.

Aldric

Your argument saying the level design is linear because there's a clear goal indicated by the game is patently absurd because this is something that debuted in Sunshine yet you lump Sunshine into the non linear Mario category alongside 64.

gai_shain

At the beginning the camera is zoomed out enough to show that there's just empty desert behind the buildings on the left. I think there's a small courtyard to the left of the fountain but that's it.

You might be able to get up the left wall before crossing the pit, but 3D World had had levels just like that. I don't think it's another path so much as it's a wide section of the single linear path. The level is shaped kinda like a zig zag tetris piece.

8ij7ltpl.jpg

You can definitely fall in the sand pit. I doesn't appear to be quicksand. It has enemies in it that burrow in the sand down there. We get a pretty good look at what's in the pit and that appears to be it.

yeah thats possible

qqnwD2f.jpg

This looks like the top corner of a building for me though.

Could also only be background or some very straight rock ofcourse

hilarious how one camera angle switch can make people think "OMG MARIO 64-2" instead of the next extension of 3D World/Land this 100% looks like

It is kinda silly. It can go either way but I think people want one thing or another from it going in. Also lol at your leak, got me rollin more than it should.

Also why are the rings still in question lawd.

RagnarokX

Your argument saying the level design is linear because there's a clear goal indicated by the game is patently absurd because this is something that debuted in Sunshine yet you lump Sunshine into the non linear Mario category alongside 64.

The level appears to look like this:
HMoVKdDl.jpg

It's a linear corridor surrounded by walls and/or empty death desert planes.

Sunshine's worlds, on the other hand, are big areas you can run around in any direction because they have multiple missions.
PyDwaOLl.png

Your first mission may take you to the top of the windmill, but you have all that town and lake area that you can visit if you want and have to visit in later missions.

The design of the level in the Mario Switch footage doesn't appear to have that design in mind. It looks like you go down one path and you're done and move on.

Da-Kid

If it's in the style of SM64 and Galaxy, please have powerups work like the classic games and 3DL/World I despise how powerups were in Galaxy and 64.

Realeza

Banned
Ragnarox, no offense my dude, but don't be ridiculous. You can't tell absolutely anything with what was shown. Don't over analyze things lmao.

But if you wanna keep going, overanalyze these images for me:

246938-super-mario-64-nintendo-64-screenshot-cool-cool-mountain.jpg

qqnwD2f.jpg

246946-super-mario-64-nintendo-64-screenshot-lethal-lava-land.jpg

mario642.jpg

960.jpg

Shredderi

Oh no. That looks disappointingly like 3D world which was a huge step back from the brilliant and inspired galaxy games. To see them revert more into this direction is disheartening. Galaxy gave me that sense of wonder and awe when I played it. The Wii U game gave me boredom. C'mon Nintendo. Make Mario's big debut on the new console be inspired and fresh. Did they really just run out of ideas. Heh, a lot of assumptions made based on a very small look into the game, but I'll adjust my opinion on it as they release more material on it.

Aldric

HMoVKdDl.jpg

Sunshine's worlds, on the other hand, are big areas you can run around in any direction because they have multiple missions.
PyDwaOLl.png

Your first mission may take you to the top of the windmill, but you have all that town and lake area that you can visit if you want and have to visit in later missions.

The design of the level in the Mario Switch footage doesn't appear to have that design in mind. It looks like you go down one path and you're done and move on.

You've pulled these "death" areas straight out of your ass. There seems to be explorable areas on the left and on the right indicated by a sand dune with one of these ice mountains next to it. Actually if this was really 3D World style level design you'd have a narrow path to follow and all the ground around that central area would be replaced by bottomless pits which is obviously not the case here.

HMoVKdDl.jpg

PyDwaOLl.png

Wow...talking about tales of my ass. You had a glimps of 3 seconda of the new game. You know NOTHING about it. Please stop.

RagnarokX

Ragnarox, no offense my dude, but don't be ridiculous. You can't tell absolutely anything with what was shown. Don't over analyze things lmao.
You've pulled these "death" areas straight out of your ass. There seems to be explorable areas on the left and on the right indicated by a sand dune with one of these ice mountains next to it. Actually if this was really 3D World style level design you'd have a narrow path to follow and all the ground around that central area would be replaced by bottomless pits which is obviously not the case here.

We can tell there's empty desert on the left and right side of the town, which in past Mario games would be a death zone. This is further indicated by how later in the level there's a clear separation between the desert on the right and the part you can walk on, which is similar to Galaxy, 3D Land/World.
djQlQG7.jpg

The dunes to the side of the town are steep and tall, which they've used as barriers before:
7u1P3tG.png

Wow...talking about tales of my ass. You had a glimps of 3 seconda of the new game. You know NOTHING about it. Please stop.

No need to be rude. We're having a discussion and I'm pointing out what I see in the footage with visual aids. The level design in this footage looks like a cross between Galaxy and 3D World. They're very similar looking and appear to be using similar concepts.

tkscz

We can tell there's empty desert on the left and right side of the town, which in past Mario games would be a death zone. This is further indicated by how later in the level there's a clear separation between the desert on the right and the part you can walk on, which is similar to Galaxy, 3D Land/World.
djQlQG7.jpg

The dunes to the side of the town are steep and tall, which they've used as barriers before:
7u1P3tG.png

No need to be rude. We're having a discussion and I'm pointing out what I see in the footage with visual aids. The level design in this footage looks like a cross between Galaxy and 3D World. They're very similar looking and appear to be using similar concepts.

Did we forget about how some Mario Galaxy levels are made? Quite a few of the worlds in Galaxy had you go on linear paths that would lead to the star at the end.

Aldric

l have no clue what you're talking about. In the town scene there's a clear continuity between the ground Mario is walking on and the sand dunes stretching left and right beyond the boundaries of the screen. It's the same color and overall appearance (lethal sand is always portrayed in a different color or with different animation patterns to warn the player of the danger). If these places aren't explorable then it's simply wasted space which isn't something l expect from the folks at EAD Tokyo.

cacildo

I really
REALLY
hope its more sunshine/64 than 3d world/galaxy

Mario is perfect for open world
Its basically THE character for an open world game

When it happens people will be "oh my god why didnt nintendo made this sooner"

And also.... i hope they shove in local multiplayer, one player on the tv the other on the... joy con?

RagnarokX

Did we forget about how some Mario Galaxy levels are made? Quite a few of the worlds in Galaxy had you go on linear paths that would lead to the star at the end.

And Galaxy wasn't like Mario 64. You didn't have big hub worlds that you could run around in and go different directions to get different stars. Galaxy loaded essentially a different linear level with every mission that just shared the starting area at most.

I'm saying this level appears to be linear and designed similarly to how they were designed in Galaxy and 3D Land/World as opposed to an open world level.

Pappasman

I just hope Mario's movement is more like 64 and sunshine. Those games are still the pinnacle of 3d character movement in terms of fluidity, speed, and overall moveset.

Top Bottom